Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zarathustra00
Msg: 5
Getting lean, how do you loose weight with out loosing too much muscle?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I don't really change my resistance training too much when trying to peak. Generally, I still try to lift for hypertrophy though with slightly less volume.
The best way to loose fat without sacrificing too much muscle is to eat as close to maintenance while still losing as possible. In other words, less deficit means more lean mass maintained. If your maintenance intake is 2800 cal, eating 2500 will serve you better to maintain lean mass than suddenly dropping to 1800. And yes, it will also take abit longer...but worth it IMO.
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 6
Getting lean, how do you loose weight with out loosing too much muscle?
Posted: 7/22/2009 6:24:49 AM
For me personally, no matter how much I work out NUTRITION has been the reason I have noticed changes in my body. I alternate work outs and throw in cardio here and there all the time, but the food I eat and the few supplements I take have made the whole gym experience so much better. I eat a lot of good proteins, veggies and now some fruits. A lot of low fat, high fiber and low carbs. I am not losing size, just fat. And it works. I am actually adding muscle size, and losing fat. It comes easy for me, and thanks to the diet I live on things are falling into place. I also follow a lot of the above poster...^^^Lean and Green....cutting out certain foods, adding other ones helps. Salads are wonderful just don't use fatty dressings....(I use vinegar and lemon) and protein shakes are great as a meal supplement as long as they have a good protein ammount and are not full of sugar. I use a good Vanilla whey with ZERO sugar, 3 carbs and I use cold water or non fat low carb milk to mix it with. These are great for AFTER the gym or late night if you REALLY need food.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/22/2009 10:29:40 AM

Message: I've been working out for many years on and off with different goals each time. My latest personal goal is to get back to seeing my abs. I'm almost there but it's not easy getting leaner. One thing you have going for you is having a good amount of muscle.

Here are some of my suggestions:
1.) If you're drinking soda or diet soda, cut it out altogether. Even diet soda will go straight to fat.
2.) Don't eat after 9pm, period. The best thing to do is right after dinner brush your teeth and that's it for the night. Anything after that goes straight to the gut unless you're doing late-night workouts.
3.) Workout early in the morning. One of the easiest ways to burn fat is to get up early before you eat breakfast and go running around your neighborhood or hit the elliptical machine in your house while you watch the morning news or music videos. This right here will help more than almost anything. Do it at least 3 mornings a week, but don't run too much at first and get the right shoes.
4.) Expect you're going to lose muscle and not gain while you're doing this. You can't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, it is physically impossible. If you eat enough protein and calories to gain muscle, you're going to put on fat as well unless you do it just right. If you're doing lots of cardio sometimes it will burn muscle as well as fat to get the energy it needs.
5.) You say you're doing the bike, change it up all the time. Our bodies get used to something if we keep doing it, so sometimes do the bike, but higher intensity than you are used to. Other times go swimming, or run, or do the elliptical.
6.) One of the best ways to tone up is to drop the amount of weight you're doing way down and do sets of 25+ with that weight. Lots of repetition with lower weights = a cardio workout that will tone up the arms, chest, legs and any area you do it to.
7.) If you go to a gym, use the circuit machines. No breaks, period. Go when no one else really uses them if you can, set them all up then go through them without any pause, up the weights a little and do it again. 3 or 4 times through the circuit is a great cardio workout.
8.) Healthier meals. Avoid starches at night like pastas or rice. They go straight to your stomach unless you burn them all off after dinner on a bike ride. As much as I hate to say it, salad is your friend.
9.) Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. They fill you up but you don't get as many calories and you'll notice they help you get leaner quicker.
10.) Eat 5 smaller meals through the day. No eating out, no coffee, any of that. The benefit is this way if you do it right you don't get the sugar rushes that leave you tired at work. It will also keep your metabolism up all day long. For your two snacks keep them pretty healthy, do an apple and peanut butter or protein drink.
11.) Drink plenty of water. This flushes junk out of your system and helps you feel full. If you're serious about losing weight you really don't want to take in as many calories as you're used to.

I hope that helps, I'm personally around 10 pounds from my goal of seeing my abs again, you need to have a really low body fat percentage to see them so it isn't easy to get back to it.

Good luck,
Dave

Have to actually disagree with many of your points.
1) The artificial sweeteners have their drawbacks but 0 calories is 0 calories. How do they go straight to fat?
2) Your total calories is matters. 2500 total calories all eaten before 9pm does not allow one to lose fat as opposed to 2400 total with some of the calories consumed after 9pm.
3) Just as its total calories that matter, doing cardio in a glycogen depleted state is not necessarily more conduscive to fat loss. It maybe more catabolic though.
6) Trying to lift as heavy as you still can will allow you to retain more lean mass than doing very light weight. Let cardio and diet take care of creating the deficit, let resitance training take care of maintaining the muscle.
7) See above. Though circuit training has its benefits. It shouldn't replace regular resistance training.
8) See my reply to number 2).
10) Meal frequency boosting metabolism has been busted apparently. The advantage of frequent meals is that it keeps your sugar level steady and thus, less chance of binging.
11) 110% agreed about drinking more water.
 winteragain
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:08:27 PM
Energy in = energy out, which is the law of conservation of energy. To lose fat, burn more energy than you take in. You can eat 6 SMALL meals a day because it takes energy to process food, and can you imagine the amount of energy it takes to process complex carbs (whole grains) vs. simple carbs (white flour)? The Krebs cycle is your friend.

Drink green tea, steep a tea bag for 5 minutes (you can reuse the same tea bag throughout the day) the caffeine acts as a diuretic and you can't go wrong with its antioxidant properties so you'll lose water and some monetary amount of fat (thanks EGCG!).

Ketosis spares muscle while using fat as a fuel source (but a crappy fuel source compared to carbohydrates). Only problem: the amount of power (energy expended over time) is reduced at the cost of increased fat burning (lipolysis). You won't gain as much muscle as you would have if you didn't go on a ketogenic diet, but you also won't lose as much fat if you did go in one. Pick this poison if you really hate fat and can live with small muscle gains, but no muscle loss (provided you take in enough amino acids).

Another sure way to lose weight is take whatever you put in front of you and chop it in half. Eat on smaller plates. Don't eat simple carbs, it'll cause an insulin spike and prolongs, but doesn't increase, your appetite.
 Leadfingers
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 7:42:13 PM
I am also trying to burn off body fat. A calorie restricted diet combined with as much cardio as you can stomach seems to be most effective. If you are not getting enough protein you will inevitably loose muscle mass as your body cannibalizes other muscles for the building materials it needs to make repairs. One trick a body builder told me about is to drink a protein shake before bed/before your body goes catabolic. Casein protein takes the longest to digest and so will keep your body supplied with all it needs to make repairs while your asleep.

Try to make the bulk of your diet raw vegetables and lean meats like fish and poultry. Another trick is to drink a full glass of water before each meal. Try to fit in a snack between meals with calorie neutral foods such as celery, apples or a handful of nuts for the added proteins. I have also found that ZINC helps the body to recover/heal faster.

While cardio is crucial you also want to include resistance training to tone your muscles. I like to put in about 45 minutes of swimming a week when the pool at the gym is quiet. Sundays right after Church are a perfect time or bright and early on a saturdayn while everyone is sleeping in.

Simply the best way to loose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. Eat less...move more. The less you eat and the more you move the faster it will come off.
 techgirl27
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 4:57:08 PM
Less cardio, more resistance training, and more protein. Cardio burns the sugar that your muscles store, breaking them down and putting your body into a catabolic state. It is a multi - faceted approach and cannot be "simplified" in a sentence. You have to learn and use the beneficial route in every part of life, not just in one sentence.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >