Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Taking a Trip Down Memory Lane      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 23
Taking a Trip Down Memory LanePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Music however is my big trigger and you never know where you might be when you hear something that sets you down memory lane. My memory is in me, not in my items, if I need an item to remind me, it must not be that real a memory.

I can hear a song and it can take me back to the moment... Tears, smiles, can all be products of a simple memory... Mind you walking into Lowes can make me nostalgic too...

I have one poster-size picture on my wall, of an ex-girlfriend sitting on my 1994 Harley Wide-glide....dang, I miss that bike

geezer-glide.... So its true men are in love with their bikes...
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 24
Taking a Trip Down Memory Lane
Posted: 11/15/2009 9:04:03 AM
If you walk in my mothers home there are "things" lining each wall all the way around the room and into the next room and it literally drives me crazy...no free wall space.

The "things" are "things" she has received over the years and is afraid to do anything with cause it might hurt the person's feelings who gave it to her! My kids started giving me "things" a few years ago and I saw my mom's house in my mind and I quickly pointed out that while it is nice to give a gift and receive a gift...if you are just buying it cause it is a birthday, xmas, joyce's day or mother's day you are then obligating that person to that gift...so now they put more thought into things and the gifts are "things" that I can cherish down the road.

Then I thought of one of the "things" my mom has...when I was eight my father gave me some money to go shopping and I wanted to buy my mom something and I found this little red serving bowl...my mom still has it and uses it often...fire engine red. Everytime I go home I make sure that bowl ends up on the table.

Having "things" is good.
 louise1359
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/15/2009 2:43:32 PM
Photos and books, but I'm getting better about both--photos I can store electronically, and books. . . well, I'm letting go of paperbacks, using my local library a lot more, and donating to a good cause the hardbacks I don't want anymore.

When my divorce is final and I set up a more permanent home (we're sharing an apartment and the house, so the kids didn't have to move this year--we take turns in each place), I will take almost nothing. I want nothing because my S2BX ruins everything--a new item looks old in just a matter of weeks, because he won't wash or rinse anything and I couldn't keep up with the rate at which he dirtied things. I'm not that big on "stuff," but I intend to have unscarred pots and pans, nice towels and linens, plus some old, familiar furniture that hasn't been ruined for some reason.

As for "memories," I store most of them in my head and do not need physical reminders for most. One or two personal treasures--my grandma's engagement ring, a couple of things my kids' have made for me over the years. That's it!

I intend to live lean (but nice) and clean. No packrat here; no tolerance for the clutter and dust! And I have 3 kids, so no, I'm definitely not a neat freak, but I've learned the value of tossing stuff if it has been in a corner or under a bed long enough that it's clear no one has missed it.
 breath~
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/15/2009 3:19:30 PM
I got rid of a lot when I sold my house and moved to a small apartment.
A LOT.
Yes, memories were attached to many of those things.. but the older I get, the more I realize I just don't want to clean all those memories!
Besides, I didn't have room for them anyway.

But, I still crowded a lot into my little apartment.
Getting rid of a lot more right now, because I'm moving again... in 5 days!!
It feels GREAT!
The apartment I'm taking.. I'm thrilled with it... good chance I'll be there the rest of my life, who knows.
I want VERY LITTLE 'clutter' to clean!!!!!!!!

I sit back and enjoy the memories in my mind.
 spunkybum52
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:38:47 PM
I am a sentimental person (being a Cancerean).... and I do like to save pictures and maybe some special gifts, but I am not a "junk collector". I see nothing wrong with holding on to nice memory photos, as they are a part of your life. Why shouldn't you hold on to some of the nice things that happen to you? I have 2 nice pictures of my parents on my wall, and both of them have passed away years ago. I have pictures of great vacations, parties, etc in albums.... and why not? There is a difference in holidng a part of the past with you, and actually "living" in it, which I don't. I think you will find "most" people do have such photos of children as babies, weddings, etc.....that is pretty much the norm. I think people who don't have anything like that are pretty much the "minority". '

As for having pictures of past lovers, I don't think so. I don't think that is very good. I mean if you broke up, why would you want to hold on to something of that person. When you break up, move on. Unless your lover died, and you want to keep his memory, then don't keep photos of ex lovers... that's a bit creepy. I knew a guy who used to keep pictures of every girl he dated in a scrapbook.....the guy had a real problem.
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:34:06 PM
LOL wow can I relate to this .. My mom is a pack rat.. my first wife was a pack rat .. I am not a packrat and I smile just in knowing that I am not one. I do have a few things that I dont part with and they are there to pass on to my kids as they are from relatives who have passed on and all show a bit of the personality of the ones to whom they belonged. My kids think its neat and I plan on passing on these items to them so they can have a piece of knowledge of a family memeber they are too young to completely remember.

No I don't keep pics of old girlfriends or lovers ( most of those ladies I keep my memories of in my mind). I have a wall in the livingroom that I call the "wall of fame".. I have each of my childrens pictures there and all of the sporting teams and groups they were in as they were/ are ( youngest is 9). In the corner of each 8x10 is a pic of each of them taken when they were born.

I do have a collection of tools and such. Yes there are some duplicate items..but hey Iam a guy were allowed to have more than one hammer...lol. But I use all of those so they cant be called junk or me a packrat.

I told my kids that when I go they should each take a few things that they would like to have and sell the rest and go buy their own junk.
 wishingwell555
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:47:24 PM
So do you travel light or do you surround yourself with things from the past?

I have photos of previous lovers, X husbands, children, friends, relatives and everything that is and was special to me. I see no need to tear up or throw away photos that I took at any given time. They are special. (IMO)
No one better not ever try to throw away my photos!
 indefatigabilis
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:48:30 PM
I travel light. It all fits on the bike. The keepsakes are down to a very few small ones. Memories are another matter. They have a habit of filling any empty present moment, unconcerned with the formality of tense, belonging now by virtue of claiming as reminders any little things seen, heard, sensed, or come to mind however. It is said that people can live in the past, or be haunted by memories. For me it's like whatever I am most lonely for, some past example of that appears, brought to mind either to comfort me or finish me off, depending on which is stronger, either the echo of happiness or the stabbing loss. In the morning a memory makes me glad. At night, it makes me sad. Nights used to be the best, for knowing we would wake up together in the morning. Mope, mope, sigh, my dreary lullaby.
 cookie22222
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2009 11:14:18 AM
My home has always been, and always will be, filled with things that I like, or have meaning to me. Things I love, things given to me over the years, yes by exes, by family and friends, by my children while they were growing up. A painting of a woman holding a baby, from my kids' father, after our first child was born. A painting in my dining room, bought by my fiancee who went and died on me...he laughed at me, because the darn thing only cost $10, but I caught sight of it in a thrift store window and just loved it. Another painting, of the lighthouse on Cape May NJ...sent to me in Illinois a few months after I moved out there, because my friend said she knew how homesick I was. She died the following spring. Pictures of my boys, with their dad, pictures of my deceased fiancee, laughing in front of the volcano in Vegas, pictures of "the gang" in high school, my mother and us "kids" when we were young...my memories, my momentoes, the things that I cherish because of where they came from, my life represented in those silly things - worth nothing, but meaning everything to me.
 ~1happywoman~
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/16/2009 5:53:23 PM
This is a very timely thread for me, as I am cleaning out my mother's house as she passed away at age 91 just a few short weeks ago. She lived in this house for 57 years, and I grew up here. I am going back to New Zealand, so I had stored a lot of my things in her house. So, in effect, I am cleaning out the contents of two houses. My sister has been here and taken what she wanted. I have sorted through my belongings. I am going to have to pay thousands of dollars to ship my things to New Zealand, so that has helped with the sorting, to say the least!

My former mother-in-law said once that she thought everyone should move every five years, and it would definately cut down on the collecting. I think she has a point. You really would think about whether you wanted to pack and move some of that stuff over and over.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/17/2009 5:05:03 PM
Well my house burned down 2004, my kids are married, and I travel lots. I don't have more than I need.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/17/2009 5:13:57 PM

Books, books, books. I can never seem to part with a book.

That is the one thing I also have trouble parting with.. Luckily most of mine are reference type books so the library is not overflowing yet..

If it ever gets up there I will donate them to the library behind my home. This way I can just walk across and read them there.

thecatsmeoww
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/17/2009 5:17:31 PM

I have photos of previous lovers, X husbands, children, friends, relatives and everything that is and was special to me. I see no need to tear up or throw away photos that I took at any given time. They are special. (IMO)
No one better not ever try to throw away my photos!

My sister is really into photos as well as my older son.. Interesting I got contacted by someone on classmates and he had a photo of me in grade school.. Thanks to him I was able to post a before photo.

thecatsmeoww
 breath~
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/17/2009 5:26:56 PM
Margo, I'm sorry you had a house fire.

Tonight I went through Memory Lane..
found a site with all the 'candid photos' from my High School yearbook!
40 years ago.. what a hoot!
A special "wow" for the cars back then.
 Geezer-glide
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/18/2009 7:55:08 AM
from luiza6's post....

I had said....
I have one poster-size picture on my wall, of an ex-girlfriend sitting on my 1994 Harley Wide-glide....dang, I miss that bike

she replied...
geezer-glide.... So its true men are in love with their bikes...

Well, in this case, the bike treated me a lot better than the lady did!
 Gue$$who
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/18/2009 8:30:35 AM
In reference to a previous post, I to still have photos of men that were significant in my younger years which I don't find creepy. That was then and this is now and it forms part of our past. Guess it just depends on how you view things.
 mirabelle13
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/18/2009 12:11:48 PM
I'm going to be a guest on TV's new reality show: "Hoarders"!

I know I keep too much. I am trying not to buy anything new, LOL, and also trying to find new uses for old items.

The rest, well, I keep packing my attic and garage!
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 12:12:24 PM
I think I want to build a family pyramid in the desert with lots of catacombs to put all our "memories" for posterity. Maybe in a few generations, some offspring might actually find some brief entertainment in the junk.

I have a "museum" of technology including an Edison light bulb and Edison recordings with player but what I seem to treasure is the stupid drive-in movie speaker I forgot to take out of the car window.
 kari135
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 8:33:32 PM
I didn't have much when I reached adulthood. After I'd gotten married and moved west, I left everything we had that didn't fit in the car with my mother to ship later - one steamer trunk. She repacked it and redistributed all of it to other people she thought would need it more, and sent me one big box of her old - and I mean 1930s-40s closthing - to me because I would need 'good work clothes.' When I went to Alaska in '69, everything I had left fit in one footlocker. Two years later I moved from one house to another, and that footlocker bloomed into about 5 pickup loads, and I left the furniture behind for my roommate so she could rent the room furnished. It just grew and grew and in '67 I had a house fire that destroyed nearly everything, I had one cast iron frying pan, a cast iron flat iron, and about 10 books out of over 12,000. But I'm a stuff magnet, it just accumulates in dark corners like dust bunnies. Now I have all the trivia and mementos of 3,000 sf of houses that I'm trying vainly to stuff into a 1,000 sf house.

Sigh.
 crazy4mars
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/18/2009 10:54:21 PM
I'm pathetic....I held onto my wedding dress for 19 yrs from my 4 month marriage.
I still have the love letters from my high school bf, ekg and stuffed toys from my last dog.
I would like to know why I collect baseball caps...when I don't even wear them or the fact that I have at least a dozen umbrellas and live in sunny san diego.
Clearly there is a glitch in my cranium.
 kari135
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 9:35:51 AM

in '67 I had a house fire that destroyed nearly everything,

Ooops. It was 1987 I had the fire, not 1967. '67 was two years before I even went to Alaska... I really have to start using the cut and paste thing again.
 crazy4mars
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/19/2009 7:17:58 PM
Recycling is a good idea ...I could take up surfing again...and surf 12th st. Del Mar wearing a top made from caps and board shorts from the umbrella material....dropping the ex's love letters from a hot air balloon over his house. The wedding dress was donated to salvation army where I'm sure it came in handy at halloween.
Ice cold tequila shots, eating a burrito while waiting for the green flash....
 deb1961A
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/19/2009 7:24:52 PM
Ive got a hope chest full of old photo albums, but no x-lovers or any of that kind of stuff to be found. I've kept pictures of the x-husband and myself and the albums of us raising kids over 15 years, and my parents made albums for each of the kids to show some family roots.

I also had a whole storage locker full of books. Donated those to a church book sale. Felt good to be able to contribute something and be able to turn the keys in on the locker at the same time.

Ive moved a few times and tossed out or donated 6 cargo vans full of stuff on the last move. If I hadnt moved, Id probably have to park outside of my 2 car garage.

D
 pnut mnms
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/17/2009 7:30:32 PM
After my husband died almost 10 years ago when we were both 36, the last thing I wanted to do was divest myself of anything in the house, especially anything that was his or linked to his memory was kept. I donated most of his clothes to Goodwill about 6 months after he died and about 3 years after his death I finally went through every room in the house and started to give things away. Things that were quintessentially him, I kept and all of it is kept in an old hope chest in our daughter's room.

I went through every single one of our pictures of the 14 years we were together, organized them by year, then by month. I kept the best ones in new photo albums, tossed some of the doubles (always with the intention of giving them to friends/family but rarely getting around to it), finally mailed some of these old doubles in the Christmas cards that year and gave pictures that he brought into the marriage from his life before me to his old college roommates and his parents. The pre-"us" ones of him I kept, but there were plenty of people I never met nor could I recognize in some of them and one of his oldest friends called me after New Years to thank me profusely for the trip down memory lane after seeing these pics when he opened my Christmas card.

I used to keep clothes which had memories attached but most I have tossed or donated as I have all of those memories in my head and heart. After so many years go by, an item which used to evoke warm memories sometimes elicits nothing but a bittersweet longing for a time which will never be again, and it is better if these items are no longer in the house.

There are a handful of antiques which are very important to me and for which I would rush back into a burning house to retrieve.
 TheNewDeal
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/17/2009 10:27:13 PM
Visual Graphics are my specialty and maybe that's why I have so many many photos in old albums, books, and on discs. Just an insane amount of photos. Any more, when I write to people and mention some trip, I add a photo with the email because I have documented so much of my life!

I have a lot of CDs, DVDs and books that I'd never toss out, but most of them I don't need.

I can part with my furniture, like sofas and beds and stuff...I'm okay with replacing any of that stuff or just doing without it.

Anything with graphic design or photos on it I just can't get rid of it.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Taking a Trip Down Memory Lane