Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it better to be alone Or settle for someone that is not Your type.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 snowbird1111
Msg: 26
Is it better to be alone Or settle for someone that is not Your type.Page 2 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Depends...how hot looking is he?? LMAO
 snowbird1111
Msg: 27
Is it better to be alone Or settle for someone that is not Your type.
Posted: 7/8/2005 10:06:07 PM
Like Brad Pitt is not my type but I could settle for him...even without his money and fame LOL
 angelsdoexist
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/9/2005 6:55:49 PM
Its better to be alone....being alone gives you what you need to understand who you want in life.....when jumpin from one relationship to another you never give yourself the breath, the air to develope an understanding towards what your are lookin for in a life partner...You should always ponder on every relationship you have wit another soul...you can always benefit from anyone who places footprints in your heart....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/10/2005 7:13:28 PM
off What can I say, I'm a people person and think everyone is valuable and worthy of respect and love in some form, that is until they make it impossible by being....whatever. I've had some very precious and wonderful friendships with married men, one who had been separated for years and moved into my neighborhood one who hung out at our neighborhood pub. They were both early sixties, and nothing sexual at all, just great friends, loved them to pieces and our friendship meant so much. I offered a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on, and they offered the same. Had many laughs a few tears and a great time.
 crystalise
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/10/2005 8:36:41 PM
better to be alone - every time !
 xtinelaurel
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/10/2005 8:58:45 PM
better be along than settle with someone not my type.. that's suicide dude! it will never make you happy...
 theduck
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2005 7:49:33 PM
Hands down, ALONE! No wasted money, ZERO aggrivation, ZERO stress!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/1/2007 8:41:18 PM
Alone, no question. Being with someone who is not your type is basically pity dating. You're not only closing the door on meeting someone who might be your type, you are keeping someone else from meeting a person that actually wants to be with them. That's just wrong.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/1/2007 11:30:38 PM
even shakier if alone for more than 3 years

yet no.. i will never settle for no one less than the man whom I belong to, even if I grow so old

just to say to him... I waited forever for you, just to be with you forever
 Isabella1900
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2007 7:45:40 PM
At first you need to know what do you want. For me is better wait for the real connection. Being single is not bad stuff. Whe I see him . . . I will know

Physical Chemistry Generates Desire,
Emotional Chemistry Generates Affection,
Mental Chemistry Generates Interest,
Spiritual Chemistry Creates Soulmates.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2007 8:09:25 PM
sddude, you have given me new ideas for expanding my range. Thank you!

But I still think: "It is better to be alone than in bad company", as one poster said.
I've tried it. It didn't take.

SunsetStorm, don't give up. I've only felt that way 3 times. Each time, it didn't last long enough to get to the relationship proper. But I know the alternative will be worse. So I'm still holding out. Remember, a positive outlook is one of the main ingredients for a successful relationship. Every one gone is one less, and so one step closer to the right person.
 Ron9
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/2/2007 9:02:01 PM
Married most of my life and ...

I've never had a short relationship. That translates to ... I've never settled. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to start now.

One thing we should keep in mind ... what about the other person? I could not do it to the other person.
 Wreckless1
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/5/2007 1:40:04 AM
No one should ever settle! it will eventuqally erode away at what ever is holding the relationship together till you wonder why you got together in the first place.

Use your mind, and follow your heart... no matter what, you will either learn a lesson in life.... or maybe find eternal bliss.

W1
 NatGoat
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/27/2007 10:16:38 AM
I could 'settle' . . to a _certain degree_ . .
I have had a Fabulous partner, before . . and I could only Dream of finding another like Her . .
But, I won't just settle for any old Female walking down the street, Either . . !!!
 karenl0523
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/29/2007 5:42:07 PM
I want someone in my life becuase I want to share my life with someone with my son. I just really want this. I ahve been alone to long going on 9 years. Just strated really dating again. Karen
 OutMind
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/29/2007 9:24:28 PM

I made her my type , she was no longer boring but quite crazy and bubbly , hard body and athletic. I did the same too as per her likings , people are eachother's lifetime gift , why not keep giving ?

Dude. You da'man! There are other diamond on the ruff waiting for you. Shine away.
 brock11
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/30/2007 8:58:17 AM
I don't think anyone should settle. Yet people also need to have realistic and reasonable expectations. Personally I wouldn't date someone that is completely not my type, but I would date someone that is a little different than my usual type. For example, if I usually prefer slim or average size women, I wouldn't turn down a woman just because she is 20 lbs overweight if she matches most of the other things I was looking for.
 Ferrus Manus
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/13/2007 10:19:26 PM
why settle? financial gain? "type"? what the **** is type. love is love, if you feel it, stay, if not, be alone
 ManeRider
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2007 10:31:53 PM
Settle:

You never know when a free house will come along, again!!.

After you deplete the bank accounts and sign over titles on all the cars, trucks, boats, and motorhomes, you can look back on it and just say......" it was a learning experience!!!!"
 ItsMargo
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 5:36:28 AM
What is "type"? I've never been in a relationship with one person who more than superficially resembled a different person I was in relationship with. Nor have I ever found one person who was completely compatible with all of the me's that make up the me that I am. So, is accepting that no one person will bring me everything "settling"?
 cotter
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 6:18:58 AM
^^^
... when some single women say, "He must be 6 feet or taller" ...
No doubt they say that with the hope that he will be at least 5'9" ... since most men add a couple of inches when they post their height.

I think the "height" issue has more to do with men lying about how tall they really are or in most cases, how tall they really are NOT.

Some of us just really detest a liar. There can be no basis for trust when people lie, no matter how "small" the lie ... we just don't want someone who will blatantly lie to us.

I recently went out with a gentleman who insists he's 5' 11 3/4" so he put down 6'. That would have been fine except that he might be (at the most) 5'9". He lists his weight as "Average". At the least, he is carrying around several extra pounds. The pictures on his profile must be from several years ago. That ... or he gained about 30 pounds in the past month?

I just don't get it ... why can't people just be honest about it? What is the sense in lying about things that are so apparent? If a person is going to lie about something so apparent ... what are they lying about that is not so apparent?

Don't they get it? Who can ever trust a liar?

OT ...
In light of all the dishonesty ... I'd rather be alone than settle.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 6:29:26 AM

I am definately better off alone than to be with someone I am not compatible with. Incompatibility breeds frustrations and the eventual end of the relationship, after all is said & done.

I agree compatibility is key. However elusive it is. What is incompatibility, I wonder? No one ever matches totally with another human being. I suppose it is one of those "unanswerable" questions... perhaps it really comes down to resonating with each other across a broad enough spectrum that it can maintain over time. Or not having things that are significantly different as to get the other person's panties in a twist. But if that is the case, how do you know if you are "settling"?
 stormy15
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/14/2007 8:29:37 PM
No doubt about it a hundred times better to be alone....I will never settle for less than what I am looking for. Been there done that....don't ever want to repeat that nightmare. I wouldn't want to do that to a man either....that is just not fair and will eventually make both people miserable and life is just too short to be miserable. So be Happy and wait for that right person to walk into your life....yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa!
 ManeRider
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 11:05:29 PM

Since they don't implant brains for those who are less gifted...........It is of course better to be alone than waist your day or mounth or worse a year away with one that you have nothing in common with and dont even want to touch........But might be good for the anti depressive tablett makers then because sooner or later you would need those if you dont listen to the voice of your heart

Such sweeet poetry.
I just have this thing for grammar.
Almost makes me want to give up being alone.

GArden, you NUt

A-New-Beginning
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 11:30:54 PM
I think it would be better to be Alone because how can you be ready for someone that is your type if you are already with someone else. Alone just makes more since.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it better to be alone Or settle for someone that is not Your type.