Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is your idea of heaven?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustDukky
Msg: 26
What is your idea of heaven?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

a place of mind characterized by being "at one with God"

And don't forget: "The Kingdom of God is within you." implies that one must look within to find it. Only in doing so can we know God; to truly know ourselves is to know God. To live a life of goodness is to BE the Hand of God, to pour Him out into the world and to re-create the world as it was meant to be.
 monalee1
Msg: 27
What is your idea of heaven?
Posted: 7/28/2009 9:18:58 PM
hi... justdukky, nice thread... now I would like to clear up the part where you said things that I do not feel... I do not see us growing up as God.. asking God to return us back into His Image, yes... I do not believe that we were created to create heaven for ourselves.. I believe that we were created out of Gods Love, into a perfect eternal existence, heaven on earth, but we took it for granted and lost it .. I do believe that God is Leading us to Heaven as a reward for Trust and Obedience, after all we should Trust and Obey Our Creator....God is The One Who Defines Heaven and Eternal Earth Through His Perfect Government and Law... just needed to clear that up... many blessings
 JustDukky
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/28/2009 10:14:58 PM
@ Mona
I respect your beliefs and perhaps I misinterpreted a couple of things you might have said on other threads. This leads me to ask a question: What does your faith impel you to DO to serve God?
 JMars
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/29/2009 6:05:16 AM

Your idea of heaven closely matches my own. Maybe we should have been born a thousand years ago (or as some might believe, maybe we were)

Well, parts of our being most certainly far older than our individual selves. The elder Germanic belief did in fact perceive the soul as a gestalt, a whole made up of many parts, some of which were unique to the individual and some of which were inheritted from ancestors of body and spirit. How old is basic human nature for instance? Or the male instincts that dictate the framework human notions of manhood evolved in?

Of course, the "modern" world has it's charms. And some of the best parts of the "old" world are not really that far away; being more a matter of **where** you chose to live than **when**.

What could be finer than a place where one could be with their loved ones, hone and practice their craft, learn new things, enjoy the comradeship of their brothers and even love the enemies they battle enough to quaff a few with them at the end of the day.

Have you noticed how much our idea of heaven sounds like the lives we live now? Maybe we are in heaven already and don't know it.

Some people might not know it. But then, some people have no appreciation for what they have.

But it's not suprising that our notions of heaven, or of the divine in general, are a reflection of our culture and experience. Afterall, what other points of reference can we use?

In fact, in preChristian Germanic thought, the heavens were most properly known as Esegeard (Old Norse - AsgardhR), and were perceived as existing in a special relationship with the world of man, known as Middengeard (Old Norse - MidhgardhR). Together they made up the "innangeard" (literally "inside the yard", cultivated/settled space), as a thing overlaid upon, but poignantly distinct from the "utangeard" (outside the yard, the wilds).

Nothing in Germanic cosmology really existed entirely separate from anything else, being more a cosmology of wholeness and inter-relationship, where the accent was on synthesis over analysis, and the notion that Middle Earth sat at the centre of all this was not an expression of vanity, but an observation/acceptance of the fact of human subjectivity.

In the end, whatever the "afterdeath" might hold is, probably, unlike anything we might perceive. And like you say, everything that we imagine heaven to be like can be had in some measure here on earth, in this life, so why begrudge life because it's not some neat and tidy little laboratory experiment? And of course the one thing you can't do once you're dead is represent yourself. This is your only chance for that. And not so much for the pleasure of some deity, though I'm sure they'd be tickled pink, but for the example you'll leave to your people amongst the living.

It really must suck for some people ... to not be able to look back and know that they have done right by those that loved and/or trusted them, or to see only missed oppurtunity. What a waste. A life gone as though it had never existed ...
 jbogie
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/29/2009 7:33:29 AM
the human mind is incapable of knowing about such concepts as gods, the afterlife and other supernatural phenomena. so any answers here are simply a guess. has nothing to do with thinking nor ideas.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/29/2009 9:19:20 AM
I think whether you believe in heaven/paradise in an after-life, it's general description is the most ideal, grandest place to be.

It wouldn't be any stereotypical dream world, that's for sure. It'd be a place where we would still be "human" at the core... not like we're high on fumes and everything is glorious and unimaginable in constant awe 100% the time. That'd be great at first, and for some people, an extended period of time, but that would not be "me". That doesn't relate to a human experience. The grandest place would be the ultimate human experience... otherwise, yes, you WOULD just die (because it wouldn't be "you"). That's not to say you yourself couldn't be perfected or tweaked for maximum enjoyment.

The problem with life here (ie REALITY), is that there are necessary evils or unforunate things, and UNNECESSARY evils and unfortunate things. The latter is the major major blow against a concept of an all-good God who creates and oversees reality.

Heaven would be a maximized all-good reality, starting on an earth, and each one of us maximized without losing our humanity. We wouldn't have super-powers... we would be us, but maximized. There would be no cancer. Our immune system would be so that we wouldn't need any meds, and aging would not be there.

We would be subject to success and failure, because without the possibility of failure, there is no such thing as success. And that is what makes us human. Some see Heaven as a reality, like being in "God mode" (genuinely no pun intended) in a video game. Sure, if you're bitter and unhappy and exhausted with the pitfalls of life, that'd be great... for a while. But in the end, it would be a hell, because there would end up being no enjoyment. The experience of succeeding, and overcoming things would be necessary.

If one differs from this, I feel for you. No sports? No "I got it right this time! Sweet!"? No sex drive? No Plenty of Fish?? That'd sound like hell to me! ;)
 normaldude
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 4:29:03 PM
will my ex-wife be there? Is everyone who ever died there(who qualified)? Are you allowed to get autographs? Are all members of heaven equal? Are the ones there the longest time occupying the best spot or housing? Can everyone there really see us doing all the strange things we do here? Do all dogs go to heaven? Do they bark and crap everywhere? If you killed someone and then repented would you meet the person you killed there? It really leads to a lot of questions.... I guess it would have to be a totally individual existence since if we all ended up in the same place it would get pretty strange!
 JustDukky
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/29/2009 5:12:19 PM
If we all ended up in the same place it would get pretty strange!

You mean like now?

will my ex-wife be there?

That depends on who deserved the divorce.

s everyone who ever died there(who qualified)?

I heard a rumor that WC Fields didn't make it, but it is as yet unsubstantiated

Are you allowed to get autographs?

Who's autograph's do you want?

Are all members of heaven equal?

We haven't measured them all yet. Why do you ask?

Are the ones there the longest time occupying the best spot or housing?

Yes, but the housing crisis hit heaven too, so there are plenty of nice places going cheap.

Can everyone there really see us doing all the strange things we do here?

I see that!...Quit it or forget about heaven altogether!

Do all dogs go to heaven?

If they don't, I guarantee you won't find me there! Picking up the crap?...Of course not...What do you think angels are for?

If you killed someone and then repented would you meet the person you killed there?

How else are you gonna kiss & make up?
 monalee1
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/29/2009 5:37:53 PM
hi JustDukky, ty for replying to me and ty for another good question... my Faith, Love and Trust in God compelles (sp) me to witness His Love and Salvation Message to everyone... this is why I keep saying that God exists, why else would a perfectly sane person set themself up to look and to sound odd to most of humankind??..it is simple.. because God says that a brothers or sisters Eternal Life is Worth More than pride.... many blessings, warmly Mona
 JustDukky
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/29/2009 8:06:31 PM

Cloud Nine gets all the publicity, but Cloud Eight is cheaper, less crowded, and has a better view.

I'm told that's where my head is; I forget which number, but its' one of the them. Truth to tell though, most mornings it feels like all of me (head in particular) spent the night in a meat grinder, so I'm pretty sure they're wrong.
 AlwaysSmiling401
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 8:10:37 PM
Hrrrm...

There would be;

Beer
Friends
Barbeques
Good music
Great sex with a hottie
No such thing as a hangover
Beer

That about covers it.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/29/2009 8:12:17 PM
My idea of heaven? Finding Angelina Jolie in my bedroom :). I'm easy.
 AlwaysSmiling401
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 8:18:34 PM
^^Actually thats not bad man.
 Wyatt Earp1
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/30/2009 1:25:44 AM
There is no heaven; it's a religious illusion for the poor and working class people that rich people have used to keep control over. When you die it's just like before you were born; you don't remember. This is a unbeatable social equation.

At most, since I believe in Mothernature, our body degenerates and some of our cells
might be reuseable for other living organisms. However our spirits, if released, are gone/go away quickly. When my family died, in the beginning I dreamed about them and felt their presecence. (spelling) Was this just mind games?

CChauncey
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2009 1:53:46 AM
I've had days on earth that I can't imagine having been much better. Okay, it could have been better if everybody in the world was as well fed, healthy, loved, and happy as I was. But waking up next to the girl you're in love with... walking through New York City, checking out street festivals, browsing book stores, having a good sandwich, people watching... then maybe playing some tennis, taking a shower, feeling clean, go see a play, enter the theater at sunset, come out when it's dark, have a late dinner with a bunch of smart, attractive, happy people, then go dancing at a club... come back to the apartment, get goofy in the bedroom, whispers in the dark, falling asleep together, feeling warm and medicated... what more could I want? A bigger apartment, maybe. A huge loft style 3 bedroom place just south of Union Square park, the whole floor, with floor to ceiling windows and a 1000 square feet private balcony.
 JustDukky
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/30/2009 10:18:05 AM

what more could I want?

...for everyone to enjoy life like that.

A bigger apartment, maybe. A huge loft style 3 bedroom place just south of Union Square park, the whole floor, with floor to ceiling windows

More to clean, especially the windows...more work to keep tidy...unless you have servants to do your work for you...Should you? What would they think of your fancy apartment if they live in a hovel?

and a 1000 square feet private balcony.

To look out on what, smog, muggings, passed-out drunks sleeping in their own urine? What a grand vista... Good thing the balcony's private and you wouldn't have to share the view with any of those derelicts. Are you sure you'd have no trouble sleeping at night in "heaven"?

Don't let them tell you you need what the Joneses have to be happy. If they have everything you want and aren't giving to those in need, they can't be all that happy...not if they're decent people.

disclaimer: This post is not to be interpreted as critical of the wonderful capitalist/consumerist system under which we live. It is provided only to suggest that alternatives to our wonderful system do exist and that some pinko malcontents who want to steal your hard-earned tax dollars may find themselves more comforted if it was freely given, negating the necessity of picking the pockets of the hard-working, tax-paying citizens of this great country so that the useless eaters can eat. Far better to put our money to work for us by supporting our troops, who tirelessly kill our hated & feared enemies all over the world who hate us for our success so much that they scare us, forcing us to bomb them out of existence before they start yelling & getting newsplay on the internet, OR by putting it into investments and equities, in order to help support the entrepreneurs, investment bankers, and central banks, who may require some of that money to make more for themselves and inadvertantly, to make the world go 'round, while raising their entirely deserved equity in the planet and the means of production that keeps you employed as long as you keep buying the crap you produce to make the world a better place for everyone. Please remember that selfish interest is in all our interests and that your newly unemployed cousin is picking all our pockets in no longer being able to afford the wonderful time & money-saving, entertaining products that you yourself may have produced until the production facilities were moved to China as part of the never-ending effort of our heaven-sent corporations to reduce costs in order to lower prices to make it easier for you to afford some of the wonderful crap you used to have to make for yourself and upon which our economy relies so heavily....Hope you find work soon...We don't want to add you to the ranks of those useless eaters we all look down on, until you are too old to function and no longer of any use to us as either a producer or a consumer, at which point we expect you will do the decent thing and die quietly, making room for some new young buck to earn his keep, pay his taxes, contribute to our wonderful society and to help keep the wheel of pain turning in order to produce the sort of people, who by their tireless starving & suffering, provide the motivation to keep him looking for a way to earn his keep somehow, in the event he loses his job to the Chinese, perhaps even by taking a generous pay cut in order to compete with the third world labour bargain that cost him his job to begin with. So don't worry...be happy...and buy, buy, buy. Buy until it hurts, buy until you are broke, then borrow some money so you can continue to buy. Buy until you don't own a damn thing you have, remembering that our wonderful capitalist system is built on the concept of private property...ours not yours.
 CChauncey
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2009 1:30:28 PM

...for everyone to enjoy life like that.
I say that.
More to clean, especially the windows...more work to keep tidy...unless you have servants to do your work for you...Should you? What would they think of your fancy apartment if they live in a hovel?
This is a thread about heaven. It wouldn't get dirty.
 normaldude
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2009 8:10:13 PM
i think a lot of POFers are missing the point...... heaven is not where you get all the hot sex you want or all the liqour or drugs or beer.....it is heaven!!! it is just a nice place! no sex, no booze, no big houses, no cars, no money!!! YOU JUST FLOAT AROUND FOR ETERNITY FEELING GOOD...AND NOTHING ELSE!!!! you cant define it!!!
I dont think many pofers will be there.... except for mona.... she is nice.
 JustDukky
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/30/2009 8:13:25 PM

YOU JUST FLOAT AROUND FOR ETERNITY FEELING GOOD...AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!

For some here (and I include myself) that would be Hell...Even "feeling good" would become agony.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2012 4:46:05 PM
I don't ask for much.....just some George Bush photos in all the urinals and toilets....and maybe an abundant supply of beer and Mexican food.
 MissesMiko
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/9/2012 6:52:39 PM
Heaven is a state of mind.....
We are mere energy beings and energy NEVER DIES!
Yes, I do believe in multidimensional realities.
These realities exist all around us and happening synchronically, NOW!
:) my 2centz#
 DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/10/2012 12:23:30 AM
Northern Europe.
 LennyPane
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2012 12:34:07 AM
It's the ultimate end result of evolution. The Universe in it's ultimate potential. I hold the conviction that 'god' is the inevitable sum of evolution on a macro level. Maybe we are that ultimate truth reflecting on itself subjectively. The divine is nothing separate from us,
it is us. Everything grows towards the light like a flower to the sun. As
above so below. Anything is everything.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/10/2012 2:33:03 AM
Heaven for me would be a place where the forum posters know the difference between religion and science, and post in the RIGHT forum.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2012 2:42:44 AM
A place without religious people. Humm, I think I'm faced with a serious paradox.............................................
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is your idea of heaven?