Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Quazi 100
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Women with multiple cats - sign of mental illness?Page 4 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
I have four cats. All of them came from shelters, and were seriously ill when I brought them home.

They have a healthy respect for me, they know who is in charge, more or less.

The best part of having numerous cats, is that the power struggles are really cut down compared to having two, or even three cats.

My cats act as individuals, or a pack....there's no ganging up on one cat, or ostracizing of one cat.

If I want to go away overnight (I leave more than enough food and water) I don't
feel guilty about leaving them alone. They entertain each other, and are often kind of surprised when I come home.

Would I want more than four....no....
 *topchef*
Msg: 150
Women with multiple cats - sign of mental illness?
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:26:14 PM
I am an animal lover and admire those who rescue the weak and unwanted, but there is a limit to what is a tolerable acceptance of pets in an urban environment (for me).

The only thing worse that a woman with more than 3 cats is a guy with 3 or more cats.
 barbee1970
Msg: 155
Posted: 8/12/2009 10:31:20 PM
I have more than 1 cat. They are like potato chips, can't have just one.

OOh! Beware the crazed cat lady!!
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 158
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:43:54 PM

This will be my last post here. I think the last 15 posts have pretty much substantiated the point of the original thread.

Oh, the point that you hate cats but are obsessed with them? And think that dogs are cleaner than cats?

Thank you for expressing your irrational cat hatred so all of the cat loving wimmins can avoid you like the plague. You've done us quite a big a favor.
 EyesforTrouble
Msg: 162
Posted: 8/14/2009 2:28:45 AM
As of now, animals outnumber people in my apartment 3.5 : 1. Four cats and three hermit crabs. Admittedly I don't allow myself into pet shelters or stores anymore, but I don't regret my adoptions. I was raised with animals and the apartment doesn't feel like home without furry things greeting me when I get home. I love them and they love me unconditinally (even the crabs...). And to everyone who thinks I need a reason to have four cats, they are awfully entertaining. I love it when they try to be smooth walking along the edge of the tub while I'm showering only to fall in. I'm never cruel to my pets, but I do find their behavior funny, something like that usually makes my day. All that being said, I'm perfectly happy being crazy. But don't be naive thinking the felines induced my insanity, I've been unhinged my entire life and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not saying everyone else has to like it, or even agree with it. If you don't like it, you don't have to. Neither you nor I are going to change, agree to disagree and go on with our lives, you being normal, me being me. Have a great day everyone, and happy fishing!
 Quazi 100
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 2:47:14 PM

: As of now, animals outnumber people in my apartment 3.5 : 1. Four cats and three hermit crabs. Admittedly I don't allow myself into pet shelters or stores anymore, but I don't regret my adoptions. I was raised with animals and the apartment doesn't feel like home without furry things greeting me when I get home. I love them and they love me unconditinally (even the crabs...). And to everyone who thinks I need a reason to have four cats, they are awfully entertaining. I love it when they try to be smooth walking along the edge of the tub while I'm showering only to fall in. I'm never cruel to my pets, but I do find their behavior funny, something like that usually makes my day. All that being said, I'm perfectly happy being crazy. But don't be naive thinking the felines induced my insanity, I've been unhinged my entire life and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not saying everyone else has to like it, or even agree with it. If you don't like it, you don't have to. Neither you nor I are going to change, agree to disagree and go on with our lives, you being normal, me being me. Have a great day everyone, and happy fishing!

This post reminded me...I forgot to mention in my first post that I have a Betta fish as well as the four cats.

The fish is kept on a shelf above the toilet. The cats would love to get their paws on the fish. This leads to them trying to navigate the toilet, trying to figure out a way to get to the fish.

Every now and then, they get very daring, and try for a grand coup of the fish....which usually results in the cat falling in the toilet. It makes my day every time. No cat has ever gotten injured doing this, and their reaction to falling in the toilet is really entertaining.

No, it isn't cruel.....
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 164
Posted: 8/14/2009 3:19:56 PM
What is a betta fish?
 Ideoform
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2010 11:59:23 AM
Mental illness can be acquired from cats.

We just had a very bad case of cat hoarding discovered this year in this area. There were over 50 cats in a very nice-looking suburban home. The cats had taken over the house, and destroyed the interior of it. There were some dead cats found there, and the people had moved out eventually, just coming there to feed the cats! The entire place had to be condemned until it could be completely emptied and fumigated. I consider this a form of mental illness. I think that the mental illness might have existed before the cats -- they might have had OCD, hoarding, or ADD or some other problem first -- but they also could have gotten mental effects from exposure to cats first.

There is research that shows that the toxoplasmosis bug actually has figured out a way to enter the brains of rats and eliminate their natural fear of cats. The infected rats are then easier to catch, because they actually are attracted to the cats' urine (pheremones) instead of repelled by them. The reason this seems to be necessary for the bug, is that this bug can only reproduce inside of cats, not rats, so the bug has to somehow get itself from inside the rat to inside the cat in order to procreate.

This same bug can infect humans. However, does the bug know where to go inside a human's brain, since the human brain is so much larger than a rat's? (In most people.)

I think it gets to the human brain and gets lost there, possibly affecting other areas of the brain than intended. Perhaps this means that infected humans get a chemically enhanced love of cats from this infection, also causing other kinds of mental abnormalities. This mental illness then causes the infected person to harbor more cats than they would have otherwise (if not infected by toxoplasmosis), but with less mental organizational capability to care for them in a sanitary way, causing even more infection and disease for both the cats and the people. If the bug causes rats to be attracted to cat urine, this could explain why the people who own lots of cats don't seem bothered at all by their urine and litter, and stop cleaning up after them.

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/15/6442.full

Other illnesses acquired from cats:

Afipia felis
Anthrax
Bartonella (Rochalimaea) henselae (cat scratch fever)
Bergeyella (Weeksella) zoohelcum
Brucella suis
Campylobacteriosis
Capnocytophaga canimorsus
Chlamydia psittici (feline strain)
Cowpox
Cutaneous larva migrans
Dermatophytosis
Dipylidium caninum
Leptospirosis
Mokola virus
Neisseria canis
Pasteurella multocida
Plague (Yersinia pestis)
Poxvirus
Q-fever
Rabies
Rickettsia felis
Salmonellosis
Scabies
Sporothrix schenckii
Trichinosis
Toxoplasmosis
Visceral larva migrans
Yersinia pseudotuberculosis

NIMH Neuroscience Center, St. Elizabeths Hospital, Washington, DC 20032, USA.

Studies have suggested that some cases of schizophrenia may be caused by viruses. We hypothesize that such cases may be cases of viral zoonosis transmitted primarily from house cats. Epidemiological aspects of schizophrenia and a case-control questionnaire support this hypothesis.

Recent epidemiologic studies indicate that infectious agents may contribute to some cases of schizophrenia. In animals, infections with Toxoplasma gondii can alter behavior and neurotransmitter function. In humans, acute infection with the cat virus "T. gondii" can produce psychotic symptoms similar to those displayed by persons with schizophrenia. Two other studies found that exposure to cats in childhood was a risk factor for the development of schizophrenia.

Whether any geographic association exists between the prevalence of toxoplasmosis and the prevalence of schizophrenia is unknown. France, which has a high prevalence of Toxoplasma-infected persons, was reported to have first-admission rates for schizophrenia approximately 50% higher than those in England (41). Ireland also has a high rate of Toxoplasma-infected persons in rural areas (42)

Dr. Robert H. Yolken, the director of the Stanley Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University, and his colleagues reviewed military medical records. They found that soldiers who developed schizophrenia were twice as likely as other soldiers to show signs of Toxoplasma infection in blood samples."

People with cats should all be tested for cat transmitted diseases, particularly if they show any signs of mental instability. Children should also be kept away from cats and cat litter boxes. And where cats are allowed to roam outside should always have shoes on. Outdoor children's sandboxes should be kept covered.

I have a nice long-time friend who has terrible allergies, and she is allergic to cats, but owns two cats. They are house cats and she cleans their litter boxes well, and is a generally neat person.

She has to take a ton of allergy medication, but refuses to admit that giving the cats away might help her very serious condition. She treats them like her children and appears to love them way more than a human should ever love an animal, in my opinion. Particularly when her health is at stake, and when she can barely afford the many medications she requires to deal with her allergies. She lives across the street from a cat shelter, that she says makes her allergies worse, but won't consider taking her two cats there. Not only that, the cats are both extremely overweight, have stopped grooming themselves, and appear sick, and are very lethargic (I understand cats sleep a lot. I owned a cat many years ago, so I know what lethargic looks like in a cat.) But she can't afford to take them to a veterinarian to be treated. I worry that all three of them are sick with something like this...
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2010 12:43:53 PM
fat, lethargic, barely mobile cats are the best. their meat is more tender and marbled.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 168
Posted: 1/4/2010 12:56:38 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade.
But I think we can all see the difference between
women who have "multiple" cats, ie 2, 3 or more
and people who HOARD and collect cats and other
things.
That's all we need...scientific proof that if you have
more than a few cats...you are indeed mental.
Hoarding is a mental illness...having more than a
few pets is not.
Jaysus kerist on a cracker.

LifesSimplicity
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/4/2010 2:14:46 PM
Well first off, this is disgusting...
Secondly, I am a cat collector... LMAO...
I have 3 OUTDOOR cats....
I don't even like cats.... In fact I can't stand them...
Then why, you ask do I have three of them??
Because, I am an animal lover and at some point in time, each and every one was doomed for the pound before they found me....
I have had a cat come have her babies in my garage... <- yeah I know right...
I have had a cat walk up on New Years Eve all sick looking.. Wanting me to feed it, and the three I currently have were all flea ridden for the pound....
I wish I could find one of these women you talk about maybe they can take mine!!!
I have a chinchilla also.. which I actually LIKE, and he is an indoor animal.... ;p
 Quazi 100
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2010 2:42:08 PM
The study suggests that male carriers have shorter attention spans, a greater likelihood of breaking rules and taking risks, and are more independent, anti-social, suspicious, jealous and morose. It also suggests that these men are deemed less attractive to women. Women carriers are suggested to be more outgoing, friendly, more promiscuous, and are considered more attractive to men compared with non-infected controls. The results are shown to be true when tested on mice, though it is still inconclusive. A few scientists have suggested that, if these effects are genuine, prevalence of toxoplasmosis could be a major determinant of cultural differences.

The above is quoted from Wikipedia.....

Yay....

I have a new excuse to go out and be promiscuous, and I just discovered "a major determinant of cultural differences."

Toxoplasmosis!

"It's not my fault, honest....my cats made me do it."

All of this research is just that....research. Any correlation between toxoplasmosis and mental illness is just that....correlation. It would be impossible to prove conclusively that the toxoplasmosis (caused by cats) brought on the mental illness...it would be a matter of which came first......the toxoplasmosis, or the mental illness.

As far as hoarding goes, that is a manifestation of OCD....a stress reducing, momentary coping mechanism.

I just watched a program on hoarding, and the 63 year old woman involved had 8 tons of rubbish removed from her house...her toilet hadn't worked in 6 years, and she still used it. I don't think this was brought on by toxoplasmosis.

The house infested by cats....humans were feeding them.....bottom line...no food, no cats.
 m14shooter
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2010 6:42:35 PM

Interestingly enough, of all the women I know who have multiple cats or various other animals.. they are all animal lovers. There really isn't anything more to it than that. They are all sweet, loving and generous people. All very positive traits when seeking a mate.

You need to date a few of the "cat women" I have dated then as the ones I dated had no traits I would want in a mate. Saw one woman who I dated and her mom on a Animal Cops one night and they had gotten up to over 100 cats, dodged a bullet there. She was nice and sweet but was more concerned about the cats than anything else. Think she had about 30 cats when I met her. No more cat women for me, one cat maybe, two or more no way. A few dogs is fine but not cats. I really believe there is something wrong with m women that own multiple cats.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 176
Posted: 1/4/2010 8:25:15 PM

There were over 50 cats in a very nice-looking suburban home.

There is a huge difference between a few cats and 50 cats--I am an English teacher and can't count, and even I know that.

As for toxoplasmosis:

However, such infections are not common in the United Sates.

Another site said that up to 60 million Americans MIGHT have it, but they show no symptoms. I don't know how they can make an estimate like that if people are not showing symptoms and not seeking treatment.

Most adults have no symptoms. In most cases, once you have gotten toxoplasmosis, you cannot get it again.

The biggest danger is to newborns.

The toxoplasmosis parasite may be found in cat feces, soils, and in undercooked infected meat.

So wash your hands! Also, using litter than clumps instead of clay litter that is dusty cuts down the risk.

http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/common/toxoplasmosis.html

For other methods of prevention and number of infected people and cats: http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/toxoplasmosis.html

People would rather run with the fantastic than research the facts.
 Kimberish925
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2010 10:34:01 PM
@ideoform...could you list a few more illnesses. Some of those listed can be caused by other issues. I'll go back to drinking my cancer causing coffe now.

Sure, there are extremes and I would think your heading to extremes when they really outnumber the humans say 2:1. Even then if they are kept clean and cared for who cares.

I will always have cats, would have dogs too but landlord and work schedule aren't agreeable to having a dog. Pets are theraputic, they say pet owners live longer.

MOST animals are left alone all day while their human is at work. You wouldnt do that to a child, why do it to an animal?

This applies to dogs for the most part, however cats are ok being alone.

**On a sad note...my dad's cat (one of two) Buddy had to be put to sleep today. He was a ripe old age of 20. Now tell me he wasn't well cared for. My dad saved him from under his front porch 20 years ago, after the mama was killed and Buddy was the only survivor. It's heartwrenching to see a grown man cry but you can't tell me that Buddy was any less a family member, he was just the four legged variety.
 want to travel
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2010 9:30:50 AM
this is the funniest post, the op must be a borrat wanabe, how on earth could anyone be so stupid as to equate being an animal lover to having a mental illness
 el lagarto
Msg: 180
Posted: 1/5/2010 9:48:40 AM
Oh yeah , definitely !!! Whoo-hoo , I have three , guess that makes me an absolute loony nut job !!
I'd invite ya over to visit - but there's no place to sit that isn't covered with hair and puked up hairballs .
And well, I stopped cooking years ago - as there's no clean counters anymore . Too much hair in the food .

And why bother with litter boxes at all - I just let mine poop and pee wherever they like ! Ya get used to the smell after awhile - doesn't bother me anymore .

So you just GOTTA be right about this ! Me-OW !

( yeah , right )

(geez)

( dontcha just LOVE those generalizations and assumptions ... )
 want to travel
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2010 10:37:26 AM
seriously there have been stupid posts on here, but this one takes the cake, mentally ill because a person likes animals lol, now i have really heard it all
 barbee1970
Msg: 183
Posted: 1/5/2010 10:46:04 AM
I am on the verge of being a crazy cat lady, as I have 2. Sure in my absence I bet they walk everywhere. Cats are such agile creatures, aside from cleaning their own litter box and getting their own Fancy Feast, they can just about care for themselves.

My old male cat has been more faithful, loyal than any man I every known. He won't walk off with another woman. At this very moment he is hid somewhere sleeping.

Dogs some of them will walk off with anybody, like children require constant potty breaks,etc, so they are a little more work. Alot are good to watch the house.

If you don't like cats don't date someone with cats. What all of a sudden you appear in a lady's life and she has to get rid of her cats? Nope!! Long after you've walked off in the sunset with someone else, her cats will still be there.
 forum101
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2010 10:31:37 PM
I have my cats, the neighbors cats, and the catskittnes, grown mature adults drop off. I feed them all. Some times as many as 20 eat at my back door. I cannot being myself to call a shelter to pick them up. If that makes me crazy, then so be it.
 JoAnn*J*
Msg: 188
Posted: 1/6/2010 10:54:19 PM
lmfao....too funny
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 189
Posted: 1/6/2010 11:04:15 PM
Dunno if it's a sign of mental illness...

but it would sure raise red flags for me.

-8sf8
 m14shooter
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2010 9:20:49 PM

I have my cats, the neighbors cats, and the catskittnes, grown mature adults drop off. I feed them all. Some times as many as 20 eat at my back door. I cannot being myself to call a shelter to pick them up. If that makes me crazy, then so be it.

This is how it starts, someone feels bad for the cats, feeds them and then becomes overwhelmed by the cats. Got a neighbor like you, got tired of all the cat crap in my landscape and planters so I started trapping them and taking them down to the shelter myself. Trapped and transported about 20 so far. Seriously this is how it starts. I get that people care for animals but when you are feeding 20 in your yard you are creating problems for others.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >