Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aquila75
Msg: 26
Your prison is walking through this world all alone ?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Listening to this song makes me glad I'm a Gemini. We're never alone...

^^^^
I don't know if thats a good thing, my crazy twin keeps leading me astray
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 27
Your prison is walking through this world all alone ?
Posted: 6/13/2013 7:06:23 PM
The answers to the song are in the Reprise later in the Album......
It's a story of Unrequited love, Desperado is in love with the Queen of Diamonds and claims he never met the queen of Hearts........
Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise:
The queen of diamonds let you down,
She was just an empty fable
The queen of hearts you say you never met
Your twisted fate has found you out
And it's fin'lly turned the tables
Stole your dreams and paid you with regret
Desperado
(Is there gonna be anything left, is there gonna be anything?)
You sealed your fate up a long time ago
(Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the center ring?)
Now there's no time left to borrow
(Is there gonna be anything left?)
Only stardust
(Maybe tomorrow)
Maybe tomorrow

But the ending still gives you hope that he might still find the Queen of Hearts............
 gtomustang
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/14/2013 4:49:12 PM
the real prison is, not becoming your true self. you don't lock yourself in, so much as you restrain yourself.

even when you are alone, you should be in good company. if you can't treat your own self with respect, if you can't be good company to yourself, then it never matters who you date--you won't be healthy, so neither will be the relationship.

you'll always try to fill that black hole in your self identity, that gap of knowledge about yourself that you keep trying to stuff love and material things into, and like all black holes, it still remains greedily empty.

being alone, and being lonely, are two different things.
 imagirl44
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/14/2013 5:37:52 PM
If a person is secure with themselves they will not need to boast how intelligent they are and put others down. As fuebysarefun stated earlier, work on your attitude. Every person has value, no matter what their IQ is.
 pamioakley
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2013 6:03:47 PM
How funny that you chose that song to discuss. It is MY song. I claim it. I don't think the Eagles were advocating anything in particular but letting the listener interpret the song. The part of the song where they sing "Some fine things have been laid on your table" has played over and over and over in my mind. At the same time, I think... those fine things were for someone else, not me.

I do think, though, that my prison will be walking this world all alone. And I do think that love is the great moving force in the universe.

Pam
 JoeBnD
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/14/2013 8:27:12 PM

the prison is not letting someone love you...a self imposed prison.

And when it is not self-imposed??? You may look at my profile now and say "self-imposed", but even when I was younger and upbeat, the prison was still there whether I wanted it or not. Letting someone love you requires that someone wants to love you.
 furbysarefun
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/15/2013 4:33:16 AM
Your profile looks upbeat to me and your working on self improvement. There is no reason someone would not want to date you. I think you do need to work on your self esteem. View yourself as being worthy to date. Everone has issues and baggage. You are not alone in that. Some issues are harder to overcome, but your doing it now. Continue to do so and I am positive someone will want to date you. Meeting good people is hard. Please be kind to yourself. Your kids love you, so obviously your lovable. Your wife must have loved you too at one time. Online dating is tuff, try other venues in meeting new people as well.
 Walts
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/15/2013 5:05:10 AM
Like any piece of art, you can take what you want from it, and leave the rest. All relative to the eyes/ears of the person doing the seeing or listening. As in, "it ain't what you are looking at, it's what you see".
 63T
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2013 7:41:58 AM
Cw35, you stated;

I'm trying to understand why so many people claiming to love the band and who keep trying to explain the song can't even get the band's name right. lol It's just Eagles. People don't say ''I sure love The Led Zeppelin'' or ''The Pink Floyd'' lol.

I'm sure that this is obvious to others but,
"I love Eagles" or,
"I love THE Eagles"
Do the above two statements not interpret differently?

The interpretation of the song, "Desperado", has been adequately addressed. So, I'll,
"come down from my fences" and admit that the song and the band are among my favourites.

The song is also significant in that according to my research, Don Henley began writing this song and Glen frey helped him to complete it. The song was the beginning of their partnership as song writers. Somewhat ironic?
 63T
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2013 8:05:23 AM
Stephenlikesto;

I was referencing a quote from Cw35 and the use of the word "the" in changing the meaning of a statement.
Really had nothing to do with "rock/pop trivia" or "sounding right".
I apologize as I assumed that it was obvious to others.
Whether one chooses to capitalize the "t" or not isn't indicative of OCD.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/15/2013 8:02:55 PM
to message 46:

And when it is not self-imposed??? You may look at my profile now and say "self-imposed", but even when I was younger and upbeat, the prison was still there whether I wanted it or not. Letting someone love you requires that someone wants to love you.

your profile is very honest and you seem to be a person who is for sure lovable.
Just takes time to find the right one.
we all have our struggles and you are very open about yours in your profile.
by self imposed, it was my own idea of what part of the words to the song meant.
about a person who does not have to be alone nor wants to be alone.....but doesnt let others in to love him(or her).
in that way...they make their own prison.
not everyone who is alone is in a prison...some people choose to be alone. there is nothing right or wrong about the choice.

so to respond to your question above...no I dont think your profile leads one to think you are in a self imposed prison at all. You are reaching out. Its when a person turns others away by their behavior, even though that person wants others in their lives,....but their behavior constantly causes others to keep away....that is self imposed.

This happens with friends and not only with dating relationships. sometimes it can happen to a person who is overly clingy upon friends....they end up...pushing people out of their lives who they really want in their lives. They need help to gain insight as to why they are left alone. ..when it is due to their own behavior...self imposing.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/15/2013 8:51:11 PM
melodyof_k

Thanks for the clarification; yes, I thought you were talking about people who are alone and not specifically about interpretation of the song. My mistake.

Thank you, also, for the kind words. You are the second person who has given me nice feedback about my current profile. And here I thought I was breaking the rules. Thanks again.
 Lone-Loser
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/15/2013 9:09:50 PM
Joe, I also just had a read of your profile, and I have to say, its very refreshing to see someone who's totally upfront and honest with his(or her, some women here might look at this guys profile and reflect on how open he is) and also to have the courage to step up and though the barrier that is. (I have Avoidant Personality Disorder, and while its not identical to asperger's syndrome, there are lots of similarities.)

I do think, that if enough decent women take the time to read your profile, you will find someone special. And also, while it may mean nothing, my hats off to you sir, I have utmost respect for you and what your going though.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/15/2013 9:39:19 PM
Hey Lone,

Thanks to you as well. It actually means a lot. Wow, I never thought when I wrote that profile (my 4th one, by the way; number 3 was a just leave me alone I've had enough disaster) that it was actually good.

My buddy and I both suffer from depression and he has social anxiety disorder as well (and I always used to think he was the one getting all of the girls in college; little did I know). I am wondering if I am heading down the path to agoraphobia since I had an anxiety attack while going through jury selection last week (I was excused). Oh the crap life throws at us. Best of luck to you sir!
 Lone-Loser
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/15/2013 9:45:58 PM
well... its 'easy' compared to asperger's syndrome sufferers, for us to 'pick up' women, because we almost MUST put on 'masks' to meet people. Once the mask is on, its no longer you.

But it does NOT in any way help in getting a healthy relationship, since it leaves us with even more 'self loathing' since we had to pretty much 'lie' to get anywhere.

But I really do wish I had it in me to write up what you did, whenever I try (the first few accounts I had anyways) always came out looking like a page of self-hate pity-fishing. I decided sometime back that it was just not worth it if I had to 'be someone else' (Which as I said above, would in no way help me get what I really want and need)

But what I mean to say, is that you should keep at it, I know you will get 'less' responses (like you said yourself) but the ones YOU DO get, will be more closer to what you deserve. (And you do deserve a decent women, if only as a companion to spend your life with.)
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2013 8:05:17 PM
I am really curious.

What does this line mean to you???

Were they (the Eagles) simply advocating togetherness?

Was it meant specifically for the subject of the song, that she was incomplete as a single person?

I am curious why you assume "she". Perhaps simply an indication of the differences between the genders. Maybe because I'm female, and maybe because stereotypically males are less likely to exhibit emotion, but I always thought the song was about someone (man) who, due to their inability to express their feelings, was destined to remain alone. I think the general consensus is that alone is not ideal.

In any case, one of the best songs ever! (imo)
 melodyof_k
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/21/2013 9:18:28 PM
I think the song is not about a man or a women in particular. ..
they just used a gender to write the lyrics .

Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy
She'll beat you if she's able
You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet

it pertains to both sexes.
I dont think it is about a person destined to remain alone,
more about a person who does not want to spend life alone but is self imposing his or her aloneness by not letting anyone love them. or is afraid of loosing what others tell them is "freedom" Or choosing the wrong ones who will end up hurting them.
The person still has the ability to choose his/her destiny if they come down off the fence and choose and get out of their fear.

I dont think the Eagles meant it is necessarily bad to be alone....
its only if a person is NOT wanting to be alone that the song is addressed to that person.

that person keeps getting fine things layed out before them (choices) but they never are the ones they want. the person only seems to want what is not within their reach so is unsatisfied.

when you begin to loose all your highs and lows of feeling....
..it is a form of apathy
not good.
so....instead of letting your feelings become numb and lock yourself away...
allow people in...to love you.

and yes..I agree...
however we interpret it...one of the best songs ever.
 john76543
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/24/2013 8:36:17 PM
Your prison is walking through this world alone...if you're a DESPERADO :-)
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/25/2013 8:18:34 AM
I've become a terrrible cynic, I guess.

I see the song and lyrics as being "sour grapes" from a guy who cannot get the girl he wants--he responds to her rejection by suggesting she is doomed to miserable, lonely life.

Can't remember if I thought that when I was younger. Of course, back then, I probably didn't even pay attention to the lyrics.
 ladyc4
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/25/2013 12:07:36 PM
Love the tune(and the reprise) but I just always thought it was Henley's autobiography(to that point in time).
Cindy O
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/2/2013 9:27:06 PM
One mans prison is another's cabin in the woods
“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off.”
Thoreau
 rockx07
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/5/2013 2:58:00 PM
Love those EAGLES ~ obvious to me .. lonelyness * can be a prison .. I've been there !! Hated it when my husband left on a suicide train .. it took a few years but I broke loose .. <3 will keep YOU alive but it too can make you afraid to love and let love enter. I don't know if this made any sense .. but it's so hard to find someone special in a world full of takers.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/6/2013 6:17:07 AM
To me the song isn't really in a romantic context outside the artist wanting the song to be relate-able to a female audience - that's where love songs usually make a bigger sale.

I see it as a person who thinks they can do it alone putting themselves in an irreversible place where they then have no one - meaning "everyone"...friends, family, love interests, community, everyone.

Then again songs like this are written so that people in all types of circumstances can get a message from it. What's most important is what you take from it based on your personal experience.

I see the song and lyrics as being "sour grapes" from a guy who cannot get the girl he wants--he responds to her rejection by suggesting she is doomed to miserable, lonely life.

It can most certainly be seen that way, I've thought the same thing - Lord knows we've all been told this at one time or another by a person who wanted us to be as miserable with not choosing them as they were for not being chosen.

One mans prison is another's cabin in the woods
“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off.”
Thoreau

I love that quote...thanks for sharing.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/6/2013 7:13:36 AM
hearing that song on the radio always made me want to turn the dial to another station---to me the 'desparado' was just a whiny wussy guy trying to get sympathy from some woman silly enough to give it to him.
 Peter15245
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/6/2013 1:21:24 PM
Wow....I don't know if I know this song, but the lyric posted in the title is pretty much what im feeling right now. I'm pretty love lorn, had my heart broken, and now this is how I feel. no matter where I go, I feel like im in a prison, trapped by the feelings of a past love that I cannot let go and forget, so its like I could be anywhere at all and its as if im still in a prison. I'm trying very hard to get out...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >