Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Opequon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Quitting smokingPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I made sure I couldn't drive to the store to buy cigarettes...I fractured my right heel and was in a cast for 7 weeks. It was the middle of winter so walking was out of the question. No one would drive me to the store for cigarettes.

I did end up putting on about 40 pounds. But it was not only due to the cigarettes. I had problems from my time in the cast and I was off my foot with a few surgeries for a year. Eating became my friend during the recuperation time.

That weight gain boosted me up where I was a candidate for weight loss surgery. So I have taken off the initial weight gain and then some. With a new exercise program I'll have the rest off soon.
 Truth1ness
Msg: 5
Quitting smoking
Posted: 8/7/2009 3:42:05 PM
On average, the weight you gain is in the neighbourhood of 5-10 pounds...much more than that and you're trading one habit for another...and losing that kind of weight should be efforless if you join the gym maybe prior to your end date for smoking or while you're gradually cutting back?

Truthy...It’s all about the synergy
 C2H5OH
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 8/8/2009 12:17:24 PM
This may sound stupid,but I made a huge "STOP SMOKING STUPID" picture in Photoshop and made it the background on the desktop on my computer.
 friskygrant
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 8/10/2009 4:24:01 PM
How's the desktop working out for ya? If you're bored with it you could always change it to 'start breathing' :)
 Leadfingers
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 8/12/2009 7:19:39 PM
When I quit smoking I also gave up alcohol and caffeine. Two other addictive substances. I didn't like the kind of influence these substances had over me. To deal with the fidgeting and busy hands syndrome I chewed gum and spent a lot of time typing in forums. :-)

One trick is to understand that you do not NEED these substances to live and that they are a waste of money. Without them I have less stress and more money and I have not slept this sound in a long time.
 C2H5OH
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 8/13/2009 12:04:18 PM

When I quit smoking I also gave up alcohol and caffeine. Two other addictive substances. I didn't like the kind of influence these substances had over me. To deal with the fidgeting and busy hands syndrome I chewed gum and spent a lot of time typing in forums. :-)

Give up coffee? BLASPHEMY!!!

But yeah,if you're gonna give up smoking,you also have to give up the other addictions.

One of the greatest moments in life is to sit at Starbucks on a nice weekend morning with a cup of coffee,a cigarette,and a newspaper.....BLISS!
 fady22
Msg: 14
Quitting smoking
Posted: 10/24/2009 6:49:35 PM
i quit smoking on 23 November 2005 its goin to be 4 year . i was thinking of quiting b4 bt nvr had a chance it was 2 am in the morning me and my mates whr smokin enjoying i said to them this is my last cigerat after taht nevr had a cgrt ....it all depens on ur will power how strong u r .it all in ur head .
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 11/27/2010 9:12:39 AM
What are "burpies"?
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 11/27/2010 1:21:37 PM
600,00 pople are killed verye year du to pasisve smoking
as I have alreayd alluded to in my porifle I don't wish to be one or meet somoene then...theyre gasping forn the last breath
Meeting someon whose not in control of themselves...tobacco is, something I can't entertain...nor does my life wnat to be a statistic

On the other hand I can empathise with smoker on how difficult it is to give up ~ seeing a friend suffer a miscarriage, likely because she did have during pregnancy implies it must be a very powerful drug that overcome a persons own self will

~Stevie
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 11/27/2010 9:30:32 PM
"600,00 pople are killed verye year du to pasisve smoking
as I have alreayd alluded to in my porifle I don't wish to be one or meet somoene then...theyre gasping forn the last breath
Meeting someon whose not in control of themselves...tobacco is, something I can't entertain...nor does my life wnat to be a statistic

On the other hand I can empathise with smoker on how difficult it is to give up ~ seeing a friend suffer a miscarriage, likely because she did have during pregnancy implies it must be a very powerful drug that overcome a persons own self will

~Stevie "

HUH???
 KorageHu
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/2/2012 7:30:51 AM
why should you quit smoking? cause i will make fun of you... :) i m not a loser, i dont smoke.
 satx78218
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:38:04 AM
Indian tobacco helps smokers kick the habit and repair their lungs

http://www.naturalnews.com035119_tobacco_lung_health_addiction.html#ixzz1o442VKPf

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Lobelia-Herb-425-mg-100-Capsules/1910?at=0
 Zohreh11
Msg: 30
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2012 10:50:34 AM
Like others have said the primary motivation must come from within. This means you want to quit and are not dependant on gum or other to quit for you. YOU have to decide to quit and short of that affirmation one will continue to smoke no matter how many patches etc are used.
Try scotch tape instead of the patch. Put the tape either over the opening on the deck or over ones mouth...
I quit 14 years ago. Because I wanted to and never looked back.
If you need a system rather than will power you can wake up and NOT smoke for 5 minutes and then next day ten minutes before reaching for a smoke. Day after 15 minutes.
You will relapse and start smoking early at times of stress of fun. Go with it. Smoke. Smoke like crazy, but in a few days go back on the 5-15 minute intervals adding more and more time each day to your non smoking program.
By lunch and you're having a first smoke and then second coffee. Soon its dinner time and no smokes yet. You can quit at any time and simply creating a smoke free environment for yourself in AM as you wake IMO is an easy way to beat the gross habit of smoking tobacco.
Is how I did it. No patch, no gum, no gimmicks. Just create a smoke free environment for yourself and expand that environ daily.
You'll be happy you did but in case you don't quit and get Cancer, search DMSO and MMS on Google as well as Run from the Cure for the word on the big C franchise.
 Pete2205
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/20/2012 10:09:41 AM
I admire them that can quite on good ol willpower. I have been on an E cig the past six months ...I now only have a puff when the craving leaps out at me - Which is less and less these days.

I just think they are brilliant ...The "Smoke" is there, the handling of the cigarette is there and you get the nicotine hit without the toxins...
If you hadn't thought of the E Cig then give it a try.
 qualityl
Msg: 35
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/24/2012 7:51:32 PM
I put no smoking on my profile. But I dated a guy who told me he just quit smoking the same day we went out. Some people will do anything for a date. lol

Good luck to the people who are trying to stop smoking. I know it hard, but you might just live longer.
 Pete2205
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 4/6/2012 1:38:46 AM
its not easy thats for sure
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 37
Quitting smoking
Posted: 5/27/2014 8:47:34 AM

I quit smoking using Chantix. Its expensive but so are ciggerettes. The side effects can be a bit annoying. I had some very lucid dreams for the first week but they didnt really bother me. Some people feel suicidal, to me that is just nicotine withdrawal! I never had those thoughts while on Chantix. Chantix made the ciggs taste absolutley horrible and it blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain. So, even if you do smoke it does nothing for you, which is aggravating, but you have to deal with it. I tend to chew on straws and lots of gum, especially when driving. I also read a book by allen carr. It just opened my eyes and helped me be stronger when I quit. It isnt easy to quit but you have to find the strength to do it! Good luck!

I did the same, right up to reading the Allen Car book. Insurance brought the Chantix down from $200 to $20 for a 30 day supply. 4 months after ending 60 days of Chantix everyone who smoked still stank like a dirty ashtray, so it was easy to remain smoke free. HOWEVER, 9 smoke free months & 40 lbs later it smells so effing good now. Is this normal?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >