Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 clasact
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Can you fall in love with someone on line?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I suppose one could 'fall in love' with the illusion you've created in your head
about someone. And if that holds true when you're in the real world with that
person then great...

I've seen people here talk about it.

It's not really real, until you are eyeball to eyeball as it were.
At least not for me.

You can get a perception of what this person may be like in the real world and help
make a decision as to whether or not you'd like to meet them face-to-face.

I mean you can sit here and type to each other or talk on the phone till the cows come
home. But until you're in the same space as the other person, you can't really know
them.
 RushLuv
Msg: 6
Can you fall in love with someone on line?
Posted: 8/5/2009 7:10:50 AM
Nope. At least not literally.

You can both create a false illusion about falling in love over the net, but it is just that...an illusion.

Until you meet face to face, you won't know until then.

Then again, I do believe that you can have feelings for someone without even meeting first. This has happened to me.
 cookie22222
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:45:56 AM
OP I think that you can absolutely learn to love someone online. I don't know if that would "always" transfer to being IN love, when in person. I can't speak to that, I've never had it happen.

I did however, meet my very best friend in the world online - and we have never met in person. Possibly never will. But we met in odd circumstances, and figuratively held each other's hands across a couple of thousand miles, and got through it. He is my dearest, closest, best friend. And I do love him. But I'm certainly not IN love with him. Could I have been? Maybe at one point in time, but I can't even say yes or no - because it didn't play out that way.
 Truth1ness
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/5/2009 1:01:21 PM
"It happened to me. We got married. It didn't work out in the end though."

I shouldn't smile at that...right?

"Online is one dimension of a person. Two if they are very honest and good at expressing themselves but there is a whole lot missing there. "

I think I'm 4 dimensions...I don't just write a reply to you, I FEEEL a reply at YOU!

The one answer we all seek, will forever be, the Truth.
 NN83
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/5/2009 2:06:50 PM
I would say falling in love, yeah. To be in love and to have never met, not quite. I count that as 2 different things.

Online you can capture who they are, people usually let go and can easily be themselves when online. But there's still a good amount missing that you don't know/see when you've never been with them in person.
 Pitch Blease
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/5/2009 2:36:09 PM
I think this only happens to weak and desperate people. Say you have someone who doesn't get much attention and is lonely. The other person says all the right things and falls "in love" with the idea of someone "loving" them without having to actually meet each other. The people that fall in love on line are the same people that have money waiting in an account in Nigeria. I feel you have to know the person IN PERSON to get to know someone.
 army3
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/5/2009 2:51:21 PM
Um...... I don't think you can. If you can't see how they live, and can't visit them and have random experiences together, how well do you reall know them? One could get that butterfly thing going on, but that's just the chemistry. It needs time and interaction in order to properly develop. Otherwise, the thing you get online is used to what they say. What a person says could be diluted by many factors, or justa plain flat out lie. Love isn't real until you can work together for long sustained periods of time.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:44:25 PM
I agree with Dreamweaver941 and benevolent_quintessence... YES, you can fall in love with someone online. I have met a man on this site and I am deeply in love with him, and he with me. We are planning on marrying and being together for the rest of our lives.

Because it doesn't happen for everyone, doesn't mean it cannot happen for some. We are in love with the people we are inside, not just the outward facade. I know this man so well and I love who he is. I love his intelligence and his determination, his quirky sense of humor, his compassion for others, his intuitiveness when it comes to how I'm feeling. I love everything about this man and nothing will change that. I have not yet stood face to face with him, but I have no doubts about the depths of our feelings for each other. He has touched my soul and I have touched his. Our minds are so in sync, as are our spirits. We KNOW we belong together.

Those who have not experienced this, can think what they will. I've never seen God in person, but I still believe in him. I've never seen Paul in person, but I still believe in our love for each other. I know others who have fallen in love via internet and it's worked out. I've also known people who fell in love via the internet and the relationship eventually ended. There are NO guarantees that meeting in person will be anymore successful than meeting online. At least this way, you aren't swept away by appearance. You get to know whether you really LIKE them for who they are and not for what they look like.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/5/2009 8:39:54 PM

I'm not sure you can fall in love with someone online when your only form of communication is via the net. How do you know the person is who they say they are without meeting them?
I learned that the man in my life is who he says he is quite easily. I googled him. He is in Wikipedia and information about him is on numerous other sites, since he is fairly well-known in his native country. Everything he told me about himself is true. I've also spoken with family members of his. We also don't communicate only via the net. We talk on the phone several times a day.

I was fortunate in that I was able to make sure he was who he said he was. He doesn't have that opportunity with me. He has to rely on believing in my honesty, as I would have believed in his, had I not found anything about him online. We believe in each other and the love we share. We don't expect others to understand how we can be so sure of something so unusual, but we KNOW that what we feel for each other is the real thing.
 kpooks
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2009 12:15:41 PM
There can be a lot of passion in words, but you really don't know a person until you've met and spent quality time getting to know one another and get physically close to determine warmth (or lack thereof) and affection levels.
 Wyatt Earp1
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/8/2009 12:57:27 AM
Gosh she looks so beautiful and we have been talking online now for two months. I just want to smell her hair as I gently hold her cheeks with my hands and kiss her lips.
Her eyes hypnotize me and I'm getting dizzy thinking of holding her in my arms.

I'm sorry,what were we talking about? :D

Yes of course we can fall in love online. Thought it's easier to do offline.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2009 12:58:00 PM
You can fall in love with the idea of a person online, but until you actually meet them out in the real world, its all hopes and dreams and illusion, talking yourself into something you want to believe.

OK, I know this is throwing down my nerd card, but there is a great episode of Star Trek TNG where Geordi falls in love with a character on the holodeck, a representation of an engineer who worked on the engine designs of the ship. In a later episode he gets to meet the real person, and she wasn't who he had quite made her out to be in his mind.
 Krystal413
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2009 7:48:31 PM
You can fall in love with the mental image you have of that online person, but when you meet in person, you may well be meeting someone totally different from that online mental image you had and that someone could be someone you don't love.
 Wyatt Earp1
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/8/2009 10:30:15 PM
benevolent_quintessence on 8/8/2009 11:09:27 AM
Subject: Can you fall in love with someone on line?
Wyatt Earp1: "Gosh she looks so beautiful and we have been talking online now for two months. I just want to smell her hair as I gently hold her cheeks with my hands and kiss her lips.
Her eyes hypnotize me and I'm getting dizzy thinking of holding her in my arms.

I'm sorry,what were we talking about? :D

Yes of course we can fall in love online. Thought it's easier to do offline."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

benevolent_quintessence said:

"You see, a guy who is discipline and understands himself enough to know how love effects him, understands how to fall in love on line. It's not about insanity, it's about self awareness and self love. He understands what he wants, and is patient enough to wait for her to be ready to provide it. Now, can she be a fake? Yes. But this can happy in person as well. So the only difference is, it takes more effort and self awareness to know how to fall in love with a person online. Wyatt Earp1, you have my full respect buddy. And congrats to you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most kind thanks. Barkeep, give me whiskey. Btw benevolent_quintessence you make some logical points. Now if only this illusionary woman would show up...or rather I need to hunt her down... :D Bait, set and trap or release...
 Wyatt Earp1
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/8/2009 10:36:13 PM
mahogany-rush on 8/7/2009 709 PM

Subject: Can you fall in love with someone on line?
Message: No is the simple answer, but people have fallen in love, I would question their sanity though, most of those folks fall in love with the idea of falling in love , and very rare that someone falls in love on line and meet in person and the love blossoms, thats very rare.
=======================================================

What's crazy is the instant attraction for a few hours, days, weeks or months...followed by a let down when you realize your "internet love time" has faded away. Meaning either one or both decided the attraction is no longer there. Weird...some kind of internet love theory...
 Vincent_1984
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2009 8:37:05 AM
I think it really depends on each individual but I don't really think it's possible. I know have gotten infatuated with the profiles of some women here, women who I could easily have seen myself spending the rest of my days with(although it usually just ends with a read/delete), but if I don't have some sort of physical contact with this person than I just don't want to allow myself fall in love with them. Even if I was to make that commitment, without that physical connection, all I could really offer is the kind of love I would offer a friend, not a life partner. There is also a lot of doubt and uncertainty that comes into play with "just online", since it becomes a lot harder to determine if they really are anything like what they project themselves to be. Love is not a commitment that I take lightly, so I need assurance.

I could be wrong too, maybe I just haven't met the right person online yet. There really aren't any universal rules, especially not when it comes to love, so maybe it is possible.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/11/2009 3:50:35 PM
No. You won't be falling in love with them, but having a love-like crush on an online-version of them.

Yes, it has to be physical to make it real. If you've never met someone, there is no commitment, there is no boyfriend/girlfriend, there is no real intimacy...

How could you be going out with someone you never touched? Kissed? MET? Let alone falling in "love"? Don't be a sucker, that's all I gotta say...

Warned a younger friend of mine... he fell for a gal he "met" on World of Warcraft. He fell in love with her. He is not a nerd by any means, either. Took a plane ticket to fly across the country, and it never really happened. Why don't I say "it fell apart"? Because there was really no "it" to begin with.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >