Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can long distance relationships work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RobertKoi
Msg: 21
Can long distance relationships work?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Trust can easily become an issue in these cases. You're supposed to sit back at home hundreds of miles away and just believe in every word. The distance isn't the only problem.
 startle
Msg: 22
Can long distance relationships work?
Posted: 1/2/2010 2:58:13 PM
i really hate to break it to you but you mean nothing to him....and you are seriously considering paying your own way...has the whole world gone mad....this guy must be quite amused by you.....do you have to go through all this to get laid...wow...that is trully sad....relationship....quit being so gullible....
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/2/2010 4:14:54 PM

Yes, some women actually work, make money, and believe in being equitable. You may feel that this is insane, amusing, and gullible. That's your prerogative.

What's makes you think she doesn't work or make money? You didn't see the pics in her work space?
 ICMUD
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2010 5:00:11 PM

He now wants to fly me down again for the weekend to visit him. I really want to see him again, but should I accept his offer to pay for my ticket? Or should I pay my own way? Has anyone had experience in a long distance relationship. Can this work?

now this is a good post..

OP i think you know what the right thing to do here is already, but many would just take that advantage and say "well if his dumb enough to offer im going on a free holiday" yet some would would look at the bigger picture and say "i really like this guy and i dont want to use him"
i think thats keeping it more in prospective and being more respectful to the relationship you may want to continue. yes if it turns out you 2 are meant for each other, im sure later down the track excepting his help to fly over is ok, but for now if you feel you can afford it, at least offer to pay half of the flight.. i think at least that will make you feel better on the inside & work on the rest later..
Posted: 1/2/2010 5:40:12 PM
Pinkrose
I know from personal experience (well actually.... my moms) that LD relationships can work. My mom dated a man for over 1 year and they did get married, He was the best father in the world. He came to visit her every 2 months and they talked on the phone (landlines only then) almost everyday and they constantly "mailed" letters back and forth.
Not even CD (close distance) relationships work alot of the times, so as long as your comfortable with the situation then go for it.
Good Luck
Since this is an old thread .....I wonder what happened???
 MissRavenHoney
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/2/2010 8:27:23 PM
They can and they do, but more often than not other things suffer in the meantime.... remember a person can 'hide' their true selves in long distance relationships (although sneaky ones can in locals ones too) but more often than not, the 'real' person isn't visable untill they are local.

Raven
 briargate
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/27/2010 4:36:33 PM
It's a shame that ~pinkrose hasn't returned to update us. While I don't put a lot of faith in long distance relationships working, I do think they are at least possible, perhaps more so for others than for me. I would have liked the two I had to work out, as one was just in the neighboring state and in a town I could have easily lived in. But the long distance dating is what really made it difficult. That I think is the crux of it. If you already have a relationship and have to go through a period apart, that is much easier to do I think.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/28/2010 9:16:39 AM
They can work:
1) with major commitment form both parties - and an understanding of what both expect "down the road" -
and/or,
2) if the distance is temporary (a year or two) but the partners are making efforts to see each other as often as possible -
and/or,
3) the partners were in a regular relationship of close proximity and were then separated by distance/time - but already had a commitment and an understanding of the possible length of the separation period.

If two people are just starting an LDR but neither is ever able/willing to relocate -
what's the point?

So yes, it's possible to make an LDR work, but you need to recognize the chances of the possible outcomes before you begin, and be prepared for them (as much as possible, anyway).
 *pisceseyes
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/20/2010 12:49:01 AM
if y'alls stories are correct then thats promising news!....in an "idealistic" world that is.

i guess people can move mountains when its "REAL"..... all i know is Canadian men IS where its AT... one in particular, in Toronto :(

PERFECT.....I'll get him ....Im ambitious like that..no fear :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can long distance relationships work?