Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Hip Hop vs Rap      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 needsomefemz
Msg: 17
Hip Hop vs RapPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

If you want some real hip hop check out Dutchmassive, kinda is in the same category as Nicolay far as producing goes and with the touch of jazz added, but Dutch IMO is better. He works with Dela,Von Pea from Tanya Morgan,Median,Celph,etc. Alot of cats never heard of him so im trying to get the word out.

We don't say damn, we just whoaaaaaaaaa. Haha.

You really know some stuff about some good underground hiphop. I was pretty stoked about Nicolay's City Lights Vol. 2 being that I played Vol 1.5 like crazy, but after hearing that sampler, I'm kind of worried about how it's going to end up....
 jdawg4876
Msg: 18
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 9/3/2009 5:47:32 AM
I agree some of my favorite artist are masta ace, brother ali, murs, atmosphere, slaine, slaughterhouse and many more
 logicalpersonified
Msg: 19
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 9/23/2009 4:21:05 PM
Technically rap is a product of hiphop culture.

Basically there are 4 pillars to hiphop culture. Turntablism (DJing), Rapping, Graffiti & Break Dancing. Some would argue there are 5 with the inclusion of Beat Boxing, but that is debatable.

There is no such argument as hiphop vs rap. Some would say this artist is hiphop, and this artist is rap. That is just their opinion. Because it's all rap, which is a part of hiphop culture.
 jdawg4876
Msg: 20
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 9/27/2009 3:33:30 PM
actually your wrong the 5th is not beat boxing some include- being a b-boy.

There are different genres of hip hop/rap, just like you got blues, soft rock, hard rock, heavy metal. In hip hop you got, gangster rap, backpack rap, emo rap, traditional boom bap rap etc... I guess it is nice to see other folks knowing and respecting different genres in a whole music collection.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 21
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 9/28/2009 3:00:04 AM

actually your wrong the 5th is not beat boxing some include- being a b-boy.

Actually, a b-boy is a break dancer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-boy
I am currious what you think a b-boy is?

Some would, as mentioned earlier, consider beat boxing to be a fifth pillar , others would say a beat boxer is an MC (rapper).

Because it's all rap, which is a part of hiphop culture.

Not every hip-hop song is rap. There is hip-hop without any vocals, like the Invisible Scratch Pickles, and some with a singer and no rapper, like Shiela E.

Here's a good list of the different hip-hop styles.
http://www.rapnews.net/0-202-259247-00.html

Styles upon styles upon styles

Through the good folks at allmusic.com we were able to compile a list of different hip-hop styles. Remember, hip-hop styles are loose and artists often make music that can't be classified with one label.

Alternative: Often eclectic rap that deviates from the traditional hardcore, gangsta, pop and party rap. Artists: Outkast, The Roots, Common, Black Eyed Peas, Michael Franti.

Bass: A fast-paced dance floor sound frequently associated with Miami and Atlanta, where deep bass accompanies beats that travel at breakneck speeds. Artists: DJ Magic Mike, Luke.

Chopped & Screwed: According to allmusic.com, Houston's DJ Screw had an uncanny mixing style where his records were pitched down to a slow and lumbering pace. Artists who have employed this style: Lil Flip, David Banner.

Crunk: A frenetic, energy-driven type of style specifically engineered for the dance floor. Artists: Lil' Jon & The Eastside Boyz, Three 6 Mafia.

East Coast: Or more specifically northeast U.S. sound, the first nationally recognized hip-hop epi-center. Dense, aggressive break beats — a dominant repetitive drum beat — but also jazz-oriented dusty-grooves. Artists: Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z, Nas, Talib Kweli.

Gangsta: An edgy and often profane hip-hop style where the common element is the content: gritty street tales that portray a dim reality where the artist can be the subject or the observer. Artists: 2pac, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks.

G-Funk: A specific sound that employs P-funk, melodic synthesizers and slow and steady grooves. This style is most identified with the West Coast gangsta aesthetic of the mid-1990s. Artists: Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Warren G.

Golden Age: A period in hip-hop between 1986 and 1993. Many argue that the best hip-hop albums were recorded during this era. Artists from that period: Public Enemy, Eric B. & Rakim, Slick Rick.

Hardcore: Both a description of the content and of the sonic quality, which often has a minimalist sound bed of a sample and hard drumbeat. Artists: Jadakiss, DMX, Lil' Kim

Old School: Hip-hop at the beginning, before it became such a mainstream commodity. Artists: Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, Doug E. Fresh, Run D.M.C., The Fat Boys.

Pop Rap: Hip-hop music specifically tailored to have a radio-friendly, crossover type of appeal. Artists: P. Diddy, Will Smith.

Southern: The most identifiable elements are ''bounce'' beats and deep bass-grooves that often are party-centered, or can be created in the tradition of Southern soul and blues. Artists: Ludacris, David Banner, Lil' Flip, T.I.

Trip-Hop: Down-tempo soul, funk and jazz over a breakbeat. It's also a dance-based techno music, but set to a hip-hop groove. Artists: DJ Shadow, tricky, Morcheeba, Portishead.

Underground: Purist, avante-garde hip-hop that strives to align itself with the sound's origins. The music tends to place an emphasis on lyricism and unconventional beats. Artists: Madlib, MF Doom, El-P, Jurassic 5.

West Coast: While it could be described as any hip-hop from this particular region, West Coast also can describe a sound: slow grooves, Parliament-Funkadelic samples and synthesizers. Artists: Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg.
 logicalpersonified
Msg: 22
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 10/4/2009 12:24:30 AM
I have to laugh because we're all a bunch of white dudes talking about hiphop. :P

Technically speaking " Invisible Scratch Pickles" is turntablism. That's Q-Bert, Shortkut, Mixmaster Mike and Apollo.

Basically what I said in my previous post is all rap is hiphop. Just like all turntablism is hiphop as well. There are bands with hiphop influences, like Portishead and Morcheeba. But they are not technically hiphop.

Let's face it, hiphop has influenced all other music genres. Every last one. But from a purist's point of view, there is a clear distinction between a hiphop song and a hiphop influenced song.
 logicalpersonified
Msg: 23
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 10/4/2009 12:34:48 AM
In addendum to your hiphop sub genre list, you left off Nerdcore. :P
There are plenty of people who enjoy Paul Barman, MC Chris and Deltron 3030.

I have no idea why. I find it annoying, but hey, it's still hiphop. :)
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 24
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 10/7/2009 7:07:29 AM
as a 57 year old man, i know i am open to criticism but here goes.

to me, rap is a different genre altogether from hiphop. they just happen to have originated from the same (urban) culture.

rap is more of the audiolizing of your emotions, feelings, thoughts, sentiments and OUTRAGE. you are telling your audience something about what's inside you.

hiphop is more flowing with a dance beat. i like to dance and grind so i prefer hiphop.

can anyone correct this "older" gentleman or am i basically correct?
 jdawg4876
Msg: 25
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 10/22/2009 6:34:53 PM
prob not many and thats the pt I was trying to make I think most people no matter how old or young could find a genre that was appealing to them.
 E_Squared817
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 11/17/2009 11:55:48 AM
Hip-Hop is the culture and backing for rap. Hip-Hop isn't just music, but like I said, it has to do with culture, like grafitti art, b-boying, etc.

Rap is the music that goes with it.

Having been a hip-hop fan since childhood, I can say that I can care less about today's rap, unless it's underground or guys who I have liked, as well as have had a great deal of respect for since day one. I am open to any form of rap, whether it's the experimental kind, hardcore kind, you name it. As long as it appeals to me.
 PEACE of MIND
Msg: 27
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 11/20/2009 9:21:06 AM
RAP = Rhythm And Poetry. Its real. Its about who you are, what you do and what your about.

Hip-Hop is wanna be rappers aka the the junk they play on mtv, hiphop artists have other people write lyrics for them, and it represents a character they play to be popular, and its mainly about the beat, they figure since there music sux so bad they will sing to a cool beat wit loud bass so people wont pay attention the the actual song. And probably the absolute worst person i ever heard is lil wayne or sometin like that, first of all he has no flow, and when they "enhance" his voice in the studio it turns out sounding like hes singing under water

RLC89
Msg: 28
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 11/25/2009 2:12:01 PM
PEACE of MIND: Are you confusing the two?

I always thought Hip Hop was the good stuff that actually spoke out and told real stories. Akon, most of Tupac's, some of Eminems (when he does songs like 'Mockingbird' that's when he's at his best)...

Rap is that ghetto shit that all the little 13 year old middle school kids can't seem to get enough of because they think lyrics like "Smack yo b!tch" or "Stick dat ho" make them cool kids. Who can we put in this category? Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Lil Kim, Ludacris...
 E_Squared817
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 11/25/2009 2:36:29 PM
Well, some of the time, people refer to hip-hop as the likes of The Roots, Jurassic 5, Souls of Mischief, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, etc. with rap as the stuff like dirty rap and gangsta rap, but why separate when the aforementioned rappers rap themselves?
 PEACE of MIND
Msg: 30
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 11/25/2009 8:02:26 PM
well now its all getting mixed up, that mite be how it is 2day. but originally Tu Pac is a rapper not a hip-hop artist, cuz real rap is about lyrics and thats what he was, a poet. but mtv and the media are gettin it all mixed up and put together and stupid stuff like that
 KristenRene
Msg: 31
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:06:03 PM
i totally agree. i have always said that hip hop is different than rapping. i think that rap is really bad and gives real hip hop a bad name. just because u can rap does not mean that you are a hip hip artist, just as if you can paint doesn't make you a painter or an artist. there is indeed a big difference.
 davidvarga
Msg: 32
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 2/12/2010 6:41:57 PM
Hip Hop is a Culture...Rap is One Facet of a larger Culture. Although Rap is now the predominant element representing the culture in our current time...Emceeing...B Boying...DJing...Graffitti..Those are all part of the culture. Its bigger than just Rap.. Its a style of dress and a way of life....If you are aware otpf The Nation of Gods and Earths some would say hip hop is even a religion.

The current brand is not my favorite a lot of it is way to similar and Im from the age were biting was NOT allowed. The older groups had no choice but to perform live to make a living they did show after show after show and the ones successful enough to land a deal were master performers long befor they ever cut a record

Now the Industry is changed any one with a mic and a computer can set up in his moms basement and make rap songs. The focus has shifted from songwriting and delivery to Recording Quality and Marketability..I did a show with Ggorilla Zoe he lipsinced his whole set..Disapointing

There is hope even though the industry pushes out a few Laffy Taffys or Party like a rock stars a minute I've noticed a trend that gives me hope. There are Mega stars that are original....Jay Z ...Kanye ..Ludacris..Common..Outcast.. These guys don't fit into the cookie cutter mold and are maintaining.

I loved classic hip hop music because it incorperated so many other genres into it. Diversity is in the roots so as much as some of us hate the pop music its still hip hop..

My preferances are the Underground Rappers they are touring city to city just like the pioneers to survive.. Planet Asia...C Rayz Walz..Little Brother... They might not be Household names but They make lifelong loyal fans each and every nite.

Unrelated but Best Hip Hop Album of 09...to me Raekwon Only Built For Cuban Links 2....If your a fan of hip hop culture...BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!!
 davidvarga
Msg: 33
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 2/12/2010 7:04:55 PM
Hip Hop is the inherited Legacy of Jazz and Soul.Its roots in language go as far back as the beginning of the twentieth Century."Hip" means cool "Hop" means to Dance... Im not sure if he's Credited with inventing the term but I think The term rap was applied to music first when describing Cab Calloways Reefer Man in 1933. Its a beat nick term that means to talk...."Let me rap to you for a minute" while the R.A.P. Term is clever and apropriate its not the origin of the word. I don't mean to come off as preachy or a know it all.. But todays Mathematics are Knowledge Wisdom....Each one teach one......
 ManicTheory
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 2/21/2010 7:38:02 PM
wow, such strong opinions over something so trivial. look at all the genres/sub genres of music in general. shit changes so much its hard to keep up with everything. when it comes down to it, people like what they like, and dont what they dont. its as simple as that. there is no straight up definition for hip hop, or rap because everyone has there own take on it.

i say let the ignorant stay ignorant. if they want to listen to only whats on the radio then let em. i choose to go outside the lines, i dont want mtv or the radio to tell me what to listen to. dont get me wrong, i like some of that mainstream stuff, but thats me.

no one should hate anyone who likes something different. if you like country, thats your thing. if you like someone yellin a lot, thats your thing. dont hate someone for there thing.

so, that being said, this is some of MY THING. these are a few examples of hip hop to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9UUC3R08Xs
ra tha rugged!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsoKLzdPqmw
UD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZLq6R-ZtM
Tribe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0fVQ3i90zg
Black Sheep
 ManicTheory
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 2/22/2010 11:46:05 PM
yes, i agree, i enjoy reading what others opinions are on this subject. but i also think you nailed the forehead with what you said.

my whole take on the hip hop vs. rap is this.

in the beginning there was an original 4 elements of hip hop. this would make hip hop an actual culture and not just a form of music like its believed to be today.

the 5 were
1.B-boying
2.the art of DJing
3. MC's (mic control/rapping)
4. Graffiti art.

well, i say 4 but there is 5 elements the 5th is knowledge. like knowing the history, knowing the ones that put down the path to what hip hop is today, and respecting them as such.

as time passed more elements were added (bullshit if you ask me, but i guess everyone wants a piece of the pie)

these were
6. beatboxing (making sounds with your mouth, or hands to make a beat to spit to.)
7. fashion
8. slang (ebonix if you want to get technical but i feel thats a bullshit term too, slang is credited to all races and not just because your black.)

next to be added is a 9th element "beat makeing"

if you keep adding shit to the pile it becomes less important. hence the problem we are facing here with this debate. most feel that hip hop is just the music side of it, but its actually a way of life, music is just a part of it.

this is as close to a definition i can think of. and yet its still an opinion of what i understand hip hop to be.

rap/mc's = a part of hip hop.

not rap vs hip hop, these should never be compared to each other because they are the same thing.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 36
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 2/23/2010 2:32:06 AM
Please re-read post #25.
All of this hip-hop is real rap is fake or the reverse is simply bs.
Rap is to hip-hop, what singing is to rock and roll.

All rap is hip-hop. It does not matter if it is great or sucks donkey-balls. Rap is one of the four pilliars of hip-hop. The other 3 being turntableism, graffiti, and breakdancing.

You can also look at post #35 for a partial list of different hip-hop styles.
 130nes
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 9/11/2010 10:22:51 AM
There isn't really any difference, just the marketing machine working to get you to part with your hard earned cash.

Modern
 DomG79
Msg: 38
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 12/25/2011 5:13:56 AM
Hip Hop is a culture. Rap is a music. Lil Wayne was better when the Hot Boyz were together. 50 was good on "How To Rob" and other earlier work. These guys get bigger and start pushing more garbage. Mainstream rap from 15 years ago and back produced some timeless classics. I prefer more underground, independent rap myself. Hip Hop is a culture from the break dancing, graffiti, battle rapping, and all that. The radio has been Hip Hop's worst enemy.
 jblack187
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 12/26/2011 12:24:14 PM
I know a lot of enthusiasts try to say there's a difference...like hip-hop is a culture while rap is just the music of that culture. They say stuff like mainstream rap has no place in hip-hop culture. But...I think that's stupid. Who would know hip-hop culture better than the people in the projects right? What do I hear when I'm in the projects? The same shitty hip-pop that I hear when I'm hanging out with white girls. I hear a bunch of people with Lil or Young in their name. You know what I don't hear when I'm in the projects? I don't hear Big L, Nas, Canibus, or even Eminem. The music that people say is real hip-hop doesn't even seem to be appreciated by the people that are supposedly part of the hip-hop subculture. Yea, I know I'm generalizing based on personal experiences, but I still think it's pretty valid. At least here in Georgia, I'm sure it's different the farther north you go.

I'm a white rapper. I put a lot of time into my lyrics. Coming up with clever punchlines, multisyllable rhymes, tongue twisters...the kind of stuff that "real" rappers do. I don't consider myself to be part of some sort of hip-hop culture because I do that kind of music though. You wouldn't ever catch me doing some lame shit like breakdancing or spraying graffti on a brick wall. I'd rather play Megaman, or spend 20 minutes writing posts for this forum.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:23:14 PM
I like what sounds good but I am more on the hip hop side. Would you consider this to be hip hop or rap?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYW17u0JzXs
 thecoldvein
Msg: 41
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:40:39 AM
Wow this thread is just full of ignorant, intelligence lacking nonsense.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Hip Hop vs Rap