Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Hip Hop vs Rap      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ManicTheory
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs RapPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
yes, i agree, i enjoy reading what others opinions are on this subject. but i also think you nailed the forehead with what you said.

my whole take on the hip hop vs. rap is this.

in the beginning there was an original 4 elements of hip hop. this would make hip hop an actual culture and not just a form of music like its believed to be today.

the 5 were
1.B-boying
2.the art of DJing
3. MC's (mic control/rapping)
4. Graffiti art.

well, i say 4 but there is 5 elements the 5th is knowledge. like knowing the history, knowing the ones that put down the path to what hip hop is today, and respecting them as such.

as time passed more elements were added (bullshit if you ask me, but i guess everyone wants a piece of the pie)

these were
6. beatboxing (making sounds with your mouth, or hands to make a beat to spit to.)
7. fashion
8. slang (ebonix if you want to get technical but i feel thats a bullshit term too, slang is credited to all races and not just because your black.)

next to be added is a 9th element "beat makeing"

if you keep adding shit to the pile it becomes less important. hence the problem we are facing here with this debate. most feel that hip hop is just the music side of it, but its actually a way of life, music is just a part of it.

this is as close to a definition i can think of. and yet its still an opinion of what i understand hip hop to be.

rap/mc's = a part of hip hop.

not rap vs hip hop, these should never be compared to each other because they are the same thing.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 37
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 2/23/2010 2:32:06 AM
Please re-read post #25.
All of this hip-hop is real rap is fake or the reverse is simply bs.
Rap is to hip-hop, what singing is to rock and roll.

All rap is hip-hop. It does not matter if it is great or sucks donkey-balls. Rap is one of the four pilliars of hip-hop. The other 3 being turntableism, graffiti, and breakdancing.

You can also look at post #35 for a partial list of different hip-hop styles.
 130nes
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 9/11/2010 10:22:51 AM
There isn't really any difference, just the marketing machine working to get you to part with your hard earned cash.

Modern
 DomG79
Msg: 40
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 12/25/2011 5:13:56 AM
Hip Hop is a culture. Rap is a music. Lil Wayne was better when the Hot Boyz were together. 50 was good on "How To Rob" and other earlier work. These guys get bigger and start pushing more garbage. Mainstream rap from 15 years ago and back produced some timeless classics. I prefer more underground, independent rap myself. Hip Hop is a culture from the break dancing, graffiti, battle rapping, and all that. The radio has been Hip Hop's worst enemy.
 jblack187
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 12/26/2011 12:24:14 PM
I know a lot of enthusiasts try to say there's a difference...like hip-hop is a culture while rap is just the music of that culture. They say stuff like mainstream rap has no place in hip-hop culture. But...I think that's stupid. Who would know hip-hop culture better than the people in the projects right? What do I hear when I'm in the projects? The same shitty hip-pop that I hear when I'm hanging out with white girls. I hear a bunch of people with Lil or Young in their name. You know what I don't hear when I'm in the projects? I don't hear Big L, Nas, Canibus, or even Eminem. The music that people say is real hip-hop doesn't even seem to be appreciated by the people that are supposedly part of the hip-hop subculture. Yea, I know I'm generalizing based on personal experiences, but I still think it's pretty valid. At least here in Georgia, I'm sure it's different the farther north you go.

I'm a white rapper. I put a lot of time into my lyrics. Coming up with clever punchlines, multisyllable rhymes, tongue twisters...the kind of stuff that "real" rappers do. I don't consider myself to be part of some sort of hip-hop culture because I do that kind of music though. You wouldn't ever catch me doing some lame shit like breakdancing or spraying graffti on a brick wall. I'd rather play Megaman, or spend 20 minutes writing posts for this forum.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:23:14 PM
I like what sounds good but I am more on the hip hop side. Would you consider this to be hip hop or rap?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYW17u0JzXs
 thecoldvein
Msg: 43
Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:40:39 AM
Wow this thread is just full of ignorant, intelligence lacking nonsense.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Hip Hop vs Rap