Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scorpiomover
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Reincarnation, from a scientific perspectivePage 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I've heard from lots of different sources that current scientific theory is that there are lots more dimensions than the ones we can see. Consciousness may simply be held in some of those extra dimensions.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 102
Reincarnation, from a scientific perspective
Posted: 9/15/2009 4:50:44 PM
Ergo cosmic conciousness.
 forumrun4
Msg: 103
Posted: 5/7/2011 4:06:36 PM
I have really no idea if reincarnation is possible...thou i am doing many
experiments in this life...i have to get it right if there is an afterlife.

I have hypothesized, therrized and tested various genders and concluded
that none of them have been very God like
 crguy43
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 5:41:52 PM
energy, like matter, cannot be created or destroyed...only transmuted---Roger Penrose has some thoughts about this inherent in his theory of the quantum soul...
 easydizy
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/15/2012 4:49:25 AM
People believe in all shorts of weird ideas,,Life just IS, no more, no less.It is up each one of us to create a meaning for the life we live in. We humans have climbed close to the top of the highest mountain of knowledge, but as we try to reach the top of that mountain, we are always greeted by a bunch of priests who have all the answers.
Fortunately these days they only know what happened before the Big Bang.
 mmadkins
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:30:43 PM
"US" it would depend on what you mean. If you're going to define your existence as pertaining to all the atoms that were once apart of your body, then you're probably spread about the world already. Skin flakes that come off you have already passed through the air. Maybe a dust mite ate some of your skin and you know live as the guy who started this thread and as baby dust mites?
But, what about things that aren't even alive? Would they also count as "you" as well?
Generally, I would define my existence as my consciousness. If I am able to think then I exist.
 ericwashere123
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/10/2012 1:25:04 AM
the sliver lining,

reincarnation is not philosophical; it's based in religion and mysticism. furthermore, outside of the lens of science; testibility, falsifiability, and the scientific method. with that that said, i think what you are looking for, is 'Naturalistic Pantheism'. the way that 'Naturalistic Pantheism' would relate to reincarnation;[ i'm not going to explain pantheism] is that matter/energy can not be created nor destroyed, in that sense, we are all just recycled matter/energy. [i use matter/energy based on general relativity]

but yeah, there's your scientific scrutinization, YAY!!! as well, an actual philosophy we can discuss. i suggest starting with Spinoza if you would like to discovery more. happy hunting :)

ericwashere123
 lagoda
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/10/2012 9:38:37 PM

absurd to even use the words "reincarnation" and "scientific" in the same sentence

galaxy15 has done it without sounding absurd.

"There is no scientific perspective of reincarnation.
Science has not fused the necessary disciplines to understand the concept - or for that matter detect any proof of reincarnation,"
 quietstorm8
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2012 2:14:29 PM
i like to suggest that so called ' junk dna' may

carry the mechanism that transmit specific consciousness and
life experience to a new body.
 Kevin554
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/12/2012 5:28:26 PM
"Would it make sense that as we decompose, and return to the earth so to speak parts of us are eventually absorbed by other humans (or other living things). Living things divert those pieces of us into creating new offspring that in turn are concentrated in to a consciousness that is only minutely "us", and minutely parts of others things that have lived (life as we know it: animals, plants). As a result we individually, and simultaneously experience this as our own new conciousness. It may be that it all combines to be one. I don't know. Is this completely illogocal?"

-No. Once the brain is gone, memory goes with it. Ask an alzeimer's patient, or anyone who has been reincarnated if they remember their past life. The only way for the mind to inheret anything is psychological because the brain needs to grow off of the basic building blocks. I'll admit though even though this is obviously true, it does conflict with a spiritual perspective.
 chainsawtheclown
Msg: 112
Posted: 4/16/2012 9:56:09 PM
To understand how crazy ideas come up and get believed in, one need only go to various forums and read on any topic which involves, god, religion, ghosts, bigfoot, aliens or anything else that is impossible to prove as a negative.

Entire human cultures will take nutty ideas like Zeus or a wold that sits on the back of a giant turtle and believe it like there is absolutely no chance it isn't an absolute. In other words, the human mind can be shaped into believing anything.

It still remains that thoughts, personal history, personality are all created by an incredibly complex machine of a brain. A "soul" as it is described by most people is an "image" of these traits. Like a program sitting on a disk. Like a file. The question of this thread is basically asking, can this file/image be transferred to the surrounding environment and stored until it is then reanimated in another human or animal or tree or ghost. There is, to date, absolutely no evidence of any kind that such a transfer would be able to take place or that there is any mechanism for this image to be stored outside the mind which it was constructed in.

Also, when people speak of the soul and afterlife, the image seems to retain it's personality. Something which would serve absolutely no purpose in a non physical world. Another problem is the filing system. Suppose you are buried in a graveyard and your "soul" seeps into the ground. Highly unlikely that a ground filled with all these people is going to keep that all strait. No more DNA or physical boundaries, seems like it would all muddle up together. After all you can only fit so many different radio waves in a band before they start effecting each other. When people talk about ghosts and such they always speak of "waves" and "energies" and "vibrations." Unfortunately they obviously have zero experience dealing with such things cuz any good Ham radio operator can tell you that those bandwidths get clogged up pretty fast. It's like taking all different colors of light and turning them on at once, Eventually yer just gonna get white. (bad analogy but you get the picture)

As a person who has been dead twice now, I can say with 100% honesty that (for me) there was absolutely nothing there. Not so much as a dream or a flash of light. I would assume this has a lot to do with my lack of belief that an after life exists in any form. Still, I know someone who, in a near death experience, remembers vividly seeing her dead grandmother in the room. This is a person who spent a lot of time in church. Given that the mind can create lucid dreams and various hallucinations, it seems quite plausible that her mind could build on her belief system under duress and create that moment for her.

So it's impossible to prove there is no afterlife. It's easy to show there is no known physical mechanism to facilitate it and one doesn't seem to loom on the horizon. As for the people who say why bother spending any effort discussing it, I think the effort isn't completely wasted in that the afterlife is almost always used as evidence, threats, bait or rewards regarding religion. Though I don't really care what anyone believes as far as religion, once the religion starts trying to push it's influence on government, then it's extremely important to point out that religion is based upon complete fabrications of the mind. None of which can be proven. Not Christ, Not Mohammad, Not the Mormons or Scientology. It's all nothing but hearsay at it's core, 1st day, self proclaimed prophet claim of holiness.

That's why the discussion of afterlife is always a valid one. So that people understand that religion is a choice. A choice which for much of history, was mandated by threat of death and at this point in time there is a claim of freedom which is constantly under siege by those who want religion running the government according to one "holy" book or another.

You cannot have a free country if the government bans any religion. You cannot have a free government if any religions gains control over the government. Freedom under one belief system is not freedom :) So if there is reincarnation..... I was obviously, at one time Thomas Paine >:)
 secretroots
Msg: 113
Posted: 4/23/2012 10:39:45 AM
^^^Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.

I've drowned before and watched from above as my body was being carried out of the water. I was able to accurately describe who carried me out, how far into the water they went etc. While there was no fear and after I got over the awe of how beautiful the park was from up where I was, it turned into frustration of wanting to be on the ground with my friends. This led to a facination of the afterlife for me.

I've pondered reincarnation and thought from a scientific viewpoint that it could be possible that we inherit a genetic memory from our ancestors, similar to how animals know without being taught.

For example, if a person had an ancestor who worked in a castle during the medieval times and inherited that dna along with the memories, it would explain why one would have flashbacks to that time.

I believe there is something to reincarnation because in conversations with young children they have described to me knowlege and experiences that are too accurate to be imagination.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >