Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cargy.
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Why are benefits staff always so arrogant.?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Thats harsh i have a bad back

Funnily enough, I have a bad back too... Mainly getting it off the mattress in the morning.
 Cargy.
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Why are benefits staff always so arrogant.?
Posted: 8/12/2009 5:27:19 PM

Funnily enough, I have a bad back too... Mainly getting it off the mattress in the morning.

Same here. Literally, i wake up and have to lay still for about 2 minutes for my back to "un-seize" and then i get up. I have a migraine most days, suffer with extremely bad headaches.. i take a migraine pill and get on with it. I have also lived with crippling depression for 8 years, i took a few weeks off and HAD to get back to work, i take my nut nut pills and have to get on with it.

Nothing like my problem then. Mine gets stuck to it for reasons explained by the poster before you!
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 1:40:48 AM
Message 4, you missed I cannot work because I'm too depressed.

I think that benefits staff usually get treated badly by some people that think that it is their God given right to claim benefits, and see it as a wage, rather than help to get them back on their feet and in work. I can't imagine there being much job satisfaction in working in the Benefits department?

Slightly off topic, there was a 28 year old man doing a Methadone/ Crack/cocaine detox where I work last month. I asked him what sort of work/career he was interested in, once he became drug free?

He just laughed at me, and stated that he probably earned more money than me, with his sickness benefits, DLA, Housing Benefits, and he had no intention of ever getting a job. People who work for DWP, usually have to deal with this sort of attitude every day.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 2:12:15 AM
Because the majority of the people they have to deal with are tits.. And that's from personal experience, I was a DSS Lackey back in the late 80's early 90's and I can tell you the staff could learn a fair bit about arrogance from the claimants!!!

One guy taking a shyte on the counter, one woman leaving her six kids because we wouldn't give her yet another crisis loan... One bloke sending us a postcard from Egypt.. A guy sitting in the waiting room opening up his latest Sony Walkman, whilst claiming he was without food, electricity and gas... Being spat at, sworn at, vomited on, threatened, called a cuunt, a slag, a tramp.. I could go on... But you constantly get treated with disdain, you lose any empathy for anyone pretty quickly and just go into robot mode...

It's safer that way...
 CK1708
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 3:23:11 AM

I've had to sign on in the past and I've often wondered why the workers there have such a nasty attitude to people not in work.?

They are emotionally cold and unreceptive, you can't really get to know them and if any other public service that you have paid for via your own taxes offered such rude service you would complain rightaway.!

Your right, a couple of us have seen this in the past, most of them don't seen to be that happy, their always talk down to you.

If your late for appointant, you will have to make another appointant, but their think its ok to make you late because their always talking to another staff member.

And to the people who are moaning, oh well just let hope you never have to go in there yourself as you have never been there
 badge73
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 6:57:37 AM
ive had quite a few dealings with the job centre staff, some good and some bad. i put it down to training or lack off which causes some of the conflicts. before i was signed off i regular spoke to the disability officer who was brilliant and if i had any problems all i had to do is ring her.

ive stated before on other threads there are a fair few jobsworth civil servants who arnt interested in your problem or even solving it. most of the decent staff know the jobsworths and it really gets there goat as they get tarred with the same brush. due to the red tape and employment law etc its impossible to get rid or filter them out the system.

a couple of years ago i volentered to join a government scheme to get the disabled back to work and had loads of interviews regarding what my disablity is (main one is fractured spine) and what type of work im looking for. i had a phone call a few weeks later saying they found a job, i rushed down the job centre excited only to read the card which said - delivering kitchen units, driving and unloading them by hand to various sites! the air turned blue with swearing, how the feck im a ment to do this when i cannot drive due to strong painkillers never mind pick up kitchen units!! the bloke just sat there, mouth open wondering whats wrong! the scheme was thrown out and far as i know the disablity officer went ballistic as well.
 Soul Union
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/3/2013 2:34:11 PM
They are emotionally cold and unreceptive, you can't really get to know them and if any other public service that you have paid for via your own taxes offered such rude service you would complain rightaway.!

So how do they get away with being so nasty? if anyone has worked in this dept, are you trained in discourtesy as part of the on job training? -- chili68

It isn't just the benefits agency and similar government offices, you will find discourtesy and ignorance everywhere today, especially today, now that everyone has his 'human rights' to fall back on. (We never had human rights when I was a child, and yet we seemed to be so much happier.)

Here is an example of ignorance and bare-faced discourtesy.

Here in Queenstown, New Zealand, where I live, where everything is in yer face, where skateboarders and cyclists whizz past pedestrians only an inch away, where no one seems to indicate when they turn left or right, and where smashed beer bottles are frequently seen glittering all over the roads because of the copious booze-ups here, I went into a cafe to enjoy a cup of coffee one day. I like my coffee hot. So, as the young woman was taking my money, I asked if she could make it extra hot for me. She didn't reply. Not a word. She merely nodded her head and turned away. I then made for a nearby table. Another woman, older, behind the counter, turned to her and enquired: "What did he say?" The younger woman replied that I just wanted my coffee extra hot. I was just sitting down when I heard: "Just ignore him."

I have very good hearing, and I heard every word that was said. Not being a confrontational person, at least not deliberately seeking out confrontational situations, I bided my time and decided this would be my first and last visit. My coffee arrived in a few minutes. It was luke warm. I drank it and left. I was underwhelmed by the 'service.'

Three months later, the coffee shop - which opened with such fuss and fanfare about how great they were - closed down. (The customers will tell you how great you are.) The site is now just a big yawning hole in the wall, even after all this time.

If the cafe had been mine, I would have busted my ass to ensure that whatever the customer asks for is what he gets. If he wants fresh cream on his coffee and I don't have it, I go out there and find it for him. I don't disappoint him. If he wants his toast done lightly with the crusts dipped in goat's milk, he gets precisely that, and he gets it - as does every other customer who walks in my door - with a genuine smile and authentic service. Anything else is shit, and I don't deal in shit. My customers are handing over their hard-earned money in my cafe, so why would I treat them like shit? Will it benefit me or my staff? I don't think so. It certainly won't benefit my customers.

As for ignorance and non-customer service, you ain't seen nuthin', as the man said, until you come here to New Zealand. As a Scot who has been here for 22 years, someone who keeps his eyes and ears open, who takes note of things, New Zealand has to be the worst corner of the world when it comes to customer service. We read repeatedly in the readers' letters in the national newspapers just how bad customer service is . . . but, sure as apples, nothing is done about it. They seem to equate service here with being 'servile.'

The buzzwords and PC phrases we see today in the employment section of the newspapers, like "excellent customer service," are totally meaningless. If the customer isn't happy, if the customer doesn't enjoy his experience in my place, for whatever reason, then it concerns me greatly. But that's just my opinion, or IMO, as we say today.

Never mind. I guess they know what they're doing.

Best wishes to all.

- Peter
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2013 1:12:53 PM
just from memory I thought it was no posts with an axe to grind?? no?
 PlymouthOldFart
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:45:20 AM
I have had to sign on a couple of times at the Plymouth Jobcentre and have found the staff to be friendly & helpful with a sense of humour too.
 Lorri55
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2013 11:01:02 AM
I work for a Local Authority up here and spend a lot of time carrying out telephone interviews with Housing Benefit claimants (both new claims and changes of circumstances)
These interviews are pre-arranged for a time that suits the customer, however I have had to deal with claimants who are , for example, on a bus, in the supermarket queue, still in bed and on one memorable occasion they were on the loo!! and there I was thinking they were pouring a glass of water ............
Respect cuts both ways?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:30:48 PM
Bunnyman

While I don't condone the guys attitude towards you, you obviously only see one side of the story.

It may be that if you were only there to sign on, the person you spoke to did not have the knowledge to advise you, therefore directed you elsewhere. It may have been that each person is only allocated a very short period of time to go through the 'signing on' process and that it was not the appropriate place to ask. While the website information may have said to ask at the Office, it maybe wasn't clear as to who you should ask. Obviously, the reason you were not given information at that time and place should have been explained to you.

As for his lunch being more important - Benefits staff are given set times to have lunch. They do not get to add on an extra 15 minutes if they are late because someone else will be due to take their lunch and cannot leave until the first is back. Staff are there to do there job, during the time they are there to work - not to use their personal UNPAID lunchtime.

There is no excuse for rudeness but there are always two sides of a story.

I assume you did go on to ask the question and got a satisfactory answer at your training course.

Oh and just to clarify, I do not work for the Benefits Office so that is not the reason I have made my comments.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:32:30 PM
Lorri

I'm up here as well. I had to claim job seekers on the 19th Nov.

I still await housing benefit. I got my mp involved and have been awarded one month. I have already borrowed a thousand pounds for December and January. I fvckin hate the useless staff at chesser and I hope they all lose their jobs.

They are inept and can help no one. If you are at Chesser watch out the morn as I am going to kick up he'll with the useless dafties the morns morning. Public service workers.. tsk
Time for a kull
 Lorri55
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 1:34:13 PM
Vlad

Cheers for that.....some of us do try to do our best .

You shouldn't be put in the position of having to borrow money to pay your rent. If your landlord is at all decent he should
 Lorri55
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 1:36:02 PM
understand that it may take a few weeks for your claim to be finalised....usually because we are waiting for the DWP to confirm what benefits a claimant is receiving.

I am sorry you have had such an awful experience but hey, we aren't all bad

Lorraine
 phonixmusic
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 5:29:53 PM
WOW!!!!! Can this thread bear the weight of so many stereotypes...................?
 andy1961
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:16:57 PM
Vlad

Cheers for that.....some of us do try to do our best .

You shouldn't be put in the position of having to borrow money to pay your rent. If your landlord is at all decent he should understand that it may take a few weeks for your claim to be finalised....usually because we are waiting for the DWP to confirm what benefits a claimant is receiving.

I am sorry you have had such an awful experience but hey, we aren't all bad.

Yep, the DWP - what a useless shower of inefficient MORONS they are! And THEY are the root of most of the problems within the system.

My youngest daughter is 23 years of age and has been unemployed for two years after being made redundant from a job she held from age 17 after leaving school. Lets get one thing straight here - she wants to work! She is not a "scrounger". But she's either under-qualified or over-qualified at job interviews, hence no success - but that's another story!

However, her ongoing battle with the Department of Work and Pensions...that's a job in itself!
She has been renting a one-bedroom flat from a private landlord for five years now. For three years she never missed a month's rent.

But then she lost her job through redundancy. It took the DWP nearly FOUR weeks to "process" her Job Seekers Allowance, because they "weren't satisfied" with the letter from her ex-employer confirming her redundancy.
Indeed, it became quite obvious that they seemed to be under the impression that she'd "walked out" of her job and therefore "wasn't due money for 8 weeks". My daughter had to explain to them in writing THREE times, speak to them on the phone several times, and finally face to face - with the redundancy letter in her hand - through an employee at the Jobcentre, before she finally got the Jobseekers allowance she was entitled to! That took FOUR weeks!

Her Housing Benefit towards helping her with her rent? Well pardon my language here - that took SIX f*cking MONTHS to "process"!

SIX MONTHS!

There are many private AND social housing landlords here in the Greater Glasgow area who will NOT wait a matter of months for rent to be paid.

And who was to blame for the long delay for the staggering SIX month delay? Once again, the DWP!

Glasgow City Council, who pay people's housing benefit here, were brilliant! They couldn't have been more helpful. But, when they went to the DWP for the information required, there was always "more questions needing answered" from my daughter, according to the DWP. Eventually she got her Housing Benefit sorted.

But in the last year there's been a new "problem" with the DWP! On THREE seperate occasions within the last 12 months she's had a letter from them asking her to fill in an MR12 form so that they can help her pay the Interest on her mortgage.

It's frankly amazing that, considering she's never had a mortgage and doesn't currently have a mortgage! And she told them that right from the start!
But no, they insist on sending her this form. She filled in the first two forms telling them she doesn't have a mortgage and explained her situation that they should already know about.
The third form she did not fill in due to sheer frustration (I don't blame her!). Big mistake - as she was soon to find out! A few days later she discovered that her Job Seekers Allowance had not gone into her bank account.
She phoned them to find out what the problem was. The MORON at the other end of the line couldn't give her the reason, but informed her that there was a letter on it's way to explain the reason.

That brown envelope from the DWP arrived five days later via Belfast (Information from the Glasgow headquarters sent via Belfast! What the f*ck is that about?!).

The letter informed her that her payments had been stopped - but it didn't give her a specific reason, but gave her a number of different options/reasons to why it would have been stopped, and that she should phone the DWP head office in Glasgow to find out. Funny that, 'cause she'd already phoned them in the first f*cking place!

On top of everything else of course she got a letter from the Council telling her that her housing benefit had been suspended until her problem with the DWP was resolved.

Well, when she phoned the DWP to find out why all payments had been stopped, they told her it was because they hadn't heard back from her about her mortgage details!

So! It took FIVE weeks for her to convince these MORONS at the DWP, for the THIRD time (!), that she didn't have a mortgage!
Finally it all seemed to get through to their THICK heads and they started her payments again. And thankfully the Council started helping her again with her rent.

My apologies for the long rant, but the stress of all this has affected the health of my once vibrant, optimistic daughter's health.
And she's one of the lucky ones, because I've been there to help her financially through the payment delays and suspensions caused by the total inefficiency of the DWP.
It's upset her that I've had to help her because she wants to stand on her own two feet, but she'd have been in deep shit, including eviction, if I wasn't there for her.

I dread to to think of what happens to the many thousands of genuine people in this country of all ages, who are on various and different types of benefits, who get no help at all from anyone, when the MORONS who run the system CAN'T and WON'T do their jobs properly!

PS; Vlad, I really hope things work out for you, bud.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:13:15 AM
cheers lorri

see its a complex situation. i live in an old prefab. temorary accomadation for 10 years
after the war.
due to personal and work problems i fell behind with the mortgage and council tax.
now you cannot get a mortgage for a prefab as its made of metal (£50 a week on gas alone in this weather)
so as the mortgage lender (edinburgh district council) was going to repossess the place i got a cash buyer.

the house is falling to bits as its so old. the geezer who bought it let me rent it back for 6 months
which i paid upfront. as its the winter he agreed to let me still stay here so i dont have to go into
homeless accomadation with the dafties, the junkies and those just released from jail. at 55 i feel
i am also too old to be told i have to be in by 11 at night or i would get thrown out (edinburgh council rule i think)

trying to explain too the staff at chesser after having spent 5/6 mins going through an automated system is nye
impossible. my mp was on board when i had to sell the house so he knows the situation. surely its not beyond
the realms of fantasy that someone at chesser could contact the councils lawyers and get copies of the letters regarding the repossession?
when i signed on in november NO ONE in the dwp or council told me about forms or that i only had one month to reply to them.
chesser say they sent a form on the 7th dec. it must be in the boozer because it never came here. i was sent another form which arrived the 8th january. yep one day over the one month i had to reply to keep the claim over.

there are lots of sites (i now know) which help you with these forms. shelter and the edinburgh anti poverty being 2.

do folks on here know that you can apply for interim payments after 14 days regarding housing benefit? it has toi be paid under the law. no one at all from the dwp or chesser mentioned that wee snippet.
the geezer who bought the place also had drawings included to knock the prefab down and build two three bedroom houses. he and his dad have a building firm. they want to go ahead with the project so they can keep their guys in work. and im supposed to tell him to wait until chesser sorts all out?
can you tell me why it takes up to 5 weeks to process a form? they will build the 2 hooses in that time and i will still be homeless.

maybe if more common sense and actually looking at what folk are saying rather than reading the ready made script would help. i dont like losing my temper with the staff. its only a job to them. but its public SERVICE no public HINDERANCE. i have no problem with the council recovering debts. its only fair that all pay. but surely some common sense could be applied to take folks situations at THAT MOMENT into consideration? and talking down to folk like they are imbecilies because they cant fill in a 32 page form does not help either. i dont fill forms in for a living i decorate houses.

if they dont want to help then leave the job. and sorry folks just a wee edinburgh council thing here. have you ever been threatened by sheriffs officers (debt collectors) by your council over a couple of hundred £'s?
are they understanding when you explain your current situation?

i had to sell my place to pay mortgage and council tax arrears back to EDC.
how heartning to read this today about our esteemed council. glad to see that a lithuanian multi millionaire has tugged at the councils heart strings. no court appearance for him. no scott and co threatning letters. in fact the council wouldnt supply the FOI request at first and denied the geezers request.
our city rivals on the football field hearts seem to be exempt from sheriffs officers. how many householders and small businesses have been taken to court and punished over paltry ammounts?

Thumbs Down Hearts And Their £54,657 Council Arrears
As per the Freedom Of Information request received, here's what they're due to our very patient and understanding Edinburgh council........
Business Rates overdue ------ £ 36,588
Rent overdue --------------- £ 18,069
As I understand it Hibs are up to date with the council.
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?255512-Hearts-And-Their-%A354-657-Council-Arrears

Glasgow and Edinburgh Councils are the worst in the UK for debt enforcement
The report shows that Edinburgh Council referred 287,315 cases in the last three years, Glasgow Council referred 281,718. This is compared to Birmingham, a city with double the population of Glasgow which passed 223,810 cases for debt enforcement in a similar period.
Of the worst offending councils in the top twenty, Renfrewshire, North Ayrshire and North Lanarkshire are featured.
Edinburgh Councillor Phil Wheeler was quoted as saying “It is only fair for the majority of citizens who do pay their council tax and other council charges that we take appropriate steps to recover the outstanding sums.” a statement that has been condemned by Trust Deed Scotland, the leading introducer of Trust Deeds in Scotland.
http://www.mosley2010.com/archives/667

seems all animals are equal but some are more equal than others
 vlad dracul
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:16:53 AM
remember UNDER LAW you are entitled to interm payments on housing benefit

WAITED AGES TO GET HOUSING BENEFIT?

Don't put up with it. If your claim hasn't been sorted out two weeks after you have given all the information needed, then the Council are legally obliged to make you regular interim payments of Housing Benefit.
This applies to private tenants and housing association tenants.
For Council tenants, where the Council are paying the Housing Benefit direct to their own Housing Department, the Council are legally obliged to pay Housing Benefit within 14 days, or if that is not reasonably practicable, as soon as possible after that.
An interim payment is a temporary payment of Housing Benefit which is paid regularly, like normal Housing Benefit, until they work out your claim. The law says the council must pay you an amount which it considers reasonable. (An interim payment is sometimes also called a “payment on account”.)

WHAT TO DO?
How do you get an interim payment?
Make sure that you have given the Council all the info necessary for them to sort out your claim. It may help to speed things up if you submit a letter requesting an interim payment with your original housing benefit claim form. But if you have not done that don't worry.
Check that 2 weeks have passed since you gave the Council all the info they needed.
Ring them up, and tell them that by law they have to either sort out your claim immediately, or make you an interim payment immediately. The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006, in particular Regulation 93(1), says they must do this.
Interim payments are NOT discretionary. According to the law they must be paid if the circumstances described in 1) and 2) apply.

http://edinburghagainstpoverty.org.uk/node/4

vvvvv

yep

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/help_with_money/rent_arrears/rent_arrears_due_to_housing_benefit_claim
 Soul Union
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/27/2013 12:07:25 PM
Let me put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Benefit staff are not told what their position is, and therefore assume that their job role is different from what it truly is.They are trustees there to SERVE the beneficiaries
There is a clue in the name. BENEFITS are given to Beneficiaries. The benefits they are given come from Grantors, Trustees do not "own" the money although they act as if they do, they are entrusted with the job of benefiting the Beneficiaries .
If they talk down to you, remind them of their role. It's Trust law. You don't need to grovel and beg for your benefit if you are a beneficiary. They have a duty of care. .......They just don't want you to know it, hence the media making out every beneficiary is a low life sponger. --- greattomeetya

I knew a man back in Glasgow in the Eighties, a 'character,' if there ever was one. He was on the dole for years. He and his wife were 'huge' people, I mean really obese. Whenever they went out, people would say: "Uh, here come Large and Large."

They weren't criminals, they didn't break into people's houses, they didn't cheat and steal. They were simply on the dole. Nobody would hire Eddie. He was about 20 stones, and he kinda 'waddled' along at a snail's pace.

Anyway, Eddie knew a few people, and one of those people was a Department of Health and Social Security officer in Glasgow. It used to be called the DHSS before everything crashed and turned to shit, splintering into a million factions so complicated you need a counsellor to make a phone call to these people.

Anyway, the officer told Eddie about how there are "billions" of pounds of benefits unclaimed, and that they go out of their way to ensure that claimants don't get to hear about them. This may have changed since I was there. Billions of pounds we're talking about.

A major documentary was made back in the Sixties or Seventies. What happened was, a British MP, a woman, posed as being destitute. The authorities gave her a name, a social security number, a tax base history - the whole nine yards. There was no trace of her life as an MP. Anyway, she turned up at the DHSS office in a Glasgow surburb with her bank book and other ID to prove that she had nothing and was desperate. She had run away from her abusive husband in Manchester. She was in 'hiding' and desperately needed help - a house, some financial aid, perhaps counselling. She had no job. She had no relatives she could depend on. A hidden camera followed her around . . .

You wouldn't believe how difficult the DHSS staff made her life. This was a sincere, genuine, authentic case, a woman down on her luck through no fault of her own (albeit a 'fictionalised' character, documented in every way), and the coldness, the almost what-do-you-expect-from-us attitude she received, the runaround, it was so disheartening. I wanted to reach out myself and take her into my family home. It was so real.

The documentary scandalised the DHSS system and those who operate in that system.

The MP - ah, forget the 'MP' - the woman spoke later about her ordeal, saying it was the hardest, most humiliating, roughest situation she had ever been in. And this is a woman we are talking about, not a man.

Was anything done since those years? Was anything actually done? I don't don't know, but from what I am reading here I don't think so. It's the same old mentality, the Them-and-Us game, with a big fence between us all.

We are barbaric at times in this world of ours. We just haven't a clue when, really, we are all rowing the same boat.

Best wishes to all.

- Peter
 doctordeelite
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2013 12:42:59 AM
Easy to say when we have 50 people chasing every job. Someone's fallen for this government's habitual 'divide and rule' policy hook, line and sinker
 phonixmusic
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2013 5:46:53 PM
benefit staff are probably using the same survival instincts as me.

Which survival instinct is that? The one that says 'The more people we help to get back to work, the fewer Job Centre staff are required."?
 phonixmusic
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2013 5:52:45 PM
its cos they have to deal with lazy sods who blatantly flout our great benefits system, theyve become hateful from deling with people who dont want find work but sit at home takin drugs and watching jeremy kyle and loose women

When will you stop allowing the media to dictate to you what you should think?
Grow a few braincells of your own please.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >