Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cncgandolf
Msg: 26
view profile
History
The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
"you felt you needed to accept people....that would make you superior wouldn't it?"

Nope .... realizing one must live in acceptance is actually an act of humility and powerlessness and not being superior. Thinking you have the power to not accept people is acting as if you are superior. People are who they are.
 Vannili
Msg: 27
view profile
History
The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.
Posted: 8/13/2009 1:12:48 PM

I just wonder... what is the most important virtue for people over 60 ..for men and women? Wisdom? Tolerance? Humor? Something else?

Most over sixty are cranky.....
 Molly Maude
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 1:30:52 PM
my first thot was "KINDNESS" ...

then I read what Tarnished Knight wrote about "VIRTUE" ... and I suspect that a virtuous person would ALSO be a kind person ... so am re-thinking!

I once envisioned a bumper sticker: "mean people erode the foundations of world peace" ... it's too long and no one has bumper stickers any more anyway ...

so maybe ... "mean people suck!" ... shorter ... more suscinct ... and true!

it's a toss-up ... I think "VIRTUOUS" wins! (for me, that is!) "VIRTUOUS" just covers sooo many bases!
 OldFolkie
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 1:33:33 PM
^^^^ Vannili, I'm pretty sure "cranky" doesn't count as a virtue.

the SoldierByte
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/13/2009 1:49:21 PM

The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.???

Nothing.. not honesty, sympathy, etc., NOTHING..
without........
charecter,,, CHARecter.....CHARECTER..charecter,,, CHARecter.....CHARECTER..
charecter,,, CHARecter.....CHARECTERcharecter,,, CHARecter.....CHARECTER..
..charecter,,, CHARecter.....CHARECTER..
everything and anything else is ONLY window dressing...
---SoldierByte---
 Dceeeee
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/13/2009 1:51:47 PM
tresor cache said....
I think the most important virtue for anyone over 60 is .........breathing. Yep, definitely...don't leave home without it. What? Breathing isn't a virtue? Just try getting along without it.

Of course when people can't breathe they do a lot of praying and that's virtuous too.

Bingo!!!! Ding, ding, ding! I think we have a winner! True, breathing isn't a virtue...but it leads there, like you said!

DC
 lipotufu
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/13/2009 4:32:50 PM
phoebe ..... you open absolutely wonderful channels. if the taoists are right words are just words, they aren't the experience. breathing, humor and sex are extremely important virtues or sins or what-evers. if, in my relationships, we breathe, we laugh and we make love there's very little that ought to distract us from those things. maybe a thai meal. all the rest is noise, albeit beautiful noise. would i rather work or write a poem or buy a new shirt than laugh or make love. no! thanks, lovely woman. you are a treasure.....
 SueCat51
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 4:56:41 PM
Can't speak for over 60 since I'm not there. HOWEVER, at any age, I think honesty is one of the sexiest things a person could be. Sense of humor comes in at a close second. Respect comes in at third, and tolerance finishes up the race.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/13/2009 5:15:44 PM
I am not *not* Not NOT cranky!! Heh! So there.

Vannili
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 5:45:54 PM

Vannili,I am pretty sure "cranky" doesn't count as a virtue.

oldfolkie, that 's correct! and thanks for reminding me, that crankiness is not a virtue, that is under " Something else" on the thread of the OP... If that is again an oopsy, what can I say ? My mind is not on the forum but POF datings. LMAO....

Highfive!!!oldfolkie
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/13/2009 5:49:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I posted this virtue in another thread a year or so back - my actual pick (before humour) is "integrity". It you have it - nothing else matters. If you don't have it - nothing else matters.
 lipotufu
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/13/2009 6:26:51 PM
twist sist ..... integrity. is there nothing that you see more important than integrity? and how do you define integrity? some of us want to be safe first, homesteaders of the heart. i understand that. but the world we live in isn't safe because we haven't understood the complications of stuff like religion, nationality, financial security & politics. integrity has weight, to be sure. is weight what we need, each of us individually. if i meet you and we spend time together i will know you and respond as i will. if you don't have integrity i'll tell you directly, and i'll want to know your weaknesses & vulnerabilities. i may love you because of them. concrete is breathless & lifeless.
 jbogie
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/13/2009 6:50:11 PM
I just wonder...what is the most important virtue for people over 60...for men and women?Responsibility?Wisdom?Tolerance?Humor?Something else?

regular bowel movements.
 Vannili
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 8:27:35 PM
Msg1:,,,,,,,The most important virtues over 60 is forgiving ,loving,patience,kindness ,sharing their experiences,to the young people who are starting the trek of trial and error of this journey in life.. We've been there,so let's not be judgemental to young people's error but understand them and support them by sharing our wisdom... Vannili
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 1:46:01 AM
seein' as how the dictionary states virtue comes from "manliness" and that virtue applied in a feminine sense brings forth "chastity"-- i'd say, that by age 60, being w/o any virtue (aka virtueless) would be a damn good thing under today's circumstances!

now, if were to redefine virtue my way, then alternatively i'd say: by age 60, the achievement of perspective would be the most virtuous. this would, of course, be done with humor and by tapping into the wisdom one has accrued to date. however, i'm still kind of dumbstruck at the chastity part. miriam webster, who woulda thought?
 red_relaxed
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/14/2009 2:12:49 AM
Amen sister Vannili!

I'm not blessed with virtue. However I'm honest.

“The three hardest tasks in the world are neither physical feats nor intellectual achievements, but moral acts: to return love for hate, to include the excluded, and to say, "I was wrong".”
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/14/2009 3:21:13 AM
^^^what about a born-again virgin?
 flowerforce
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/14/2009 11:20:16 AM
I would say compassion. However I will also say" If your compassion does not include yourself it is incomplete" from Buddha's little handbook.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/14/2009 11:42:50 AM
For me, it is simply love. In love comes every other single virtue of any importance. It includes kindness, compassion, honesty, understanding, respect, goodness, sweetness and light. Without it, not one thing else matters -- not status, money, fame, courage, accomplishments. . . .

That's all.
 aaamm
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/14/2009 12:06:53 PM
I agree with Me Leona, chivalry is important at any age. I don't see any virtue being THE most important. It takes many qualities to be a good person.

I think some people poison themselves with their own negativity. Perhaps what should be avoided most is negativity and untruths? They say the truth will set you free, non?
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 2:45:45 PM
now now friendly spirit, don't forget to invite me to your "christening"! just do NOT wear white.
 Creative Tendencies
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/14/2009 8:52:07 PM
Responsibility and wisdom. If we haven't figured that out by now then we haven't really learned anything along the way.
 The Magician
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/15/2009 11:09:51 AM
Well, I'm not quite in my 60's yet, but to me, the most important virtue at any age is compassion.

That word has a very broad meaning, and includes things such as understanding the people around you, and reacting in a way that does not demean them. It also includes doing things you really have no interest in, just because your actions make the other feel good about themselves. It includes being a friend when your friend is in the dumps, accepting that the other person has value, and most of all, total acceptance of whatever (within the realm of being legal and ethical) the other human being beside you has for faults. Heck yes, we all have faults, that make being friends/lovers sometimes difficult. Compassion is so important in dealing with your everyday sanity, and that of the ones around you.
 amethyst10616
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2009 12:08:04 PM
I agree with Wooby and Tresor Cache, love is the most important virtue, for yourself and for others.
 Geezer-glide
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/16/2009 4:32:47 PM
...and with love, comes two that are important to me...tolerance, compassion.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.