Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 47
The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
H-O-N-E-S-T-Y!
 rustytraveler
Msg: 48
view profile
History
The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:01:01 AM
Oldfolkie said it best:
It is a tough question! I think that I would have to say "humor". If you can laugh at your quirks and foibles, and smile at those of your partner, then life is much better. Humor includes the concept of tolerance, acceptance and even wisdom, at least to me.
A smile can go a very long ways in smoothing the rough patches inevitable in any relationship.

If you've got this.... it means all the other bases have been covered .
But it always amazes me how little of it there is around and how full of themselves a lot of folks are, some really don't live and learn .
 wacowboy3
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:08:48 AM
I have no idea. You would think that honest , faithfulness, fun , the ability to not want to change someone would all be virtues ladies of 60 would be looking for . I see many who list the above and more. Are ladies in there late 50's and up resigned to living alone? Steve
 Vannili
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:41:57 AM

I just wonder.... what is the most important virtue for pople over 60... for men and women? Responsibility?Wisdom,Tolerance? Humor Something else?
I think ...at my age the most important virtue is kindness... for men and women.

I already have these virtues at the age of 24 ,kindness, tolerance,responsibility,wisdom, humor ....Now that I am 3 years shy away to be 60 the most important virtue for me is SMILING ... Smiling through my arthiritist,cholesterol,high blood pressure........
 Rythmn
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:59:27 AM
where's passion? hadn't thought of that the last time i posted here. passion for living life, others, good deeds, achieving one's goals with a zest--or as an energy to recoup or ride out of the downslope of a wave. then, of course, there is the more personal kind of passion. it is all a form of energy. i think all energy of this sort would be positive. i wonder what the opposite of passion would conjure up. i doubt it would have any virtue in it. as to applying to our age group, it would be the ablity to "sustain" passion and not give up.
 JKEYS
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 2:47:32 PM
SUCH A 'HEAVY' QUESTION. i WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT COMMUNICATIONS , UNDERSTANDING , AND RESPECT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME.
i WISH WE WOULD RECEIVE SOPHISTICATED QUESTIONS, LIKE THIS, MORE OFTEN.
 kari135
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 8:07:47 PM
"""I'm not sure that virtues for 'over sixty' people should be any different than virtues for anyone of any age. To see and understand from the broadest perspective possible is the greatest strength anyone can have. When one has this ability, so much else follows. Such people, with this capacity, are people I greatly admire. (They are often people we call 'old souls.')"""

I think the biggest difference is that by the time one gets to or passes 60, they should have enough self-knowledge to have come to terms with who they are and be happy with what they are. If they haven't done that, or changed who they are to someone they can like, no virtue is going to matter.
 kari135
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 8:21:54 PM
"""Sounds like a nice idea, but what I am seeing, in reality, is that as people age they are not more liketly to grow wiser or have more self knowledge or come to terms with who they are. People pretty much stay the same .... there are as many people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's who are wise, self aware, and accepting as there are people over 50 or 60 who are."""

One can only hope. I was thinking of the people I personally know. And in particular, one who swore it wasn't his fault he was the way he was, it was all his parents' fault for the way they raised him. I doubt if that one ever grew up. I also knew his cousin, which was how I'd met him, and the cousin was, while not necessarily a nice man, one who at least took responsibility for what he did himself. He was what he was, and he knew it was no one's fault but his own.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/14/2009 7:51:58 AM
Breathing? Controlling bodily functions? A pulse is nice too... If we're going all out ability to have sex???
Just kidding... Don't mind me...
 ankkka
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/14/2009 7:09:39 PM
Someone may have clear and strong character...but bad character such as Stalin or Hitler...
 kari135
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 7:27:15 PM

Someone may have clear and strong character...but bad character such as Stalin or Hitler...

That wasn't character, that was charisma. Big difference, imo.
 cotter
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 8:09:36 PM
I noticed that someone said they think having faith in god is a virtue.
Virtue … desirable quality … asset …benefit … goodness … morality … integrity
Virtuous ... moral ... righteous ... honest ... worthy ... honorable
What's so virtuous about that?

A lot of horrible things have been done to others through the years because of religion. Also that insinuates that having faith in that one god would be a virtue but what of those who don't believe in the same god? Are they then incapable of being virtuous?

Anyway ... I can't name any one "most important" virtue that a person over 60 might embrace. I know about myself ... and know what I'd like in a partner, but there are so many wonderful combinations, I really can't choose just one that I'd like to see or find in a prospective partner.
 JustDanceWithYo
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 2:28:33 PM
If the ForumFilly will allow me to add to her comment...

I don't think it is the kind of acceptance where one invites them over for dinner. But, rather accepting everyone for who they are. If someone is violent or rude, then accept the fact that some people are that way, and stay away away from them.

When I was younger, I felt it was necessary that I understand things, and if something was awry (like violent or rude people), I felt the need to fix the problem or at least make it better. These days, I accept rude people (and bad drivers) for what they are and don't give them another thought. Failure to do so would allow their bad mood to contaminate my good mood. Acceptance!
 spunkybum52
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/10/2009 1:01:10 AM
I do think there are a lot of virtues that are important, but I feel for me at least, the one thing that is very important is my "confidence of who I am".... or should I say, who I have become. I may not be young anymore, don't have the same figure, maybe a few wrinkles, maybe a few hairs going grey (although I don't have any wrinkles or grey hair yet...true)..... but I feel that if I can love myself and accept who I am, and grow old gracefully and still be confident and not be insecure .... then that makes me peacful. And along with my confidence, I must also have my integrity.... very important.
 Wyenot01
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/10/2009 7:23:04 PM
Gary Potter, I think I love you!

What you said!

(Not quite 60 yet, but understand and have read Oscar Wilde.)
 MondoVman
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2009 8:04:26 PM
Most important virtue to me? It's certainly not religious intolerance.

Why? Because religious intolerance is not a commendable quality or trait, i.e. not a virtue.

Laughable how one without virtue makes a pretense of posting anything on the importance of any?

*shakes head, expells gas, blows nose, and belches simultaneously
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/11/2009 7:43:46 PM
Don't know if it's a virtue or not, but the single most useful trait for me since I turned 60, is the ability to laugh. At myself first of all. At others, not so much. *With* others, always. Also much treasured in a mate. I 'spect it's going to be even more important next year. . . .

spunkybum52
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:38:23 PM
Actually, I have to admit that I am not 60 yet... so maybe I will change as another few years pass lol
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2009 6:20:56 PM
"Beautiful young persons are accidents of nature.

But beautiful old persons are works of art..." Elenor Roosevelt
 Strings6
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2009 3:09:46 PM
Medical training
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/18/2009 9:14:05 PM
If I get lucky and hit sixty, maybe I will acquire patience.
That's a virtue that to this day I lack....
(Is it really a virtue, though?)

WalksOnWater2
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/18/2009 10:11:46 PM
It is luck, dear Ismene,
I've seen my contemporaries and some younger, leave early.
I hope I'll live till I don't want to live no more, and that's a loooooong time!

altotermite
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/25/2009 2:14:04 AM
Live and let live.
 *topchef*
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/26/2009 11:48:11 AM
The most important virtue for anyone is "awareness". Being a witness to all that you do in life is transformative. Those who go about in a hazy sleep, relying on conditional thinking and doing are not living life, they are waiting for death.
 will1949
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 12:06:19 PM
I so agree golfgirl. "Situational Awareness" is a term used by pilots in flying. It means basically you should always be aware of where you are and what you are doing. The outcome of the flight (your life) will most likely be better.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.