Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is college really date central?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 winteragain
Msg: 1
Is college really date central?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've been going to the university for the past year now and I know you all have college stories that just blow our minds. Not me, I haven't met a single girl I clicked with on a campus sprawling with a 5:1 female-male ratio among 15,000 students. My major is full of girls and I'm usually 1 of 4 guys in the entire classroom. But I try talking to a girl and I'm already in the red because they're all thinking "Why's there a dude in OUR major?" I guess I should've taken Social Sciences instead. My question is, did you date more guys/girls while in college than before or after college? I feel like I'm missing out on a big part of the college experience, but if there's better days after college then I'm gonna slide on through and go for post-college romances instead.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 2
Is college really date central?
Posted: 8/13/2009 6:35:39 AM
OP.

Meeting girls in classes is not the way to go. It's a very standoffish atmosphere, and a lot of people are either focussed or not in a good mood while in class.

What I suggest you do is join an extracurricular or two, or even look at going Greek.

Honestly, parties are where it's at. Most people are pretty spineless with meeting people - even if they're the ones in the passive role. Alchohol is a great social lubricant.

-8sf8
 Okietokie88
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 8:00:37 AM
I'm in school now and I understand the whole low dates issue, seems like allot of women aren't into the conventional type thing which I can't blame them for. I haven't had too many dates myself but you know I have found the more you care about you class or major and pay little to no attention to dating and ish; the sooner you find someone that might be smitten and taken back by your non abrasive attitude. Granted you must still be a bit flirtty at times but all and all do you and women will come just enjoy this part of your life and look back in glee
 techgirl27
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 4:51:16 PM
I'm going back to school this fall, and my courses are going to be 7 : 1, guys to girls. Ask me that question at Christmas time
 HazelRose
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:25:23 PM
I took college as seriously as I took high school. Until my senior year in college. I was still taking 22 units (my counselor and I fought over ths every year, but I had two double majors, and one minor that I wanted all finished within 4 years, and I did it!), but I met a guy who made me decide to try the whole dating scene. Funny thing,was I never had the courage to date him, just everyone else!
 Bookbelle
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 7:40:07 AM
Yay
Loving all the replies as I'm off to uni later this month... I'm gonna have funnn
 ryszard
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/4/2009 12:15:47 PM
All through college I didn't date a single person or have a girlfriend despite being active in student government and a few student organizations. Though I was pretty shy and introverted back then.
 ryansmsk
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/6/2009 10:42:20 AM
no it's more meet people central i found , i didn't see alot of young people really dating when i was there . more they were meeting people and such . alot were really too busy as well to focus alot of time on dating and all that it involves , they go to the bars alot but not really date alot of the people they meet there i found
 NTHSENSE
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/7/2009 7:29:03 AM
All I know is if you want an active social life in college/university, don't enroll in engineering and don't live too far off-campus. I did both, what a horrible time...lol
 Captain Incognito
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2009 1:39:39 PM
I don't know. I was married when I went to college. My wife and I went together. If it was dating central, I really missed out on it. (I don't think my now ex would have appreciated it)
 grkboy
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/10/2009 1:56:25 PM
If you think you're more "feminine" because of your major, then this will haunt you til you die.

Not saying you should change majors, but change your mindset. Also get away from trying to meet women in class and try to meet them in social settings where the major isn't the big thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is college really date central?