Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MYR_25
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would you do any job rather than be unemployed?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I agree totally. Being unemployed, for me anyway, was one of my worst experiences. Having any kind of job, especially in the current climate, gives you a sense of purpose and direction.
 polly99
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Would you do any job rather than be unemployed?
Posted: 8/15/2009 8:10:44 AM
Absolutely, a job is a job.

I've been out of work for a few months and have just taken on temporary work to keep me going, I am overqualified for the job I'm doing but it's better than staying at home, however I've just received my first paycheck, it's hardly rewarding and fullfilling, I'm working for peanuts, but it's still better than what I got from the government.
 applesn2pie
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/15/2009 12:02:33 PM
I find that some what of a silly question. If one needs the money, One works. If one does not then hold out.
When my boys were little I worked odd jobs in addition to my career job. I would take my paid vacation and then work extra help temp. jobs. I did a one week shift stuffing paper in new purses! another time picking and packing for a factory. Getting stuff ready for shipping. None of those jobs are anything like my career job as an animal control officer. I met new people got an extra paycheck and my kids got some things we could not normally afford.
But if she is going into debt. or Mum is paying while she sits home and whines about jobs being below her. Then she needs a good spanking.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2009 1:56:45 PM
If I had to I would take any job on a temporary basis. Sitting at home all day would drive me round the bend and with no spare cash I wouldn't be able to spend the extra time decorating or revamping the garden. I don't particularly like shopping so 'window' shopping would be out.

At the end of the day you do whatever puts food on your plate and pays the bills while you continue searching for the elusive job that you are after.

In my mind there should be no unqualified jobs sitting vacant when there are so many people out of work although I accept that travel costs/transport times etc do make it very much more difficult for some people.

When I worked in recruitment we had a very well qualified man came looking for a job. We had nothing in his line of work and the only thing we could offer was in a call centre. He turned us down, which was pretty much what we expected as financially he could manage. Less than 2 months later he was back saying he was bored witless and needed a reason to get out of bed and get dressed. When I left the company, he was still happily working in the call centre and said he enjoyed the routine without the pressure that he had with his previous job.
 SCVI
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/16/2009 8:23:20 AM
Your friend's daughter is correct to get a job but the job should be related to her core professional vocational objective. I would also suggest she start a small pet sitting business, taking animals to the vet for client's that work or even dog bathing or anything that get her noticed. Soon she will see that door will open. She could also sign up for a registery that has in home services for seniors. She could transfer her medical knowledge to working with people with a little effort and study.

If she has done this and it was unsuccessful then she should seek employment working in a pet shop, a drug store which sells pet products, or at a local kennel. If she could she could also volunteer at the local animal shelter. Any of these positions would look great on a resume and advance the interest and skill of her core vocational objective.

The only problem with taking a office cleaning job is that it might erode her confidence, motivation, decision making abilities and squash her dream of becoming a vet nurse.

It is a good question and I hope your friend appreciates your concern. Now go out and live in Love, Linda
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2009 8:35:10 AM
spent a good year after leaving uni doing any job that came along, when was chatting with the interviewer for the current job, they liked the fact that spent the time working even if it was non relevent work instead of sitting at home and not doing much :)
 icarusi
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 6:23:03 PM

My question is would you do any job even if you were overqualified to do it rather than be unemployed or would you rather wait for the right job to come along?

Probably, apart from the very icky ones but for a limited time. I was a student and did a summer job as a bin man which wasn't too bad once you'd master some techniques. A mate had a job bagging amputated limbs prior to incineration. Yet another drove hospital ambulance collecting deceased for delivery to the morgue. I wouldn't want to work in slaughtering/meat processing though, anything with much killing blood and guts etc.
 CK1708
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 9:47:23 PM

There are people with an awful lot of time on their hands posting on this forum who are unemployed and say they would rather do voluntary work. If this is the case why are the forums so busy? shouldn't all these moralistic people be out doing such work?

Your spot on with everything you said, but its much easier to say yes now, but if by any chance you losted you jobs, I better your answer would turn to No.

I am a little puzzle why some people think the "unemployed" people, just watch tv all day.

Just to change the subject, I know its half term for the kids, but why when its sunny the town centre is so busy
 Jock1973
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/20/2009 3:14:12 AM
i get bored on my holidays, so any job would do. like to be doing something
 Warrencraig
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 5:08:39 PM
I would and have done anything.

I ended up unemployed for 8 months after leaving navy so did voluntary work until i could get paid work which was as a shopping centre security guard Bit of a come down from earning £55k as an officer in the navy to £14k looser security guard, but in the current climate you cant be picky yet the employers can be as picky as they want.
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2009 4:50:02 AM
This won't be a popular answer, but I'd rather be unemployed than take a menial job for which I'm overqualified. But then again, I'm in a fortunate position and would probably have a different perspective if I had no qualifications and limited resources. I'd rather do volunteer work than earn minimum wage. It gives people job experience, looks good on a CV, provides networking and social opportunities and demonstrates initiative. And it makes you feel useful while you're not doing anything else.
 gsteve2710
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2009 3:09:53 PM
It seems that our economy has gone downhill........i read in the paper yesterday that there are 5000 jobs being created, all of the retail type. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like people are so desperate for a job they are taking a step backwards! As for the original post i personally would do anything instead of being unemployed as it is soul destroying!
 MOOSHAK
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/23/2009 2:27:25 PM
if you think the cleaning job is wanted,if i had no job ,i would make a cleaning service open.('')
 dub08
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/24/2009 3:32:02 AM
Well Im lucky enough to work and I love my job. However a friend of mine was made redundant a few months ago - she is a secretary. She lives with her b/f but has her own house rented out - she could barely pay the mortgage on that when she was working! So recently M&S advertised for jobs for the Xmas period and we suggested to her that she should go and apply as she worked in retail before she became a secretary.. Her response 'Oh I would rather hang on for a clerical job'.

Now if that was me I would have been first in the queue at M&S. No one is hiring clerical staff at the moment and the job would have done her over the Xmas period! Now her b/f has just been made redundant so they are struggling even more now! Some people just amaze me.
 papillionman
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2010 5:49:58 AM
wow- reading all that , its hard too work out why millions are unemployed, hmmm.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >