Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 varinia
Msg: 25
If he didn't like it, would you want him to eat it anyway?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
If you knew, would you expect him to eat it any way?

I have a tendency to put myself in the other person's positions and take their potential feelings into consideration.

So, I would serve up a meal and with a smile point out the Pizza delivery menu that we can use as backup. That way he won't be under so much pressure and knows that it won't be the end of the world for me, if he doesn't like my cooking.

I would really hate finding out that someone felt like they had to pretend to like my food, if they didn't. This makes it easy for him and we can joke about it, if it comes to that.

While I would be disappointed that he may not have liked it, he can so make up for it by letting me know how much he appreciated the effort I may have gone through preparing it. Because in the end I don't normally do it for the food, but because I want to do something nice for someone else. So, if he can acknowledge that, then I'm perfectly happy.
 Vannili
Msg: 29
view profile
History
If he didn't like it, would you want him to eat it anyway?
Posted: 8/18/2009 10:23:10 AM
If I invited a man for a dinner in my house, I would ask him his favorite food/cuisine/food dislikes/allergics/ & likes. Then that is what I am going to cook.
That is just a simple social ethics..

If you knew ,would you expect him to eat any way? Would you be upset and disappointed if he didn't .

No I will never force him to eat, he might be allergic to the food, that will make him sick/ or the taste is not to his liking. I will immediately prepare food to his liking , but I hope he doesn't make a big deal of that inconvenience to his hostess, he can eat salad, bread, dessert,side dish...

His parents force him to eat what ever they prepared when he was growing up, and that was stop when he become 8 years old.
 mcwr
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/18/2009 10:49:22 AM
It seems strange that she wouldn't ask you about what YOU like to eat. In my experience, if a woman wants to impress me, she will ask me about what I like, and then cook it for me.
 forum101
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 11:04:26 AM
If I am cooking for them, you bet I'm going to find out their likes and dislikes, allergies and food restrictions.
I've cooked for diabetics, and vegetarians. When I am dating either, I stock up on their choice of food. Soy burgers, soy chicken, or diet butter, and have actually counted carbs in my dishes cooked for them.
But my old stand by dinner, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits, my baked mac and cheese, and green beans always gets cleaned up. oh, and a pineapple upside down cake. Actually I shouldnt cook it, cause they wind up eating so much, they get sleepy and want to take a nap. Kind of like Thanksgiving. It was my mother's Wednesday night dinner, and my Grandmother's Sunday dinner.

If he didnt like what I have cooked, I have plenty of quick to cook things in the freezer or cabinet, that would still feed him.
 mcwr
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/18/2009 11:31:10 AM
I slowly made my way over to his end of the table while giving him the "look of death."

I'm familiar with that look. I am always prepared to use defensive Jujitsu. LOL.
 Vannili
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 11:39:22 AM
Miss congeniality err,,,, contemplated, I am impressed on your input to the OP's thread,what can I say ???

"I Like Your Style Baby"

Vannili
 jadegreen
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 12:28:07 PM
I am a confident cook and know that not everyone has the same appetites. I wouldn't take it personal if someone didn't like my cooking. I would probably be disappointed, but wouldn't make a big deal over it.

I usually get to know someone really well before I cook for them anyway, so that I know their appetite. I would have already noticed if they like spicy foods, veggie person, meat and potato person etc... So I probably would not have this problem and would have picked a general meal that would suit any appetite.

If the shoe were on the other foot and someone cooked for me...The situation would probably be okay because I'm not that picky and finicky of an eater. I would probably get enough bites down that they would not notice that I did not like it. Then after the meal was over and the next day I would probably hint at doing another dish next time to spare their feelings...I would not have wanted to see them so dissappointed that evening so we could enjoy the rest of the evening...

P.S. I must admit that we all handle things differently and "MISS CONTEMPLATIVE" made a EXCELLENT point about the "swallowing" issue that just can't hardly be argued against....

P.S.S. And every good lady knows that the best recipes are stored for those fellows that offer to mend the fence etc...
 Worbug
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 12:35:07 PM
It's always nice when someone goes out of their way to do something nice for, but I have always enjoyed making the meal together, I feel it is a little more intimant, you learn a little more about the other person. With that being the case, the menu has usually been predetermined.

I was a picky eater growing up, the Marine Corps changed that real quick (LOL) but have since started trying just bout everything at least once. I have never ate anything that I did not care for. If the main dish was not appealing, I would probab;y eat more of the side dishes. If they seem to want to push their "Signature" dish on me, I will try it, If I don't care, I will just say that its just something I don't care for. and not make it sound like it was because of the way they prepared the dish, I will then go on to compliment the other dishes prepared that I did enjoy.

I do have to say that some of the best meals in the past was when we had no preparation and just went into the kitchen and tore into the cabinets and come up with something, experiment together an then eat and decide. It was the whole event together, enjoying each others company, the food was actually secondary. Great time.
 OutMind
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/18/2009 1:09:49 PM
I am a very good cook myself, so even before I got there, I would have to challenge her as to what she would cook and how good it may be. Then you would have to give credit where credit is doe. Let's say she is a horrible cook and she knows it. You tell her. "Good try. I know this is not your specialty so you deserve points for trying."

Now, let's say she is a good cook and the plate is so weird that you do not know whether to like it or hate it. YOU TELL HER. "Wow, I've never had anything like this, it's an acquired taste and I am not quite there."

The part that gets really fishy is what happened to me about a month ago. My then gf and I are at a friends house and his girlfriend made her famous Ribs. In my mind they were absolutely mediocre. So telling them that they were horrible would not achieve anything. So I ate some. And thank them for such awesome effort. End of story.
 Commonsens
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/18/2009 1:52:36 PM
Op your example and choices suggest a complete lack of tact, manners and basic politeness from both parties.

- If I cook for someone, I inquire first about her taste and allergies before selecting what I will prepare.
- If I am invited to someone place, I will eat politely and thank the host for her efforts and attention; no matter what.

If you do not have manners and savoir vivre: : stay in your cave and order some more Mc Donalds,
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/18/2009 2:03:30 PM

Amelia Wrote: Wow, I thought this thread title meant something totally different...

I think a few of us did Amelia. And we were all prepared for some really juicy thread.

On real topic: So whatever happened to Honesty is the Best Policy?
This reminds me of the "Idol" shows. Not that I watch that show...
At the end of an act where the singer really bombs and they reveal that all of their friends and relatives told them they were very good.

There are too many food allergies, foodobias and food quirks for people to get upset about someone not liking something. I cook a lot and I wouldn't mind if someone didn't like what I made. Then again, I would know what they liked before I made them dinner. I would think it would be the same if someone else made me dinner.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/18/2009 4:59:58 PM

Miss_Contemplative Wrote: Well, when I read your question/query, I began fantasizing his face and the apparent disdain washing over it. Then when I realized he had the gall to demonstrate his distaste for my delicacy, I slowly made my way over to his end of the table while giving him the "look of death." If he did not begin to voraciously devour the meal I had put before him and slaved over all day ,I would grab him by the back of the head with a fistful of his hair and slam his face into the plate.

While I was doing this, I would say, "Next time don't expect me to swallow you insensitive jerk off."

Oh my. Talk about foreplay. If that was dinner I can't wait for dessert!
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 5:22:20 PM

Gotta love a topic that gets the old imagination fired up! Thanks OP...or Timothy.

Drifting off thinking of the kitchen scene from "Nine and a half Weeks".....

Op-if a gal is feeding you- especially for the first time- it depends on how much you like her versus how bad the food is. It could set the tone for the whole relationship. Many things are at steak (!) here.

Its also very stategic to have a dog handy as well. That's when they can really be "Man's best friend".
 zangie
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 5:24:33 PM
I'm all for politeness...but, after my divorce, my now ex husband mentioned that something I made all the time he really hated? ( for TEN years)

And, I'm like...OMG...why didn't you tell me? I would have just stopped making it?

I'm fussy about food...I wouldn't expect anyone to eat anything they didn't care for, because I don't like to do that either..but, I would be polite about it, and not insult them...

And I would hope I asked ahead of time what he liked and didn't like...as far as kind of food...

Now, someone who is just a bad cook? I'd cut them way more slack...and eat some, and have a plausible reason for not eating the rest...
 19justice78
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 5:33:54 PM
I don't cook. Problem solved. Why bother when you can get anything you want on any menu ?????????? In your favorite eating joint???????????
 prinsesa_latina
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 6:03:27 PM
Hello Timothy....

First of all, I would not cook dinner for a guy unless I knew what he liked/disliked. Secondly, I can't cook, but can follow a recipe. Shhh...keep that between us. Thirdly, if the food tastes horrible, blame it on the recipe. No, I would not expect him to eat it. I would then order take out.

If a guy went through all the trouble of cooking for me and it was horrible, would I eat it? Probably, I don't like to waste food. I eat anything.
 Vannili
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 6:30:14 PM
Commonsens :You are a high caliber or I should say a pedigree gentleman, I don't mind slaving myself cooking in my hair rollers in the hot oven/ kitchen to have you every week for gourmet/wine dinner in a lace table cloth/silver wares/ stem crystal glasses and in my black spaghetti ,and high heel shoes... True blooded gentlemen are not common now a days...
 Darkimpressions
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 2:45:36 AM
I think I am going to have to go against the popular answer here. I believe that a a guy should tell a woman if they do not like the food. I am a firm beleiver in honesty. I mean what happens the next time she cooks the same thing? Must the guy continue with the lies just in order to not hurt her feeling? There is always a polite way of telling someone that you do not like something. That way the other person knows and they both can learn from it.
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/19/2009 5:07:48 AM
is it because he didn't like the food for what it was (i can't eat squash or calamari) or was it just PREPARED AND COOKED POORLY?

most women who have invited me to dinner have ASKED ME what i like. i like spaghetti and meatballs.

i had THE BEST SPAGHETTI SAUCE in my life at my last home cooked dinner. everything was deliscious.

too bad i couldn't cook up some romance with that woman. she was special and not just in the kitchen.
 Vannili
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 9:28:49 AM

Having eaten stuff like 'Live termites and octopus ,whole Guinea Pig, Rocky Mountain oysters,Snake Gall Bladders in Rice Wine and Donkey Tail in my travels, I am pretty impervious to strange foods and tols I had an iron stomach.
However,the only time I got food poisoning was from Pizza Hut....twice.

Perhaps you are allergic to preservatives,,,,,,,, cheese, italian sausage,peperroni have preservatives or it was not properly cook/ not prepared in a clean way,I am very particular on how the food is prepared because my stomach won't take it....
yeah,tripe soup Phou is so good, but I am going easy on it because of high colesterol.
 big pacific
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 8:05:06 AM

Now this is what i dont understand about meat eaters Juliet, you will eat cow cause its not a 'pet', but not animals that can be kept as 'pets'.

Not having a go at meat eaters here, but if your going to eat animals why are you so choosy over which ones you eat? Look a cow in the face Juliet and tell her that you will force her into a killing room, listen to her screams of fear, watch her sh!t herself in fear as she sees other cows being killed in front of her. Tell her you will slit her stomach open while just mildly sedated for all her guts to fall on the floor, strip her skin off, chop the corpse into bits then cook her and enjoy the taste.

Yet you dont have the guts to do it to a cute little puppy.

This is what i find so shallow about meat eaters. If your gonna eat the stuff then why be so picky about which bits of which type you eat. Im sure you wouldnt know the difference if your burger had testicles or stomach lining, once its put into that shape to fit nicely into a bun and a little seasoning added you aint got a clue what bit is what.

Respect to the guy who eats termites though, i personaly wouldnt but i do respect a meat eater who isnt so disciminative.

Now this is what i just don't understand about vegetarians. How can you eat a radish because it's not an animal, but i'ts still alive. I find it SO shallow of vegetarians to preach to everyone about how immoral their killing is, but to kill a DIFFERENT life form because it doesn't scream when you kill it.

I'm not having a go at vegetairians, but if your going to eat living things, why are you so choosy over the ones you eat? Look at a stalk of celery and tell it that you will grow her, care for her and water her ONLY TO CUT HER DOWN IN HER PRIME. Watch the herd of celery slowly dwindle as you eat their entire family. You'll peel off the skin, and sautee it in some olive oil (don't even mention the genocide of olives to MAKE the oil). ALL because you enjoy the taste.

Yet you don't have the guts to do it to a cow/pig/fish/emu/wtf ever

This is what i find so shallow about vegetarians, if your gonna eat living things why be so picky about which types? Especially when you preach to others about their choices! Why not eat the core of the apple? I'm sure you wouldn't know if your pie had seeds or stems in it once its put into that shape to fit in that nice pie crust with the seasoning you have no clue whats what.

Respect to the guy that eats squash tho, i personally wouldn't do it but i respect a vegetarian who eats those gross things.
 Vannili
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 8:48:08 AM
Italiangreek:
<div class="quote"> I DON'T LIKE KIM CHI

Fine !! KIM CHI don't like you too. ( Joking) .......An OP said" don't talk to Korean girls".......Seriously, you can talk to Korean girls ,but you can't kiss/hug them if you don't like KIMCHEE. Kimchee funky smell permeated to breath,body,love tunnel,clothings,rooms like a cigarrette... Once a very nice Korean girlfriend gave me some stockings ( not wrap) non use and slightly used, beautiful silk bandanas, it has a very strong scent that I have to rid of it, for I can not get use to that Funky scent.............
 big pacific
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 10:42:34 AM

Big pacific, its not that i dont have the guts to do all that, its the fact i choose not to, live with that if you can, end of! My choice is mine, yours is yours, just know the facts before you go in there and try to defend yourself.

I've worked on a farm, I know where my food comes from. I've eaten dog to btw, tasted pretty darn good to be honest.

And yes you ARE having a go at meat eaters, hell you use the term corpse crunchers which is just stupid, meat doesn't crunch, why not corpse CHEWERS? At least that makes sense. If anything Vegetarians are the ones crunching corpses. The term in and of itself is an attack on meat eaters.

So now the arguement isn't about cruelty its about sustainability? Why? Because YOU are just as cruel killing any living being for food as any other. The grow back thing is a riot as well, so if we just cut off small pieces of a chicken we'd be ok?

It's not that people don't have the guts to eat puppies, its that they choose not to!(that and it's illegal) Their choice is theirs, yours is yours, just know YOUR facts before you get all sanctimonius and try to hide it with guile. It isn't fooling anyone.

Eating MEAT is part of the cycle of life. Explain the existance of carnivores THROUGHOUT the animal kingdom. We aren't built to be vegetarians, and i'm damn well not built to listen to vegetarians tell me i'm wrong in my eating.

(btw i used to BE a vegetarian just so ya know)
 Vannili
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 11:53:28 AM
No body eats cats , dogs , and other animals. If they are raised as a pet for nobody eats their own love one/family....................

When I was a kid ,we raised pigs to sale and I name each of the pig after Filipino movie actresses and actors and talk to them....... every time the buyer comes I make a scene by crying hard... LOL.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 8:24:23 PM
The first problem is it was never established if the homecooked dinner invitation spelled out the menu? If it wasent then it wasent planned properly, you should prepare something that both people enjoy and can eat. If the person just didn't like your cooking, maybe your cooking skills need improvement, show off skills when they are perfected. Lastly, if the person hasent touched his meal find out why by asking. Someone who cant be up front and honest may not be able to be, if thats an issue find someone else who would enjoy your hospitality.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >