Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 unpluckedgem
Msg: 15
Wht is the website so slow?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
And I think you missed mine. I actually emailed POF and they replied and were aware of the problems people were experiencing. In fact, they asked for patience while they worked on it. I'd copy/paste the email reply here but alas I'm on my tablet and not on my laptop at the moment with the email on it. I'll see what I can do when I'm logistically aligned.

You're obviously not very experienced with web development and/or familiar with web standards. For a company to snub the mobile experience these days is almost suicide. For a site to work fine one day and fail miserably the next only means one thing - failure on their part to do proper testing and troubleshooting.
 unpluckedgem
Msg: 16
Wht is the website so slow?
Posted: 4/27/2013 1:11:08 AM
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to email POF.com.

Thank you for reporting this problem. We are currently working on resolving this issue, and you should see it fixed very soon. We apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime, but appreciate your patience!

Thanks.

Regards,

Celine
POF Team
POF.com

Bobby Z man
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/1/2013 7:32:22 AM
@ UNPLUCK
From many posts that I have read, it sounds like the reply you received from POF was a copy/paste too. Most people NEVER hear a peep back after contacting CSR. And those that do report the same form letter as a reply. And I may be wrong, but I think the identical letter right down to the same signature.

As far as:
For a site to work fine one day and fail miserably the next only means one thing - failure on their part to do proper testing and troubleshooting.
All you need to do is read the statement at the top of Site/Suggestion/Help here in the forums.
I(admin) create and test new features in a matter of hours and constantly tweak things to see how they work. Many new features will be in a constant state of flux. Should a feature not enhance the site it will be removed.
You see, this site is developed on the fly with VERY LITTLE concern about testing, trouble shooting, or functionality.

This site makes a killing for the owner just the way he has it setup. Frustrating for the users? It sure is. Made Markus AKA Mr. Bigfish millions? You bet.

And as far as
… snub the mobile experience
is concerned, there are POF apps for both IPhone and android. They have their own laundry lists of problems though and each has a dedicated thread for people to complain/comment.

For the Windows tablet and phone users, if enough requests are made for an app you may see one. May not though. So, for your own health, don’t hold your breath while waiting.

Unless BB gets itself out of the basement in the market, don’t look too hard for an app for it. Hopefully it will happen but doubtful until they regain a huge share of the mobile market that they created and then lost.
 unpluckedgem
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/1/2013 5:53:32 PM
Who wants an App? I sure as hell don't. Apps just introduce another source of problems proprietary to a particular platform that need support and maintenance and drain resources . Or you could just code your website according to web standards, that means working on a MODERN WEB BROWSER and tested on multiple platforms and be done with things. The biggest and best WEB APP is the web browser. We're not talking IE6 stuff here either. There are standards called XHTML (4 or 5) and CSS (2.1 or 3.0), use some JavaScript libraries of your choice and you will not have issues. This isn't rocket science either. It's how I make a living. One day the URL's changed on this site and as soon as that happened, the site became essentially broken and unusable...

If that reply from the CSR is a canned response then I wouldn't be too surprised though. It is for things like this which make me not wish to upgrade to a paying customer though. I'll vote with my wallet ultimately and if I need to, go to a competitors site. The fact that we're even having this discussion is evidence of a problem. Burrying one's head in the sand and pretending there's not a problem is just ridiculously bad business.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/2/2013 4:35:57 AM
Then like you said in your first post, this may not be a site for you.

EDIT to add:
But keep in mind, this site makes millions on page hits and by all indications a meager percentage of that is in membership fees. So, every page you open puts more money in his wallet weather or not you pay for a membership.

Or, you could contact the site again and volunteer to fix it all up keen and spiffy. But there are dozens of people who have posted offering to do the same.

The owner of this site is quite wealthy from running it just how he sees fit. It’s his site and it’s his prerogative. Yes, you can vote with your wallet and I whole heartedly encourage you and everyone to do so. But, until loosing enough people to other sites puts a dent in the membership numbers thus his revenue, there is no incentive for the owner to change anything.

Like lightstar has told you, it is the nature of the site. It has always been the nature of this site. It will continue to be the nature of this site until all the people who complain start taking action by deleting their profiles and stop using the site completely instead of just complaining and pointing out the issues.

And just for the record, I had the app on my android phone but removed it because of issues. I now regularly use the web site on my android phone and currently have no more issues than using the web site on my PCs.

Just saying.
 unpluckedgem
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/2/2013 11:01:40 AM
Not on a mobile device anyhow, unless I threw Android on my Touchpad as you hint at. What is interesting is that the site has slightly improved on the Maxthon browser running on the PlayBook in the Android player but its still choppy as hell. Who cares...no one else does...
 unpluckedgem
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/3/2013 5:52:49 PM
Today the site is back to working fine once more on all my mobile devices including the BlackBerry PlayBook in all browsers. So apparently things have been remedied, hope it stays that way.
 adamsgoneawolagain
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:23:14 AM
It's nothing to do with your computer. This website is rubbish. It's always slow and full of glitches. Right now, every time I click on something - it opens a new blank tab. Can't read messages or anything.
Not saying it's a scam, but I'd advise against downloading anything to 'solve' it. You don't need to. You can do all that yourself without having to download and install anything.
 NurseinTheMaking1
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/2/2017 9:12:52 AM
Holy RUDE!!! I'm referring to the person who "attempted" to help person with his tech issue. What's wrong with you?! Why don't you trying bein an understanding human being and get off your high horse and drop the judgement. Never look down on anyone unless it's to give them a hand to reach and pull them up. I was looking for an answer to this problem and came across this post and was just so appualed at your behavior I had to comment. To person who didn't know the answers to this mans "simple question" ignore him. There's nothing wrong with admitting you don't know or understand something when seeking help for any reason. I'm a 4.0 nursing student and while I know the browser I use when it comes to clearing caches and much beyond that with anything tech wise I get a little intimidated and prefer it broken down step by step as that is just not one of my strengths. So don't feel bad. I realize it's not likely that poor person sees this response but just in case I felt so bad reading this I am responding.
 back_again4917
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/12/2017 5:14:00 PM
I too have been having issues with the site being slow and decided to check the forums to see if others are reporting the same. I wanted to see if there was any help or suggested solutions.

I have one question of NurseinTheMaking1… Who are you scolding? I have an idea who it is but your post is so vague I really cannot say for sure.

OK, that said, are there any suggestions?

Thank you.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >