Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chameleonf
Msg: 4
Help!!!! I need ideas pleasePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Again, you'd have to know the foods he really likes. There are many varieties of ways to cook chicken with sauces and spices that changes it up so it's not the same ol' same ol', dishes that combine the ingredients that are good for him, such as vegetarian chilies or ones with meat but the meat is either ground turkey or bison, etc. As I said, a person doesn't have to eat like a bird in order to eat proper foods. I'm not diebetic myself but do have cookbooks for diebetics for when I cook for people who are. The great benefit of cooking for him is that it'll be great for you too, even though you have no weight issues. The cheapest way to acquire the information, is by doing internet searches. Good luck! I'm sure you'll having him feeling great about himself in no time, strictly because you care.
 tass08
Msg: 7
Help!!!! I need ideas please
Posted: 8/20/2009 11:22:48 AM
Get him moving. Get him up early with you and take a nice long walk every morning. It will boost his metabolism & it is a pleasant way to get started getting fit --- without the stigma of EXERCISE PROGRAM that he's probably dreading. Get him started in a martial arts program --- it's exercise, but more important it's discipline and commitment and measurable progress, all of which will help him develop self-respect (more durable than self-esteem IMO).

Give him lots of love but not too much cheerleading --- I've learned that they respond much better at this age to high expectations than they do to high praise.
 jojoaus
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 2:15:12 PM
You are obviously close with your nephew or you would not have custody of him. He's lucky to have you!!
For the first couple of weeks I'd just feed him what he wants- he needs time to adjust as do you. Then I'd work on cutting out unhealthy snacks and offering favourite fruits, or eggie sticks with no-fat salsa (drooooool...). Then maybe start portion control- give him slightly less on his plate each time. THEN maybe start introducing lower fat meals.
Up his intake of non-starchy veg without withdrawing his beloved carbs entirely.

I'm just off to catch a train then a plane to see my sweetie (yayyy!!) but I will have a god think on the journey there and back, and post my ideas then
Good luck!!
 Opequon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 6:25:57 PM
I just love the cookbook called "Hungry Girl 200 under 200" by Lisa Lillien. They have some awesome recipes that someone younger would love. I know my 15 year old nephew loves some of the fruit breads and cookies I make from them. This book is rarely far from my hands. I take it with me anytime I travel. All the recipes give the nutrition breakdown and usually make one or two servings. The woman has a website. You can sign up for emails where she does product reviews and sends recipe makeovers (like one for Wendy's Toffee frosty I have yet to try but it sounds deliscious and nowhere near the 500+ calories of the original).
 arwen52
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2009 10:53:34 AM
Fill up on lean sources of protein and vegetables.

And get exercising! Start taking walks together after dinner.
 TooShadows
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2009 11:06:19 AM
I once lost quite a bit of weight by eating more meals in a day,but smaller ones. I still ate everything I wanted,but in small portions. The trick to this is to eat even when you don't feel hungry. Start out with a good breakfast and then have a small meal or mid-sized snack about every 2-3 hours after that. After a while you become accustomed to eating small portions,you feel full quicker, and it's easier to work off the calories you do ingest with a bit of exercise.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 24
Help!!!! ideas on meals that a teenager will eat and that do not scream DIET.
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:55:48 PM
Eliminate wheat. Wheat has been tied to insulin resistance, which for a 14 year old at risk of diabetes, is not good in ANY way shape or form- don't even do whole wheat. NO WHEAT.

And of course nix the sugar- even "all natural" cane sugar. Focus on low carb. Basically do everything you can to keep his blood sugar levels steadier.

Personally, I don't think excess weight causes diabetes- they're both symptoms of feeding your body too much trash. So don't try to feed him "diet" food- research diabetes, and start feeding him *real* food. Cook things from scratch. Make flavourful things that don't require using store bought sauces. (They all pretty much have corn syrup in them anyways...)
 Belle Requin
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/28/2009 2:55:32 PM
Nah- I'm an all at once girl. BUT that's because I'm pretty fantastic in the kitchen and if I have to make a recipe without an ingredient, it's no problem, and no one misses it. That can be hard for others.

Fact is, kid is in dire straights, and letting him have wheat is only going to speed the onset of diabetes. You can switch to a more balanced diet over time, but cut out things like pop, and switch from wheat based meals as soon as possible. Give the kid wheat free pizza- easy, and I'm sure he won't notice the difference. Give his brown rice mac'n'cheese with turkey kubassa, he's not likely to complain. Bread chicken filets with rye cracker crumbs and millet flour, and I guarantee you he'll love them (millet is DIVINE for breading things...)- you can even throw in some oven baked fries if you're using something like almond or grapeseed oil. It's actually pretty easy to make "typical junk food" without wheat. Use sparkling water, kool aid powder and agave nectar if he needs something other than pop.

I'll say though, I think excess weight is more the result of poor quality food and your body not working properly, than simply eating too many calories. Make what he eats to be good quality unprocessed food, and don't worry about how much of it he eats. People eat too much because the crap they eat is not nourishing/helping their body. Give them GOOD food, and their body will balance out.
 raxarsr
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2009 7:31:31 PM
make sure he eats a breakfast in the morning...sounds strange...but it actually helps ou lose weight........discovered that when i found out i am diabetic
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >