Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 victoriasnewsecret
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Forum Posts Page 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
How on earth do you keep track of 600 just by number, specifically as you say? Sorry, I can't see any practical use to being on 600 favorites list other than if you are required to be in a position of easy contact - i.e. a moderator. What practical use are you employing this feature for in either a "dating" sense or a "forum" sense; if this really isn't about a perception of popularity? If this really is a privacy issue, why the 600?

Why the 600? Because I don't have the time to sit here and clean up my favorites list every time someone adds me. I have no control over who adds me except to laboriously delete them one by one - as another user pointed out, not at all user friendly. But I'd like to at least know who my favorites are/how many people are doing it - that is where the number comes in. If I can't even see everyone who is adding me, at least I can know approximately how many people are. For all I know, I could be down to 300 now or up to 1000, and I have no way to tell.

And honestly, I got used to the 600 number, I've been hovering around there for months. But should that climb, I feel I have a valid concern for why I should know that. Every single one of those users can see when I am online and track my usage habits.

So why am I focusing on the number, more than asking Markus to fix the code so that we can see everyone who adds us? I'd be much happier with the latter, but I think it would be much harder to implement and possibly more of a load on the servers. The number count just moves the number from one place (our profiles) to another (our private favorites page, where only we can see it).

Now, I know Markus has a blog online somewhere and I'm half tempted to find it again so I can see his explanation for why he did this. I am glad that the count is out of the eyes of the general public (and frankly, glad that the forum posts are too), but I still want to know for my own information.

Late, I am glad you are responding, I know it's not an easy or fun way to spend your spare time. But these really are valid concerns that Markus needs to see, and if the uproar continues, he really should address.
 jadegreen
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Forum Posts
Posted: 8/27/2009 2:01:51 PM
Then what is your purpose of even discussing this? The new changes are "inefficient" and "not user friendly" to the users of POF...Sorry but you can't "sell" this stuff to me as an improvement...I'm not "buying into that"

So you guys did away with the favorites simply to "spare" the egos of those who could not handle the #'s?
 c_deacon
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Favourites & Last 5 Forum Posts being removed from profiles
Posted: 8/29/2009 8:32:22 AM
I am wondering if someone is now following the forum threads and usage since this change?

I know that now I have a much harder time following friends comments in different threads, along with some of the threads I have posted to as well. Many times we follow threads because of topics, mood, and friends that we enjoy listening and talking to, and now that is much harder to do.

Losing the favorites list does not bother me at all, in fact, I think it levels the playing field for all, that they do not know if that person they are reviewing is on 100 favorite lists, or one.

I do however, miss not having an easy way to see where my friends, and those I am potentially interested in, as well as my most recent posts, are located. It was much more convenient to just click on the forum posting of an individual while on their profile, and head right to it. The same thing for our own, and since there are many many of us that post to the forums often, it becomes a feature that we like to have at our finger tips.

To have to click on someones history when in a thread, or find a thread that they have given their point of view, in order to find their forum history, takes longer to do, and is much more inconvenient. While doing this, many times you end up at the beginning of the forum thread, and then have to search multiple pages to find that one comment, which is very distracting as well.

I wonder if we could set up a button that will let the owner of the profile allow those seeing it, to click on it and see the last five forum postings? This way, only those that do not mind others seeing their postings, can turn it on, and all the others can leave it off, like we do with the viewing button.

Just my opinion........
 OneLifeTwoLive
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:39:17 PM
Good idea not to show others how many people put you in their favorites, but I'd like to know who added me. I get emails all the time that say somone has added me, but don't know how to check anymore. Before, they removed this feature there was a link at the bottom of the profile. Does anyone know if there is a way to see who put you in their favorites?
 Brizo
Msg: 105
view profile
History
last 5 forum posts.. gone.
Posted: 8/29/2009 10:20:35 PM
I'm grateful for the removal of the number of favorites, it's caused a lot of trouble for me in the past with snarky emails from insecure, sarcastic types...

I tried to explain to them I'd been on this site a long time and had made quite a few friends, that half of my favorites list was female, that most of them were from the poetry forums, but their insecurity wouldn't let go of it...

and then, *poof* , with one keystroke (okay, maybe more than one) marcus solves my problem.

And those of you angling against my testimonials....don't. even. start. My friends aren't going anywhere, but you might.
 Brizo
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 11:03:28 AM
A simple "User's Thoughts" link on their profile would satisfy that while not cluttering up a profile.

last 25 posts link would be wonderfully informative...
 fgibbs1969
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 9:12:53 PM
Last 5 posts wasnt a feature that I used, but... The favorites should have stayed. I see it both ways but there is a simple solution. Make it where others cant see how many favs you have but when you view your own profile you can see them. I got a favs ad today by someone named *****snipped******* and I had to search for that name to see her profile. Problem is that it didnt find her and I have no list to go to to find out who it is. I would like to at least see who ads me to their list.
 1ToExplore
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:41:43 AM
Like alot people I miss the favorites number displayed at the bottom of the page. I would like to see at least an option for this..

Many people enjoyed this, and it got taken away. Did nothing to improve the site...

c
 cat7daddy
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 2:15:22 PM
i'm coming in late. can you expand on that .. what was the reason for removing the favorites count?
 canoga77
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:09:26 AM
I'm so glad the last 5 forum posts have disappeared. That being said, you should give people the option of showing their posts in their profile or not. What irritated me before was that I couldn't choose whether my posts appeared or not.

Let's remember that some of us are here for dating first, and we don't want our participation in the fora to interfere with that. For some people, there's no way to have frank discussions on the fora when you know all your posts are appearing on your profile. Besides the links to the posts are just aesthetically bad.

On the other hand, if the posts enhance a person's profile, then give them the option of allowing them to appear
 chitownbilly
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/14/2009 7:45:47 PM
Better late to the party than never arriving.....

The removal of "Number of Favorites" & "Rate My Pic" has resulted in a drastic reduction of contacts for me.

I agree, the Last 5 Forum Posts showed a lot in a persons profile. How they interact and react to other people.

The removal of "Number of Favorites" on the bottom is a great loss. It would allow you to:

: Gauge the last time someone was logged on.... someone with not too many or Zero favorites, chances are, are new or someone that has not logged on for a while.

: If some girl had 500 favorites, it is a clue she is on here for attention. I am more attracted to the girl next door as opposed to the girl which has a line around the block.

: As far as MY own "favorites number" listed, it was great to look at a glance if you have been removed, someone deleted their account or if added, I knew I had caught someones eye, I would look and then react if necessary. After 3 you don't receive a notice, heck sometimes I don't get a notice at all because my ISP considers POF spam!

The removal of "Rate my Picture" is a shame, it was a great way to meet women, even if just friends or exchanging hello's.

So I have to say, Favorties was removed, but, "Number of Roses" is left there? LOL!

The bottom line is Admin is the boss. He will deem what comes and goes. Also the site is free. Since the site is free, Admin here at POF, needs to keep traffic on his server moving for the lowest cost and keep the value of the site (its worth) maximized. From an Admin (myself), as Admin you have to decide how much if any input you will get from your end users.

For the end user, there are a lot of free dating sites these days, so there is no reason to complain. Enjoy the site or go elsewhere.

In closing, there can never be enough thanks and praises for Moderators giving their time.

Best of luck to everyone and their future endeavors.
 chitownbilly
Msg: 117
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:52:34 PM
This thread was where people aired out THEIR ideas and position of this topic. I am sorry you don't agree with me, but as a Moderator, you should have a little more tact when presenting your opinion or pointing out where I may be wrong, instead of coming across being hostile.

Trust me, neither one of us will lose any sleep over this tonight, but you are representing this site, you never know who is reading this, whether it be the media, an advertiser or anyone else.

Thank you for your contribution as Moderator on this site which I do enjoy using. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend.
 sometimesalady
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:39:31 AM
And they just keeping taking away!
 MissElection
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2013 4:31:09 AM
Forums gone completely =[