Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 motownmaniax
Msg: 68
Favorites countPage 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
^^^ You still have all your favs, and can look up who's added you to their lists if you want. The visible count's gone because it was causing too much negative reaction.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 71
Favorites count
Posted: 8/24/2009 9:19:02 PM
I'll just take your word for this, as I tend to look at more women's profiles as opposed to men's ones, I'm just wired that way.

Neither am I.

Obviously, just like "you", I can't make a definitive assessment. But from the feedback I've gotten from women, they didn't see the kinds of high counts on men's profiles that I've seen on women's, and certainly not the regularity. I'm also going by a certain age range, since I don't make it a habit of looking at the young gals. Maybe you're into that.

My "opinion" is some people love My Space-type friends accumulation, and love adding to their favs list for the simple act of adding.

Are you going to stop diggin' your own grave at some point?

Hey, Pal, you started with the snide comments.

I'm giving opinions in here, just like you. You want to play final arbiter and mod of this thread regarding what can be written, but give yourself a free pass, so be it. With your style, even after I'm gone I'm sure I won't be the only one you'll have a run in with. Happy trails.
 manforrent
Msg: 75
forum posts/favorites numbers
Posted: 8/25/2009 9:38:29 AM
actually I don't mind loosing the last 5 posts thing but I sure would like to see the favs count remain.

I have found this to be the most effective way to eliminate people who you know you won't have a chance with. If you have some little princess who is on over 100 favs and is too picky to be able to choose one decent guy out of the lot then theres no sense wasting your time writing an emails so she can boost her little pathetic ego by deleting it.

personally I think markus is doing all these changes because men are getting fed up with the site and the bad attitudes of the women here and are starting to leave in droves, or like myself, no longer wasting their time writing to imature selfcentered daddys girls who have never seen a pastry they couldn't cram into their ever expanding bellies.

hate me if you wish, but I'd rather be hated than ignored
 pleasurelimits
Msg: 83
Favourites & Last 5 Forum Posts being removed from profiles
Posted: 8/25/2009 4:58:14 PM
What I want to know is why when I log onto Forums that the sex and sexuality title no longer appears? love an answer to this
 motownmaniax
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/26/2009 4:22:30 PM
Forums on a dating site is just a tool like any other, but I think a powerful one, even if not used by everybody or used for varying purposes. I know of many people that read forums posts even though they’ve never actually posted, so averages regarding total users vs forums users has the possibility of being distorted.

I think every dating site should have a robust and well but not overly moderated forums. POF agrees with this or they would have simply shut the present forums down (my understanding is they did once, but brought it back).

There are also plenty of other features not universally used on a dating site, but are supplied due to other considerations, like enhancing a user’s experience or simply being "fun" to do. I personally have never used many POF features, like “Create your seduction guide”, “Matchmaker” between two friends, “Can you hold a relationship?”, etc. I'm wondering just how many actually have. If some do like these features and get enjoyment out of them, fine.

Obviously, like many other profile options, the previous forums post links were not absolutely needed, but certainly helped those so inclined to use it.

The disuse of the links has been dealt with by simply adding your own posting history URL to your profile. If that’s the fix, how about giving us the opportunity to hyperlink it. As has already been stated, POF has a bot to make sure "only" POF URL’s are allowed on our profiles, so having HTML coding around a legitimate link should not be a problem.
 Rythmn
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:19:12 PM
well, if people think that favorites are all about dating all of them, then i must be quite a trollop! i usually did a weeding after a hundred or so, but i've been posting here for a good three years. even posted when in relationship, just said "not looking". asked above, how many favs have we met? well, i've met a number within the state, hosted a few travelling through, talk to many on the phone via magic jack which is free to usa and canada--and private email quite a good number. a large number were "quality" contacts, usually from the forums. so, i figure as i weeded out slowly but surely, i had contact with at least 4 out of 5 favorites. not all at once, but many with similar continuity as with old friends from back east.

now, if men who do not participate on the forums, do not contact me because of the fav number, then that is soooooooooo sad. i did put a disclaimer on my profile, describing my use of it for forum buddies. if they didn't get it or didn't question it, then just how bright are they anyways? i mean "do the math" ! i'm 60 years old. what do they think i am? a madame?

as to the missing five posts. it's driving me away from posting and reading. i tried to see the top posts of each forum topic, but it just didn't work in keeping me in sync with fellow posters. maybe i'll try the url trick. but, that will take a lot of time to afix so many e-buddies. i come here to relax, not to do more work. however, i have gotten my butt out the house, since the posts were removed!

if i were to have my plea! BRING THEM BACK OR ALLOW A CHOICE. the favs can be argued both ways it appears. that is no biggie to me, i have enough self confidence. however, at my age, i do think it was helpful. yet, here are people contacting me, who would not have before. so, "whatever". just give me back the posts or yes, it would be nice if people put their posting urls up and i will be doing that. it would then be a bit easier, although still not as good as before.

ps when i posted something i didn't want the general public to read, i made sure to post six times to at least get it off my profile! so not sure why that is such a big issue.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/26/2009 7:19:17 PM
For those that still want to track who adds them to their favs, go to your Mail Settings and scroll down until you see this line:

Send me an email when someone adds me to their favorites: [ ]Yes [ ]No

Click the Yes radio button and whenever someone adds you to their list you'll get an email. The favorites count was just a representation on your profile. The list the count derived from still remains. If you need to update your email address, go to your Registration (can be found at the bottom of your Edit page). Remember to save any changes.
 victoriasnewsecret
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Forum Posts
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:08:42 PM
So I guess they're never going to put our number count on our personal favorites page? I admit, I'm really missing that feature. I relied on that number for a lot of things, and I'm sad to see it gone. I want to at least know how many people know the exact times that I'm logging on - I think that's reasonable considering it concerns my privacy.

If we don't have the option to SEE the number and SEE every person who's added us, then we should have the option to DISABLE favoriting altogether. I'll start a new post about this soon if it isn't sufficiently addressed.
 jadegreen
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:16:41 PM
The forum threads on profiles was an easy way to gauge the morality of an individual and was liked by many people...

Sometimes their morals are not easy to see on a profile description. However opinions on forum issues gave you a better picture of that. Sad to see it gone...Sad to see that the moderator is in a "non-listening" mode. A good moderator should be a good listener and FAIR otherwise why have you even left this thread open logically? This attitude is dictatorship and insensitive

The way we retrieve our forum posts is now "inefficient" for the users...I don't know about the programming code behind the seens and how complicated it was or if has been made "shorter" now...taking up less memory space in the background etc...but some more logical answers would be nice...I have worked with raw HTML programming code and am familiar with it...I realize this is a free site, but the attitude behind the scenes lately is unbelievable...

If this is an issue of bad Public Relations due to awful forum postings then better moderators would solve that problem...sorry gotta call the shots as I see them and be honest...
 victoriasnewsecret
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Forum Posts
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:26:26 PM

Just look at the list, where it's not just a number, but the profiles that have faved you. Set your mail settings to "email when someone favorites me". There are still options to the change in both features

Thanks late, but unfortunately that method of tracking isn't particularly effective. I have/had around 600 favorites - the favorites page cuts off after a certain number. I can't track around 5/6ths of the people who have already added me.

Further, a new person could add me (as tracked by email) and then remove me quickly and I'd never know if I'm still on their list, unless they've logged on recently enough that they'd show up on my favorites before the cutoff (usually within the last few hours). And unless I've added them to my favorites, it's impossible to confirm if they've removed me.

Just looking at the list would help if it showed everyone who adds you, but unfortunately it does not.
 jadegreen
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Forum Posts
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:30:20 PM
It is "inefficient' and not "user friendly" to not be able to see # of favorites...once again I don't know about the convenience of this from the programmers end...perhaps it "shortens" the raw html code and conserves memory...
 victoriasnewsecret
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Forum Posts
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:55:12 PM
How on earth do you keep track of 600 just by number, specifically as you say? Sorry, I can't see any practical use to being on 600 favorites list other than if you are required to be in a position of easy contact - i.e. a moderator. What practical use are you employing this feature for in either a "dating" sense or a "forum" sense; if this really isn't about a perception of popularity? If this really is a privacy issue, why the 600?

Why the 600? Because I don't have the time to sit here and clean up my favorites list every time someone adds me. I have no control over who adds me except to laboriously delete them one by one - as another user pointed out, not at all user friendly. But I'd like to at least know who my favorites are/how many people are doing it - that is where the number comes in. If I can't even see everyone who is adding me, at least I can know approximately how many people are. For all I know, I could be down to 300 now or up to 1000, and I have no way to tell.

And honestly, I got used to the 600 number, I've been hovering around there for months. But should that climb, I feel I have a valid concern for why I should know that. Every single one of those users can see when I am online and track my usage habits.

So why am I focusing on the number, more than asking Markus to fix the code so that we can see everyone who adds us? I'd be much happier with the latter, but I think it would be much harder to implement and possibly more of a load on the servers. The number count just moves the number from one place (our profiles) to another (our private favorites page, where only we can see it).

Now, I know Markus has a blog online somewhere and I'm half tempted to find it again so I can see his explanation for why he did this. I am glad that the count is out of the eyes of the general public (and frankly, glad that the forum posts are too), but I still want to know for my own information.

Late, I am glad you are responding, I know it's not an easy or fun way to spend your spare time. But these really are valid concerns that Markus needs to see, and if the uproar continues, he really should address.
 jadegreen
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Forum Posts
Posted: 8/27/2009 2:01:51 PM
Then what is your purpose of even discussing this? The new changes are "inefficient" and "not user friendly" to the users of POF...Sorry but you can't "sell" this stuff to me as an improvement...I'm not "buying into that"

So you guys did away with the favorites simply to "spare" the egos of those who could not handle the #'s?
 c_deacon
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2009 8:32:22 AM
I am wondering if someone is now following the forum threads and usage since this change?

I know that now I have a much harder time following friends comments in different threads, along with some of the threads I have posted to as well. Many times we follow threads because of topics, mood, and friends that we enjoy listening and talking to, and now that is much harder to do.

Losing the favorites list does not bother me at all, in fact, I think it levels the playing field for all, that they do not know if that person they are reviewing is on 100 favorite lists, or one.

I do however, miss not having an easy way to see where my friends, and those I am potentially interested in, as well as my most recent posts, are located. It was much more convenient to just click on the forum posting of an individual while on their profile, and head right to it. The same thing for our own, and since there are many many of us that post to the forums often, it becomes a feature that we like to have at our finger tips.

To have to click on someones history when in a thread, or find a thread that they have given their point of view, in order to find their forum history, takes longer to do, and is much more inconvenient. While doing this, many times you end up at the beginning of the forum thread, and then have to search multiple pages to find that one comment, which is very distracting as well.

I wonder if we could set up a button that will let the owner of the profile allow those seeing it, to click on it and see the last five forum postings? This way, only those that do not mind others seeing their postings, can turn it on, and all the others can leave it off, like we do with the viewing button.

Just my opinion........
 OneLifeTwoLive
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:39:17 PM
Good idea not to show others how many people put you in their favorites, but I'd like to know who added me. I get emails all the time that say somone has added me, but don't know how to check anymore. Before, they removed this feature there was a link at the bottom of the profile. Does anyone know if there is a way to see who put you in their favorites?
 Brizo
Msg: 105
view profile
History
last 5 forum posts.. gone.
Posted: 8/29/2009 10:20:35 PM
I'm grateful for the removal of the number of favorites, it's caused a lot of trouble for me in the past with snarky emails from insecure, sarcastic types...

I tried to explain to them I'd been on this site a long time and had made quite a few friends, that half of my favorites list was female, that most of them were from the poetry forums, but their insecurity wouldn't let go of it...

and then, *poof* , with one keystroke (okay, maybe more than one) marcus solves my problem.

And those of you angling against my testimonials....don't. even. start. My friends aren't going anywhere, but you might.
 Brizo
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 11:03:28 AM
A simple "User's Thoughts" link on their profile would satisfy that while not cluttering up a profile.

last 25 posts link would be wonderfully informative...
 fgibbs1969
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 9:12:53 PM
Last 5 posts wasnt a feature that I used, but... The favorites should have stayed. I see it both ways but there is a simple solution. Make it where others cant see how many favs you have but when you view your own profile you can see them. I got a favs ad today by someone named *****snipped******* and I had to search for that name to see her profile. Problem is that it didnt find her and I have no list to go to to find out who it is. I would like to at least see who ads me to their list.
 1ToExplore
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:41:43 AM
Like alot people I miss the favorites number displayed at the bottom of the page. I would like to see at least an option for this..

Many people enjoyed this, and it got taken away. Did nothing to improve the site...

c
 cat7daddy
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 2:15:22 PM
i'm coming in late. can you expand on that .. what was the reason for removing the favorites count?
 canoga77
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:09:26 AM
I'm so glad the last 5 forum posts have disappeared. That being said, you should give people the option of showing their posts in their profile or not. What irritated me before was that I couldn't choose whether my posts appeared or not.

Let's remember that some of us are here for dating first, and we don't want our participation in the fora to interfere with that. For some people, there's no way to have frank discussions on the fora when you know all your posts are appearing on your profile. Besides the links to the posts are just aesthetically bad.

On the other hand, if the posts enhance a person's profile, then give them the option of allowing them to appear
 chitownbilly
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/14/2009 7:45:47 PM
Better late to the party than never arriving.....

The removal of "Number of Favorites" & "Rate My Pic" has resulted in a drastic reduction of contacts for me.

I agree, the Last 5 Forum Posts showed a lot in a persons profile. How they interact and react to other people.

The removal of "Number of Favorites" on the bottom is a great loss. It would allow you to:

: Gauge the last time someone was logged on.... someone with not too many or Zero favorites, chances are, are new or someone that has not logged on for a while.

: If some girl had 500 favorites, it is a clue she is on here for attention. I am more attracted to the girl next door as opposed to the girl which has a line around the block.

: As far as MY own "favorites number" listed, it was great to look at a glance if you have been removed, someone deleted their account or if added, I knew I had caught someones eye, I would look and then react if necessary. After 3 you don't receive a notice, heck sometimes I don't get a notice at all because my ISP considers POF spam!

The removal of "Rate my Picture" is a shame, it was a great way to meet women, even if just friends or exchanging hello's.

So I have to say, Favorties was removed, but, "Number of Roses" is left there? LOL!

The bottom line is Admin is the boss. He will deem what comes and goes. Also the site is free. Since the site is free, Admin here at POF, needs to keep traffic on his server moving for the lowest cost and keep the value of the site (its worth) maximized. From an Admin (myself), as Admin you have to decide how much if any input you will get from your end users.

For the end user, there are a lot of free dating sites these days, so there is no reason to complain. Enjoy the site or go elsewhere.

In closing, there can never be enough thanks and praises for Moderators giving their time.

Best of luck to everyone and their future endeavors.
 chitownbilly
Msg: 117
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:52:34 PM
This thread was where people aired out THEIR ideas and position of this topic. I am sorry you don't agree with me, but as a Moderator, you should have a little more tact when presenting your opinion or pointing out where I may be wrong, instead of coming across being hostile.

Trust me, neither one of us will lose any sleep over this tonight, but you are representing this site, you never know who is reading this, whether it be the media, an advertiser or anyone else.

Thank you for your contribution as Moderator on this site which I do enjoy using. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend.
 sometimesalady
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:39:31 AM
And they just keeping taking away!
 MissElection
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2013 4:31:09 AM
Forums gone completely =[