Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Vancer
Msg: 16
Anyone else not see the value in diamonds and other jewelry?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
To me, the value of jewelry lies somewhere well below a pair of shoes, or a belt.
At least shoes and belts have a use. Jewelry just seems to be about broadcasting.
 SueCat51
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Anyone else not see the value in diamonds and other jewelry?
Posted: 8/25/2009 3:50:31 PM
Oh please. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on travel (the experience), then jewels that have an ungodly huge markup. Material things are becoming less appealing to me, than if I spend the dough on travel. It's the experience vs. the thing, I reckon.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:47:16 AM
I have never really cared for jewelry, but not knocking those who do enjoy it. Value in almost anything is relative to how you view it. Regardless of my income, I will never own flashy jewelry, or flashy cars and clothes for that matter.
 FL CO
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:59:17 AM

I see absolutely zero value in jewelry. I just do not understand how a shiny rock that is dug up can cost thousands of dollars! When I walk passed a jewelry store and see these ridiculous prices, I am just in awe. I just don't get it!!

I understand and agree 100%. However, the vast majority of the world has put a pretty big value on such items. Because of that they make a wise investment. What I want to know is that when something major happens and that city, state, region, whatever is shut down for weeks or months on end what people are going to do with these investments. You can't eat or drink them, you can't use them cook, keep warm or defend yourself. Their truth worthlessness will come out. People will probably be trading them for a dime on the dollar for something thats actually useful.
 FL CO
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 7:07:02 AM

Money has no value in itself, but we still use it

Very true. When it comes to money having value those that are made from silver or gold do have value since our society has put a value on those metals. To be honest I'm surprized that so many people on this forum agree with me and the OP.
 colt8301
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/26/2009 2:11:22 PM
I'm with you Palifornia I honestly don't see the significants in any jewelry except a watch all that other stuff just make you a mark to be robbed or something like that, then again on the flipside that stuff means the world to some people so i can't hate them for loving something everybody obsesses over something.
 TheReason_
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:18:36 PM

It's take millions of years to create a masterpiece.....Gold on that ring or necklace will be an investment for the future. Value will never go down.

Unlike spending thousands of dollars on a car and it's value goes down the second it is driven off the lot.

You want to see the "value" on your "investment" in a wedding ring?

Try to sell one. That $6000 ring is suddenly worth $1200.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:44:38 PM
"Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick. "

It took to page 2 but Prime Woman finally proved there are indeed women with hearts of far more than proverbial gold. I'm sure the rest of you simply overlooked it, so no offense ladies

Diamonds promote slavery, subjugation, mutilation, incredible suffering, and murder. How any woman could walk around with a rock on her hand someone else might have had their hand lopped off for or worse is beyond me. And if someone tells you it is a "clean" diamond think again. As long as there is a market there is going to be exploitation.

If you really see yourself as a kind, loving, compassionate being ladies please THINK! It's very romantic!

I like the way some jewlrey looks on a woman. There's a decent chance I'll die alone, but if I were ever fortunate enough to be in position to propose she'd know how I feel already. She'd get one heck of a garnet I found in any setting she wants that I wouldn't have to take a second mortage for.
 Ependa
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/26/2009 10:25:00 PM
My jewelry is relatively inexpensive and it's sentimental...a dragon, onyx , harley ring =)..that type of thing..or just plain sterling silver or titanium. I don't personally see any value in frivilous, expensive pieces , but some people enjoy it. Hell, I flushed my wedding ring and engagement ring down the toilet..so yeah...not a lot of respect for the almighty buck or diamond.
 Padawan61
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 12:07:36 AM
Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick

The producers of the film is hoping that their message will appeal to people's morality. Whatever.

Aside from food, water and energy ... which are essential ... nothing else has any real value until someone desires it. It all depends on what each of us consider valuable. Personally, jewelry is meaningless unless I can turn it into cash in order to acquire something that I really do want ... which may not be anyone else's cup of tea.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:36:35 AM
"Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick

The producers of the film is hoping that their message will appeal to people's morality. Whatever.

Aside from food, water and energy ... which are essential ... nothing else has any real value until someone desires it. It all depends on what each of us consider valuable. Personally, jewelry is meaningless unless I can turn it into cash in order to acquire something that I really do want ... which may not be anyone else's cup of tea."

Well Padawan at least your honest about your self absorbtion. Whatever the producers motivations for that film were the social malaise the Diamond trade promotes has been documented a lot longer than that. I'd love to know if you've been to Sierra Leone or anywhere else in question?

This is definitely something I fault the media for not drawing attetntion to. Its truly unforgiveable. Then again who owns most of the media? I wonder if Rupert Murdoch owns stock in Debeers?

Again folks, if you're looking for someone with a proverbial heart

"Think! Its very Romantic!
 pocketlisting808
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 11:59:21 AM
I wear a diamond ring of my own design. I love it. It is an aesthetic expression for me. It looks great on my finger especially when my nails are freshly manicured. It is something I do for myself. The value in it is not the materials although some could be impressed. It is that throughout the day I get to look at a beautiful bauble I helped create.
 Padawan61
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:03:48 PM
Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick

Aside from food, water and energy ... which are essential ... nothing else has any real value until someone desires it. It all depends on what each of us consider valuable. Personally, jewelry is meaningless unless I can turn it into cash in order to acquire something that I really do want ... which may not be anyone else's cup of tea."

Well Padawan at least your honest about your self absorbtion. Whatever the producers motivations for that film were the social malaise the Diamond trade promotes has been documented a lot longer than that. I'd love to know if you've been to Sierra Leone or anywhere else in question?

Since I do not own diamonds or jewelry of any kind ... I can't be accused of fueling the exploitation ... can I?? Hence I shall remain in my self-absorption.

Cabin ... I can't wait to read your post on pocketlisting's very much self-absorbed pride in the diamond ring she designed.
 where4
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/27/2009 3:11:26 PM
Jewelry is stupid. So is clothing, unless, of course, you use it only to protect your body from the harsh elements.

Jewelry doesn’t protect the body from the weather or the briars but in some cases it might protect the soul from evil spirits or something. Hell, garlic can do just as good a job, I guess...

But its perfume is not nearly as enjoyable as that of the rose.

Oh, a silver crucifix! That’s as good as the garlic, I understand. But what if the vampires are atheists, for chrissakes?

I never had an engagement ring when I was married. We went together and bought my white gold wedding band at the PX for $21. Seems that tradition requires some kind of ring at the marriage.

When the old boy left our marriage I briefly considered dropping my pearls in the commode for him to find when I moved out of the house; once rejected I moved out of the state and I left the house behind for him. But I enjoyed wearing those pearls, dammit! And, many years later, I’m glad I didn’t leave them behind in the toilet. It would’ve been a silly symbolic gesture. After the heat of anger passed I was able, once again, to remember with fond emotion, the night he came up behind me in the bedroom and fastened the dear-bought pearls around my neck with his trembling hands. We went on to our holiday party where one of his close friends confided that he knew beforehand that I’d be wearing pearls that night. I felt so (dare I say it?) treasured.

Every economic commodity is costing somebody somewhere something. We can get all political about anything if we try. (Don’t get me wrong - I do it, too.)

The fact remains that lightning bugs glimmer in the dark to attract a mate. They always will. Peacocks fan their gorgeous tail feathers for the same reason. Humans have been adding sparkle to their bodies with minerals for many thousands of years. It won’t be stopping anytime soon.

Me? I can’t deny that I love a Cinderella evening out once in a while, sparkling jewels and all. I’m a real animal, I guess!
 yna6
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/27/2009 4:11:45 PM
Like the "engagement ring"...supposedly using 3 months of wages to get it. Some kind of sybol fo what you make, and how well you are able to care for your bride, or some such drivel.
What a waste. Those same three months wages could have went to a down payment on ahouse. Same with weddings. 10-20 grand on a wedding is almost nothing in todays society. What a waste.
Put the money where it will do the most good...cretainly not in some "wedding planners" pocket or a jewelers! Try actually putting your money where it will provide a roof over your head or groceries or some such thing!
 Venivici
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:11:18 PM
It's just not right to have this many people agreeing with each other! Guess I'll have to throw in the opposing view.
I LOVE sparkly things. Some days I just load up on rings and bracelets, sit in the sun and watch the rainbows! It brings me joy to look at a well-crafted piece of jewelry - and yes, it is art. I have to be pulled away from the jewelry displays - also from power tools and flowers!
I won't defend diamonds. Three months salary for an engagement ring? I wouldn't date someone who was that financially irresponsible! Better to make a downpayment on a house. (Just as a sidebar - I also don't understand women who will only wear a ring if a man bought it. I buy my own and I wear it on whatever finger I feel like. I'm not real big on traditions.)
I don't buy from jewelry stores. I buy at yard sales, ebay, department store clearance.... I've bought a $1,400 ring for $56. I bought a gold chain for $65, scrapped it for $250 and kept food on the table for a month. If I had it today I'd get twice that.
I don't buy/wear jewelry to impress anyone but me. Most everyone has something that they spend money on even if they don't "need" it, like expensive clothes, fancy power tools, Hummers, landscaping, chocolate, computers, and so on. The difference is that my collection doesn't take up as much room, will still look good in 100 years, and can be used for everything from medical treatments to aerospace.
Nice to meet ya'll!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:26:23 PM

Yup, I'm absolutely with you there! Serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

Another thing that's highly overrated is floral bouquets. A single flower occasionally is a sweet gesture, but if you really want to earn brownie points... buy me a book you know I'd like, or even one you think I should read.

I have 3 Mickey Mouse watches that I'm NOT giving up. One of those is usually in need of a fresh battery What little jewelry that I do wear is of extreme sentimental value to me. (3 rings...one is my Mother's ring (with my kids birthstones) the other 2 are my daughters class ring, and a cheap silver one she was wearing when she died.) I would not replace any of those even with the Hope diamond.
 Singleinlewistonidaho
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/13/2010 9:55:13 PM
I bought an engagment ring for 1,200 on sale from 1,900 in 2008. It sold today on ebay for 250.00

Mike
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/14/2010 10:01:51 AM
I *like* good jewelry. Always have, but I'm pretty picky. What *I* don't understand is why anyone would pay good money for leather jackets. . . .

The simplest thing to say is that we are ALL and ALWAYS different from each other. I rather like it: it makes life pretty interesting.

Because of my fondness for good jewelry, when it became a need, I sold it. I call the house I built "the house that earrings built" lol! And rings, and bracelets and antiques. . . . Good trade.

It prolly is a good thing to stay away from artificially created/controlled markets like diamonds. And don't ever pay for *anything* more than you're willing to lose -- that goes for cars, clothing, shelter, art, furniture, travel, food. . . . companionship. . . .

bliss.stars
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/14/2010 8:11:58 PM
i can't staaaaaaaand jewelery...the money spent on jewelery could be put to much better use. i wouldn't be able to justify wearing thousands of dollars.
 barbee1970
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:14:00 PM
There is value in jewelry, but personally I'm just not a fan of jewelry, hats, or even sunglasses
 EvilLolli
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:16:45 PM
Some jewelry is like art. The value is in the design/name, not the materials. When you buy the mass produced, found in everymall jewelry, you are over paying for image(stones/metal). When you buy quality, original, designer pieces, you are making an investment in art/quality.

You don't buy art at Target and expect it to be worth money 10yrs down the line. Same aplies to jewelry.
 arwen52
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:37:00 PM
I like decorating myself a bit but can't see having anything particularly expensive. I don't want to worry about it being lost or stolen. I can think of other ways I'd rather spend the money.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/15/2010 2:22:40 PM
It depends how you define value. Face it - most diamonds sit in a vault all day. A car - it will get you from place to place daily. A house you can live in. I'll spend the medium price for jewelry but that would only be on a few items. I don't like wearing the same thing of anything. What one is willing to pay is none of anyone's business really. The price tag is just that because someone will pay it - or has elsewhere.
 tjrogelio
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 5:09:44 PM
Too many people have died in the conquest of diamonds and gold. I'll never have any use for either.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >