Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Entzauberung
Msg: 34
Will there be snow for the Olympics?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Today VANOC advised to expect security screening at events to require three (3) hours and folks should come early.

A huge network of security cameras has been installed in Vancouver and event venues, complete with permanent monitoring/control facilities.

Officials are saying the cameras are only for the Olympics.

Yes, I think there will be snow for the Olympics and afterwards too, but I'm not referring to white crystalline stuff that falls from clouds.

Its a "Snow job"
 Outdoor2
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Will there be snow for the Olympics?
Posted: 2/1/2010 9:13:18 PM

Officials are saying the cameras are only for the Olympics.

....complete with permanent monitoring/control facilities.

Goodbye borders....welcome to the Amero $

We've been snowed under for years....now that the U.S. Supreme Court has officially sanctioned the Presidency to the highest bidder, corporate influence is now legitimized...

In regards to torch runners....did you know that submissions are sent to the sponsor, who then approves/disapproves of the application, and decides who will bear the torch.

Who else but Coke a Cola....a manufacturer of beverages that have no nutritional qualities whatsoever.

McDonald's is another official supplier...of none other that the three basic food groups....fat, sugar and salt....

Typical diet for many...serious athletes cringe at the thought...

Go figure....
 chinua1
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/1/2010 11:00:31 PM
^^^ If I was on the Olympic team- now way would they be putting me on the McDonalds commercials thats definately not a good example for kids.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 5:45:47 PM
There will be snow!!!!!!!!!!
There is fresh snow up above my place...and Whistler is due North of our hills...fresh, fresh, fresh snow right now.

as for Cypress...well...there is fresh snow there too!!! they are trucking it in from Manning Park today....lol oh gosh!

anyhow... there may be fresh snow up at Cypress too from this mornings snowfall...hope to hell it starts snowing this weekend!
 chinua1
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/3/2010 10:48:53 PM
while on the way to surrey from hope today- I saw some of the dumptrucks loaded with snow heading back to cypress- going way over the speed limit.
I hope it does snow up there- apparently though, the money they had set aside for snow clearing is for just the opposite now
 flowerforce
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/5/2010 4:31:21 PM
I do not care one whit. I think the Olympics are a huge waste to money. That money would be better spent on mental health/health care and the homeless.
 Walts
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/5/2010 5:34:41 PM
I find it amusing the Trucks and Transfers that they are using to move the stuff from Manning.I know how to move earth(or snow) and there are much more productive ways to do so. More than likely they (vanoc????) were able to get the owner/operaters to lower their rate because of the lack of work out there,,,and the drivers can feel good about actually working. They'll be a little peeved next month when they have to pay for their fuel bills thou.

I'm also wondering how much loss of product results from the amount of time on the highway???? I spent last Sunday on the Squamish River and I can't remember a warmer last day of January. Only snow I saw was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up,,,,and just on the peaks.
 chinua1
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/5/2010 5:45:32 PM
Apparently they are using the snow from Manning because it is 'pristine' and will look good on camera. Do you want to ask the owner operators to cut their rate?
Anyway- why not send it by train?
 Outdoor2
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 10:43:07 PM
150 truckloads @$10,000/load.

They are also using the 2nd largest helicopter in the world to transport snow....
at $10,000 an hour!

Why they used Cypress is beyond me...it makes much more logical sense to have all the snow sports at Whistler/Blackcomb.
 Walts
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/7/2010 9:42:17 AM
They may not have snow,,,,but from my fishing experince yesterday I can tell ya they DO HAVE enough coppers out there,,,,and at least a couple of them are "imports". Silly buggers tried to slow down a crazy Irishmen on the highway early yesterday morn. Took them close to 45 minutes that I actually was going fishing that early in the morn and I wasn't trying to figure a way to sneak over a mountain to get into the games before the opening ceremonies.

They actually turned out to have a sense of humour, but still trying to figure out how nuts I really am. What I go thru for to wet a fly.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:25:15 PM

Two days ago, organizers began trucking in snow to Cypress from Manning Park -- almost 260 kilometres away.

"They want as pure as snow as possible and that's where these trucks are taking it. Yesterday there was 34. Today there's I guess 44," Barry Platt of Emil Anderson Maintenance told CTV News.

Once complete, 150 truckloads of snow will have been transported to Cypress at an estimated cost of $150,000.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100203/bc_cypress_helicopter_090203/20100204?hub=BritishColumbia
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/7/2010 11:29:37 PM

I hope there is snow.

We are, whether some like it or not, hosting a world event. I feel rather personal about the world coming to our stunning province and there not being enough snow to go around.

not very many athletic responses in this thread.
 mis~fit
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/8/2010 3:26:37 AM
The Olympic Torch was borne through my city today ~ Abbotsford ~
and the event was simply awesome.

Whistler has plenty of snow, no worries there, but I fervently hope
there will be more of it falling for Cypress. Some of the practice runs
have already had to be re-scheduled there to ensure good conditions
for the first of the events for Cypress.

Go Canada! Go for the Gold!
 Alli_oop
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/8/2010 5:28:28 AM
flame relay hype...just don't get it.
 chinua1
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/8/2010 1:48:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Eamil Anderson Maintenance loading the snow up at Manning- which means paid for by us anyway.
Torch relay- I hope there will be as many people showing up for the Paralympics relay!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:26:45 PM
Will there be snow?

There will be precipitation at least.

Global TV reports that extremely heavy rain is forecasted for the opening ceremonies.

They also report that 15 mm of rain is predicted to fall on Cypress Mountain.

I remember from a hydrology course that rain on snow accelerates the rate of snow melt, because some of the kinetic energy from the falling rain is converted to heat.

Maybe VANOC should be selling Olympic-branded ponchos, umbrellas, galoshes and rubber boots, instead of mittens and toques.
 chinua1
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/9/2010 10:18:31 AM
calgary 88- they had to bring in snow too.
Maybe this will get rid of the Canadian stereotype? You know, the one- we all live in igloos and drive dogsleds?
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/9/2010 11:15:40 AM
Gee... who'da thunk there could ever be snow issues in Vancouver?
 unleashed27
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 12:29:50 PM

Maybe this will get rid of the Canadian stereotype? You know, the one- we all live in igloos and drive dogsleds

Yes, I agree with the above. I was chatting online with someone from SE USA and I told her I was from Vancouver and her reply was.. brrrr.. guess it is cold there?? I had to explain to her about Cypress mountain and our bad luck this year. Too funny
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 4:22:23 PM
It was snowing on all the North Shore hills this morning @10am....and as the Torch Relay made it's way from Deep Cove to Lynn Valley....to a crowd of thousands in the drizzling rain....we all looked up at Grouse and Fromme and Seymour from Torch Central and could see the snow line moving lower and lower....so....yup....

I hope as hell Cypress is getting snow right now.....mind you it will be covering up all that trucked in pristine Manning Park snow....lol
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:00:09 PM
were you allowed to carry umbrellas to the torch relay?
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:12:10 PM
We wore our Canadian Maple Leaf summer umbrella hats.... you know the ones..the goofy pop-up umbrellas you wear as a hat to shade yourself...they work great ifor the North Shore rainforest dew!! ...yes....this we are in the middle of our 8 month Rainy Season up here..... we call it heavy dew.
 rureally4me
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:17:32 PM

pssst pssst...it's snowing as we speak on Cypress right now...don't know where abouts...but, the Cypress website, says it's snowing, on them ther hills!!!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/23/2010 8:17:06 AM
I think it is a good thing there is snow and also ice for the Olympics.

I am glad I had the opportunity to watch a re-broadcast of Olympic ice dance competition last night. I don't normally watch ice dance or figure skating but heard it was good.

The performance by Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir was mesquite, spell binding flawless and beautuifu. So happy that they won Gold for Canada. They deserved it!

▌♥ ▌ Go Team Canada!! ▌♥ ▌
 whitetigeress
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/23/2010 8:47:22 AM
I felt the speed at which Virtue and Moir executed their movements was, for lack of better words, amazing!
My mouth literally dropped as I watched them seamlessly transcend each movement up to the air and back down to the ice.
congrats to the team on winning gold
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >