Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Will there be snow for the Olympics?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 boatswamper
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Will there be snow for the Olympics?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Once complete, 150 truckloads of snow will have been transported to Cypress at an estimated cost of $150,000.
My math makes that $1000 per load, not $10,000 as you stated, but your math may differ.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Will there be snow for the Olympics?
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:23:30 AM

makes that $1000 per load

that seems extremely low cost considering they are hauling truckloads over 200 km and need to use heavy equipment to load the trucks, push the snow together and unload and distribute where it is needed
 chinua1
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/8/2010 1:48:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Eamil Anderson Maintenance loading the snow up at Manning- which means paid for by us anyway.
Torch relay- I hope there will be as many people showing up for the Paralympics relay!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:26:45 PM
Will there be snow?

There will be precipitation at least.

Global TV reports that extremely heavy rain is forecasted for the opening ceremonies.

They also report that 15 mm of rain is predicted to fall on Cypress Mountain.

I remember from a hydrology course that rain on snow accelerates the rate of snow melt, because some of the kinetic energy from the falling rain is converted to heat.

Maybe VANOC should be selling Olympic-branded ponchos, umbrellas, galoshes and rubber boots, instead of mittens and toques.
 chinua1
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/9/2010 10:18:31 AM
calgary 88- they had to bring in snow too.
Maybe this will get rid of the Canadian stereotype? You know, the one- we all live in igloos and drive dogsleds?
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/9/2010 11:15:40 AM
Gee... who'da thunk there could ever be snow issues in Vancouver?
 unleashed27
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 12:29:50 PM

Maybe this will get rid of the Canadian stereotype? You know, the one- we all live in igloos and drive dogsleds

Yes, I agree with the above. I was chatting online with someone from SE USA and I told her I was from Vancouver and her reply was.. brrrr.. guess it is cold there?? I had to explain to her about Cypress mountain and our bad luck this year. Too funny
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 4:22:23 PM
It was snowing on all the North Shore hills this morning @10am....and as the Torch Relay made it's way from Deep Cove to Lynn Valley....to a crowd of thousands in the drizzling rain....we all looked up at Grouse and Fromme and Seymour from Torch Central and could see the snow line moving lower and lower....so....yup....

I hope as hell Cypress is getting snow right now.....mind you it will be covering up all that trucked in pristine Manning Park snow....lol
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:00:09 PM
were you allowed to carry umbrellas to the torch relay?
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:12:10 PM
We wore our Canadian Maple Leaf summer umbrella hats.... you know the ones..the goofy pop-up umbrellas you wear as a hat to shade yourself...they work great ifor the North Shore rainforest dew!! ...yes....this we are in the middle of our 8 month Rainy Season up here..... we call it heavy dew.
 rureally4me
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:17:32 PM

pssst pssst...it's snowing as we speak on Cypress right now...don't know where abouts...but, the Cypress website, says it's snowing, on them ther hills!!!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/23/2010 8:17:06 AM
I think it is a good thing there is snow and also ice for the Olympics.

I am glad I had the opportunity to watch a re-broadcast of Olympic ice dance competition last night. I don't normally watch ice dance or figure skating but heard it was good.

The performance by Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir was mesquite, spell binding flawless and beautuifu. So happy that they won Gold for Canada. They deserved it!

▌♥ ▌ Go Team Canada!! ▌♥ ▌
 whitetigeress
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/23/2010 8:47:22 AM
I felt the speed at which Virtue and Moir executed their movements was, for lack of better words, amazing!
My mouth literally dropped as I watched them seamlessly transcend each movement up to the air and back down to the ice.
congrats to the team on winning gold
 Entzauberung
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/23/2010 9:08:51 AM
Correction of typo.

The performance by Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir was exquisite, spell binding flawless and beautiful. So happy that they won Gold for Canada. They deserved it!
 Alli_oop
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/23/2010 9:45:07 AM
I hate ice dancing and didn't see it, but i heard about it. good for them.
 chinua1
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/23/2010 2:42:52 PM
Yay Tessa & Scott Twizzles are hard- especially that many of them!
North America #1 & 2 I'm hoping that will cheer up the Canadian team- now time to cheer on Joannie; especially after losing her mom
 Outdoor2
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2010 9:56:46 PM
Gold in womens snowboard cross

Gold in womens ski cross

Both under adverse conditions....

Canadian women rock!
 chinua1
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/25/2010 3:32:59 PM
Bronze in longtrack 5000m
Gold & Silver in 2 woman bobsleigh
silver in short track speed
yeah they do rock! today we go for gold in hockey, and Joannie has a good chance at a medal
 rockondon
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:30:59 PM

Will there be snow for the olympics?

Yes - there's plenty of snow.
Sadly its a different kind of snow - the kind that goes up the nose of all those who profited from the billions our province spent to host the olympics here.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/25/2010 5:35:09 PM

One more Gold medal for Team Canada!!

Canadian Women ousted the US team in the and got the Gold Medal.

2:0 shutout.

Those gals can play!

Great hockey, great game!

▌♥ ▌ Go Team Canada!! ▌♥ ▌

Entzauberung
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:07:58 AM
Did you see the faces of the Canada Mens Hockey team after the women won the gold last night?

Other than the US and Finland teams and fans who didn't share the joy the whole arena was jubilant. However when the TV camera panned across them the mens team just silently looked on.

No smiles, no "high-fives"... nothing.

Okay, perhaps they were focused on their game tonight, but I expected the men to share the joy and pride of the victory of their fellow Canadians.
 Herding Cats
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2010 10:58:27 AM
Yeah, I saw that and wondered who they were cheering for.

Our Olympics have turned out to be amazing and I'm very proud of the residents that have come out in force to support the teams from all of the countries and party and have fun.

It's been amazing and I see good things in the future for Vancouver, this province and for all of Canada thanks to the amazing showcase that has been provided. Sure, it got off to a rocky start. I was in one of the first of the California buses that had no business trying to make it up to Cypress. And who will ever forget the poor kid who died chasing his dream on that luge track. Or the cowards in masks smashing things downtown under the umbrella of Freedom of Speech...

But... our quiet patritic nature has effectively squashed that. The sunshine brought the crowds, the truckloads of snow kept most events going on schedule, and the volunteers and security have been friendly and fantastic.

Plus... The Westend is finally quiet for once ;)
 Walts
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/26/2010 2:37:33 PM

Okay, perhaps they were focused on their game tonight, but I expected the men to share the joy and pride of the victory of their fellow Canadians.

There goal has yet to be achieved,,,,,and along with the unmeasurable pressure that they feel from this country, the time for celebration is far far away. They do and have shared the joy and pride of ALL Canadian athletes,,,,,but you do have to give them their space at the moment. Bet ya if you saw the women's faces two evenings ago during "wonderful Wednesday" you wouldn't have seen them jumping up and down for the athletes that had a good day. They would have had the same determination in their eyes that the men had yesterday.

It's surprising what a lot of people "expect" outta these athletes at times. It reminds that this is why these athletes are "special" in more than one way.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2010 6:24:05 PM
^^^^^ ??????????
and every one is their fellow man/woman's judge

I wonder what all this has to do with snow (not the trucked in kind) for the Olympics

andiedandie
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/26/2010 7:19:31 PM
Mountain.... Come on...when has a thead every been known to stay on topic! lol

Let it Snow Let it Snow Let it Snow.... Just as long as there's no more pissing contests in the threads... and if there is... Dont eat the yellow snow!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Will there be snow for the Olympics?