Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Alcohol and Baby-Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OldFolkie
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-BoomersPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
^^^^ Very true. This is not a beer belly. It is a "portable liquid grain storage device".

jbogie
Msg: 27
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/27/2009 8:39:30 PM
This thread reminds me of the time where I went to meet up with a chap. The bag I was carrying got banged up against my car and my vodka bottle broke. I quickly removed my panythose in order to strain all the good stuff into my Tim Horton's cup! Waste not, want not!

hey moonchild my sweet. what'd you do with those pantyhose. i'll pay the shipping.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/27/2009 10:14:01 PM
I am not much of a drinker. I think the lasht dwink wazabot a week or two 'go. Butz it wa wa wwazz jusht a lidda uh jusht uh lidda it wazza small one. Bud I dunt ger-ink zo mush 'ny more. know whaa I mean?

But I am a beer snob. I don't remember the last time I drank horse wizz, er Bud or it's ilk. If that is the only choice I go with water. Gimme a boutique brew, a micro-brew, and I'm content. Favorites are oatmeal stouts, or other darks. Belgian whites (Beltian White - a wheat beer, is also a good choice.

One thing I don't do much is drink in public. Lost a girl friend, rather a lady who was a friend, to a drunk back in '75. Kathy's memory is still fresh.

I don't know how to answer the OP's assertion. I have no point of reference. I don't hang around places where there is much drinking. When I last dated I didn't do much drinking then either. Further, since alcohol makes you stupid, and that was the last impression I wanted to give, I favored iced teas and sodas when on a date.

I think that is the habit I would follow when dating becomes an issue again.

Nodding off,

TK
{I have two cases of Slo Elk from Big Sky Brewery just awaiting my taste buds downstairs in the bomb shelter. Salute! Nastrovia!}
 Moooocow
Msg: 29
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/28/2009 1:06:34 AM

It helps us to remember what we used to look like.....................LOL

Hahaha, Or to forget what we do look like or feel like or that death is closer ?

When I'm on a date , I like to drink my whole weeks worth of booze at once so that I don't have to say that I drink more than three times per week on my POF profile
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/28/2009 3:10:56 AM
went dancing tonite, as the band is one of my favorites. i usually see them when i'm on a date. this time i went "solo".

it seemed an older crowd and everyone was "plastered". danced with one very "pretty" guy who was so impressed with himself and so boozed, i thought he would float away. he had no clue. spent the rest of the evening talking to this "milfer". after explaining to him and the bartender (his buddy) that i'm old enough to be his grandmother (mother didn't work)--AND it was NOT a compliment to be considered "hot" or a "cougar" by all older women nowadays-- the kid stopped persisting. well, actually, i first threatened to tell his mother (my usual line)! so, with that very clear and out of the way, we sat and talked about his ex girlfriend problems.

now, why did i do this? he was the only half sober one in the joint!

didn't realize it was this bad. i usually go with friends in their 40's and 50's, who appear to remain relatively civil. this was more of a 50's-60's crowd--of course "everyone" looked younger! the usual line around here. for me, it was rather scarey. not that i was afraid physically, but i started to do the math. how many other people out there are this blasted? or was this just the particular crowd? i would hate to bank my dating career on meeting people like this, when venturing out in the "real world".
 ketch
Msg: 31
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/28/2009 4:53:14 AM
actually, I notice the opposite. Binge drinking is up according to the surveys I've read about in the U.K. and in North America. However that's usually among the young.

As for the 45-60 group. I am continually amazed at the number of AA members in the populace these days. Most of them, seem to be older.

Ketch
 WindRoper
Msg: 32
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/28/2009 6:56:38 AM

after explaining to him and the bartender (his buddy) that i'm old enough to be his grandmother (mother didn't work)--AND it was NOT a compliment to be considered "hot" or a "cougar" by all older women nowadays

Oh Lawdy! I met one like that about a year ago. Gorgeous, baby-faced Marine recently returned home from Iraq. He was doing hand-stand pushups (in the bar!). I guess he thought if he could get me drunk enuf I'd allow him to take me home. Nope! We were in my tee-totaling friend's car. LOL! But he bought this drink for me... called it a "Cowboy Killer." Yep! I killed it alright. Thanked him, turned around, and walked (not weaved) out the door.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/28/2009 7:47:19 AM

how many other people out there are this blasted? or was this just the particular crowd?

I've noticed some of the same things you've apparently noticed. The BBs are now leading the other age groups in terms of handling the liquor. They're drinking significantly more than the 25- 45 age group. That's not a value judgment.....I just find it interesting.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/28/2009 7:49:43 AM
Op? I have to say that I think it is the online dating thing going on.
This and other sites are enough to make a saint drink!!! They out to do a survey based on that!

Sorry, negativity breeds negativity. I will crawl back under my rock now!
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/28/2009 10:19:10 AM
ketch, it depends on the area. here, younger kids prefer NA to AA if the AA group does not allow them to include "drugs" in their discussion. it varies by group and geographic area. but, today it is rare to see mono dependency with the younger crowd. as the old timer's die out, it probably won't matter as much. many do both and more and more are now double winners or tripple winners. double would be after getting clean and sober, going to al anon for family members and friends of those who drink excessively. triple? join overeaters, as an example.

the binge drinking amongst the kids interests (and worries) me. many grow up and stop, but some do not get to the "other side". i see my little one starting to do that when out with her private school friends. i didn't realize it was a fad. what's up with that? they think they can go to school and work in between? my first husband was a binge drinker and back then it was uncommon. the hardest to detect! however, where i live, heart of the old hippy movement, it appears that way more are drunk and stoned, than i have ever seen before. plus, there are date rape drugs. now the girls are giving them to the boys!

people worried about the economy? if we keep it up, we'll have little to offer in terms of competition in the international economy. unless, they are doing the same in china and india?

here, the kids are often given the drugs by their parents, solid and professional citizens! so, maybe they are rebelling by doing it less!
 Walts
Msg: 36
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:14:34 PM
I only drink one drink,,,whiskey. Yeps thats it,,,but it has to be good whiskey. Good whiskey = the whiskey that is in my glass. Yeps thats it.I'm freaking Irish, so give me a break!!!

Honestly, I think it's all relative. Just because you are in a bar with older patrons and all you see is older people drinking(who would of thunk it???) doesn't mean there isn't a 100 times the amount of older people NOT in that bar and NOT drinking at that very moment. Certain places will reflect certain things. Hang around drinkers and you will see drinkers. Hang around pot smokers, and you'll smell skunk. It isn't rocket science.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:23:11 PM

If anything, it seems younger people drink more, tend to go clubbing and party a lot more.

I agree that the younger crowd go to bars and clubs more, but (contrasted with the BBs), I'm finding that the younger crowd actually drink less. The BBs are less prevalent in the clubs, bars, and pubs.....they go to more house parties and park outings; but the liquor flows more. BBs don't tend to fly out of control or act like idiots while drinking, though....that's a huge plus.
 2gingertwo
Msg: 38
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:42:01 PM
Kudos to you. I am in that age group also and can tell you that working for the Medical Examiner's Office, the 20 to 50 group are into pills. More parents have buried more children in this era then ever before. I am seeing autopsies on 2o year old due to drug abuse which mimicks heart disease, so their cause of death is due to Arteriosclerosis but due to drug abuse. Pill popping babies. No alcohol in their system but 4 to 6 different drugs.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:47:50 PM
^^Good insight! Thank you.
 Walts
Msg: 40
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:47:58 PM
^^^^^ BUT are those pills NOT legal??????
 2gingertwo
Msg: 41
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 1:59:15 PM
I am with you sister. After 3, night night, I lose interest.
 floridanuthouse1
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:03:36 PM
No, I used to be able to stay out all night drinking and dancing. Not any more. A margarita or two with a meal and I'm at my limit.
 2gingertwo
Msg: 43
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:06:38 PM
Wake up call for you. Our youth are living a much faster passed life and some do not have both parents. Pills are easy, you cannot smell them and as we all did when we were 24, we all had the world by the a**. So give a call to your local Medical Examiner Office and ask how many drug related deaths they have had in a any given month, public information, wake up to the children. They are in trouble, they are hurting. Some will be brought in for asphyxia, hanging themselves, gunshot wound to the head, all of them had pills on board. my neighbor who is 65 years old has offered my young neighbor across the street his Loritabs to buy.
 SueCat51
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:16:44 PM
I haven't noticed. I'm not into bar hopping. I may have a glass or 2 of wine during the course of the evening. No matter what age, there is a double standard when it comes to drinking.

As far as drugs, the biggest abuse of drugs is prescription drugs. I think Michael Jackson & Anna Nicole Smith are prime examples. They are too easy to get, and there's no checks & balances in the medical community.
 Me Leona
Msg: 45
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 3:03:23 PM

Where I live the bars are filled with single men and women in their 40's through 80's and the bartenders and servers are all mostly young attractive men and women. It appears that the older customers, especially women, from my observations, drink the most. Depends on the establishment though. There's a restaurant that has a band that attracts a younger crowd, I've noticed it gets very loud and crowded, but they usually have cops milling about to prevent people from leaving with drinks (or other things).

I love wine and drink it at home with dinner or if I go out with friends but usually don't touch the harder stuff. I've been single long enough to know I'm not missing anything if I stay home on Saturday night, as I never expect to meet anyone "out drinking" nor do I want to. I do prefer to date someone who also would enjoy wine with dinner, or who it's not a big deal to, that I drink, and yes, if they'd keep me "otherwise occupied" that would be nice.

(Too bad Jim lives so far away)

vvv I'm not currenty 'dating' either Ron but I never forget what goes well with my meals! ;)
 Ron9
Msg: 46
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 3:13:37 PM
I don't "date" so ..... I don't drink more than others on dates.

With the exception of a few times as as kid ....... I never have drank much.

Even cola ...... I have a can of cola about once every other week or so.

I have a glass of wine ....... maybe one time a month .... or not.

BUT .......... yeah I could enjoy jabbering and having too many manhattan drinks with someone.

I actually like to drink some ....... I just never really think about it ... I "forget" to drink lol.

For dinner (yes I am sick of my own cooking) I usually have water or ice tea or ...... water with lemon.

I am actually proud of myself, when I remember that some wine with pasta or pizza is kind of nice.
 MAGIC_MARCO
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 3:48:18 PM
I very seldom , go for coffee meetings. I prefer to sit at a bar with someone and socialize with a drink or two . Most times , the ladies are very reserved and have one drink. Mostly , they're worried about driving back home and DUI's...But not always!

I met up with a woman at a bar/restaurant a couple of years ago, who was very close to my age. Her daughter was married to the lead singer of a Rock and Roll cover band, so she was no stranger to staying out past 9 pm. Anyway , somehow we got to drinking doubles of Cuervo Gold. She decided right then and THERE, she wanted to "suck face ' with me ,right in the bar. (her words, not mine).

Ever since then , I learned to stick with what works!

Now ,don't anybody get their panties all in a wad and say I took advantage of the situation.
I was just kidding with that line.

(or was I?)
 Me Leona
Msg: 48
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 4:04:55 PM

Ever since then , I learned to stick with what works!

There's also a saying "if it works, don't fix it." She wanted to suck face, you were OK with that... wondering how the "somehow we got to drinking doubles of Cuervo Gold" came about though. I've dated men who encourage drinking too, thinking it'll make things "easier" with me BUT...

Been thinking I'd save quite a bit of money if I drank less wine. I don't buy expensive wine BUT it does add up, and I could never drink anything that I didn't LIKE, it matters what kind it is and I have to like it, otherwise I won't drink it. Most house wines in bars aren't very good at all.

vvvvv RanRan, in case you're talkin' 'bout me, don't have a BOB, never had a BOB, and I certainly don't need alcohol to get laid (if I wanted to), and even if you're not talking about me, that's a really nasty thing to say. Just sounds so "misogynistic."
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 49
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 4:26:11 PM
MeLeona said,
I do prefer to date someone who also would enjoy wine with dinner, or who it's not a big deal to, that I drink, and yes, if they'd keep me "otherwise occupied" that would be nice.

And lets not forgets to lite a few candles with dinner and a good bottle of wine to accent the occasion...

(Too bad Jim lives so far away)

daffie
Msg: 50
Alcohol and Baby-Boomers
Posted: 8/29/2009 5:06:53 PM
RanRan that is so funneeee.....

you had me looking around my bedroom for the camera.....lol

batteries.....batteries......i need new batteries!

never mind,
a baileys will do it for me......
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Alcohol and Baby-Boomers