Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 on a wire
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
When I was younger we used to have to run 5 miles with 80lbs... military... don't wear regular jogging/running style shoes... wear flat bottom sneakers like skate-boarders...J
 hawksta
Msg: 36
Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?
Posted: 9/13/2009 1:15:41 AM
I run around with a flak jacket loaded with SAPPI plates (body armor) from time to time. its about 25-30 pounds.
 Edsta
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/13/2009 8:15:11 AM

don't wear regular jogging/running style shoes... wear flat bottom sneakers like skate-boarders...

Yup, most regular running shoes have way too much cushioning, esp. in the big clunky heels, and end up making your feet weak and stupid, very prone to injuries. There is a growing number of folks who are taking up minimalist and barefoot running just for that reason:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/business/30shoe.html?_r=1&th=&emc=th&pagewanted=all
 joycecic
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/14/2009 5:44:40 AM
i have used one of these weighted vest on a stair machine and it improved my workout...i am thinking about doing it again but i get a lot of looks.
 Edsta
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/14/2009 7:07:50 PM

No, the problem with runners is that over the years they smash their bodyweight onto the ground hundreds of thousands of times through all the strides, and triple the equivalent of your actual bodyweight travels through your knees when you do that.

Those are the runners who are clueless about correct technique and who have been duped by the shoe industry into wearing the wrong kind of shoes.

Unfortunately, that's about 80% of runners out there.
 Edsta
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/15/2009 4:05:34 AM
^ Sorry, I call BS.

There are plenty of runners who've been running for 20, 30, 40 years and have no joint injuries. Some of them could run circles around people 1/2 or 1/3 their age.

Unless you yourself have used these alternative techniques and unconventional approach to shoes, you know nothing of what you speak.
 Edsta
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/15/2009 3:37:48 PM
^ I'll put it very simply:

1. Run the way most noobs run: big 14oz. marshmallow-type overbuilt clunky "stability" shoes with a half dozen gizmos and gimmicks inside, hard heel strike, foot lands way ahead of the body, upper body rigid, arms pumping, fists clenched, knees locked out just before impact, bouncing up and then heaving forward, torso 90 degrees to the ground, face in a fixed grimace as if you haven't had a decent bowel movement in two weeks.

2. Run the way a more educated/coached runner would: lightweight, highly flexible neutral shoes with reduced or minimal soles, soft midfoot strike, foot lands under or slightly behind the body, upper body relaxed, arms relaxed, hands relaxed, knees always bent, short strides but high cadence, zero bouncing, all movement is horizontal in a smooth easy flow, torso leans slightly forward so that each step feels like you are falling forward, and you have an easy relaxed smile on your face.

Runner #2 is most likely going to continue running well into old age, without any joint injuries, and with total enjoyment.

Runner #1 is most likely going to get injured and/or feel totally miserable and inept while running, which he will blame on the sport than on the fact of his own ignorance which is the true cause of his problems.

Your assertions are based entirely on Runner #1.

If you want to get a glimpse at the very different alternative universe of Runner #2, I recommend you read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/business/30shoe.html?_r=1&th=&emc=th&pagewanted=all
 haildestroyer
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/16/2009 1:13:10 AM
Running with a weighted vest is only going to lead to joint problems down the road.

And running is high impact on the joints which isn't a problem if one isn't over training or has injuries I have found as far as injuries down the road? Like anything if you don't take it easy now and then you're going to have issues. I mean look at power lifters, now they get injuries.
 Edsta
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/16/2009 3:57:41 AM

Number 2 is basically describing powerwalking.

(Faceplant)

Dude, before you continue to embarass yourself further, I suggest you do a little homework and Google:

Chi running
Pose technique
Evolution running
Minimalist running
Barefoot running
 Edsta
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/16/2009 4:20:39 PM
^ There is NO "explosive impact," that's the whole point---you would know this if you could ever bring yourself to actually try any of these methods for yourself before mindlessly regurgitating the sadly uninformed conventional-wisdom/mythology of the shoe industry and medical establishment.

Thank you for your well wishes, in any case.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/16/2009 5:26:34 PM
Running with a weighted vest is only going to lead to joint problems down the road.

Agreed.

As any extra weight is going to increase the load on the joints.

That extra weight can also be in the forum of muscle.

That is why I would say if you are body building and packing on extra muscle you stand to do more damage to your joints by participating in any activity that involves running.

Extra weight is just that, your body does not care if it is fat or muscle.

Humans evolved as runners. Our ability to run long distances is one of the reasons that we thrived and are here today to talk about it.

Most kids born today start wearing shoes at a young age which hinders their ability to naturally adapt to running barefoot or close to it, but the technique can be trained and taught and is still practised today by many tribes around the world and some of the distances they run and the type of races they complete in make marathons look like sprints.

Man can not improve on what millions of years of evolution has provided us, but we sure are good at thinking we can.
 Edsta
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/17/2009 3:12:46 PM
^ This MIGHT be true if you're referring to an elite marathoner who runs 26.2 miles at a 5:30 pace. For the vast majority of recreational runners who fall in the 7:30-10:30 range, running with the soft efficient techniques I listed would entail a fraction of the impact of the typical conventionally pounding, heel-striking runner.

Again, you would know this if you were a runner who had weaned yourself off of heel-striking.
 Edsta
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/18/2009 1:54:50 AM
^ LOL as you get older and wiser you'll learn the difference between training HARD and training SMART...basically not using a sledgehammer to kill a fly, otherwise known as EFFICIENCY.

Frankly I doubt you could run 26.2 miles at even a 10:30 pace, since you are clearly not even a runner to begin with.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 48
Running with a weighted vest.. tip!!
Posted: 10/18/2009 11:22:05 AM

...I do wonder why on earth someone would waste that amount of time running at a slow pace in a straight line. Have these people never heard of real metabolic conditioning? One can only assume that the reason someone would run that far would be A) to lose fat, or B) to get 'fit' (what most people would consider the term to mean, i.e. improved cardiovascular function). Why these people don't just educate themselves on metabolic work is beyond me.... start throwing in Tabata, HIIT and complexes a few times a week and you will be in better condition in every conceivable way than by running long distances....

For one I would say anyone that can average a sub 6min per mile pace for ~26miles is not just slumping along.

But how do you measure who is more fit?

It really depends on how you test them.

I see it like cars.

There are drag cars that are very fast for short periods of time in perfect conditions.

There are cars that are not as fast top end, but go further and through harder conditions.

There are cars that travel over roads that are almost impossible for very long periods of time.

You can not say that one car is any better than the other, you can only say that each one of those cars is better suited for the track that they where built for.

I see people the same way, some peoples bodies are better suited for long distances and some for short bursts and some for all out strength.

One is not better than the other, they are just different.
 Edsta
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/18/2009 11:35:44 AM
Squelchmeister,

You know, the funny thing here is that you're not STUPID, you're just hopelessly SIMPLISTIC.

In other words: you are fundamentally unable to make simple DISTINCTIONS, because you have all the mental subtlety of a ten year old. Sorry, I know that sounds harsh but it's what you've demonstrated time and again in this thread, though I don't doubt that you're probably a generally nice person and do know something about the kind of (mostly) vanity-motivated fitness training that you do.

But trying to educate you about alternative approaches to running makes about as much sense as trying to discuss the Kama Sutra with a virgin. While you claim to have "once" been a distance runner, from your comically embarassing lack of knowledge that you've displayed here, I honestly find that very hard to believe. I mean, you didn't even know the difference between heel-striking vs. midfoot-striking...holy cow, that is just frickin' HILARIOUS.

LOL...but because I have been known to have a twisted sense of humor, I think I'll persist in this Sisyphean endeavor, just for sh*ts and giggles.

So, let's see if I can plant a few seeds in that hermetically sealed noggin of yours:

1. Everyone does not engage in exercise solely out of narcissism or vanity. (gasp!)

2. Some people choose to do something like RUNNING just because it FEELS good and they ENJOY it! (gasp!)

3. Some people choose to RUN at whatever pace or distance they like, rather than feeling bad that they are not trying to run as fast as the elite runners. (gasp!) Just like there are lots of folks who lift weights but have no desire to look anything like Jay Cutler. Not all of us have such pathetic little egos. (Double gasp!)

4. Some of these people in #3 adopt certain BIOMECHANIC TECHNIQUES that allow them to run for decades WITHOUT suffering the kind of joint injuries that the medical establishment keeps warning will befall ANYBODY who takes up running. (Said medical establishment being 90% NON-runners and 99% IGNORANT of those alternative ways of running.)

5. Due to #1, 2, and 3, very few non-professional distance runners have the kind of extremely wiry bodies that ignorant/lazy people like to imagine ALL distance runners have. You would know this if you were ever anywhere near a marathon, or even a half-marathon. But it's obvious that you've just been blowing smoke out of your @ss this entire thread when pushing the idiotic myth that running by definition causes joint injuries.
 Edsta
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/18/2009 12:31:32 PM
I don't consider calling someone "simplistic" to be a personal insult, and it wasn't meant in that vein. Chances are that if we met in a bar and didn't discuss running, we'd probably get along just fine over a couple of beers, lol.

Anyway, I'm glad you're finally opening your mind to the possibility of running NOT being an inevitable cause of joint injuries. A LITTLE bit of backtracking is better than none at all. It suggests that there's some hope for you yet.

Now, I've never seen the London Marathon---but every race that I've seen and been in, has featured a very diverse range of body types. The elite/pro competitors are mostly ectomorphs, but the other 90% are a different story. This holds true for marathons, half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks.

You claim not to be predominantly motivated by vanity, yet in the last couple of your posts you've been using the "but runners are sickly thin" argument in order to excuse your obvious lack of experience and knowledge about running. Not bad diversionary tactic, I have to admit.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2009 1:03:00 PM

You know, the funny thing here is that you're not STUPID, you're just hopelessly SIMPLISTIC.

In other words: you are fundamentally unable to make simple DISTINCTIONS, because you have all the mental subtlety of a ten year old.

I don't consider calling someone "simplistic" to be a personal insult, and it wasn't meant in that vein.

I wouldn't even argue with you Edsta because I admittedly don't run, and you seem to know what you're talking about but c'mon.... not personal insults?
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/18/2009 1:18:04 PM

Most distance runners are skinnier and weaker than almost every other type of recreational athlete. Again, it's not inevitable, but it is likely. As for your assumption about me never being near a marathon, I was at the London Marathon last year cheering a couple of people I know on, and my observation there reflected my opinion compared to what I have seen in every single gym or amateur sports event (including local racket courts and that sort of thing) I have been to.

A marathon runner does not have much muscle mass because he is weaker, its due to his training as his body has adapted itself in the most efficient fashion.

You can not determine someones fitness by the way they look.

Take a look at Bike Racers in the Tour De France.

Sprinters will be larger than climbers.

Some racers will transition from a sprinter to a climber.

One main thing that will happen to their bodies is it will shed excess muscle.

Their fitness stays the same, but essentially they just re tuned the engine for greater fuel economy.

They are no less of an athlete because they carry less muscle.

The more muscle you have the more energy you need to output just to use it.

So then you must find that balance of how much muscle to too much and what is not enough and that is a totally personal choice as their is no right or wrong reason.

Two main factors that determined your fitness.

Strength

VO2

Power lifting is the extreme of one and ultra endurance events are the extreme of the other.

Trying to compare the two is futile.

There are marathon runners that could not bench 100% of their body weight and their are power lifters that could not run 1 mile.
 Edsta
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/19/2009 7:52:41 AM
^ Squelch, I hereby nominate you for a long career in politics.
 Edsta
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/19/2009 9:57:30 AM
^ This thread is useless w/o pics.
 Edsta
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/30/2009 10:48:59 AM
Must-read article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html?_r=1&em
 efrain88
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/1/2009 8:15:21 PM
ive seen this before, i think its ridiculous.
 HO2
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/1/2009 10:28:34 PM
Adventure racers do it all the time - it's called a backpack !
If you add up all the required gear for most races, plus water in the Camelback = weighted vest.
Racing along the sand dunes in Muskegon, Michigan really was an a.s.s.kicker, very tough.

You wear the "weight" the entire day and even carry other stuff like portaging canoes,
throwing a bike on your shoulder, performing other tasks , etc., etc.
 ffryan
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:25:45 AM
Unless you a professional athlete, running with a weighted vest is a bad idea. It will increase your athletic performance, but at the expense of your knees, lower body joints and back.
 HO2
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/2/2009 1:00:45 PM
Stay home, on the couch, sitting very still--your joints will last forever....not !
Everything adds wear and tear, from weightlifting, to yoga, pilates, gymnastics, dance, step training..ad naseum

Resistance training by its very nature is part of the tear down and build up process.
Use your head, think, study, do and begin it all with moderation and common sense.

Competitiveness is inherent in animal species, humans included.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?