Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Helios1971
Msg: 25
THE RECORDING ENGINEER'S THREADPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I have a very basic recording setup...essentially a home PC with Cubase SX 3, with an M-Audio interface and an assortment of mics, preamps and other hardware & software. I'm looking to upgrade to one of those Presonus interfaces so I can use multiple mics to record drums as well. It's a fun learning experience, and I think I'm getting a decent hang of it so far.
 punkplayin
Msg: 26
THE RECORDING ENGINEER'S THREAD
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:56:48 PM
ok..so say i wanna record on my computer..whats a good decent setup for recording then?..cuz right now i just use audacity with a mic that runs into the soundcard..but if i wanna get at least a good demo sound recorded what would i need??..doesnt have to be like cd studio quality..but something decent that doesnt sound like ya tried to record it using a pc mic...any suggestions??
 Brian85BC
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/17/2008 1:50:01 AM
This is my same question. (explained a little better) Ive got a pc with Protools 7.3 LE and the mbox2. Ive got a good mic and I have the program installed and everything set up.

Im trying to figure out how you record with an acoustic guitar. Ive tried already and the mic wont pick anything up. In the user guide the only info is about connecting electric guitars or acoustics with a pick-up into the mbox.

Does anyone know how to record with a regular acoustic on this type of equipment
 ComposingLife
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/17/2008 7:13:25 AM
I am cuurently waiting on my firebox to come in tomorrow, i'm using the line 6 toneport right now but it sucks balls, so I'm upgrading to something with better quality.

My firebox comes with a free 250 dollar condenser mic which is pretty awesome ;). spend 300 on 530 bucks lol.

I'm going to experiment with miking because I'm thinking about going to recording school so I figure I should get some more experience with stuff.

I have an SM58 also.

I'm curious though, is a condenser mic good for metal vocals? I've always used my SM58 but I wonder if the condenser with a pop filter will be cleaner...
 Helios1971
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/17/2008 8:59:07 AM
For punkplayin and Brian85BC, I highly recommend checking out the following guide:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

The short answer is that if you're just recording into a sound card, like a soundblaster or something, then you'll probably want to pick up a USB, Firewire, or PCI audio interface for your PC or Mac. You can find examples of these at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/computer-hardware-recording-cards-audio-interfaces?N=100001+304891
 AvidArteest
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/17/2008 4:11:01 PM
It seems like a lifetime ago when I went to recording school.

I hated recording other people's visions...

I wanted to do my own stuff.

I used one of Rolling Stones old mixing board's.

It is old, but it sounded sweet.
 PopDisaster
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/7/2008 12:57:15 AM
I'm going to school in a recording industry program, but I just started and I'm not sure on what gear to buy to start out. I'm looking to do post production work mostly. Any recommendations?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >