Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > At what age do you Just Give Up?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chazzc1980
Msg: 451
At what age do you Just Give Up?Page 19 of 38    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38)
Wow, some of the posts on this page of the thread kind of hammer home the point that it's near impossible to find someone in this "me" generation, it get's pretty depressing after reading things like "I want Mr./Mrs. Perfect and he/she doesn't exist here" or "the person I want isn't interested in me". As I've gotten older I've learned that maybe sometimes what you want isn't always what's best for you. I'll just quote some song lyrics that come to mind when I read those kinds of comments, thank you Rolling Stones...

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need"
 DomG79
Msg: 452
At what age do you Just Give Up?
Posted: 6/11/2012 6:32:39 AM
I'm 33, and I feel I've given up. I'm not sire if anyone gives up completely though.
 Jaimes004
Msg: 453
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:22:20 AM
Would all of you like some cheese with your whine.....SHEESH!

The pessimism is overwhelming in here. How about focus on the positive things in life, like what you have, not what you don't have. An optimistic outlook will attract so many more potential dates for each of you.

I know of an artist who said it best; "What I want is what I've not got, but what I need is all around me" Keep that in mind.

I've been here since 8-11, and I have met several(even meeting a new one tonight ), and talked to several others. This place is great!

But to answer the original question; I wanted to have all kids grown and move on to "me time" by the time I am 50. So 32 was my time to give up on KIDS, not relationships. Well I had my one child by 32, I'll be 40 this year, so goal met. now time to meet a nice lady!

Wish me luck !
 Capn_America
Msg: 454
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:55:28 AM

"You can't always get what you want
You get what you need"

Haha, great quote by the great philosopher Jagger. Can't help but hear Doctor House say it when I read it
 Atomic_Twat_Muffin
Msg: 455
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:13:41 PM
I hope I never give up. That sounds really sad.
 chazzc1980
Msg: 456
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:20:11 PM
It just seems that some of you that have posted on this thread have very lofty standards of the perfect person though, I understand not settling but having a laundry list of requirements that have to be met isn't very realistic. Life is about giving not just taking, about making sacrifices and compromises...it seems many in this world have forgotten what that means, especially when it comes to online dating. This isn't Weird Science where you can create your perfect mate and poof, there he/she is standing in your doorway.
 Jaimes004
Msg: 457
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:29:17 PM
^^^and she was only perfect for a short time.
 billymonroe
Msg: 458
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2012 9:11:25 AM
I agree with the last coments. I've never read so many daft and supid answers to a question. Why call children kids, there're not goats. And to all those who have never had the joy of having a baby son or daughter in your arms, you don't what you've missed. So I say get a life and grow up.
 Fleuron
Msg: 459
Posted: 6/15/2012 5:25:32 PM
This thread is a pharmaceutical salesman’s wet dream.
 BurtonGusterJr
Msg: 460
Posted: 6/15/2012 5:37:17 PM

This thread is a pharmaceutical salesman’s wet dream.

It's how my dad is paying my way through college
 planb41
Msg: 461
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:02:45 PM
it does mean ~smOking~ dosen't it!!??
............( "o)
Quitting Sex?
It depends on individuals, sex needs to be creative all the time, (pic n mix sesh)
Quitting Search for LoVe
Never stop as its an asset to our spirituallity :) (too much booze tonite)
 DomG79
Msg: 462
Posted: 6/17/2012 2:23:17 AM

The pessimism is overwhelming in here. How about focus on the positive things in life, like what you have, not what you don't have. An optimistic outlook will attract so many more potential dates for each of you.

I do that, but then I realize something is missing, and I end up being depressed again.

NEVER. If I'm not involved in an LTR ; I'll be chasing women until my last breath.

Better to replace them than it is to chase them.

You get what you need"

What if you want something because you need it?
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 463
Posted: 6/17/2012 4:31:47 AM

It just seems that some of you that have posted on this thread have very lofty standards of the perfect person though, I understand not settling but having a laundry list of requirements that have to be met isn't very realistic. Life is about giving not just taking, about making sacrifices and compromises...it seems many in this world have forgotten what that means, especially when it comes to online dating. This isn't Weird Science where you can create your perfect mate and poof, there he/she is standing in your doorway.

I know some maybe seem like it is a laundry list; but in a few cases, it's a few things that you KNOW would end up jarring or rubbing both the wrong way; and having lived life long enough to know what works well in interaction; it is better if there are core beliefs to not go totally against them rather than putting yourself into something you know over time will drive BOTH you crazy.

The worse thing would be to go into a relationship with those things in place knowing they are there, with the mentality of changing the other person to be more comfortable for you.

Isn't it better to stick to someone where you appreciate and value them as they are and they you? Because we know that THEY have their own list and their own things they want as well; and we want to be valued for who we are,not resented either.

Because what's good for the goose is also good for the gander...
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 464
Posted: 8/27/2012 11:36:05 PM
I believe I have already given up. .after actively trying to date for 6+ years, I feel that my window to find someone has passed. I'll second what one poster said. . if it hasn't happened by age 35, chances are, it probably won't. I just have to learn to accept being alone, which will be tough. .have to avoid being stuck in restaurants without a friend at the "date times", ie. friday or saturday evenings. I'll just keep my profile for the forums. .they're fun to read!
 Drawesome32
Msg: 465
Posted: 8/28/2012 1:24:15 AM
OP: im 33 and ive pretty much given up. in my age bracket most of the women already have 2-3 kids and that makes it difficult for me to start a family with any of them. i waited until a little later in my life for children so that i would be in a better place to take care of them, but it looks like i was one of the very few.
 DragonBits
Msg: 466
Posted: 8/28/2012 10:51:35 AM
For a woman I think about age 45 it becomes too difficult to have a baby, and for a man age 70 it isn't practical for most men.

I think Anthony Quinn last baby was born when he was 81, but then again he had a lot of money to help raise the child.

Depends on how badly you really want a family.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 467
Posted: 8/28/2012 12:21:46 PM
When I take my last breath. And I have standards:

1. She has to be unmarried.
2. She has to make me a priority.

and by far the most difficult

3. She has to accept being the mother figure to my munchkin.
 sactowndude
Msg: 468
Posted: 8/28/2012 4:45:59 PM
Lately it seems all these fat or obese men are contacting me and I have to be like Im sorry your body type isnt athletic and you arent my type

This coming from a woman who is overweight, hello pot this is kettle.

As for the OP's question, I don't care if I never remarry but I will continue to live a healthy lifestyle.
 sactowndude
Msg: 469
Posted: 8/28/2012 4:54:45 PM
Good for you, now work on your attitude. Maybe some of the men you rejected are also trying to lose weight. I'd rather date a woman who is happy with themselves than one who is bitter and superficial.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 470
Posted: 8/28/2012 10:48:49 PM
I'll have to try your method, Domo. .replacing a potential bf with the gym. .I already go 4 times a week, maybe it's time to up it to 5. Congrats, on losing a huge amount of weight. .it must have taken a lot of discipline and willpower.
For the poster who said they would rather date someone who isn't superficial. .by pointing out someone's shape, aren't you being superficial yourself? It only makes sense if one takes care of oneself, that will be something to look for in a potential date.
 sactowndude
Msg: 471
Posted: 8/28/2012 11:14:40 PM
I was pointing out the hypocrisy of Domo and others statements on here, I read all the time on here that overweight people want the athletic/trim person. This is like a smoker who only wants to date non-smokers.

Im pretty picky and I dislike kids severely because most are spoiled and rotten these days so that eliminates most men my age. I dont want to deal with the baggage that comes with kids anyways

Not only do you despise fat people, you also don't like kids. Good luck finding Mr. Right.
 light-fantastic
Msg: 472
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2012 4:52:44 AM
I never gave up wanting to start a family, nor dating. I have had several long-term relationships, the last of which delivered to me a beautiful son, at 44. He's nearly 12 and the joy of my life, along with a new man.

Give up living? When I am planted, lol.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 473
Posted: 8/29/2012 10:46:24 AM
I got to the gym and participate in sports at least 4x a week. I've dropped 45-50 pounds in the last three years and am damn proud of it, but when it comes to this online dating stuff, nobody really gives a damn where you've been or what you've done - it's all about what you look like now. It's shallow, but true. At about 17-18% body fat I'm doing a lot better than MANY at the gym, but online, the expectations get raised significantly, and you ARE 'fat' if you only have about 8 oz of love handles at the waist. Vanity is rampant online.

I would like to meet a (SLIGHTLY) younger woman to have kids, but Fate must hate that idea - I have never dated ANY woman that was younger than me - not even in high school. The 'Give Up' factor is very strong - the very day I hit 40, just about EVERY woman still in their 30s stops looking at my profile, and now some even automatically think I'm 50 and lying about my age. All I did was become a day older?!?!? I can count the number of grey hairs on my head without a calculator.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 474
Posted: 8/29/2012 5:15:28 PM
I am going to be 39 in the next couple of weeks. If I don't meet a girl within that time, I'm shutting it down.
 Easy2know
Msg: 475
Posted: 9/2/2012 8:03:54 PM
I'm 30 and I'm done. I'm over the headache and headache of relationships also over the monotonyof dating..its awful. My fate was I was meant to be single and I have to accept that.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > At what age do you Just Give Up?