Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Oregon  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dancing_banana
Msg: 14
The ParadoxPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi Kowboi,

I think lust is an important part of a relationship...meaning you would find them attractive. We also know that such attraction is mostly visual

K, so here could be one 'disconnect' - a person might be attracted to the text portion of a profile but not to the pictures of the poster.

is there a way to be sure we're comparing apple's to apple's? While it may be difficult to communicate such things in a profile

It's hard to be sure what a reader is taking from one's profile without direct communication from them. What might be humorous to the poster might be offensive to the reader, as one example.

there must be a way to swing a negative judgment to a positive one

I disagree. Values vary from person to person.

I don't think I have ever received a positive response (if any) to my e-mails from the people listed on my "Viewed Me" page; which would lead me to believe everyone who has visited my profile has run away screaming

The 'Viewed Me' thing could mean everything or it could mean nothing - it could mean that after viewing she decided you weren't a match, or it could mean that she viewed you because she saw your forum post, or she wanted to see your hat/shirt/background close up, or you looked like someone she knew, or you came up in her matches, or you viewed her first so she viewed you back. There's too much of a 'lookie-loo' factor to Viewed Me for it to mean much.

I can't update the age spread without giving a new e-mail, and I am reluctant to do so

Why?

So astrological signs could be an issue.

Are you saying that perhaps some women steer away from your sign?
 sailor7
Msg: 16
The Paradox
Posted: 9/11/2009 8:19:54 PM
(standard disclaimer) This is an age old subject and the answer I've found to be relatively simple. Women wont love , Men wont sex. It's not really a card game it's more like an auction, How much love will you give me for my sex and vice verca. This may sound cynical, but it's a pretty flat and solid base to draw any assumptions or conclusions you may need from. Chris
 kbodley
Msg: 18
view profile
History
The Paradox
Posted: 9/12/2009 7:41:25 AM
There is an old adage in the sales game that says, "Before you can sell what John Brown buys, you must see John Brown through John Brown's eyes."

So - perhaps the answer to your original paradoxical question would be this. Ask yourself what the kind of woman that you would like to connect with would want in a relationship. What type of man would she be attracted to? What qualities, values, and activities would SHE search for? Then, assuming of course that you possess all, or most, of those qualities, write your profile to showcase those aspects of your life and personality.

After all, the reality is that each of our profiles is essentially an internet advertisement. We are in a very real manner posting a sales brochure in the hopes that we will attract some interested buyers!
 kbodley
Msg: 23
view profile
History
The Paradox
Posted: 9/12/2009 9:59:06 PM

The numbers game. While I do not know the exact numbers, it is well known that the number of men on these sites out numbers that of the women.

It is a numbers game! Every good sales person will tell you that it takes 100 "no" answers before you get a yes! So I figure that for every email I send, to every guy that is either going to send me a thanks but not interested email, or simply delete and no answer, just gets me that much closer to the 101st guy who will say yes!
 sailor7
Msg: 30
The Paradox
Posted: 10/4/2009 4:13:11 PM
kowboi;
One thing I've noticed about you.Your analytical nature. Much the same as other men. But you seem to put it in over drive to "Problem solve" your female situation. One thing I can guarantee you is women aren't analytical. You can analyze it all you wont and throw it back and forth forever, but you'll never figure out the mind of a woman. They do not follow a pattern. Any pattern. I believe the changing wiles of a woman takes mostly patience. So if your looking for an answer, try patience. You can't buy it. It's not a muscle you can pump up. It more involves calm than any thing else. Just an alternate view point for you to consider.
 Much More
Msg: 31
view profile
History
The Paradox
Posted: 11/15/2009 9:49:16 AM
There is the man to woman paradox and then there is the woman to man paradox.

So different and yet so the same.......

We must all work within the system as it is. Our basic hardwiring takes centuries to evolve. Best to understand how things work now and tackle the inherent challanges to the best of your ability.

Sailor7....be careful with those sweeping assumptions of women. Some of us can be quite logical and analytical....Why we can be pretty AND pretty black and white.....go figure..... (Well at least until you do something to muck it up....hehehe)

A man that was once in my life told me...."Good looks are the golden coin". The sad fact of cyberdating is that most never can get past the "look" to get to the good stuff underneath. Such is life....we must all deal with it

MM

PS: Just looked at what forum group this was in - "Oregon?"....oopsie....I am not local....although I have been to Oregon many times and like it. Does that count for anything? May I get a special hall pass to comment here?

I wonder if this thread would better be placed in Dating....however it would probably getting deleted as a redundant topic......ya just can't win....LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > Oregon  >