Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > NFL in Europe?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 16
NFL in Europe?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

rugby is tougher than "American" football,

everyone knows that a NFL player "players" for 5 or 10 minutes per game,
Guess you never watched an American football game to make a comment like this.

rugby players are more versatile and tougher than perhaps any other sportsman in the world if talking of ball games.
You make me laugh tougher than American Football and Hockey

I think you should buy a book about American Football to help you understand the sport

Title: Football for Dummies
http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Football-For-Dummies-3rd-Edition.productCd-0470125365.html
 wizardofossington
Msg: 17
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/12/2009 6:50:21 AM

why should rugby players play in the NFL? will you expect a baseball player to leave baseball and play cricket?

You have a good point.

rugby is tougher than american football, everyone knows that a NFL player playes for 5 or 10 minutes per game, a lot of stoppages, etc a rugby player can play easily for 90 minutes, and the pace in rugby is harder.

Rugby is no where near tougher than football. Rugby players wouldn't survive the impact from a NFL player.

rugby players are more versatile

300 lb NFL player is more versatile than a rugby player by far. I would love to see a rugby player try to stop a RB coming at him. One juke move and see ya!!! TOUCHDOWN!!!
 MGMLION
Msg: 18
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/12/2009 9:27:28 AM
Rugby players hold each others hand in a line when they hit you.

There is no holding each others hand in the NFL when they hit you.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 19
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/12/2009 12:13:59 PM

My dog can play soccer.

That's animal abuse....That's worst than dog fighting. Just kidding for all you animal lovers.
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 20
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/12/2009 1:58:50 PM

Did you know that Eli Manning will make over 15 million dollars per week during the season?

I think you should check that number, its a million $$$ a game last I heard.

Thinking about Soccer .... How big is that net to begin with? Isn't it like ten feet High and 20 feet across. How big is the Ball? 16 inches.
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 21
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:38:21 PM
You come up with the weirdest responses dingaling

Shea has been torn down, Fenway should be torn down.
 steveemac
Msg: 22
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/12/2009 8:46:28 PM

Fenway should be torn down.
You could have an English soccer match there; the "hooligans" in the crowd might riot and tear the thing apart for free...and after all -according to some on this site- that's what makes soccer fans the "Greatest Sports Fans In The World..."
 sum1reel
Msg: 23
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/12/2009 9:06:23 PM

You don't have a clue what real football is.

.........and you do!........(its amazing how F'n brain-washed some pple are!)

Excuse me for making a bit of sense, but the name itself 'Football' clearly implies of a game in which the "ball" is played mainly with the "feet".........Much like "paddleball" is a game in which the "ball" is played with a paddle.

Everyone knows (unless you've been living on a deserted island) that NFL football is an American derivative of early Rugby (which at that time, wasn't called rugby) but it acquired the name "football" because it was then played on the same field as soccer (original football) in the colder months of the year in N. America..........Given the harsh and long winter season, soccer fell outta favor in place of "american-rugby"(Aka, NFL football).......meaning that it became very difficult to kick a ball on an snowy/icy surface in sub-zero weather, and far easier to play a game that 'runs' the ball in which there are a lot of breaks in order to give players a chance to recuperate (just watch any game played in GB or Buffalo) on the side-lines.......given the demands (to minimize fatigue and depletion of ranks), each team was divided into a defensive unit and offensive unit respectively and gradually became the game we know it to be today!

Therefore, the name 'football' as it applies to the NFL game is simply a "mis-nomer"
 sum1reel
Msg: 24
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/13/2009 8:05:53 AM

You'll just have to accept the fact that Americans don't use all the same terminology as the Brits do.

The issue is what YOU consider to be "real" football!!!...............and as i explained in my previous post (if you bothered to read it)..........if you wanna define the word and go back to its roots, you'll see that it refers to a game in which the ball is played with the "feet"...the game (NFL FOOTBALL) that evolved from early 'rugby' usurped the name "football" given that soccer (which is called football everywhere else) fell out of favor(for the reasons that I already explained).

In effect, "real" football isn't what is portrayed by the NFL game!........you can choose to accept this if you wish or you can keep your head in the sand about it!!!!.....either way i doesn't matter to me as i could care less what either game is called.

And NO, American rugby is played the same way as it is any where. It is not "aka the NFL."

Rugby today is played the same everywhere, and it is certainly not like NFL football!.....but obviously you didn't understand what i said about how present day (NFL) football developed from an early form of rugby that was commonly played in N. America (more than 1 century ago)........and that is what i meant by the term 'american rugby'.

If you really want to battle for who gets the right to be termed "football," then let's line up Manchester United against the Steelers defense, and we'll see who get's their way.

^ a real intelligent statement!....................if you really wanna know who gets the right to be termed "football" then why don't you watch which of these 2 teams actually play the ball using their feet more than their hands!!!!
 wizardofossington
Msg: 25
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/13/2009 2:13:29 PM
NFL player be more versatile and mobile than a rugby player i wonder?

A WR, RB, TE, SS, and so on are more versatile than any rugby player. The speed of the game is a lot faster than rugby. I seen rugby players play and they couldn't even come near or catch any NFL player. I see more groping in rugby like it's Saturday night disco inferno.

only an ignorant person like wizard would say such a brilliant comment.

honestly i hope wizard does not return with such a statement about a 300 lb player being more versatile or mobile.

And your comments is beyond ignorance and the funny thing you keep carrying on talking like a fool, which you have no knowledge.

well first of all i must say that it is one of the silliest statements that i have ever read. and second i am sure that only one of them, Man United, would kick and pass the 'ball' using a 'foot', and finally Man United players would dance with the ball around those 300 lb Steelers players, treating them like clowns, and no need to say that those NFL players would get tired and exausted as they are used to play for 5 minutes, return to the bench, etc.

And the thing is you answered this "silliest statement." Which only makes you even more silly....I love soccer and hate to make fun of it, but all an NFL player has to do to get the ball is flick a soccer players ear and he will roll over the field and pain. In this game they will need a time out. If they can't withstand being hit in the shin, just imagine what an NFL player can do.
 MGMLION
Msg: 26
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/13/2009 5:51:43 PM
Manchester United could beat the New Orleans Saints.
 sum1reel
Msg: 27
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/13/2009 10:08:42 PM
pedro

how can a 300 lb NFL player be more versatile and mobile than a rugby player i wonder? in fact a player with such a weight should attend a doctor to lose some only an ignorant person like wizard would say such a brilliant comment. even my 6 year old son is more versatile, mobile and faster than any 300 lb person. anyway, people so fat should not be allowed to play sports,

Comparisons cannot be made between players of the NFL and Rugby, because the demands of each sport is different.......and certainly no soccer player has the physical strength of either an NFL'er or a Rugby player, but soccer players (in general) are more aerobically fit and have more endurance.

The NFL game is unique in that it has many specialized positions.......some players (called defensive linemen and offensive linemen) are quite big, but players that have to run and react quickly cannot have too much bulk or fat!......players who have the job of running or receiving the ball are usually trained in track and field athletics as well, so they tend to be very fit.......sometimes the padding and gear makes them look bigger than they really are.

The NFL season has just begun.....I don't know if you can see any games on your TV, but if so, you should try to watch 1-2 complete games between 2 good teams if you can....not to compare the players to soccer or rugby players but just to try to learn the basic objectives and the execution of plays......and each play always starts from a 'set-piece'.
I know the game is long as hell to play, but it is the only way that anybody can appreciate the athletic demands.

Btw...there have actually been a study done (in the Journal of American Medicine) which showed that ex-NFL football players (those who are amongst the heaviest) are far more prone to pre-mature heart disease and diabetes.
 sum1reel
Msg: 28
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/14/2009 1:15:55 PM
pedro

the only that i know of NFL comes from typical north american films or TV series where you see a typical american family, the high school with its team, etc i do not have any chance to watch a real game on TV, for the common and free TV channels do not show any game, and never have because it is not part of the culture.

if you never had a chance to see a real game then you must admit that that your experience and knowledge about this sport is very limited..........i'm sure you probably have seen real rugby matches as they are popular in europe, but even with certain similarities with the NFL game, they are completely different sports!........if you ever have the chance and patience to watch a few NFL games somewhere, i think you would gain a far different viewpoint of it.....but i understand that it may not be worth paying for the channels that show these games if you are not a fan.

you do know that a team based in London would NOT work,

i may perhaps disagree here........because there are always quite a large number of N. americans residing in London and surrounding areas, and i'm sure that some americans would even make the train ride from northern towns like Liverpool and manchester since the distance is not great!..........the NFL season is short compared to the EPL, and all there would be is about 8 home games (1 per week).........if they can get about 30-40,ooo per match, the NFL president would be quite happy.....and as you know, a typical plane trip from London to the eastern US is about 6-7 hours, and there would be enuff time to adjust to the time difference if the team leaves early in the week.......the former league called NFL europe failed in England because it was terrible in quality so few americans came to watch it.............as far as Germany (or any other place in europe) goes, i don't think that an NFL team can survive at all!........in England they at least have the advantage of using the same terminology and units of measurement.
 steveemac
Msg: 29
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/14/2009 7:11:50 PM

the only that i know of NFL comes from typical north american films or TV series where you see a typical american family, the high school with its team, etc i do not have any chance to watch a real game on TV, for the common and free TV channels do not show any game, and never have because it is not part of the culture.

if you never had a chance to see a real game then you must admit that that your experience and knowledge about this sport is very limited...
Well, sum1, most everybody else would have to admit their lack of knowledge, but Pedro? Just not gonna happen, not in your lifetime, nor mine, nor God's...
 HDready10
Msg: 30
view profile
History
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/14/2009 7:49:20 PM
well obviously the nfl is not as popular as it was in europe since the cowboys have not won a playoff game in 13 years
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 31
view profile
History
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/15/2009 1:43:01 PM
The MSL in North America would be the same as NFL in Europe. Both leagues have players who are rejects from the superior leagues and both have fans that are not native to the country( MSL fans are immigrants pretending they're in Europe and NFL Europe fans are immigrants pretending they're in North America.
 sum1reel
Msg: 32
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:38:31 PM
@Spice

the reason that NFL Europe fell apart in london was a couple of things... even when they were at wembley and not playing well that franchise still played to 40000 crowds...
then they bulldozed it for the new stadium and they were homeless... the places they took the games were not the most accessible places .. the valley, white hart lane, stamford bridge..... and it lost the atmosphere it did...

.....the reason why it failed in London can't be because they knocked down Wembly!.....if you'd be willing to get on a train from Newcastle to see a game in the London area then why shouldn't the fans go see the team at another stadium nearby?.....(Btw, the atmosphere is made by the fans and not the stadium!)......there are multiple reasons why it failed, the fact that other teams in the league were folding had a big impact...., but if you say that many in attendance were fans of other(US) teams then it tells me that there was no loyalty for the home team and they were there just there as a social gathering/pass-time..............Now, putting an actual NFL team there might be different but its hard to say!.....ultimately, many americans will eventually return to the US where they have strong feelings for their home teams, so i don't think that having "part-time " fans is enuff to convince the NFL commissioner (Goodell) to seriously put an NFL team there even though he may get 40,000 a game (i'm sure he has already considered this)...i get the feeling that he cannot rely on a mostly English fan base because Rugby is their main "oval" ball sport.

As pedro says, high attendance at visiting NFL games is no assurance of how strong the interest is.........since the same thing happens in the US when european soccer teams come to play............but it does show that there are enuff pple who are familiar with the game.
------------------------

pedro

thanks sum1! you are agreeing with me that mainly north americans who reside in the UK are those who attend the games. and as for Germany you are wrong because Germany is the only European country where several american football teams really work with a strong and solid fanbase, look at it please.

right now, there are no more "NFL football" leagues in europe, (at least not professional ones,) so i'm not sure how significant the fan base is like in Germany.......you also must realize that there are very many Americans in Germany as well and i'm sure they comprise the fan base too, but if the vast majority of fans are actual Germans then it could be something that the NFL can study better......i don't know if rugby is as popular in Germany as it is in England, but if not....then there could be a chance for NFL football to establish itself....in that case, the NFL should stage more games in germany than in england.
---------------------------------

@pickmynose

The MSL in North America would be the same as NFL in Europe. Both leagues have players who are rejects from the superior leagues and both have fans that are not native to the country( MSL fans are immigrants pretending they're in Europe and NFL Europe fans are immigrants pretending they're in North America.

...Fan-wise, while this may be true in certain large cities like LA, Chicago, Washington....it is not the case in places like Seattle, toronto, salt lake, colorado, NE........where they have largely their own fan base made up of americans/canadians who have learned to play in schools in the US and developed an interest while growing up. Maybe you've heard of uncle sam's army, (a large body of fans dedicated to the support of the US national team)...they are hardly what you would call "immigrants"!

Player-wise, i'll agree that the MSL game is made of second rate players!.....which is a major reason why the league doesn't have better attendance.
 sum1reel
Msg: 33
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/17/2009 2:45:00 PM
^

I went on: americanfootballeurope.com

and i was surprised to see how many european countries have active leagues containing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd division groupings.................from what i saw on this site, England has 10 1st division teams. i don't know how BAFA fits into this.

Germany is by far the most extensive and most populous of teams.........Italy also has 3 divisions in place, and Yes, even in your country there is an extensive league containing 1st and 2nd divisions.

now i know that the quality of the game in these leagues does not come close to the type of game played in the NFL, but it is still interesting to see that there an wide network of leagues in existence.

To have this many leagues (even though they have a small fan base) in so many countries, American football has to be more than just a curiosity.

You can look at the teams playing in Spain and see if any of them are located near where you live. If so, then you can go watch a game 1 day and maybe you can bring your son to see what he thinks. Kids are always open to new things!........since you say you have never seen an actual game, you never know, you may actually change your opinion once you experience it.

If you want to see more sites you can Google 'american football in europe' and you will get quite a number of sites. I did not go on all of them.
 sum1reel
Msg: 34
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/19/2009 4:47:33 PM

i do not deny that american football exists in Europe, of course it exists! but you can not say, much less suggest that it runs through our veins or that it has much interest.

...you are right about that, but i think that Nfl football can slowly become as popular as basketball is today, mostly in euro-countries that do not care too much for Rugby .....but it will certainly take a long time.....my guess is 75-100 years.

think of rugby, field hockey and cricket in the US.............

these sports will never gain major popularity in the US because there are similar sports that are already very popular...therefore they are not needed....for the same reason Nfl football will never be that popular among the Brits, as they have rugby.

1. NFL football ...similar to rugby
2. Ice hockey...similar to field hocky
3. Baseball...somewhat similar to cricket
 wizardofossington
Msg: 35
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/21/2009 6:54:43 AM
I really don't care if the NFL ever gets popular in Europe, but to say rugby players hit harder than NFL players is a joke. Also, to have someone like Pedro to even talk about the game of American football as if he knows what the hell he is talking about is another joke. He doesn't understand the game, the rules, and the point system....Although he carries on yapping his lip like it has any meaning. If we all try to compare American football and rugby to soccer....Then soccer players are bunch of pansies....A tap to the knee and they are all over the floor. We might see more scoring in soccer if soccer players can stop rolling all over the floor. I love soccer, but when they do that it drives me crazy....My favorite player Ronaldo has a habit or use to do it all the time.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 36
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/22/2009 6:21:30 AM
The only way it would work, longterm, is if the team is consistently successful ON THE FIELD.
Once the novelty of American football wears off, fans will stay away if the "London Monarchs" are no better than the Detroit Lions.
American football in Europe is about as natural as hockey in the desert... and look how well THAT draws
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 37
view profile
History
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/22/2009 5:31:19 PM
Frankster, I think you meant EVOLVED not devolved rugby, either that or you're resisting evolution of games. Rugby is a great game, but to call football a devolved form of the game is a true lack of knowledge of either sport. In the future I would refrain from commenting until I could do so rationally and intelligently. If you were just kidding the "devolved" comment then I'm sorry.
 sum1reel
Msg: 38
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/23/2009 10:18:02 AM

Dont sell out to devolved rugby

^
its a bit amusing to me that all these guys who bash(slag) NFl football are individuals who have actually never watched an authentic game........ nor understand it in the least!

and even though the sport isn't big in europe, the fact that you have all these 'underground' leagues in almost every european country shows that it is more than just a curiosity.

its gonna take quite a long long time for the sport to grow, but as we say here in the US, "a long journey starts with the first step"...the leagues are well in place so the first step has already been taken!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 39
view profile
History
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/22/2015 8:40:31 AM
I was trying to find a suitable thread to post this on as it is a mixture of rugby and american football.

I remember when channel 4 over here started showing american football. It used to be on at around 2 in the morning. The main geezer i mind of was dan marino. Interest waned though due to the time it was on and the games seemed to go on for yonks. (Due to tv ad's i think)

Leagues started up and indeed Scotland had its own team, the Claymores which played their games at murrayfield, the home of Scottish rugby.

"The Scottish Claymores were an American football team based in Scotland. The franchise played in the World League of American Football (later renamed NFL Europe) between 1995 and 2004, initially playing all home games at Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh and latterly sharing home games with Hampden Park, Glasgow. In ten seasons of NFL Europe play, the Claymores reached the World Bowl on two occasions, with victory in World Bowl '96 but defeat in World Bowl 2000. Their name derives from that of the Claymore, a double-edged sword historically used in Scottish clan warfare."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Claymores

It's good to watch the underdogs giving out a slap.

I dont know if any of yous lot watch the rugby? The world cup is on at the moment. And on saturday past THE greatest ever shock in rugby happened. Japan defeated the mighty springboks (south africa).

This was right at the end. The last play. Japan could have taken a penalty and got the draw. But nope. Here is the last few minutes.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VtL_7HzDB7A

On a football site i use the hibees bounce, folk were discussing the rugby. One of the geezers on the thread posted a couple of clips of american football called the iron bowl. Auburn v alabama.

What and end to a game. A joy to watch when all said and done. Here are the links to the clips the lad posted.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKmkD1pUG0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIBNX0CXDc

And here is a link to the football site i seen them on.

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthread.php?116154-Egg-Chasing-Japanese-style
 Tempered_Soul
Msg: 40
view profile
History
NFL in Europe?
Posted: 1/15/2016 6:54:39 PM
A better idea to grow the game in Europe is to develop a string of developmental pro-reg leagues in Europe with limited playoffs.
Top 2 teams play for the national championship.

National club champions go on to play in the continental super-league. Super league champions go on to play a Harlem Globetrotters style match against a random NFL team. Style points are awarded instead of regular points. The game would be scheduled the day before the Super bowl. This grows the game in Europe and gains exposure for the European leagues in America.

Also make the league sort of a developmental and senior league for smaller players, players who are from the area, players with raw talent but no skills, and older players whose stars have faded slower than their playing ability (Charles Woodson, etc). Sort of like what MLS does for their talent.

Stock the teams with the best of the best European players.

And finally change the rules a bit.

Go to a 20 second play clock.
award 4 points for angled, long field goals.
Make safeties worth 3 points and a kickoff from your own 20 yard line.
Continuously running clocks save for the 2 minute warning and spiking the ball after the 2 minute warning.
No kneel downs to kill time.
Allow 2 eligible receivers to be in motion at any time, just like in Canada.
No consecutive running plays excluding QB scrambles.
Incomplete passes that are shorter than 3 yards are considered live balls and can be returned for touchdowns.
Option offenses with more than 2 options may not be ran unless 6 downs have been completed first.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > NFL in Europe?