Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > This is how I lost my job folks, what do you think?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nebula22
Msg: 26
This is how I lost my job folks, what do you think?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
When I was 10 yrs old I could do 100 push ups , 100 sit ups , 100 pull ups and 100 chin ups.
I also water skied and worked on yachts as well as owning a lawn care business.

Be glad you are no-longer working for such ***holes..

Sue the pants off them.

Go talk to a good lawyer..

Good luck..
 btownplayas
Msg: 27
view profile
History
This is how I lost my job folks, what do you think?
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:14:00 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for all the comments from everyone. You all made good points. I have moved on about it, I just decided to put it in the forum because it hurt me, but Im all good now. I cant dwell in the past, and I need to focus on the future. Several people on here mentioned that I should sue. I dont have any plans on suing anybody because I dont want to go through the process of litigation and pay a lawyer by the hour for a job that was paying me $9 an hour. I know I am better than that, and I will get something better. What I did was bad judgment in my part. I shouldnt had made the kid do those pushups and because of that I lost my job. It was fair.

I know many of you wouldve done different things, but I decided to let it go and move on, because their are better people out there that I want to associate myself with. I will be a bigger man in this situation and keep my chin up as well. You all gave me great advice, it was just in my head and I felt like I needed to tell a group of people whether its online or offline. I am focusing on pursuing other ventures out their and closing this chapter and learning from this experience.

Thanks!!
 nexthyme
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 3:50:02 PM
OP, never let your ego or pride get in the way of getting food on the table at this time...

I can't say if you did the right thing or not. Yes, it is true that you had deviated from the norm, and perhaps 15 secs is to much...

The problem you have is what is called "hired at will", which also means fired at will... There can be a lot of things that are not known about your employment history, so there isn't much you can do...

Remember this is only temporary, and you will be able to move along during the rough times...

I have to remind my new husband of the same thing, because he gets beaten over the head with racism from time to time... He's a hard worker, so the younger men let him do all the work while they sit around on smoke breaks.... He gets so frustrated, and doesn't know what to do, or say...

I know that you were just trying to take care of a problem child, and YOU paid the price, which it seems that in the work world it is a written warning, or verbal, and then the next offense is dealt with through dismissal... However I don't know your work rules, nor do I know how much PULL clients have in who works where...

Good luck...
 JWG86
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/14/2009 4:00:50 PM
I worked at a amp before and there is some BS that goes on. I am more likely to side with the OP.
 arwen52
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 4:45:32 PM
This is why people form unions. You probably have no recourse against an employer who dismisses you for what do not seem like very good reasons. That's America. You're on your own.

Union membership is at an all-time low. Less than 20% of the workforce now belongs to a labor union. You have no one to negotiate on your behalf. I have a friend who recently was required to work 80 hours a week and was threatened with being fired because he refused to work 84 hours that week. Everyone is a on contract instead of being an employee. They can be terminated without cause, have no benefits, and are often required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. It didn't used to be like this.

By the way, I don't see why making a kid do a push-up is abusive. Maybe it was against some sort of written policy and so there's that to contend with, but he didn't hit the kid, didn't yell at him or call him names or belittle him.

I have no idea what to tell you except that you are in a so-called "right to work" state where there is even less regard for employees.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 5:42:59 PM

This is why people form unions.
They form unions to protect their jobs when they've broken not only the rules of the workplace but the law?

Uh huh...

By the way, I don't see why making a kid do a push-up is abusive. Maybe it was against some sort of written policy and so there's that to contend with, but he didn't hit the kid, didn't yell at him or call him names or belittle him.
He centered this one child out in front of everyone to make an example of him... that's abusive.
 Revilors
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/14/2009 7:15:58 PM

You misbehave your have to pay for your actions. There is a thing called life.

Yes...and the OP did.

Further...if send my child out of my sight to be in the care of other adults...and the level of care and/or treatment has been deviated from. How am I to know what other form of deviation from policy might take place in the future?

Even if I were to send them to one of those "boot camp" types of places...I would expect full disclosure of the policy and proceedures that exist and would expect no surprises.

You can always refuse service to these individuals that are not a "fit" for your program/camp.

Being fired from the fitness jobs sounds like a lawsuit though.

Where do you get this from? AT WILL employment. They don't have to give you a reason. They owe you nothing except compensation for the work you do.

The only way you are going to be able to gain from legal action is if they say..."I'm sorry...we have to let you go because you are (a man, a woman, black, white, hispanic, jewish, catholic etc...) and they are not going to state any of those reasons...even if it might be the reason.

Right...go find a lawyer...he'll take your $200 for your hours consult...then tell you that you don't have a case. A bad one might tell you that you do and charge considerably more for you to exhaust his efforts to get you NOWHERE.
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/15/2009 12:15:20 AM
For what it's worth I agree OP that it was totally wrong you were sacked from your second job. It appears the actions of a megalomaniacal overbearing parent won the day. Likely the kid is that way cos of her mollycoddling and disrespect of the 'authority' of other adults. Kids that know they can get away with shit with other adults with the parent the only source of harsher discipline doesn't bode well, they're getting mixed signals and lose respect for others they perceive to have no power over their behaviour.
I agree that the camp's way of dealing with uruly kids, write-ups and reports, is a poor effort, frustrating you to find alternatives in a workplace intolerant and unforgiving of attempts at workable solutions, nevermind the intent behind it, which is all but ignored. Without adhering to black and white rules (sorry, pun unintended), personal judgement calls can stir up a hornets nest of wildly differing opinions. I know we have different ideas but for argument's sake, what would of happened if you took a slightly different more tolerable approach, I wonder. Not talking about appeasing the rule advocates.
The camp needs to examine their methods. Kids/parents are a tricky area so disciplining must be followed very strictly. You are perhaps presumptious that a parent hasn't tried, I don't think problem kids can just change overnight.
Generally speaking, whatever it entails, it's plain that discipline should never be used to abuse or humiliate. Start a camp of your own and trial this 3-pronged process, to be set down in writing, subject to change with due notice to parents... lol : -
#1 suitable punishment (appropriate to the circumstances/situation) - each method must be clearly defined in writing to stamp out any misunderstandings
#2 reinforcement - the child to acknowledge the infraction and to understand it
#3 encouragement and praise - to ensure punishement is focused only on the infraction while still highlighting them as a worthwhile individual, bringing them back into the fold hopefully making them strive for better
Again, this process wouldn't happen overnight, if at all, but hey at least I tried for an alternative.
I've taken pointers from the UK Supernanny.. who must have been inspired by obedience school for our 4-legged friends!

I think it is in your best interest to try to put it behind you instead of stewing over it and polling strangers for opinions.

Disagree. It's a topic that NEEDS to be discussed, in this case, to highlight perceived deficiencies in the workplace. If you think strangers shouldn't be polled for opinions, then why did you feel the need to give yours instead of leaving it at that statement?

He had a right to discipline the child.
It is parents like you that are the problem.

Attacking a parent with an opinion on the thread doesn't change that.

Likewise promoting an opinion, addressing another's stance as a parent, as an attack makes it no less an opinion, serving to derail it's contribution as part of a comprehensive discussion. Wording it different to protect precious egos doesn't detract from it's original meaning. More mollycoddling. PC gone mad.

I'm sure you were harboring ill feelings towards both the parent and possibly the child that, in your opinion, caused you to lose your first job.

You're suggesting he exacted punishment out of malice, his response being evidence of his guilt, thereby misappropriating judgement on the punishment itself.

Possibly, they felt uncomfortable. I'm not saying they should have or that you should have lost your second job for that.

You were "sure" of the OP harboring ill feelings earlier but you have no opinion either way here. To not back up that statement on the back of your previous assertion implies you're not in disagreement with their actions but give subliminal support to it.

BUT...the people that hired you and keep busy during their work day with the management of this camp and fitness center or whatever are now having to deal with a parent AGAIN as a result of your behavior.

That in and of itself is their problem, not his.

Whether the parent was justified, it was right or wrong doesn't matter. Your behavior caused the whole "snowball" to begin rolling down hill and growing in size.

Ridiculous. Since when did the behaviour of talking become an indictable offence?

Again...your employer made a choice to do damage control and wash their hands of the WHOLE situation. They could have asked the child to no longer receive services which, I'm sure, would have brought down a wrath they would be dealing with in perpetuity. Or simply let you go and bring peace and harmoy back to camp.
What did you expect them to do?

Sorry I find that another ridiculous statement. You're defending an indefensible action. To be ruled by monetary gain at the expense of character is NOT good role model material to kids. I think the OP has just cause to pursue the second sacking if only to make a meathead out of his former boss - the parent and kid are a bonus.

Your former boss probably offered the other job possibilities as she felf bad for your losses and didn't know of any other open positions. Their are guys my age...where I live...delivering pizza with their BS degree. Our economy has forced us to get passed pride to keep the wheels turning. Don't be offended by this gesture...it wasn't demeaning or racial.

I think the OP would have a better handle of his boss than anyone else here. If the OP feels it was a putdown, it's very possible but objectivity is required. It may just have been insensitive stupidity. Presumably it's akin to being told he can find work at McDonalds - after already firing him a SECOND time without an identifiable let alone just cause.

Edit: You can sue anyone for anything...but with "at will" employment...the employer doesn't need a reason. In this case...we know of "reasons" and don't get to hear the employers side of the story.

I thought you already gave it, one could mistake(?) you as the employer's representative.

FACT...The boss is NOT always right.........but, the boss is ALWAYS the boss.

Illogical support of the employer once more.

JMO
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/15/2009 4:35:35 AM

I'm sure you were harboring ill feelings towards both the parent and possibly the child that, in your opinion, caused you to lose your first job.

You're suggesting he exacted punishment out of malice, his response being evidence of his guilt, thereby misappropriating judgement from the punishment itself.

Correction to post.
 Revilors
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:11:16 AM

You're suggesting he exacted punishment out of malice, his response being evidence of his guilt, thereby misappropriating judgement on the punishment itself.

No...I'm suggesting that, after being dismissed as a result of their protest from the first job, there may have been spill over in his dealings with them on the other job.

You were "sure" of the OP harboring ill feelings earlier but you have no opinion either way here. To not back up that statement on the back of your previous assertion implies you're not in disagreement with their actions but give subliminal support to it.

I'm not "sure" of anything. I don't believe I have the whole story here. I don't disagree with them at all...on the first job. He'd been there for three years and knew the rules. He broke them and caused problems for them with parents and possilby exposed them to liability.

That in and of itself is their problem, not his.

Yes it WAS their problem. But not any more.....they solved it. But I'd dissagree that it wasn't "his" problem. Case in point.

Ridiculous. Since when did the behaviour of talking become an indictable offence?

Well...I'm a "read between the lines" kinda guy. And I imagined him "talking" to the other campers pointing out the person responsible for his first job loss. At any rate, there would have been no "snowball" if he had followed the rules clear to him (by his own admition) at his first job.

Sorry I find that another ridiculous statement. You're defending an indefensible action. To be ruled by monetary gain at the expense of character is NOT good role model material to kids. I think the OP has just cause to pursue the second sacking if only to make a meathead out of his former boss - the parent and kid are a bonus.

I find your statements here ridiculous. You're suggesting that the employer should stand by an employee that broke the rules possibly to the extent of lost income and possible threat of litigation. Then you laughably suggest that he pursue recourse against his employer, parent and child with no leg to stand on. He was let go from the first job for "cause"...that being breaking policy and from the second job for "no formal cause". There is no recourse for this with "at will" employment.

Illogical support of the employer once more.

WRONG. It is a FACT of life. My statement ("the boss is NOT always right....but, the boss is ALWAYS the boss") is a lesson I had to learn many years ago the "hard way" as did the OP.

You might think that my whole post pointed fingers at the OP and share a kinship with his employers. You'd be wrong but what more could I expect as you posted after "closing time". So let me sum my posts and opinion on this whole subject for you.

The OP bit the hands of those that feed the people that fed him. No employee is going to thrive in the workplace if they do not perform to the standards of the client and/or employer.
 twz2012
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:15:17 AM
Thats why I don't like working with kids. I dicipline my own and thats good enough for me. These folks that "rescue" their problem kids will pay in spades once the brats are old enough to do some real damage.

I've seen this over and over again.

Move on and find a real job dude...
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:00:57 PM

No...I'm suggesting that, after being dismissed as a result of their protest from the first job, there may have been spill over in his dealings with them on the other job.

You only referred to their discomfort, based on the parent seeing him on her way to pick up the kid, but now suggest an interaction on the second job. There is no evidence of this. I stick to my original statement, it doesn't deflect from your inference of malice that "caused you to lose your first job".

I'm not "sure" of anything. I don't believe I have the whole story here.

"I'm sure you were harboring ill feelings towards both the parent and possibly the child". Your words. Not only that, you lay claim to knowing the OP possessed these feelings via "in your opinion".

I don't disagree with them at all...on the first job. He'd been there for three years and knew the rules. He broke them and caused problems for them with parents and possilby exposed them to liability.

Your post was based on the premise of the OP's second job, your post entitled with a quote from the OP:

But, to lose my second job for just interacting with my former campers and a parent to complain again, now I felt that it was unfair and I was not allowed to explain my side.

I reiterate, you don't disagree with their actions on this job.

Yes it WAS their problem. But not any more.....they solved it. But I'd dissagree that it wasn't "his" problem. Case in point.

True, it became his problem when they made it thus.

Well...I'm a "read between the lines" kinda guy. And I imagined him "talking" to the other campers pointing out the person responsible for his first job loss.

No investigation. No evidence. No defense. Unless paranoia is on par with insanity, in the legal sense anyway lol.

At any rate, there would have been no "snowball" if he had followed the rules clear to him (by his own admition) at his first job.

FACT - there should have been no snowball to begin with. It was erroneously instigated, likely by a vengeful parent, not helped at all by a kowtowing boss. Losing his first job IS punishment. The second is double jeopardy. Crimimals are treated better. The parent needs to grow a pair and deal with it. And the kid needs to learn from it.

I find your statements here ridiculous. You're suggesting that the employer should stand by an employee that broke the rules possibly to the extent of lost income and possible threat of litigation.

Again, you and the employer are guilty of double jeopardy. Or maybe you're using the first job..again..to leverage your argument.

Then you laughably suggest that he pursue recourse against his employer, parent and child with no leg to stand on. He was let go from the first job for "cause"...that being breaking policy and from the second job for "no formal cause". There is no recourse for this with "at will" employment.

I forgive your mistake, understandable. I was supporting the OP's moral right to challenge the decision irrespective of legalities. I took a position on it, you didn't. As someone else suggested, I'm sure a local TV crew could do with a juicy story.

The OP bit the hands of those that feed the people that fed him. No employee is going to thrive in the workplace if they do not perform to the standards of the client and/or employer.

And I was merely commenting on how below standard their workplace is. To sum up and to repeat with your words....

He was let go......and from the second job for "no formal cause".
 Revilors
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:41:41 PM

You only referred to their discomfort, based on the parent seeing him on her way to pick up the kid, but now suggest an interaction on the second job.

That is because she WAS picking the kid up from the second job...as I recall. He worked and he attended both.

you lay claim to knowing the OP possessed these feelings via "in your opinion".

I said "I'm sure he was harboring ill feelings"....wouldn't you if they caused your dismissal?

you don't disagree with their actions on this job.

You are right...nor did I agree...nor did we get many of the facts with the second job.

No investigation. No evidence. No defense.

Well...I tried...but even the OP has far less vested feelings on this than you do.

Again, you and the employer are guilty of double jeopardy. Or maybe you're using the first job..again..to leverage your argument.

I'm not guilty of anything. I'm stating facts...and that is...you don't need a reason to fire someone from either job...but they had one for the first.

FACT - there should have been no snowball to begin with. It was erroneously instigated, likely by a vengeful parent, not helped at all by a kowtowing boss

FACT...in the case of the first job...he admitted to breaking policy...what kind of investigating is needed?

I forgive your mistake, understandable. I was supporting the OP's moral right to challenge the decision irrespective of legalities. I took a position on it, you didn't

But I did take a position...many times...you don't need a reason to fire someone and in the case of the first job...they had one.

Bottom line here is that the OP has not clarified anything so you and I are both speculating.

What I do know...for a fact...that when it comes to working with children, elderly, adults and children with dissabilities...there are VERY strict policies set in place for their protection, as well as the agencies protection set by State, Federal and provider agencies. They are not ambiguous...nor debateable.

They most likely didn't have a choice.

And don't try to argue with me that they (the policies) are probably ridiculously scewed to the point of impotency. Because I would likely agree with you.

And what fun would that be.
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/15/2009 9:32:31 PM

That is because she WAS picking the kid up from the second job...as I recall.

She was picking him up from camp not from attendance at his second job.

I said "I'm sure he was harboring ill feelings"....wouldn't you if they caused your dismissal?

I think you have that in reverse. You originally said in the same breath that the "ill feelings" caused the loss of his first job, now you've backflipped saying the loss of the job caused those feelings. I must be missing something here.

Well...I tried...but even the OP has far less vested feelings on this than you do.

Well..if ethics is a vested feeling, yeah then let's bring it on!

I'm not guilty of anything. I'm stating facts...and that is...you don't need a reason to fire someone from either job...but they had one for the first.

And I'm giving a discourse on ethics. Man I sound so up myself lol.

FACT...in the case of the first job...he admitted to breaking policy...what kind of investigating is needed?

You insist on connecting the two jobs to shore up your defence. I've been concentrating on the second one as this became the OP's primary concern. Wasn't it you that just said you neither agree or disagree cos:

nor did we get many of the facts with the second job.

Yet you conclude that the offence in his first capacity as counselor in effect warranted double punishment leading to termination from the second job..with lack of recourse on the second matter is trivial, nevermind it cost him ANOTHER job.

But I did take a position...many times...you don't need a reason to fire someone and in the case of the first job...they had one.

That's not taking a position, it's letting facts speak, leaving you with no voice. You offered no personal opinion in relation to the second job. So I rely on your implications.

Bottom line here is that the OP has not clarified anything so you and I are both speculating.

Your speculation already decided his fate, what's the point of further clarification.
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/15/2009 10:10:22 PM

Actually, his employer decided his fate. Any speculation you've seen on this thread is from a poster (a stranger to the entire affair.) You've gotten yourself so twisted around that you're saying things that don't make any sense in a seemingly fruitless effort to correct another poster. Weird.

Why thanks for the compliment
We are ALL strangers to this whole affair, other than the original poster.
I have not disagreed entirely with this other poster. He made some very valid points in a couple of his earlier posts.
Just because the OP might have no further interest in this bookish discourse doesn't mean the leftover transients can't debate.
I could say it's weird someone doesn't understand what a Forum is about but I'll refrain.
Plus I won't bother with further explanations to you seeing as you find it too hard to comprehend my posts. See I can move on
 Revilors
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:00:09 AM
isnuttinfree here is my theory.

I may be wrong but I had to guess as the OP has not exactly answered all the questions and I’ve had to try to “fill in the blanks”. Hopefully he will come back to let us know how far off I am.

I believe there was only ONE job. The OP happen to be wearing “two hats”. Kind of like working at a hospital…in the kitchen…and then decides he wants to be an orderly too because he is a hard worker…they like him and he needs the money. He may have been getting two checks as the company may keep the financials separate on the camp and the fitness center. But still ONE employment situation….one company (boss) with possibly more than one supervisor.

He makes a mistake. But not like forgetting to turn the lights out at the fitness center…but rather, he breaks policy with a child bringing down the wrath of a parent. His employer and/or supervisor decides to defuse the situation by removing him from his duties as a counselor. Thus, salvaging the employee/employer relationship for mutual benefit. He would have been better advised to stay the hell away from the camp, that parent and child at least until the dust had settled. All is good.

But he didn’t stay away from there. Then, the parent see’s him hanging out at the very place she was told he was removed from (possibly in defiance to the parent) visiting with other children (maybe give her a cold look…maybe not…but clearly she is still upset) and she marches back into the office and complains again possibly reminding them of the action she still has the option to exercise. (I always maintained that his “ill feelings” could have come into play in the loss of his second job/hat. If that was unclear in one of my postings….my bad).

Now the employer has to make a decision as to what is in the best interest of their concern. The one they made was to completely separate themselves from the employee to avoid the liability/litigation issue.

So…I would ask the OP if this was his employment situation. Working for one company that had different divisions of labor….counselors, lifeguards, kitchen help, fitness center all located in the same general area? One or two checks…although I maintain that that would not define it as separate as each area could be accountable financially.

I am also wondering why your issue has become so focused on my postings as they mirror those of others.

Perhaps you think I have no empathy for the OP....I do. I don't believe (but have no personal knowledge) that he acted maliciously or with the intent to harm or cause trouble.

Possibly, he felt it was in the child’s best interest.

When I’m in the supermarket…sometimes I’d like to have a “private audience” with a child misbehaving. But that would be crossing the line.
 tx2az1
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2009 4:54:23 PM
and this is why,america is the way it is right now! because parents now a days give their annoying kids timeouts and shit like that instead of pulling out the belt and putting some fear into them,let them know that their behavior is not acceptable! back in the day,this guy wouldnt have had this problem,but because kids today are being brought up to be a bunch of pu*****,this guy gets canned,thats bull! he made him do a freaking push-up for crying outloud! its not like he put him over his lap and spanked him! they need to learn that there are consequences and by putting them in timeout and sending them to bed without dinner,please you think that works, really! haha thats why we see all of you on nanny 911! go see how a hispanic household is run and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:28:16 PM
revilors

Some of my own clarifications:

* In accordance with your assumed position, you singled out the OP's second job in post #41, possibly alluding to an agenda..of which I won't speculate further but I saw a possible compromise of ethics, though granted, from my perspective. I had an opposing view that I'm sure seems pedantic, guess it's my way to root out the issue in a systematic if somewhat blunt manner. Took some cues from you too, nice work ;).

* I accept that your posts probably have more to do with giving a hypothesis of the employer's viewpoint rather than a defense of their position.

* Yours was not the only post that I saw some issues with..but post #41 flicked a switch in me. Call it luck :).

* And ding ding ding AGREE! that the OP would've been better advised to take time out himself til it blew over. Then you sorta went downhill with rhetoric. Sorry, couldn't help myself lol. Okay okay put it down to hypothesis.

* Btw when I read post #6 I fully agreed .

Whatever the case with the OP's employment, the wishy-washy walnut head of a boss f*cked the OP about and that's not good enough. At-will or not, an employee that has given 3 years of loyal service doesn't deserve to be mucked about by an employer caving in to the demands of a petulant parent.
It's a travesty that the employer and parent have NO accountability for their actions.
 Revilors
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/16/2009 11:31:27 PM

In accordance with your assumed position

Read your email for my actual position.

Here's the thing.

In a free society...we create our expectations of what we want to get from our career. If our job does not meet that expectation...we are free to leave and find one that does.

Why are we critical when our job does the same to us if we don't meet theirs. Expecially given our current economy. It's tit for tat....not.

So...as in every other aspect in our lives...we can choose to whine about it...or do something about it. Whether it be in your job or relationship...raise your stock and reap the dividends.
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2009 1:46:14 PM
OP

There are contracts and legislations. When people tell you to forget about it and move on, that's ignorance. Who are you going to go to for a reference. Questions like, what was your last job etc... Like what the hell people? You can know your rights. Find out the reasoning of your dismissal. Keep a paper trail. There are labor boards and people out there that can help you.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2009 2:22:06 PM
Heh, if that were me, I would've fought it tooth and nail. Heck, I would've done more than a push up depending on what he did. That and I would've called the Mom an idiot for wanting to fire someone for doing something that the Mom should've been doing in the first place, disciplining there kid.
And if it were me dealing with you, I would not only have your job, but I would have your freedom - I'd ensure that formal charges were filed against you and even if I had to miss my son's football game, I'd make damned sure that I was there to see you jailed.

Bottom line... if you don't like the job, don't do it... if you are having issues with one of the children, bring this to the attention of your supervisor. You are not a law unto yourself.
 late™
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/19/2009 2:30:23 PM

Your decision to abandon the protocol, replacing that discipline with your own, was a mistake in terms of the parameters of your job.

This is where the line was crossed, whether or not the parents tried to discipline the kid is immaterial; they did not sign their kid up for any other form of "correction" other than what's explicit in the protocol.
 Crane38
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/20/2009 7:14:03 AM
Dealing with kids is a sensitive issue for sure. Yes a differnt approach was needed but you should have gotten permission. You went outside the lines and could possibly have left the camp open to a lawsuit if the kid had a medical issue, that is why you likely got fired.
WantaSmart 250 pushups and every thing else you said I call BS! You might have done 250 pushups at 10 but I bet it took you a week to do them!
 pappy009
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 9:59:54 AM
With my parents, and someone told me to do some push ups...I would do twice as much as what the instructor told me...my mommy and daddy would insist. People baby there kids way to much to day....way to much!!!
 RSwindol
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 1:37:24 PM
I would suggest you find out what the organization's termination policy is. You can contact their HR and they are to provide you with this information. If their actions contradicted any kind of written policy, then you may have an argument. Unfortunately, the likelihood of you getting your job back is slim to none, but at least you may be able to save someone else the same fate in the future.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > This is how I lost my job folks, what do you think?