Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Male/Female Roles - Can You Deal With Change?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Male/Female Roles - Can You Deal With Change?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Some years ago my Musical Director complained that the traditional male/female roles were changing and it was hard for her to find a man who was a man. I had not given the matter much thought then as that had not been my experience.

Nowadays, I notice that more and more men aspire to be house husbands and to be 'kept' by their lady. It starts off as a joke, but they are not really kidding; they are just waiting for the mummy figure who will take care of them for life.

Is anyone else unnerved by this swift in social norms?

If you are female, would you want to (or do you) have the upper hand in the house?

If you are male, do you dream of (or live) this carefree lifestyle, or do you feel emasculated by the idea of a woman having the upper hand?

Personally, I side with my Musical Director, but it would be great to hear your views.
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Male/Female Roles - Can You Deal With Change?
Posted: 9/20/2009 5:03:43 AM

By the way, what is a Musical Director and why do you have one?

It is a person who is responsible for the musical side of a show. I no longer have (or need) a Musical Director because I am not currently involved in any productions.
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 5:10:33 AM

I have a friend who stays home and looks after her 2 kids while her husband works, there are no eyebrows raised at that arrangement in the slightest so why should there be if the roles are reversed?

Because it is not traditional for the man to stay at home. Furthermore, a man can earn far more money than a woman can doing the same job (yes, I've heard of equality but you'd be surprised how easily employers can dodge it). And a female is by nature more nurturing than a male. Females are programmed to stay near their young and protect them; males are programmed by nature to go out and fight (or at least have a few pints at their local)
 Write Time
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 6:03:40 AM
I like my self-sufficiency, thanks -- and that means taking care of the kids, my household and myself. I don't want to be "kept" by anybody, nor do I wish to do any "keeping."

Now, talk to me about somebody who wants to *share* some responsibilities, and then I'm interested.

Partnership sound good. A merger or acquisition? Not so appealing.
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:01:08 PM

I must admit I've never heard of or witnessed the swift in social norms you mention
OMG! I meant to write 'shift'. Brownie points to you for noticing the error. Typing with 39 fever is not my strong point. LOL
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:13:00 PM
Perhaps I have not explained my point well. When I wrote this post I was thinking of people like my ex partner who admitted that he was looking for a woman to mummy him. I have also noticed a lot of male profiles here stating they are looking for a woman who is richer than them and can provide for them. Even young men are cheeky enough to think that a woman will come along and they'll get the car of their dreams and the expensive holidays, etc. They aspire to be TROPHY MEN! This is the shift I cannot deal with, that soon we'll have to buy our men...
 ~Hams~
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:24:21 PM
If you are male, do you dream of (or live) this carefree lifestyle, or do you feel emasculated by the idea of a woman having the upper hand?

I'd love to be a toy boy for a rich older lady and be taken on holiday to exotic places.

I'd pretend that she had the upper hand to keep her happy but I'd still wear the trousers.
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 1:48:12 PM
That society has got it wrong is evident by the number of people living on their own. In the old days, the singles were so few that you'd call a woman a spinster and a man an old boy if they hadn't married. Now the singles outnumber the couples and the world is full of frustrated and bitter people though nobody will truly admit to it. They are all 'so happy to be single' that it is amazing sites like this exist.

I miss the time when men were men and women did not have to prove anything. I'd rather have a man who says 'woman!bed! now!' than a man who is waiting for me to make the first step and is always asking me if it is alright to do this and that.
 Loose_end
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 1:12:50 AM
Well SSBBW i think you've hit a pretty good point there......

While i personally think it's great that we have a lot more equality in our World.

Part of me is sad that being a Mum/Housewife or whatever you want to call it isnt quite the same these days. Because i think it's probably the hardest, yet most wonderful life choice a Woman could make

I look at my Mum, a remarkable Woman, who didnt need a 'career' she didnt need or want 'childminders' she never needed 'after school clubs' and neither did she need maternity leave......

She wanted to be there when my brother and i went through our pre-school years. She wanted to be there when we left for school in the morning and she wanted to be there when we got home from school in the afternoon. She took a part time job in the school kitchens, which was her money and hers alone to spend on any treat she wanted...

She was the glue that held our family together, she was strong, yet delicate, she never felt undervalued or second class and she knew that between her and my Father, she would almost always get her way.

As for my Father, he worked hard, it's true he actually earnt the 'cash' but he always appreciated that it was my Mother who was the real 'earner' in our family. He loved and respected her and in many ways he treated her as more than his equal. He was the protector and the disciplinarian. But he was always guided by what my Mum told him....

Good luck to everyone, whatever path they choose in life, whatever kind of family unit they want...........

But for me personally, if someone offered me a relationship similar to the one my parents had, I'd grab it with both hands and say thank you very much

Well................Maybe not now, i'm a bit too old to start that baby making malarkey all over again.........But never say never

Actually...........i'll be 40 soon........I'll say never
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Male/Female Roles - Can You Deal With Change?