Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phones and the first date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hoyos
Msg: 65
Cell phones and the first datePage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Life was so much simpler before cell phones.
 OyVay...
Msg: 66
Cell phones and the first date
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:36:54 AM
Cell phones...hmmm, guess where I come out, is you shouldn't answer it.

I have a number of cell phones, some for business, 1 for personal use. 99 out of 100 times I only have the personal use one with me.

Most of us remember when cell phones were either too expensive or less a part of our lives than today. I'm sorry, calls for an emergency I can understand. But when you recieve a call or far worse texts, for me it's over.

I think there is an element at work of "self importance" that didn't exist a while ago. We must text, tweet and update our FB status for what reason? I'm sorry, where you are at the moment, your personal views posted as a tweet, is beyond vain, on a date.

"If it bothers you, why not just say something to that person?"

Well to me, it says something about how important I will be in their lives should we continue to date. That's one of the things I want to know or figure out on a first date. THAT'S why I don't mention it before the date.

As for saying something to that person, if it wasn't an emergency, I usually do. Buh-bye!
 ForumsGee
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/2/2011 11:00:44 AM
My last LTR was continuously on the phone, texting, checking a blackberry that kept notifying him messages..found out later he was on several dating sites and that was the reason!
 nikkisenko
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/2/2011 2:43:29 PM

If you are married to your job and not allowed any "you" time, don't consider dating until you are retired.

Wow! How negative! I pointed out that it is pretty rare that my "off-time" is majorly interrupted by business. But, it does happen sometimes. I probably get phone calls once or twice a month, text messages anywhere from four to six a night.

I am a Safety manager. If they are calling or texting me, someone at the plant is HURT. They may need SERIOUS medical attention. Were I not to respond, my job would literally be on the line and I would personally have to explain to the executives...."Oh, well, I was on a date, so I couldn't be bothered to address the problems you have entrusted me to handle". I have 3 kids to support. That trumps all. Sometimes, it sucks. But, it is the job that I have right now. So, the occasional interruption of a text or phone call, I can handle.

I would hope anyone I would care to date would be able to understand that I do have responsibilities in life outside of dating. I expect to extend the same courtesy to them. In fact, if they didn't, we would not be compatible.

If I was just texting my friends, taking phone calls and yakking with family at random, THAT, in my opinion, is rude. Anything else is just life.
 lotustemple
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/2/2011 3:06:24 PM
^^^nikkisenko, are you literally on call 24/7, 365, isn't that illegal?

Once i thought cell phones to be beyond annoying, now they are my friend. Because rude people are no longer cloaked for long at all. Give anyone a cell phone or similar gizmo and their level of respect and sophistocation becomes clear on one date.
 nikkisenko
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:13:24 PM
Essentially, yes, but I honestly don't know of any manufacturing manager who isn't. It isn't illegal. We are all salary and it is just part of the job.

My position isn't really that bad. I don't get interruptions very often. The production managers on the other hand, they get phone calls every night.
 _allen_
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:32:52 PM

If you are married to your job and not allowed any "you" time, don't consider dating until you are retired.

Wow, count me out of the dating scene then. Me, my phone, and my job are all joined to the hip at this point in my life.

Back on topic, I keep my manners in check during dates, personal meetings, and business meetings. The phone stays in my pocket, on vibrate until the meet/date is over. Then and only then will I bury my head into the soft glow of it's LCD screen.

I expect my date to show me the same courtesy. Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case in a lot of my first meets. This is also the reason, why I don't schedule second dates either.
 lotustemple
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/2/2011 5:37:29 PM
Wow, count me out of the dating scene then. Me, my phone, and my job are all joined to the hip at this point in my life.

Ya know, the more time i spend on the internet the more money i make, however part of being self-employed is knowing when work is over. Strive to be balanced in life, and all will fall into place.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/2/2011 6:03:17 PM
Back on topic, I keep my manners in check during dates, personal meetings, and business meetings. The phone stays in my pocket, on vibrate until the meet/date is over. Then and only then will I bury my head into the soft glow of it's LCD screen.
--------------------------------------------------
That's the kind of manners that I'm talking about, Acting Right which is proper. I don't mind the whole checking the phone, cuz when I'm out with friends I'll do that do or when I'm in church I'll pull a quick check. But on dates or at work when it's crazy, my phone stays in my pocket unanswered or put away.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/3/2011 1:58:25 PM
Constantly checking your phone is very rude & shows your interest is not on your date! If a guy texted during the date I would leave. If you have to check your phone, or check in w/your kids, do so when you go to the ladies/mens room.
 skychaserjeff82
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/4/2011 2:07:12 AM
I understand this perfectly, so I turn my cell phone off when I go on a date with someone :) It tends to be a much better to pay attention to your dating partner or they lose interest quickly.
 grandmacheri
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 5:59:36 AM
Since the invention of the "smart phone" most guys can't find their way to the mens room without it! How sad is that
 OyVay...
Msg: 77
Posted: 12/4/2011 11:13:38 AM
I reread the thread, and some of the posts behind me. Sad really.

There are any number of posts that clearly state, my phone is more important to me, than the date I'm seeing. So then why date? You already have a SO, your phone.

Then there are those with the excuses. Yeah but... they all seem to begin, as though somehow, their lives are so very different than the person they are seeing. I doubt it's validity, whatever the excuse.

Then we have work. Well in some cases, I guess that could be so. Even then dates can be made at optimum times, when work is less likely to call. Still I don't really believe that! I doubt we have surgeons a plenty on call, for critically important operations, or some similar professions. No these people simply use a better excuse.

If where sandy is hanging out tonight, or that bill is bored while playing pool, or you need to see how that game is turning out, and can't wait until you get home. You shouldn't waste most people's time! You are self centered and a jerk.

Perhaps the best since it seems, some of you think I am wrong, a statement would be in order before the date. Just say "hey I'll go out with you, but if my friends text me, or call, I'm gonna text back or take it". Then at least they know where they stand on your pecking order.

Never make somebody a priority, when priority to them is their phone.
 earthboundangel67
Msg: 78
Posted: 12/4/2011 11:54:37 AM
I wonder how any of us ever survived before the cell phone or all this technology. I usually keep my cell phone on silent or vibrate. I feel there is so much noise all around us I dont like to add to it. I also drive with the radio off sometimes, just to enjoy the peace & quiet.

I am a single parent, and in 15 years have never had an emergency happen while I was out. Had one incident happen before I was leaving for a date when my oldest was just learning to walk & staying with my sister. She had a cute minature shopping cart & had him push it to show me, he fell, hit his mouth, blood everywhere, she had to leave the room cause she was so upset, I looked after it, she insisted I go out, phoned my date who proceeded to not believe me because I was late due to this. Guess I should have had him come over to her place to see for himself. I couldnt be bothered. Oh well, his loss! Not saying it cant, but thinking surely people should learn to enjoy the one they are with at the moment...without all those outside intrusions that are non emergent.I trust those that care for my children. I also trust my children. I am always available for them , especially for an emergency. But really, how often does this truly happen. I also want them to realize as they get older that mom needs some adult time too. And they learn to respect this. But, guess to each their own.

I dont necessarily agree with calling someone just to chat while out with someone else....surely it can wait for an hour or two. I simply dont answer. How did we ever survive before answering machines. Now its cell phones.I was also married to a doctor, and they generally have pagers if there is an emergency, and unless they are on call, ER doc, Maternity doc, they generally can spare a couple of hours...and when people are on call ( I have been also), they generally let the person they are with know in advance. Some stay close to home & their work when they are on call. I would hazard a guess that if someone is on call, they generally dont set up a first date. And I think it has gone too far overboard with all the technology available. It is affecting relationships, & even to the point of replacing them. Face to face communication seems to have become a thing of the past.
 kmxplore51
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/4/2011 11:57:24 AM
When on a date, I only answer my cell phone for the following people:

i) My son
ii) My daughter
iii) Friends of my son: if they want to find out where he is
iv) Friends of my daughter: if they want to find out where she is
v) My ex: if she wants to find out where my son is
vi) My ex: if she wants to find out where my daughter is
vii) Teachers : if they want to find out the status of kids homework
viii) Girlfriend of my son: if she wants to find out where my son is
ix) Boyfriend of my daughter: if he wants to find out where my daughter is
x) Boyfriend of my ex: if he wants to find out where his girlfriend's kids are
xi) My boss
xii) My poker buddies: if they want to find out where the next poker game is
xiii) My soccer buddies: if they want to find out where the next soccer game is
xiv) My book club friends: if they want to find out the next book we are reading
xv) My Hiking group: If they want to find out the details of our next hike
xvi) My ex-girlfriends: if they want to find out that I am still happy without them.
xvii) And of course, the president

Otherwise, I am totally focused on my date. Ooops… excuse me, my cell phone is buzzing…..
 NuMeNow
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 3:53:09 PM
I find it to be rude and disrespectful, but that’s only my opinion. As first impressions are important, I am definitely not impressed if my date is constantly checking/picking up calls/texts.

I personally silence/switch off my cell phone during a first date/meet for the same reason I do not subscribe to call waiting. If I am in a conversation with someone I want to give them my full attention and not be distracted/interrupted.

Whatever did we do before cell phones???

In most cases there will not be an emergency. If you have to be in constant contact for work, kids, etc., then explain that to your date and excuse yourself to check messages.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phones and the first date