Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Body Type...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Edsta
Msg: 40
Body Type...Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

I'd say there would definitely need to be some sort of minimum ratio of chest circumference:waist circumference that favours a noticeably larger chest, maybe 10:7 at least or something.

I'd agree, though a shoulder-to-waist ratio I think would be even better.

Avoids the problem of man-boobs.
 89*4L
Msg: 41
Body Type...
Posted: 10/8/2009 8:49:23 AM
Having an athletic body means you can do athletic things. It doesn't mean what you look like. And there are different types of athleticism. Hence different types of athletic bodies. From a 440 lb strongman to a 140 lb trackstar they are both considered athletic but in their own rights. And they are usually very specialized enjoy being a little more well rounded. Well not physically well rounded, you know what I mean. Take care of yourself.
 jaqi
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/8/2009 1:27:50 PM
At the end of the day, for the purpose of a dating site 'athletic build' must be purely asthetic as the first thing the majority of people do is check out the profile photo.

I see guys who lift very heavy weights who have bulked up but they have large girths~mostly because they love their beer too much~and to me that would not constitute athletic for this purpose though I am sure they would be very quick to put themselves in that catagory on a site such as this.

I have seen a number of men who state they are athletic build and in their photos they just look what I would call average.

Sizing for a man would see the waistline being at least 10 - 14 inches smaller than the chest.
 Willys Wild Wheaties
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/8/2009 1:43:46 PM
"Having an athletic body means you can do athletic things. It doesn't mean what you look like"

What part of "body type" is so hard for you to understand....that wasnt even the question of this thread or other threads....otherwise, it would ask for "activity level"....

Belle Requin
Msg: 44
Body Type...
Posted: 10/8/2009 2:06:44 PM
^^^ Exactly! Are we going to let plus sized women say they have athletic body types simply because they can run 8k and play in a recreational volleyball league?

As some of us have stated, it's aesthetic based, not performanced.
 Edsta
Msg: 45
Body Type...
Posted: 10/8/2009 3:52:43 PM
I have seen a number of men who state they are athletic build and in their photos they just look what I would call average.

Well, this is where it would actually be helpful to have MEN post their measurements (assuming that they don't lie, of course)---because the way that 90% of mens clothing sold in the US is cut, you can't really tell that a guy who's not bodybuilder-huge is athletic because it's very hard to find shirts or jackets that fit them in the shoulders without billowing around the waist.

That's probably why some guys post pics of themselves shirtless or in a Hanes undershirt, or even a compression shirt.

Though I'm sure there are many who are just shamelessly lying, as well...
 Edsta
Msg: 46
Body Type...
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:32:44 AM
^ Oh I think you're definitely athletic, no question.
 etourdi77
Msg: 47
Body Type...
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:58:14 AM
This is a funny thread............arguing about athletic build.........like everyone else I think its is more about how you look than whether or no you are actually athletic..I think athletic means a more lean muscular look....I put athletic on mine cuz I am an athlete, not because I am lean.....lol but put what you want it doesn't really matter people will view your pics and make their own assessment...
 jaqi
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:05:04 PM
.... and very nice you look too Squelchmeister ... the shirt shows off your physique better than the T shirt as that is a little too baggy round the abs Though having said that I prefer to see a guy in a nice fitting T shirt rather than a proper shirt.

89*4L
Msg: 49
Body Type...
Posted: 10/9/2009 5:27:16 PM
But the question 'what body type' has NOTHING to do with personal fitness. It's not performance based at all, it's entirely visual/aesthetic.

Says you. Some people agree with you, but not everyone missy.
 89*4L
Msg: 50
Body Type...
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:02:05 PM
^^^ Exactly! Are we going to let plus sized women say they have athletic body types simply because they can run 8k and play in a recreational volleyball league?

As some of us have stated, it's aesthetic based, not performanced.

SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS USERS NEED TO FACTOR IN THEIR VANITY LEVEL WHEN CONSIDERING WHAT TO LIST THEIR BODY TYPE AS INSTEAD OF USING PERFORMANCE BASED RESULTS. YOU'RE RIGHT, THAT IS SO MUCH BETTER. I ALREADY KNOW THE COUNTER ARGUMENT: KNOWLEDGE OF SELF APPEARANCE DOESN'T MAKE ONE VAIN.
 texasbeach
Msg: 51
Body Type...
Posted: 10/15/2009 7:23:22 AM
POF Admin, PLease HELP
Body type is too subjective and nearly useless.
Average does not mean 20 pounds overweight
A few extra pounds doesn't mean obese
Athletic can be fat or skinny

SUGESSTION
Height and weight required would end all this mess.
Then the viewer can decide for themselves.

For example, I think a woman of 5-4 and 112 pounds is just right for me,
where someone else might find her a bit skinny and be much more
comfortable with a soft and curvy 5-4 and 140 pounds.

Please just let US decide the physical part that we are attracted to .
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 52
Body Type...
Posted: 10/15/2009 8:20:33 AM

Helpful for women, but virtually useless for a lot of men. If you're 5'10"-6' and spend five years lifting weights religiously and weigh 220lbs you could well have a nice six pack and look completely different to a man of the same height and weight who's never been to the gym in his life, despite having the same measurements.

What about us women who lift religiously?

I probably could have been way past my goal weight had I not been lifting what I do. If I keep the rate I am, I am going to be a "healthy" size and look... yet my weight will still be high. There are several other female body builders and weight lifters who will never weigh under 175. You want their chances on a dating site to be base lined on the numbers on their scales?

No... that option is NOT helpful (nor fair) to women same as is it not for men.
 TheReason_
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/15/2009 8:55:50 AM
Again. Body type on the site is use to describe how thier body looks. Now how healthy they may or
may not be. Again. I go to the gym 3 times a week, for 90 minutes. Before the snow I was biking 22km a day. When our pool opens I'll be lane swimming an hour on my cardio days. I also snowboard 1 - 3 days a week during the ski season

All athletic pursuits. I've dropped 50lbs in the process, went from a 44" waist to a 36" waist (a couple weeks and I'll be moving into 34's" but I will not change to athletic body type until you can see my abs, which i'd guess is another 20 - 30lbs from now. I'm happy being "average" though I'm not, according to the BMI, then again 175lbs at 5'11" is never never land for me. I'll be happy at a good solid 185lbs.

Average covers a lot of ground, and looking around i'm tempted to put athletic, in comparison to some of the "average" people here, but I'm holding off, until I clearly define an athletic body.

I have my height and weight posted on my profile. I weigh myself every morning, on my scale, naked.

If you want ladies, I could weigh myself on your scale...

In the morning....

Naked.

;)

(j/k)
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 54
Body Type...
Posted: 10/15/2009 8:58:52 AM
it can be estimated through pictures

But this is exactly my point and what I was saying. Numbers will never say what posting a picture will. I wasn't getting into an argument of female body weight... I was saying one can very much look (and be) in shape/healthy, yet the numbers make them sound obese.

However, for example, Denise Masino is 5'3" and in her off season weighs 143. If one did not know she was a body builder and only saw "Female; 5'3; 143 pounds" They'd instantly think she was over weight.

I have been joking with myself and friends that at the rate my body is going and the way my muscle is building, I am going end up a size 6 and weigh 200 pounds. I am not on steroids... my body just seems to be some sort of freak in the muscle department. I, personally, have had to learn that the numbers on the scale really means nothing. I had to learn it first hand through trying to lose weight and realizing I am not losing pounds all that fast. I just wish others understand that just putting someone's stats on a dating site won't solve anything. It'll only add the chance for more people to be even more cruel than they already are.
 TheReason_
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/15/2009 9:10:15 AM

I, personally, have had to learn that the numbers on the scale really means nothing. I had to learn it first hand through trying to lose weight and realizing I am not losing pounds all that fast. I just wish others understand that just putting someone's stats on a dating site won't solve anything

yep. For me the lbs are dropping. But I find how my pants fit is a better indicator. It's always a nice feeling to move to that next smaller belt loop.

Put 10 people in a room, all the same height and weight, they will all look different. Everyone carries their weight differently.
 napaulm
Msg: 56
Body Type...
Posted: 10/16/2009 3:55:06 PM
look at my profile pics and tell me if im average or athletic. i cant really see myself without being dissapointed in how i look
that being said, really! its just looks, and looks get boring . even the hottest looking woman has been dumped by somebody. personality lasts and is what's more important in the long run.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/16/2009 4:51:25 PM
With all due respect, if someone decided to click on Denise Masino's profile based solely on her height and weight, they'd be getting quite the surprise.

In her case, her "reported" weight doesn't seem to fluctuate much, but bodybuilders' physiques often morph widely between on- and off-season. It's one thing to claim to have a lot of muscle, but if there's a load of fat covering it, that might change what body type one selects for their profile.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 58
Body Type...
Posted: 10/16/2009 5:03:25 PM
The point I was trying to make was that it's ignorant to look at someone's height and weight and think THAT is the best criteria of deciding if they are healthy or in shape enough to date.

As for the topic of the thread.... people should be honest with themselves and put what category best describes them... along with a picture. EVERYONE! Not just the ones who could be considered overweight.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 59
Body Type...
Posted: 10/17/2009 5:42:13 AM
Okay, I will use myself as an example.

I have lost ten pant sizes in the last year (almost getting into another one)... but only 50 pounds. I bench press and squat a rather impressive weight for a man... let alone a woman. My legs are solid and cut and my arms are following suit. I DO hold a lot of muscle. Like I said, at this rate, I will still be close to 200 pound range when I hit a decent size and shape. It would be completely unfair to have to put my height and weight and ignorantly be judged solely on that. ESPECIALLY after losing so much weight and inches AND being able to lift what I lift.

The point is... the men of this site seem to be so obsessed with the number on a scale that they feel it is a waste of their time to learn about the person the numbers belong to.

Ex:

Height and weight required would end all this mess.
Then the viewer can decide for themselves.

If this man saw no picture of a 5'4"; 140 pound woman... he assumes she is soft and curvy.... not well built and muscular.

Making women put their numbers... yet saying men differ so much there is no need....
 TheReason_
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/17/2009 7:27:28 AM
Napaulm I'd say you are definitely athletic. That's my goal to be slim and trim with some muscle.
 jaqi
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/17/2009 12:44:58 PM
napaulm definately gorgeously athletic but I am sure you know that already. We all have a different reflection staring back at us when we look in the mirror to what other people see and none more so than those of us who are training hard to achieve a certain goal pertaining to strength/shape/body composition.

My weight doesn't worry me as it isn't my goal to lose any...if it drops then that doesn't worry me either so long as my muscle mass doesn't drop as it is all to do with achieving that personal ideal.

What MD says about stating your weight is right when you are building muscle, if I just wrote my height/weight ratio I would be percieved to be heavier looking than I am. I am a uk size 8 but before I started using weights I was 14lbs lighter to fit in to the same size!
 koncrete
Msg: 62
Body Type...
Posted: 10/23/2009 4:07:55 AM
Being athetic is more than about being thin. For men its about being able to lift more than your body weight for reps, not a single one-two time max, in certain areas(bench press, pullups, dips, squats,etc) and being able to work out hard playing basketball, or going up stairs without tiring quickly. You should have a fairly low body fat percentage and have some muscular results to show.
 jaqi
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Body Type...
Posted: 10/23/2009 10:24:35 AM

Ooooo just noticed this post texasbeach and by your calculations I must be in that soft and curvy bracket! I am just under 5'4 and 132.8lbs!
 Edsta
Msg: 64
Body Type...
Posted: 10/23/2009 11:43:57 AM
Ooooo just noticed this post texasbeach and by your calculations I must be in that soft and curvy bracket! I am just under 5'4 and 132.8lbs!

That's where bodyfat % comes in. A highly toned, muscular person like you confounds all the usual bodyweight and body-mass-index standards.

In other words, I highly doubt Mr. Texasbeach would kick you out of bed for eating cookies... : )
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Body Type...