Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OneMoreNutt
Msg: 3
Have you ever risked it when the pic just didn't do it for you?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Yes. I've met some who I wasn't so sure I was physically attracted to the pics, but their profile just spoke to me. I figured, what do I have to lose, other than an hour of my time and a couple dollars for coffee? No biggie. Turned out to be a good thing.

On the other hand, I have met some people who I thought were very attractive physically, but then when I actually met... their personality was just ... blah.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 4
Have you ever risked it when the pic just didn't do it for you?
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:31:37 PM
I can honestly say that most every person I have met from the internet had a picture that reflected their true self. For many their picture didn't do them justice.

I met one woman on a whim that neither of us even saw a picture of each other. We dated for over a year and are still friends today.

One that comes to mind that fits your post criteria was a woman who recently moved to my area. Her picture was a bit distant and looked out of focus. In our conversations she presented herself as "sought after" back home. When we met there was no attraction for me at all. It was all wrong. Some times "the look" has nothing to do with whether or not you are attractive. She was just not attractive to me.
 Merrylass
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:32:08 PM
I've been to POF events and met POFers and everybody looked better in 3D than they did in their pictures. One guy's photos were so bad, I insisted on taking better ones for him.

Humans are 3D, not 2D. You cannot tell what a person really looks like until you look at the actual human being. If you insist on thinking a photo tells all, you run the risk of missing out on something great.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:32:25 PM
Yes.
Some women just aren't photogenic.
So I mainly go by the eyes and what we talk about before we meet.
 ~*Isabel Kitty*~
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:39:14 PM
Yeah, I don't judge by looks. If they connect with me, who cares what they look like...after you fall in love with them they are or should be the hottest person to you anyway?
 GlindaTheGoodWitch
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:40:08 PM
Yes, I've met guys whose pictures did not excite me at all, and even in person their looks did not excite me, but their personality and our rapport DID excite me. Both I dated for a while but it didn't go into a long-term relationship.

P.S. I don't want to be judged on MY looks. My personality is SO MUCH better than my looks.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:51:08 PM
I've told part of this before, but yeah. I met a guy from another site that wasn't as cute as his picture (he was rounded, balder, etc), but he was so nice that I went out with him a couple more times. Just as I was trying to figure out how to give him the "just friends" speech he walked right up and kissed me. Wow, what a kiss! We dated for a few months - until he decided he could do better and went in search of her.
 Stafford_Jim
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:57:56 PM

Yes, I had chatted with a gentleman on and off for over two months. I was not that excited about meeting him. Because in his picture well, lets just say he was not my type. Finally I decided why not? WOW! he was so much better looking in real life.

I get that a lot too. I clean up real well but I just don't photograph well. LOL
 zangie
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 8:26:34 PM
I have both contacted men who had no pic..but, what they said or how they said it on the forums or in their profile attracted me, and have met guys whose pix were so so, but, in real life were quite attractive to me..I think most people translate better in 3D...I certainly do...most guys I have met say I am far more attractive in person , than my pix often allow ( plus, I don't take very professional pictures)( guess they took a chance then too, huh?..lol).

I also think the behavior and personality has a lot more to do with sexy or attractive than people realize...especially for women...

Also, like others have said...I don't understand the urgency of needing to find the hot look for a meet? Either we are attracted to each other or we aren't...I see it as a chance to meet a new person, not a life long commitment or obligation...it's just a date...
 duffy_ty
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 8:29:00 PM
People have to be honest and post a recent picture of themselves. My picture is current and I have men at single's dances approach saying they know me, but they don't they just know the picture.

Sometimes though things can happen in your life that may change the photo.

So that everyone knows on September 2, 2009, i was cow kicked in the face by a horse. I lost 2 teeth and right now my mouth is wired shut. The healling is coming along really well. (I lost 12 lbs) I now weigh 88 lbs.

I'm not going to update my photo just yet. But i will be honest with people that I meet. It will take me a year before I'm fully recovered. The normal 8 weeks for the healing process and then any other work, wether dental or cosmetic will take up to a year.

I don't like it when someone doesnt' attach a photo. These men say they don't like looking at themselves so they don't have photo's.

The way I look at it the guy will be attracted to the photo. We all have someone out there who would just melt when looking at you. AND then some will pass you by because the picture did not appeal to them. I was told by my counsellor that I have to love myself first before I can fall for someone else. Especially after being abandoned by what I thought was the man that I was suppose to live with until death set us free. Now I'm just waiting for that special person that feels for me the same way I feel fo rthem

Just be honest with yourself as if you're not tou're the owne who will get hurt.
 duffy_ty
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 8:34:37 PM
Back in the good old days, when we were just wee little people starting out in the dating world, it was WYSIWYG. I was not attracted to my husband. He was a nerd, overweight, didn't look after himself. BUT we started dating and within 3 months we were madly love. It lasted 30 years and one day as quickly as he came into my life he walked out. I came home to a letter.

A nice picture, a beautiful face, that helps but in the end it's what's inside that counts. Those were the best 30 years of my life.

I hope one day I will have 30 more better years than what he gave me. Still looking. ;-)

Do you think I should go for the looks this time? I mean I went for what was inside just to severely injured by that person.
 duffy_ty
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 10:41:39 PM
People have to be honest and post a recent picture of themselves. My picture is current and I have men at single's dances approach saying they know me, but they don't they just know the picture.

Sometimes though things can happen in your life that may change the photo.

So that everyone knows on September 2, 2009, i was cow kicked in the face by a horse. I lost 2 teeth and right now my mouth is wired shut. The healling is coming along really well. (I lost 12 lbs) I now weigh 88 lbs.

I'm not going to update my photo just yet. But i will be honest with people that I meet. It will take me a year before I'm fully recovered. The normal 8 weeks for the healing process and then any other work, wether dental or cosmetic will take up to a year.

I don't like it when someone doesnt' attach a photo. These men say they don't like looking at themselves so they don't have photo's.

The way I look at it the guy will be attracted to the photo. We all have someone out there who would just melt when looking at you. AND then some will pass you by because the picture did not appeal to them. I was told by my counsellor that I have to love myself first before I can fall for someone else. Especially after being abandoned by what I thought was the man that I was suppose to live with until death set us free. Now I'm just waiting for that special person that feels for me the same way I feel for them

Just be honest with yourself because if you're not you're the one who will get hurt.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:49:01 AM
I'm shallow - and proud of it. So .... no.

I would say that only about 50% of the girls I have met from online have been completely honest with their pics in the first place, so you'd better believe I am not going to err on the side of fug!

If a girl who looks like an 8 or 9 turns out to be a 6, I can only shudder to think what a 6 would be....
 WalkingInLondon
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/24/2009 2:01:14 AM
I've gone out with guys who's pics were so-so, but the phone conversations were fantastic, so I took a risk, yes. Some turned out to be better looking, some didn't. But it didn't matter, what mattered was the personality, looks change you know...we all get fat or thin, older, more wrinkles, and everyone has stinky breath in the morning. LOL

Beth
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/24/2009 6:15:46 AM
Yes, I met someone whose picture I didn't really find attractive. But he turned out to be much more attractive in person.

He turned out to be nuttier than a fruitcake, but more attractive in person.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 6:30:04 AM
Photos can be deceiving in both ways, some may look better in their photos and some worse. So I don't judge too much on photos.
 Walygatr
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:18:35 PM
I looked at your photos, you do photograph well. I think it's a thing alot of us have when looking at our own photos.
 Stormwolf
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:21:36 PM

lets just say he was not my type.
Finally I decided why not? WOW! he was so much better looking in real life.

Stop making me blush!

I once met a guy here on POF for coffee. His profile picture was so-so. He was wayyyyyy better looking in person!!
(the only problem was that HE knew he was hot...and that was an instant turn-off)

I'll work on my "Tude" Thanks.
 Vannili
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:29:35 PM
For me it has nothing to do with features it has something to do with personality, most I dated I am attracted to their pics personality otherwise I won't meet them, but it doesn't mean that I am already taken in that person when I meet him....
 dondea
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:39:24 PM
taal, are you kidding? I agree with Walygatr....Ah, but you are young!!!
 RUmPsHaKER
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/24/2009 4:09:42 PM

Have you ever found someone really interesting "on paper" (and/or through email or chat)

absolutely

but found the picture wasn't attractive to you, and then taken the chance to meet the person in RL? If so, how did that turn out for you?

yes.....and it turned out exactly as i expected.....see for me, mental stimulation is a "must"...but, there has to be a physical attraction as well for me to want more...

Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 4:54:24 PM
Absolutely I have! If a person can look much better in their online picture than in a real world setting, doesn't it stand to reason that some people could be just the opposite, and look better in person? I know I usually get that myself, that my photos don't do me justice, and I realize people just aren't photogenic. But seeing them three dimensionally and getting to observe them and their personality in a dynamic setting, you never know how attracted you just might be. Shallow is as shallow does, and if someone chooses to judge solely on an online picture, even if they might find me otherwise appealing, well, I'd just as soon not meet that type anyway. Seriously, how big of a risk is a drink or a cup or coffee!?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/25/2009 4:33:02 PM
Yes, I have met many.

About 99% of the time, it meant that I would be a friend but not a lover. It is amazing how many men won't take the first without the last.
 daynadaze
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 10:25:23 PM
I don't care if they have pictures or not, and I don't assume I really know what they look like even if they do have pictures. Sure I react to the photos, sometimes Whoa and sometime Ouch, but I would never not meet someone interesting because of their looks, now their bad habits might stop me like not showering or behaviors/lifestyles, but their genetic looks, no.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2009 12:18:20 PM

Have you ever found someone really interesting "on paper"?

Negatory.

Quite the contrary, actually.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >