Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Pre-nups agreements in the UKPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think it is good to plan ahead for everything. It is not defeatist planning your funeral or making a will; why should signing a pre-nuptial agreement be?
 try1more
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Pre-nups agreements in the UK
Posted: 9/26/2009 1:27:00 PM
unless things have changed a pre-nup is not legally enforceable a court can just ignore it if it chooses and just follow the law as it stands. so check it out before you think of relying on it!
 NicolaSeven
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2009 5:43:59 PM

What do others think ?

If I had assets to protect I would absolutely ensure they were protected.....

Even if I didnt 'get' what anyone else would 'get'.....
 Warrencraig
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:20:50 PM
In an ideal world of love, marriage and living happily ever after..... then pre-nups have no need to exist.

Sadly i think very few relationships are like that. As has been said with 45% of marriages going to fail and the fact the courts are currently biased against men (although that will change eventually), its quite understandable that people will want to protect assets incase things go wrong.

It can be an especially sore subject with pensions and such like. Someone can have one short lived relationship loosing them a significant proportion of a pension which theyve spend decades paying into and will have to suffer the loss for the whole of thier retirement.... hardly fair in that case.

Plus sadly all the trust when you get married can go out the window when you split up. I dont know why so many people when they split up turn into nasty psychos out to cause as much havoc as possible while they bleed thier ex partner dry!! (males AND females do it), but sadly it happens all too often and a pre-nup agreement if enforcable has the ability to stop this happening.

The laws need clearing up with co-habiting couples too and there needs to be a review of the court system so it takes a better view of things as too often it seems the court doesnt see/consider the full picture of whats going on and it seems to be who can shout the loudest/afford the best solicitor that wins. And all too often the person whos getting screwed over is unlikely to shout loud as they just want rid of the psycho ex!!!!

Also anyone whos been burnt before will naturally want to protect themselves. I know for a fact that i would want to protect my pension and house, especially as i already get the pension so its worth a hell of a lot of money to me over the next 40 years or so especially if i was to loose 50% of it for a relationship started AFTER i earned the rights to that pension.

It doesnt help that when kids are involved you can loose everything very easily. Sure nobodys saying the children shouldnt come first but often it doesnt seem right the way things end up. I remember being forced out of my own home after being dumped by my ex and having no right to stop her because she had the law on her side because of her having children (not my children i may add!!!), i was especially disapointed with the police who supported her despite me calling the police because of her behaviour!! f*cking rediculous if you ask me!!! It annoyed me further that I had to give her "reasonable" time to find alternative accommodation despite me having nowhere to live!! And i was informed that if i did anything like not pay mortgage or try to sell house then i would be breaking the law!!! Luckily she left within a week. Insane when you consider i wasnt married to this woman and i had no legal responsibility towards her kids from a previous relationship, and the only reason she moved in with me was because shed been made homeless and was living in a homeless hostel which was an appalling place to bring up kids. Try to do the decent thing and you can get so screwed for it!! And people wonder why many people arent prepared to trust inherently and 100%??

I think while the laws dont seem equal/fair and while people still have a lot to loose then people will want pre-nups.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2009 9:51:10 AM
I agree with pre-nups. Where significant assets are concerned you should only take out the same % that you came in with and a share of anything that was earned/accumulated during the time you live together. You shouldn't be able to gain financially out of a marriage if you had no part in accumulating those assets. I do think though, that keeping things 'fair' is always going to be a bone of contention.

If a woman or man gives up a good career to be a stay at home parent or if one person gives up work due to their partner moving a lot ie Armed Forces then it should be taken into account that they will then be several years behind in their earning potential/personal pensions etc when they return to work.

The divorce rates show that a huge number of marriages fail so it's sensible to 'be prepared'. Trouble is, love often makes us blind to being sensible.

A colleague at work sold her house, made 40k on it and put it into a joint mortgage with her 'partner' whom she was going to marry. 8 years on they never got round to getting married and are splitting up - she is going to lose a huge chunk of money and won't be able to afford to buy again. He's laughing especially since she is the one who has always been working to pay the mortgage and bills. He worked when he felt like it.
 zerotasker
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2009 11:24:29 AM
I hate to scare folks, but it makes very little difference these days if you are married or just living together. The Family Courts in this country cannot be reported in the press and some of their decisions are absolutely disgraceful. Anyone entering into a long or even medium-term relationship should be prepared to lose 50% of all they own. I kid you not!

Even the current Government has said that they are worried about the state of these Family Courts, but they cannot obtain enough information to deal with the problem properly.

As someone said previously, a court can ignore any pre-nup if it feels like it.
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:04:52 PM
Msg 42

And, as has also been said, no such thing as a pre-nup in UK law either, that's another urban myth.

Pre- nuputial agreements are legally enforceable in Scotland, and will be in England and Wales, probably in the next few years.

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snha-03752.pdf
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 3:17:45 AM
I may be mistaken but seems I have heard several time on the radio news that 'partners' ie over a year living together are going to have 'rights'. Not sure if this is law, or just being proposed.

Either way, I won't be taking the risk
 Bassbob47
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 4:22:37 AM
totally agree with them, too much to lose
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >