Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Does this change your mind about spanking your child?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FalconDear
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Does this change your mind about spanking your child?Page 2 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
madarnj - you are an abuser if you hit to relieve stress. You should never, ever hit anyone and you should seek counsel for anger management. Perhaps you didn't learn this as a child... I did because I watched my father contain his anger with the stupid things I did to push buttons.

My son has learned how to contain his anger by watching me... just as my little one will watch as well. I am glad you are breaking that cycle but don't bunch us all in your category. We aren't.
 mandanj
Msg: 35
Does this change your mind about spanking your child?
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:11:38 AM
My dad taught us to never hit out of anger. He would go quiet, point to the room and tell us to wait. We would wait until he cooled off...sometimes up to an hour... then he would come in with my mother, explain that what we did was wrong, hear our side of the story and then and only then...would we get paddled. With a paddle - not his hand.

Well, there you go. I absoulutely disagree with that type of spanking and punishment.

The paddle, wooden spoon, etc. are abuse in my opinion. Making a child cowar and wait for their punishment is abuse in my opinion.

Would it not be better if your father cooled off and then heard your side of story, gave you a hug and moved on with the day? I don't understand what adding the paddling inot the equation added to it.

Just my opinion. We are going to disagree and it is what it is.
 FalconDear
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:17:25 AM
cower??? you think I was cowering??? Lol, then you don't know me. i wasn't cowering. I was screaming and yelling and telling him that he can't tell me what to do. I just knew that when my dad was mad, truly mad.... that I needed to obey him.

I respected him and as you seen in my post... it was only after hearing our side of the story that he would paddle us. Then after, he would go out to the shed and put a hole in the board. We kept that old board for years and I think among 5 kids, there were only 17 holes in the wood.
 mandanj
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:18:56 AM
have a pre-set "list" of what is right or wrong

Ah, there you go.

Children test out limits, especially toddlers. They are not privy to your set list of rights and wrongs. So, in your case, they do something on your list, and they get hit. They do something else, they get hit.

Process of elimination is very stressful for children.

I was not attacking you personally about your choice of discipling, nor that you make your children "cower". That is what I have seen in some cases of the discipline tactics you describe. You are taking this too personally. Those that use physical contact on their children are going to defend their actions, those that use it sparingly, or not at all will defend their and we ALL have our reasons for it.

I was not taken to a room and paddled or hit with a spoon as a child, and I choose not to do that with my child. She has been spanked twice in her life and all it did was to cause her to have an emotional breakdown and taught her nothing.

Parenting with discipline is a cycle. We do what we know. You both were spanked, so you choose to spank, in whatever form you do it in. That is your choice.

itsallinthesoul
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:18:58 AM

I spanked my ex-wife. Are you telling me I should have gone to jail?

that depends on whether or not she asked for it (verbally asked for it) and whether it was part of a punishment thing or a pleasure thing for her

One does have to wonder though at the correlation between pain and sexual pleasure......but that would be an entirely different thread for a different forum altogether.

That's the problem with all of this. Some people think hugging is inappropriate too. Pretty soon all human physical contact will be outlawed because somebody has found something that makes it inappropriate... in the setting they've examined. Nobody ever considers any of the variables. It's either right or wrong. I just don't see it that way. As long as I don't have my own hidden agenda, I can see the many different variables.

Well hells bells, that is one wacked way of looking at it..... Lets keep the law on the books to protect our right to hug our children.......

We already have rules of conduct with respect to physical affection crossing the line from nurture to sexual abuse and those lines are very clear...the lines between corporal punishment and physical abuse are not very clear....

We tell our children that if the physical affection makes them feel uncomfortable, they need to tell us.....but when we are spanking them, how comfortable do you think they feel?

I think you may be accusing me of having an agenda of my own. I do have an agenda...let's be clear on this. I don't want to physically punish my children and I don't want ANYONE to physically punish my children. I would love to debate the topic with anyone who believes in corporal punishment as the best parenting tool available but quite frankly you cannot debate a topic such as this...it is far too emotional a topic for many and way too personal.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:24:49 AM

The paddle, wooden spoon, etc. are abuse in my opinion.

It is defined as abuse under the laws of Canada...you are not permitted to use anything but your hand if you strike a child........you can only strike a child between the age of 2 and 12 and only on the torso.....the punishment must be "fleeting"....whatever the hell that means.

But to get back onto the topic....that being the correlation between the use of corporal punishment and IQ......let me ask you adults a question.

When you are personally under stress, are you a good listener? How is your memory?
 FalconDear
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:25:45 AM
[One does have to wonder though at the correlation between pain and sexual pleasure......but that would be an entirely different thread for a different forum altogether.]

Actually I am looking for the link now.... there was a study that came out about two months ago that shows that the release of cortisol during a spanking between two consenting adults actually allows them to bond. It allows them to set limits and build trust...to know that the other person will not hurt the other.

Hmmm, definately interesting thread. Never would have thought about it had you not mentioned it though. What does this say about children? If that study is effective in adults in building trust, does it do the same between parent and adult? I spank but my child knows that I do not spank out of anger and that I would never spank hard enough to hurt. There is trust just being built in that situation.

Very good topic. OP you are great in getting discussions going. Now, let me find that other study.
 FalconDear
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:30:53 AM
Stress and memory: Actually, a little stress improves memory. It is continued stress that does not.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=stressed-out-memories

[Your first kiss. Your wedding ceremony. The time the car spun out of control and just missed the oncoming truck. Where you were when the earthquake hit, when Kennedy was shot, on 9/11. Each detail of such life-changing events is etched forever in your mind, even though you may not recall the slightest thing about the 24 hours beforehand. Arousing, exciting, momentous occasions, including stressful ones, get filed away very readily. Stress can enhance memory.

We've all had the opposite experience when under stress as well. The first time I met my future wife's family, I was nervous as hell; during a frantically competitive word game after dinner, I blew the lead of the team consisting of my future mother-in-law and me by my utter inability at one critical juncture to remember the word "casserole." Some instances of failed memory revolve around infinitely greater traumas: the combat veteran who went through some unspeakable battle catastrophe, the survivor of childhood sexual abuse--for whom the details are lost in an amnesic fog. Stress can disrupt memory.

For researchers like me who study stress, this dichotomy is quite familiar. Stress enhances some function under one circumstance and disrupts it under another. Recent research shows just how short-term stressors of mild to moderate severity enhance cognition and memory, whereas major or prolonged stressors disrupt them. ]

So my question: In a normal functioning house where the child isnt being abused and takes punishment and moves on...is there long term stress???? Nope. I didn't grow up in a stressful house...only when I knew I did something wrong and was waiting for dad did I stress. But I can sure tell you every thought I had while waiting for him and on more than one occasion, vowed to never do it again.
 mandanj
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:33:21 AM
The only hitting in California that is legal is an open hand, avoiding the face, with a mark that does not last for longer than 30 minutes.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:40:24 AM
Colarado, I do think that any punishment delivered in anger is not as effective as delivering "punishment" in a calm manner. Even with the use of timeouts, it is important (according to the experts) not to angrily toss your child into a timeout but to calmly explain what they did wrong and direct them to the timeout area.

I can readily admit it is at times challenging to not react in anger but I manage it fairly well because I have learned how to recognize my emotions and take the steps necessary to calm myself before I act.

I was raised in a home that was high stress and a lot of extreme punishments. Teaching my sister and I how to manage emotions never was something my parents seemed concerned with....getting us to do as we were told when we told to do it was their #1 priority. My sister and I both had to learn as adults.

We have both broken the cycle and chosen to raise our children differently. She has never spanked her kids but she did the "Vulcan grip" on their shoulders while hissing in their ear to knock it off. All three of her kids are either in/graduated university, they are all well-adjusted, nice, respectful, intelligent young adults. I will need to wait a few years before I can even hope to declare with any degree of certainty that my techniques were successful...so far so good with my 15 year old son but as they say...It ain't over til the fat lady sings and she is not even humming yet. Unfortunately, I cannot make the claim my sister can to never spanking :( but in my defense it was done sparingly.
 Jaxi_2008
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:45:28 AM
It used to be legal for a man to hit his wife as well, as long as the strap or the stick or what not was no wider than his thumb. Here are some other interesting laws that are apparently *still* on the books in the UK today.

A law passed in 1585, making it illegal for women to “cause a nuisance with abusive or argumentative language”. A woman guilty of scolding had to wear a scold’s bridle, or metal cage, enclosing her head.

In York it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow upon seeing one, except for on Sundays. However any Scotsman caught drunk or with a weapon can still be shot on a Sunday, except with a bow and arrow.

In London it has been illegal for a man to hit his wife after 9pm. Indeed, wife also needs some time for rest.

It is illegal to either shave, work or to mow your lawn on a Sunday.

These were all laws that at "some point" people found valid and ethical. I wonder if spanking or corporal punishment will be one of those laws that people far into the future will look at and think, "People were actually allowed to do that?"
 mandanj
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:48:02 AM
I can readily admit it is at times challenging to not react in anger but I manage it fairly well because I have learned how to recognize my emotions and take the steps necessary to calm myself before I act.

Exactly. I grew up in a violent home. Violence was done in anger. It is a cycle. We do better when we know better.

As I said, my child has been spanked with one swat on the bottom, twice, in her eight years. It does not work for me or her. Though, neither does the other forms of physical punishment done after a cooling off period, so I choose different.

I work with 2-5 year olds and of course we are not allowed to hit them. We are forced to use other methods and it works.

different things work for different people

What about the children in the equation? Not all forms of discipline work for each child, even without violence. I work with 2-5 year olds and of course we are not allowed to hit them. We are forced to use other methods and it works.
Some children a time out works, some children not allowing them to play with a favorite toy works.

Those that go straight to hitting, without trying other methods I believe are doing a diservice to their children, but again, that is just my opinion.
 Ffrin
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:49:45 AM
My children are now in their late twenties. To my everlasting shame and regret, I did smack both of them a few times. As a child I was hit a lot. But I have a brain the size of Marvin the Paranoid Android's, so imagine how clever I would be if my mother and father hadn't whacked me so often.
 FalconDear
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:57:23 AM
its: i agree with you. however we learned how to control our emotions from different paths. I learned anger management from my parents and my son learned from me. You had to learn on your own, which you then passed on to your child. I wish others would recognize that in themselves and take classes and learn it for themselves too. It sure does make having a peaceful house easier.

But I think what is happening here is people who cannot control their emotions feel that nobody can and so they work hard to push their inadequacies off on the rest of us. I also think that good hearted people would rather ban something and prevent parental abuse rather than show or teach adults how to be parents if they didn't learn already. There is quite a bit of ignorance as we have both seen on some of the other threads. Just the idea that someone would hit another, adult or child, out of stress or anger is sad.

The funny thing is some would look at the vulcan grip as preventing a child to leave without bodily harm...and call that abuse. Some would consider forcing a child into time-out as abuse... there is always something that someone doesn't like. We had a case down here in America a couple of weeks ago where a child was homeschooled, ahead of her peers in many areas academically, participating in sports but because her father didn't like that she was being raised religiously, had the court come in and order her into public school. He seen her religion as an abuse that had to be corrected. I think the point I am trying to make is someone will always have a problem with something... IMHO: smoking around a child is a form of neglect... as is parents who shack up with a new man/woman every weekend, and moms who move in with men after two months... but that is my opinion.
 Spagett!
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 12:29:15 PM

And furthering that thought, if it's effective, why don't we spank adults?

We do, it's called life in prison/capitol punishment.

Also, I often wonder, if those criminal adults had been spanked as kids: "Would they have learned that breaking the law is "bad" not the other way around?"

This thread is another classic case of "moral pushing".

I don't agree with spanking, so EVERYONE shouldn't agree with spanking.

Some things, like raising ones children, boils down to personal preference. Personal preference is neither "right" nor "wrong" in a definite sense of the word. It is; however, "right for you" or "wrong for you". Those two statements do not give people the right to push the "right/wrong" into the public, because EVERYONE is not like YOU.

Keep out of people's lives, it is none of your business what others do (Unless it is effecting you of course.)

Watch, the implications of abuse/etc are to follow.
 tass08
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/27/2009 1:29:19 PM
I agree Jaxi.....and I also agree that this among many studies in human nature are inherently flawed because one cannot account for all the factors in the human psyche that could affect the outcome. Still, this study among many others go to demonstrate that corporal punishment has negative affects on children - are they all wrong?

So you agree that this study and others conducted in the same manner are fundamentally flawed, but you still say it demonstrates something valuable. Bullshi|t says I. Either a study is reliable or it's not. Using a poorly constructed soapbox to stand on when you make your point doesn't give your argument more authority, it just means you'll use anything to get your point across. Bear in mind that I agree with your position on corporal punishment.
 That Guy Him
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/27/2009 1:31:00 PM
We already have rules of conduct with respect to physical affection crossing the line from nurture to sexual abuse and those lines are very clear...

Are they? I remember hearing about cases where fathers had their children removed from their care because they were allowed to share a bed. There was never any sexual conduct taking place... just a mere belief that the possibility could exist. How far do you think we really are from getting our lawmakers from outlawing fathers from hugging their daughters... mothers from hugging their sons? I've seen people pushing for it.

edit: It's already grabbed hold in schools:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21097673/

http://current.com/items/90120301_schools-ban-hugging-enforce-3-second-hug-rule.htm

Children can't hug their friends in school. It won't be long until someone finds a way to expand the inappropriateness of it to include them hugging their parents.

I think you may be accusing me of having an agenda of my own.

No... I'm accusing the people who conducted this study of having a hidden agenda.

I would love to debate the topic with anyone who believes in corporal punishment as the best parenting tool available but quite frankly you cannot debate a topic such as this...it is far too emotional a topic for many and way too personal.

I am neither in favour of nor do I oppose it. It is simply a disciplinary measure. Admistered correctly, it can be an effective tool in helping a child learn that there are consequences for their actions. Administered incorrectly, it can inflict severe emotional trauma.
 InNCsearching
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/27/2009 2:06:02 PM
well i guess from the beginning of time til 20 years ago when this whole non-spanking thing came about means...the whole world is populated by idiots. i don't buy it. it's bullsh#t. unles you spank the child in the head like a professional boxer just one more thing to make this a child centered world. last time i checked, children do not make money and need a good swat on the butt to get their attention when acting out. these will be the same kids that get in a fight for the first time and wonder....owww...that hurt. wait you mean if i piss someone off they will hit me? duh...dam right they will.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 2:11:55 PM
I think the research is flawed. they aren't sitting on their heads. If that were the case, being one that was spanked and has an iq in the genius level,are you saying It would be even higher?
 shrimp46
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/27/2009 2:54:36 PM
If my kid missing up in a F..... store Im gonna beat her ass...No BRUISES ...She will know Not to F...up again ITALIAN DISIPLINE
 hooked_and_happy
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 3:58:36 PM

This thread is another classic case of "moral pushing".

I don't agree with spanking, so EVERYONE shouldn't agree with spanking.

That's exactly how I read this thread too.

I was spanked, as were my brothers... not bad enough in that I can remember, but I do remember seeing my younger brothers spanked. We're all pretty smart (if I do say so myself). We all graduated from college/university and hold pretty great jobs.

Besides, what does IQ have to do with it anyways? I'm sure that if I were to get an IQ test that it wouldn't be high enough to say I'm anywhere near genius standards. I'm smart at my job and other things in that I need to know in life, but things like math and science... not so much.

So what do you think? If you spank, does this latest study change your thinking about spanking?

Not even a little bit.

I don't think that spanking should be the sole way parents discipline thier kids, but I'm also not going to tell them that they can't.

Keep out of people's lives, it is none of your business what others do (Unless it is effecting you of course.)

Yep, what he said.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 4:49:04 PM
I am not opposed to ALL spanking, and wouldn't deem it as abuse, however, I do think that spanking is NOT discipline. Spanking makes the parent feel better, while teaching the child ONLY that if they pizz off someone bigger than they are, they will get hurt. Don't get me wrong, I have given my kids a swat or two in their lifetime, but never without a warning, and a specific one at that, admitting that I will use my hands to stop them from acting out, if they aren't willing to listen. A quick swat is sometimes the most effective way to stop a particular behavior instantly. If we tell ourselves that it teaches children how to behave, though, we are fools. Frankly, some of the posts are disturbing. How unfortunate that ignorance cannot be beaten out of you.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2009 9:13:53 AM
I think it is a flawed study because the only way to really measure this would be to take two children who by the age of four had not been spanked with the same IQ and have one in an environment within which they were spanked and one that wasn't.

The differences in IQ can be genetic and relating a great deal to more than just whether they are being spanked, i.e. are the spankings like some people that they are few and far between and primarily related to physical danger type issues or does the parent spank them for most of the discipline and also not spend the type of quality time with them that develops their intellect because in addition to being spanked, they are neglected.

Unless the study controlled for parenting style, with IQ such a touchy issue (cultural bias and other issues) to begin with because measurements are flawed and IQ is only a base line for how well the child will achieve in school, I wouldn't put all that much stock into the study.

Something like this would really only work with twins separated and adopted out at birth to two very different homes.

For example, was talking to a woman last night whose son was six months younger than her niece. The niece was being raised by the grandmother and she literally didn't talk to her (her marriage had split by then and she was raising her by herself with no one else in the house) when she was very young, was far behind the younger cousin with language acquisition until the mother of the grandson said you need to start talking to this girl, read books or the newspaper, doesn't have to be kid stuff, just read and talk to her. If they had been measured at that time for IQ there would likely have been a huge difference between the boy and the girl and I don't think intelligence wise, they are that far apart at the age of 18, I have met the boy and he is just socially strange, lol.

When people see studies like this and particularly articles about the studies, there is usually no discussion about whether the research design was adequate to eliminate all of the many variables. This is similar to much of the divorce and its impact on children studies that have not controlled for efficacy of parenting before or after the split, while they have begun including that in the factors they are evaluating. Obviously if parents are parenting poorly before the split and they don't improve after the split, it is going to be traumatic for the child, duh. If the child is parented well by at least one of the parents prior to the divorce and that good parenting and even possibly improvement on the other part of the parent occurs, these children cope as well and most often better than their peers that aren't being parented well and live in highly contentious two-parent homes. Even if neither parent is doing well before the divorce, often the custodial parent gets it together and does better when the stuff with the spouse isn't in the middle of every single day.

For this study and future studies of this nature to be meaningful, a great deal of information about overall parenting, particularly whether they are doing anything to stimulate the intellect is important information that must be included to determine whether spanking is the single factor impacting IQ performance. At 4 and 5, school has not had that much of an impact on the child's development although with older children, school could narrow the gap relative to intellectual stimulation of a child. But my parents were school teachers and any good teacher will tell you that it is only the extraordinary child that will really do well, no matter how smart they are, if the parents don't really understand that housing, feeding and clothing is only a part of raising their children.

Ohwhynot makes a good point because there is a huge difference between spanking as a main disciplinary tool and spanking occasionally and doing the other things you need to do to teach a child the proper way to behave.
 big pacific
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2009 9:27:01 AM
Another case of correllation vs causation in my mind.

I think another poster said it, and i agree. I think the tendancy for spanking children is far more prevalent in lower education and lower income families. Sure there are exceptions, but I'd bet that stat would bear out.

IQ is menatal age as it relates to physical age, if you are in a lower income/educational househould i think it bears out that they would have a lower mental age. As an average i would also bet that the average iq of parents that spank is ALSO lower.

Hell some of the smartest people i know are conservatives, but have you seen that map that showed the average IQ of states that went to george w bush in the 04 election? Holy Cow it was damning.
 futureshock
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2009 9:30:00 AM

Spanking Found To Have Negative Effects On Low-income Toddlers
ScienceDaily (Sep. 15, 2009) — A new longitudinal study that looks at how low-income parents discipline their young children has found that spanking 1-year-olds leads to more aggressive behaviors and less sophisticated cognitive development in the next two years. Verbal punishment is not associated with such effects, especially when it is accompanied by emotional support from moms. In addition, 1-year-olds' fussiness predicted spanking and verbal punishment at ages 1, 2, and 3.

The study, which explored whether mothers' behaviors lead to problematic behavior in children, whether children's challenging behaviors elicit harsher discipline, or both, appears in the September/October 2009 issue of the journal Child Development. It was conducted by researchers at Duke University, the University of Missouri-Columbia, the University of South Carolina, Columbia University, Harvard University, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Beliefs on spanking vary across cultures. In this study, the researchers looked at more than 2,500 exclusively low-income White, African American, and Mexican-American mothers and their young children, interviewing and observing them at home when the children were 1, 2, and 3 years old. All participants' family incomes were at or below the federal poverty level.
Using their own interpretations of spanking, mothers reported how often anyone in the home had spanked their children in the past week. Researchers also made in-home observations of how often mothers verbally punished (scolded, yelled, or made negative comments) their children during the visits.
The study found that African American children were spanked and verbally punished significantly more than the other children in the study. The authors speculated that this may be due to cultural factors, such as belief in the importance of children's respect for elders and in the value of physical discipline to instill that respect. Moreover, some African American mothers say that in preparing their children for a harsh, physically dangerous, and racially discriminating world, there is little room for error in their childrearing.
The authors also uncovered information about the effects of those types of discipline.
"Our findings clearly indicate that spanking affects children's development," according to Lisa J. Berlin, research scientist at the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University and the study's lead author. Specifically, children who were spanked more often at 1 behaved more aggressively when they were 2 and had lower scores on tests measuring thinking skills when they were 3. These findings held up even after taking into consideration such family characteristics as mothers' race and ethnicity, age, and education; family income and structure; and the children's gender. The study also found that children who were more aggressive at age 2 and had lower cognitive development scores at ages 1 and 2 were not spanked more at ages 2 and 3. "So the mothers' behaviors look more influential than the children's," said Berlin.
Unlike spanking, however, verbal punishment alone didn't affect either children's aggression or their cognitive development. But interestingly, when verbal punishment was accompanied by emotional support from moms, the children did better on the tests of cognitive ability.
The study was funded by the National Institute of Mental Health.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090915100941.htm

Spanking May Cause Long-Term Harm
Study Finds Links Between Spanking And 10 Negative Behaviors
(CBS)  After analyzing six decades of expert research on corporal punishment, a psychologist says parents who spank their children risk causing long-term harm that outweighs the short-term benefit of instant obedience.

"Children become aggressive, delinquent, and have mental health problems, both in childhood and in adulthood," Elizabeth Gershoff, researcher at Columbia University's National Center for Children in Poverty, told CBS Radio News.

To read the rest:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/06/26/health/main513469.shtml

Study: Harm Outweighs Benefits of Spanking
washingtonpost.com,

Spanking children can make them temporarily more compliant but causes more problems than it cures by raising the risk that children will become aggressive, antisocial and chronically defiant, according to new research

To read the rest:
http://www.nospank.net/n-j15.htm

IS CORPORAL PUNISHMENT AN EFFECTIVE MEANS OF DISCIPLINE?

WASHINGTON -- Corporal punishment remains a widely used discipline technique in most American families, but it has also been a subject of controversy within the child development and psychological communities. In a large-scale meta-analysis of 88 studies, psychologist Elizabeth Thompson Gershoff, PhD, of the National Center for Children in Poverty at Columbia University, looked at both positive and negative behaviors in children that were associated with corporal punishment. Her research and commentaries on her work are published in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin, published by the American Psychological Association.
While conducting the meta-analysis, which included 62 years of collected data, Gershoff looked for associations between parental use of corporal punishment and 11 child behaviors and experiences, including several in childhood (immediate compliance, moral internalization, quality of relationship with parent, and physical abuse from that parent), three in both childhood and adulthood (mental health, aggression, and criminal or antisocial behavior) and one in adulthood alone (abuse of own children or spouse).
Gershoff found "strong associations" between corporal punishment and all eleven child behaviors and experiences. Ten of the associations were negative such as with increased child aggression and antisocial behavior. The single desirable association was between corporal punishment and increased immediate compliance on the part of the child.

To read the rest:
http://www.apa.org/releases/spanking.html

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Does this change your mind about spanking your child?