Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lilpaco2
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Does this make me a cougar?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
If you are comfortable in this relationship then you should not care what others think. My son is with someone that is 10 years older than he, he is 24 and she is 34 she has two other sons and they have a 3 yr old (my sons by choice). He helped her through some very hard times and that grew into a relationship. They are now engaged.

As his mother I was apprehesive at first, however I always believed in their choices and got to know her and we are close now. My son has always been mature for his age and was not a party type of guy and he said alot of girls his age was hemce why their relationship grew. They have been together for 4 years.
 bikeman1467
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Does this make me a cougar?
Posted: 10/4/2009 11:03:00 AM
What will people think if we start dating and should it matter?
Who cares, and no.

I told my friend about him and how we shared alot of common interests and she made me feel insecure with that one comment.
Common interests are all that matters, and your friend is jealous.

I have never dated younger men than me so Im a little worried now.
Don't worry, be happy! Go for it!

Oh please, you are hanging out in a sports bar after being stood up...what hangs out there? 20 - 30 something guys. Why are you shocked one approached you? How many other 40 yo women were in there...or women in general? You just got stood up, so you were probably looking sad and pissed off. You were probably one of the only women in there so you were an easy target for a pick up. Sorry, it's true. Now go on and fvck him and when he doesn't text you back in a few days, come post back about your experience. If you go out more than once, it will be a fvck buddy situation since he doesn't want his friends to know about you.
Meow. Mew.

Guess you never heard of Buzztime trivia. It's a fun thing to do. Buzztime sites are predominantly in sports bars. Ohio is a big time Buzztime state. For ladies, it's an easy way to meet intelligent guys.
 TheReason_
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2009 12:09:24 PM
I dont' think people will even notice. Have an enjoyable time! My ex wife was 9 years older than me. It was all good.

:)
 CharmedinKtown
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/5/2009 12:47:45 PM
A cougar hunts... goes out to snag a youngun.

A milf or mature woman is pursued. OP... you rock, he thought you were IT and it sounds like you think the same.
 majyk1
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/6/2009 12:35:07 AM
Who gives a rats azz about labels... Just do what seems right to YOU!
 RobertKoi
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/6/2009 5:10:39 AM
"I was at a sports bar playing trivia after getting stood up. After playing for about 1 1/2 hours a man came over and asked my name. He then introduced himself. I asked him to sit down and we talked for over an hour and laughed freely. I was very comfortable. Never once did he talk about sex or anything taboo. Anyway, right when I was getting ready to leave I asked him how old he was (I would have guessed early-mid 30's). He told me 27. It caught me off guard needless to say. He acted much older and seemed very mature and grounded. He was there with his softball team and had noticed me when I first walked in. He let them all leave before he came over. Neither of us had any alcohol. Im 39 almost 40. We have talked several times since and are planning on going out Wednesday. But now I feel funny because of what my friend said. What will people think if we start dating and should it matter? I told my friend about him and how we shared alot of common interests and she made me feel insecure with that one comment. I have never dated younger men than me so Im a little worried now."
------------------
If you have to ask here, then yes - you're a cougar. Although 27 is young but not THAT young, but you might want to ask yourself how much future there is.
 1tf84
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2009 12:04:35 PM
Prrrrrfect! No reason for you to hesitate in the least. I've dated a few older women over the years and based on those relationships, I'll take experience over youth anytime. From a practical standpoint; mutual interests, friends activities, for people in the 30 to 60 age range (middle aged) I'd say you can happily date withing about a 15 year range. I'm picturing a say age 45 woman and an age 30 man. NOT a 32 year old man and an 18 year old woman. the younger you are the smaller the age range.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/7/2009 3:21:29 PM
"A friend of a friend is 50 and seeing a 24 year old, they're having the time of their lives...enjoy!"
----------
Yeah, I'll bet that they have a lot in common. *laugh*
 RobertKoi
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/7/2009 5:01:04 PM
"Would you be saying the same thing if a guy was 50 and a girl was 24?? I bet not. You'd pat him on the back...admit it. Grrrrr!! It's that double standard thing, which I despise."
------------------
It's ridiculous. We all know what it's about - fuc-king and/or money, nothing else. I can only laugh when I hear about such things. Maybe it's time to break records here and start dating 12 year olds or why not 90 year olds at the nursing homes...
 RobertKoi
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/8/2009 6:43:02 AM
"Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but for some people it's actually about liking the person and enjoying their company, whether they be younger or older. It's as simple as that, but I'm sure someone who appears to be as cynical as you are wouldn't understand that."
-----------

*Laugh* Yeah yeah, I'm sure they have a lot in common there...
 WasabiGal
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:36:09 AM
Am I the only one that is sick of the term cougar? I'm AMAZED some women find this to be a compliment.

it's not a compliment.... just a variation on derogatory terms for women, of which there are plenty. Cougar has been around for awhile, and now there are even more terms, such as puma.

There are no equivalent terms for men....even calling a man a "slut" does not connote the same level of distaste as calling a woman "slut"

Your friend is perhaps jealous, and the world order is apparently threatened if a woman is involved with a younger man (because, after all, the world order IS a man with a younger woman). So your friend, perhaps under the guise of humour, is reinforcing this view

I am not interested in large age differences, either older or younger. As for people saying it can't work out...well, how many of your relationshps have worked out? Geez. Relationships do not last forever, ever. One person is always left alone at some point.
 majyk1
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:42:33 AM
Edit: oops wrong spot.

After reading your profile "robertkoi" (or lack of) You seem to be pissed off at the world.

Sure glad we're not all dumb aszes like you. How would you know what people do and dont have in common? You sure your not just mad becasue no one around your age or older would put up with you?
 WasabiGal
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:57:17 AM
just to add something about "cougar"

when this term was first used (about 20 years ago), it was used to describe an older unattractive (50+) woman who was wearing a lot of animal-print spandex, trying desperately and hungrily to hunt down young men in bars. They had face-lifts or some kind of plastic surgery, and were trying to look younger. They were figures of ridicule and contempt.

I think what irritates me is that now that the term has moved into the mainstream, I have heard "cougar" applied to women in their 30s!!! good grief. A 45-year-old man dating a 25-year-old woman is called lucky.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 9:06:52 AM
I think there is no reason not to date regarding your ages, its not like he is an adolesent, he is a grown man and an age difference at your ages are within acceptable ranges. I dated a women ten years older than me. I was 40 and she was 50. I never felt there was anything wrong with it but she was the one that brought up the age and eventually age made no difference. If there was say 20 year difference then that may put a crimp on matters of intrests.
 redheadlady4
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 7:08:58 PM
Hey five....all I can say is..."U go girl" who cares what anyone thinks, there again the old "double standard" ...do what u want to do !!..U are a grown woman and hes an adult as well....
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 9:43:15 PM
Why on earth should you care? I'm sorry your friend made you feel insecure about it.

My mom said this to me once - 'love is hard enough to find, why put any boundaries on it'

Though I think taking that statement too literally would be a mistake, I think in general it holds true. If you like him then go for it. And anyway, if you didn't guess his age then other people probably won't either.
 want to travel
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2009 11:32:48 AM
there something very sad and pathetic about an old woman going after a young male, did you pay for his drinks, sounds like you have serious maturity problems as well as other issues, if my 18 year old daughter wanted to get serious with a 27 year old boy, i would be worried, and i would suggest she look for a man who is at least 30
 Sunsation1
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/16/2009 11:34:36 AM
Women are called "Cougars", men are called perverts...
 kpooks
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:55:36 AM
Who cares what other people think? Will you be sharing your heart and bed with the world, or with him? You liked him, he liked you. If you're a considered a cougar, BE a cougar! Go for it!
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 6:37:11 AM

What will people think if we start dating and should it matter?

They'll think you're providing a valuable public service by being a 40-ish woman taking a 27 y.o. guy off the market, thus freeing up some 27 y.o. gal for us forty-something guys.

But, no, you're not a cougar. Cougars don't have men coming over and asking their names, they don't have men pursuing them at all. Cougars are so old and undesirable that their only option is to treat men like prey, pursuing them aggressively and promising them lots of free alcohol and easy sex.
 abbadabbadoo
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/23/2010 9:51:22 AM
dont mind other people,if you like him and he likes you,,,,go for it,,,,,age difference isnt that much anyway,,,,,,go...enjoy,,,,,lets know how you get on,xx
 SexyKG74
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 11:50:54 AM
OP, if I listened to what others said, I would NEVER go out on a date!

If you enjoyed his conversation, you have things in common, and he's mature...why not!?

I'm just turned 36 this month...on this site and off-line, I get approached by men from their late 20s to middle 50s. I've mostly dated men who were 8-15 years older than me, so it was a little uncomfortable to me when a younger man showed interest. Then I evaluated situations that I've had with guys older than me. I've had 40 y/o men act childish, and then encounter a 26 y/o who had presented himself in a better way. I've met guys who were several years younger who were intelligent/goal-oriented who had accomplished goals/had their sh*t together just as well if not more than a guy 10 years older!

Within the past year, I've learned to be more open when it comes to age...I would have NEVER thought I'd feel that way, but I do now.

Also, when a younger guy approaches you, take it as a compliment to taking care of yourself and having good genetics! The other day, I was dressed casually, jeans/baseball cap look with no makeup. I had a guy who was 30 approach me who thought I was his age.
 sweetm1959
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/23/2010 4:59:52 PM
It makes you what ever you want to be! Screw all of those "what will people say" stuff. Don't hate because we are beautiful! Younger men like older women because we know what we want ulike the young ones and we are not as clingy. You go girl! Aint nothin' wrong with cougars!! prrrrrrrr
 want to travel
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 8:13:16 AM
the same thing they would think of a man dating a much younger woman, that heis getting sex and money or gifts from you, but who really cares what people think..... they always like to think the worst, its up to you to know if your happy, and who and why you see someone
... good luck
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >