Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > Health care      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 26
Health care - ANTI TRUST EXEMPTION?Page 2 of 46    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

In 1945 The Govt gave the health care insurance industry an ANTI TRUST EXEMPTION! (McCarran-Ferguson Act of 1945 (15 U.S.C. ยง 1011 et seq.)

So once again, the govt CREATED the lack of competition between STATES. This explains why I cannot buy insurance from another state!

Why didn't they repeal this law years ago and lower our premiums?

PH, this is brilliant! Just the club we consumers need. Can anyone say, "Consumer's Union?"
 fzrhusker
Msg: 27
Health care - ANTI TRUST EXEMPTION?
Posted: 10/10/2009 10:21:41 PM
Well Ace I believe that is one of the problems repubs have with the current proposals. For some unknown reason the government they won't let business set up co-ops but the government wants ones as part of reform. Sounds like a double standard.

Oh I know why the Fed can do it, because they will give their co-op 5 billion to set it up. So what kind of crappy rules and control will come with that 5 billion, just like any other federal money.

Not sure if I made my point.
 OldFolkie
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Health care - ANTI TRUST EXEMPTION?
Posted: 10/10/2009 10:26:40 PM
^^^ As usual...you didn't.

You Contards repeatedly opine that the the US does not need to emulate other nations (Germany, Sweden, Canada, etc.) and that we can do just fine on our own, and that keeping profits pouring into health insurance corporations is a good thing. This, in SPITE of all the evidence showing that health care in the US is lagging far behind the rest of the developed world. We (Americans) pay more for health care than anywhere else in the world, but we consistently rank at the bottom of the effectiveness of that health care. This is very good for the health care business in this country, but perhaps not so good for the poor American consumers that pay through the nose for crap health care. Is it time for Reform of the so-called system? You bet your ass (and mine) that it is!!!!
 Elmenreich
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/10/2009 10:40:18 PM

fzr babe,
Reichman needs chocolate............................and waterboarding.

He hasn't responded to my offer, I might have to dumb it down...:)
Yes, I got your email, and while I'm flattered, I'm simply not gay. Best of luck in finding that right guy.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 30
Health care
Posted: 10/10/2009 10:55:57 PM
Elmenreich you do realize the message you put in quotes was from a woman, or do I need to explain how to see who posted what and the difference between the sexes.
 Elmenreich
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/10/2009 11:15:35 PM

Elmenreich you do realize the message you put in quotes was from a woman, or do I need to explain how to see who posted what and the difference between the sexes.
Hmph. Thanks for pointing that out. I generally don't read people's profiles on message boards (and after seeing her pictures, I wish I hadn't). In that case, my post should have read, "Yes, I got your email, and while I'm flattered by the offer, you're too ugly for me."
 The Minister of Dudeness
Msg: 32
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 12:36:37 AM
We interrupt our regularly scheduled bickering, er, programming with this incoming message from the Minister of Dudeness:

I generally don't read people's profiles on message boards (and after seeing her pictures, I wish I hadn't). In that case, my post should have read, "Yes, I got your email, and while I'm flattered by the offer, you're too ugly for me."

Bring the one called Elmenreich to me...

So, you're Elmenreich. Listen good, you need to fall out of love with yourself long enough to pay attention to the following instructions:

You shall not reduce the entire male species to being no better than mere dogsh1t on the soles of someone's shoes by making such personal, insulting remarks to women. You are hereby awarded with that exclusive status (read: you are complete dogsh1t, you fool...) And we--meaning all of the members, especially the males, of The Califorum hereby wipe our collective feet to get rid of you and your stench.

No Real Man ever behaves in anything other than a gentlemanly manner towards women--even towards the women who can and do speak their minds. Perhaps you find that trait in some women to be threatening to your fragile male ego. So then man up, Peter Effing Pan.

It's one thing to become a bit too passionate when trading opposing political viewpoints, like we often do here in The Califorum. (Okay make that always instead of often...) But everyone on these heated threads would probably go out for beers together in person if given the opportunity and would probably end up with a grudging respect for each other as being nice, smart people who just have different viewpoints on how to approach things. But you--you are the exception. Nobody likes, or respects, an a$$hole. And aren't you a teacher? Yikes. You remind me of school in August... (No class).

Be advised that me and every other man here are proud--and relieved--not to be your father. Oh, and while we are on the subject, let's give your old man a shoutout... "Hey Mr. Elmenreich! ... Nice work with the boy. Whaddya do, phone it in when it was time to teach him how to be a man?"

I would say that I await your reply that will be predictably turgid, desperate, and in keeping with All Things You--irrelevant, but I'm too busy wiping dogsh1t off of my shoes. Bottom line, I know you are quite used to getting picked last when we choose teams, but quit being a jagoff to women, so when you are being you, you won't also always end up being your own birth control.

You're dismissed. Go.

And I threw your shoes outside...
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 33
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 11:16:41 AM
MD,

Masterfully done, though not exactly the help I was asking for. If you'd point that incisiveness at the flippin' contard sh1theads, I'd certainly be grateful, and so would everyone else who is interested in going out for beers and developing respectful discussions over our disagreements.

I await your response.
 Elmenreich
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 12:21:23 PM

You shall not reduce the entire male species to being no better than mere dogsh1t on the soles of someone's shoes by making such personal, insulting remarks to women. You are hereby awarded with that exclusive status (read: you are complete dogsh1t, you fool...) And we--meaning all of the members, especially the males, of The Califorum hereby wipe our collective feet to get rid of you and your stench.
Um how am I supposed to deal with someone who follows me around, claiming I should be waterboarded?
 The Minister of Dudeness
Msg: 35
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 12:34:30 PM
Ace

Mr. Smooth Operator has just taken himself out of the game as to his credibility level. The classless and unbelievably rude amongst us are so self-adoring that they are too distracted to realize their style is so off-putting that it completely blocks the content of their opinion. The intellectual midgets are so beholden to being narcisscists that they don't realize the greatest sin of all... which is being simply ineffective. Never mind the wasted effort spent in being non-contributory. Also, they provide fodder for those of differing opinions to assume sterotyping, which then hinders true dialogue.

I have not noticed any contards descending into ugly personal attacks regarding an individual's looks, but if I do, I shall pull their file then bring them in for a little chat.

Um how am I supposed to deal with someone who follows me around, claiming I should be waterboarded?

A Real Man does not lower themselves to resorting to personal insults against women, as all of the more evolved persons who are observing such a desperate tactic then focus on the insulter and not the insultee. Learn how to work the spotlight if you want results that advance the position that you advocate.

Besides, if you do not respect someone's opinion--such as you should be waterboarded--why be hurt and threatened by something that you don't give credence to? Do you run from a growling chihuahua like you would from a growling pit bull?

Elmenreich
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 2:22:43 PM
why be hurt and threatened by something that you don't give credence to?
Where did I say I don't give credence to this threat? While I find the threat somewhat unlikely, the poster in question lives in the same city as I do, and could possibly turn her e-stalking into RL-stalking. Seriously, she's been posting one to three responses to every post I make, and it's starting to get spooky. I was stalked by an ex-girlfriend earlier this year, and I don't want a repeat of those actions, so I nipped this one in the bud.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 37
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 2:33:52 PM
Elmenrich let me extend you the same courtesy, though I am not gay, if I were you would be to ugly for me. You would fit in to the Barney Frank of gayness looks. I also hope not to offend any gay person by including you in this example.
 matchlight
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 2:42:16 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think some women can be a real threat. I got into a discussion about health care with one at my gym the other day, and when she raised her voice, well, I have to say it scared me. I'm serious--they make little knives disguised to look just like a lipstick case, for example. I wouldn't put it past one of the "tough Tessies" I see lifting weights in the gym to hide behind a tree and jump me on my way back to my car. I've been able to bulk up from 105 to about 110 pounds, but I'm still a little "on the lean side" for any kind of rough stuff.
 Elmenreich
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 2:44:58 PM

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think some women can be a real threat. I got into a discussion about health care with one at my gym the other day, and when she raised her voice, well, I have to say it scared me. I'm serious--they make little knives disguised to look just like a lipstick case, for example. I wouldn't put it past one of the "tough Tessies" I see lifting weights in the gym to hide behind a tree and jump me on my way back to my car. I've been able to bulk up from 105 to about 110 pounds, but I'm still a little "on the lean side" for any kind of rough stuff.
The incident in question ended with the woman missing, with one person saying that she killed herself. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit; I just don't want to get involved in an incident like that again.
 matchlight
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 5:09:50 PM

The incident in question ended with the woman missing, with one person saying that she killed herself. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit; I just don't want to get involved in an incident like that again.

Golly, I wish you'd said so in the first place! Must have been very traumatic for you. You know, the same person who threatened you once responded to one of my posts with something so hurtful it almost made me weep. I think most people on this forum know how mean she is, but they're just afraid to call her on it. Yes, you--and if you read this, don't you dare torment me again by talking about chocolates, or I'll pout!
 fzrhusker
Msg: 41
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 5:35:19 PM
Please please stalk me, me, me
 Elmenreich
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/11/2009 7:43:58 PM

Please please stalk me, me, me
You obviously haven't seen her pictures.
 sd_matt
Msg: 43
Health care
Posted: 10/12/2009 5:51:50 PM
Pirate

I agree with repealing the 1945 legislation. Also allowing inter-state competition.

Beyond that it is still a sea of info.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 44
Health care
Posted: 10/12/2009 6:21:48 PM
Yep. At some point consolidation will take place, but we'll have recourse via antitrust enforcement. Right now we have essentially none.
 matchlight
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Health care
Posted: 10/12/2009 7:13:41 PM

Just doing those two things would greatly lower health insurance costs.

I agree. It would also help to repeal the state laws that force private health insurers to pay for all kinds of silly, elective services. Everyone who doesn't use these services helps pay for them.

The central problem with medical insurance is that the consumer of medical services doesn't pay their actual cost. Neither they nor the providers of those services have much incentive to use them efficiently. The doctor orders more tests to protect himself from malpractice claims, and the patient doesn't care, because "the insurance" is picking up the tab.

But the insurance company has to make a profit, so it increases its charge. And now that most people expect their employers to pay for their health insurance, employers have to decrease wages to keep the total compensation they pay workers from increasing. They may do this either by decreasing wage rates or by reducing their work force.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 46
Health care
Posted: 10/13/2009 6:56:56 AM
This morning's reporting on the Healthcare Bill making it's way through the Senate Finance Committee states there is no Tort reform, a sure sign of a fraudulent bill in my opinion. Further PriceWaterhouseCooper's study performed for the insurance industry states that $200B per year is spent by Doc's in defensive medicine.

So there you have at least one pillar of the truth, this bill is not about efficiency or cost reduction's, rather a 'path to a single payer, share the misery plan, like Canada and UK and others are trying to run from.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 47
Health care
Posted: 10/13/2009 8:55:24 AM
The Health care bill is a 1000 pages of setting up bureaucracy. There are no specifics in the bill. This is not about Obama , or congress. This about trusting the government machine, those life long bureaucrats that will be creating the panels, boards and managers that will be creating the regulations with little or no congressional oversight. How many federal programs under the machine have gone out of control are bloated, and have created really bad regulations. DO you really trust the system. Be honest.
 sd_matt
Msg: 48
Health care
Posted: 10/13/2009 6:15:12 PM
Thanks Minister. Folks lets please keep this civilized.

fzrhusker I agree with your last post. Before we go anywhere beyond repealing the 1945 legislation we need to fire all those that were looking the other way during the last three economic bubbles. Maybe then with some competent ( or at least those that actually fear for their cush Congress job) people in office we can get some stuff done. 1000 pages sounds like a middlemen scheme to me. Cap and trade sounds like the same. It is difficult to read and understand and I think that's the plan. And now for the broken record; It would be a lot easier to just hand out prize money for solar that costs $.25 a watt and bio fuel that costs $2 a gallon. No results=no prize money. But that would be easy for the public to follow. No I'm not trying to thread jack my own thread but just making a point. Who has time to read a 1000 pages besides the people in the news who will give us anything but the whole story?

And if I follow this right then Obama is going to pull the waste out of Medicare to use it to help finance this new bill. Pffffft! Bwahahahaha!!! As if....And he should be doing that anyway.

As for now the only socialization that makes sense to me is for catastrophic injuries. But aren't we already there.....?

So for now we should just repeal the old anti-trust legislation, observe it's effects for a couple years and then move on
to the next adjustment to the system.
 sd_matt
Msg: 49
Health care
Posted: 10/13/2009 6:28:00 PM
To elaborate on voting some or most of Congress out of office I think this would help big time. I've heard all the arguments about "wasting your vote" ect ect... If both parties lose 20 percent of their seats or more to a third party then it will shake up the system and turn heads from lobbyists to the voters IMHO.

That is not a wasted vote.

And then the other argument; "But what are they going to get done with all those third-party loons clogging up the system?"
What are they going to get done?! As opposed to what?!!

When you put your third party rep into power you send him a letter that instructs him specifically what to do. Who cares what his platform is. If he does not follow your instructions the vote him out. A couple candidates later the message will be Lima Charlie. It may take some years to get the message through but it would be worth it. I see it as an investment.
 sd_matt
Msg: 50
Health care
Posted: 10/14/2009 10:27:30 PM
Just is bad as having a partial-birth abortion. It's one thing to abort a 1000-cell mass but this is just ruthless. I'm a bit pissed.

I think this is more a sad comment on the Brits and their values. But I think it is irrelevant concerning what we can do on a practical level to improve our own system.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > Health care