Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 36
NASA Bombing The Moon, Oct 9thPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Not wanting to cause an "international" incident - but since when did the moon become the property of the US for NASA to do what it wanted with it?

Short answer - it's NOT.

The Japanese, Indians, Russians, have also sent probes to the Moon - and the Chinese are planning manned trips.

Any nation willing to invest in the technology is free to follow suit...
 stargazer1000
Msg: 37
NASA Bombing The Moon, Oct 9th
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:47:35 PM

Well, any other nation that wants to crash probes or land on the Moon is free to do so.

And has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan-1
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/11/2009 7:00:04 AM
Well... they can't use it as a BASE for weapons of mass destruction. (Not a good place for that anyway...)

Although - why some people jump to the conclusion that an uninhabited area is going to *immediately* be used as a weapons-testing facility is beyond me...
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:29:33 PM

Speculation based on non-existent technology is pointless.

As a person with a long track record of creating technology, I find this kind of attitude both disturbing and an opportunity. When competitors have this attitude, they are ripe for the picking. The disturbing part is the hopelessness it espouses.

I see a number of possible ways to create a He3 fusion "reactor". I don't see a reasonable way to catch falling rocks in the upper atmosphere traveling at 17,000 Mph which is the approximate speed they would be traveling. About the only use for throwing rocks at earth from the moon would be as a weapon. Taking advantage of the moon's low gravity and very low atmosphere, this would not be improbable. To my knowledge, only China plans on exploiting the He3 potential of the moon. The same electromagnetic launchers that could be used to send He3 back to earth could be used to throw rocks at enemies.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:33:34 PM

I see a number of possible ways to create a He3 fusion "reactor".

How about practical ones?

The same electromagnetic launchers that could be used to send He3 back to earth could be used to throw rocks at enemies.

With a week-long trajectory travel time, not very practical.
 jeffyb
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/12/2009 1:51:48 AM
some of you still think we (man) went to the moon?? is that right??
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/12/2009 5:37:12 AM
Jeffyb...

Three words...

DO

NOT

START!!!
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 7:13:31 AM

I see a number of possible ways to create a He3 fusion "reactor".

How about practical ones?

It is expected the repulsive forces making hydrogen fusion so difficult are far lower with He3. Yes, practical reactors, maybe even on a quite small scale.

The same electromagnetic launchers that could be used to send He3 back to earth could be used to throw rocks at enemies.

With a week-long trajectory travel time, not very practical.

The Iraq war has lasted how long? Afganistan? How long does it take to prepare a bombing campaign? The long travel time is an advantage in that very little energy is needed in flight to adjust course. The launch energy to escape the moon is far less than the energy delivered to earth because of its higher gravity as your own kinetic system concept demonstrates. The lunar escape velocity as about 5300 Mph but there is almost no atmosphere to interfere with launching. It's a "green" weapon system with virtually no carbon footprint!

Consider launching "dust" canisters as a form of electromagnetic disruption weapon when the dust enters the upper atmosphere or use to take out satellites shotgun style. The variety of possible weapons technologies are quite interesting. As a reminder, only China has committed to actually going to the moon permanently. How's their "human rights" record?

some of you still think we (man) went to the moon?? is that right??

Clear evidence some are still "out there". Now rocketman, what's wrong with the entertainment they provide? These forums are little more than graffitte on digital bathroom walls.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/12/2009 7:25:03 AM
Dave...

The Iraq war has lasted how long? Afganistan? How long does it take to prepare a bombing campaign?

There's a difference - the Iraqis and Afghanis didn't know the bombings were going to happen. Anyone with sufficiently powerful radar installations will know that something is headed their way... with a weeks' warning, they can evacuate the suspected target areas and suffer only property damage. (If you're intending to kill combatants, that would be a tad ineffective... )

Now rocketman, what's wrong with the entertainment they provide?

Just trying to stay *somewhat* on-topic. This thread is about the LRO/LCROSS missions, Apollo conspiracies have a separate thread.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:12:13 AM

Anyone with sufficiently powerful radar installations will know that something is headed their way... with a weeks' warning, they can evacuate the suspected target areas and suffer only property damage

Indeed, they would also have plenty of time to launch countermeasures ("Anybody got a bat?) and a strike against their opponent's Earth-bound assets.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 11:27:05 AM
Clouds of lunar dust hitting the upper atmosphere would likely disrupt power grids and communications. Defending against it would be difficult and assumes you had the technology to use for defense and detection. How many countries could determine a launch, among many legit launches, was hostile? In general, such a weapon would be best as a first strike but without the fallout of nukes. The lights go out, the phones and radio don't work, and the tanks roll in. No fall out and no mass death and destruction for the rest of the world to whine about. A nice "green" weapon against most countries.

The mood is basically made of the same stuff the earth's crust is made of except large amounts of water. Water would be needed for the manufacturing process to build things out of available lunar resources, not just for drinking. To get an idea of the cost of colonization, the most important material to find is water. This impacts the political decisions to embark on such a project. So what's the result?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/12/2009 12:05:53 PM

Clouds of lunar dust hitting the upper atmosphere would likely disrupt power grids and communications.

Um, how? It might make nice light show but, if you're going to declare war, there are far more effective and surprising methods of doing so. Again, there's 320,000 kms of space between us and the moon. If something is wonky in its trajectory, it's going to be pretty obvious pretty soon.

This impacts the political decisions to embark on such a project. So what's the result?

Is that a question, or an implication?
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 1:05:05 PM

Um, how? It might make nice light show but

Like sun spots or high altitude nukes can and do. Unlike the solar particles, this would be higher density and controlled in area. Might make a good theme for a James Bond movie. They already did one on the EMP weapon concept with Golden Eye. Having worked on EMP hardened electronics for the Tiger helecopter featured in the opening, I find this topic interesting.

Wonky trajectory assumes tracking of each projectile, hostile or not, and assumes the resources to do so. The problem is the earth rotates and the tracked object is over the horizon for much of the trip. That means a world wide tracking network. We don't even catch the dangerous asteroids usually until they are leaving after a close call.

I have not seen any analysis of the experiment. The cameras lost the picture supposedly due to the bright light at impact. I am concerned that if NASA didn't get adequate dynamic range from the cameras, what about the instruments they were counting on for analysis? Signal saturation tends to make results worthless as with the pictures.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 51
Posted: 10/12/2009 1:31:54 PM
Sorry, Dave, I'm going to have to call "implausible" on your proposal. Kinda violates the ol' KISS principle. In other words, you want to wreak havoc on another's infrastructure, there's a lot more simple ways than installing a mass driver on the moon.

Actually, they didn't lose the picture. There wasn't that much to see. The "big flash" was actually a dud and was very faint. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. There was a flash only a few pixels across which means the impact may have kicked something up.

They're still compiling the data.
 susan_cd
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/13/2009 1:05:07 AM

why are they even bothering in trying to find water sources on the moon ?

Because if they find it they can transport it to Earth & sell it as the latest designer bottled water for the rich brain dead celbrity market ( Paris Hilton, Britney Spears etc etc ). The cost per bottle would be astronomical & that'd boost NASA's operating budget.

Hmmmm would it be called "Selene Soda" or "Lunar Lager" ?

Maybe "Artemis Ade".....

Naw, those names would be too cerebral for those celebrities, guess it's have to be Moon Juice... the new craze in bottled water, with that out of this world taste!!!
 stargazer1000
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/13/2009 5:13:01 AM
Okay, let's try this again...

It was not a bomb. There were no explosives involved. It was an impactor. Of which, human's have already done before.

There are no moon aliens who are going to get upset with us. No space Nazis. It's okay. Everyone breathe. Take 'em if you need 'em.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/13/2009 1:34:03 PM
There is already a lot of international cooperation in space. The best example is the international space station and there are probably more to come. However, there is probably a lot of international effort in the background of many operations. It isn't uncommon for NASA to bring in outside parties to work on projects in various capacities. Look at the Space Arm on the shuttles, it is developed and made in Canada.

As for China and India, they are new to the space club and I'm sure they want to show the world what they can do before working with other nations and that is perfectly understandable.
 susan_cd
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/13/2009 1:47:54 PM

Why not bomb the moon.
Youve bombed Medway, Mindanao, Okinawa, Tokyo, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, ...

Well, Okinawa, Tokyo, Nagasaki and Hiroshima were after Japan attacked the US at Pearl Harbor, so it was in retalition, not for the hell of it.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/13/2009 1:54:11 PM
[quote Well, Okinawa, Tokyo, Nagasaki and Hiroshima were after Japan attacked the US at Pearl Harbor, so it was in retalition, not for the hell of it.

Don't forget that the casualty projections for an invasion, especially since the Japanese were running suicide missions, was really high. Also, the U.S. wanted an unconditional surrender so that the USSR couldn't pillage some of the Japanese innovations for themselves.

There is a lot of history behind why the bomb was dropped, a lot more complex than some make it out to be.
 susan_cd
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/13/2009 5:34:54 PM

Don't forget that the casualty projections for an invasion, especially since the Japanese were running suicide missions, was really high. Also, the U.S. wanted an unconditional surrender so that the USSR couldn't pillage some of the Japanese innovations for themselves.

There is a lot of history behind why the bomb was dropped, a lot more complex than some make it out to be.

Well, if it were my son fighting in the Pacific & the choice was a simple as "use the atomic bomb, kill XXXXXX # of Japanese & end the war sooner with no loss of American troops" or "don't use the atomic bomb & have a long drawn out war with XXX # of American troops dying" I know what I'd vote for.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/13/2009 6:05:41 PM
I agree. The U.S. had a tough choice. Either drop the bomb and hopefully end the war sooner or face a drawn out battle that would likely result in a similar death toll. Especially when it was during a time when the world is just coming back from the brink of defeat. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
 ExitingTheStage
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/30/2012 8:52:14 PM
Bomb the moon all you want.
No one will notice.

Nothing bad will come of it.

While you're at it.... catapult all nuclear waste at the moon and other hazardous substances.
 Booky3
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/18/2013 11:18:32 AM
Why am I not surprised that Nasa is spending over 2 Billion on research in Anti-matter. What's ludicrous about this whole program is no one can even prove such an element as Anti-matter exist, and yet our Gov't continues to funnel money into this HOGWASH.

A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!

AS WITH MANY OF THE MULTI BILLION DOLLAR NASA PROGRAMS, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF VALUE HAS COME FROM THE MISSION TO MARS.

NASA IS NOTHING MORE THAN A GOOD-OLE BOYS NETWORK OF SCIENTIST AND ENGINEERS WHO FLEECE THE AMERICAN TAX PAYER.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/18/2013 4:29:42 PM
AS WITH MANY OF THE MULTI BILLION DOLLAR NASA PROGRAMS, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF VALUE HAS COME FROM THE MISSION TO MARS.

NASA IS NOTHING MORE THAN A GOOD-OLE BOYS NETWORK OF SCIENTIST AND ENGINEERS WHO FLEECE THE AMERICAN TAX PAYER.

I am sure irony of you using a computer on the internet to make those accusation is not lost on many people.

Rheostatic
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/18/2013 10:28:56 PM

I am sure irony of you using a computer on the internet to make those accusation is not lost on many people.

Beat me to it.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >