Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 amethyst10616
Msg: 14
view profile
History
pre-nupsPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Nameless bureaucrats who established " the law", will not determine my lifestyle. Nor will the courts. Nor will a man get half of what he didn't earn. Not if I can help it. Nor, do I want half of what he's accumulated or earned. Fair is fair.
Any man, in my age group, who doesn't understand my position, is not the man for me. I'd rather stay alone with at least, a roof over my head and food in my fridge, rather than jeopardize my financial position, at this stage of the game. As I said earlier, it would be a foolish decision, on my part, not to have a pre-nup.

Amen, Pheobe! I feel just as you do. It is a wise person who takes care of the realities of life. I cannot imagine being so foolish as to trust my financial well-being to someone else at this point in my life. At 51, I have a number of working years ahead of me, but I could not recover if I lost half of what I have now and hope to live with dignity or worse yet, need my girls to help take care of me. A man worth marrying would not ask me to risk that.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 16
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 10:19:42 AM
I have no particular need to ask for one, but wouldn't be offended if asked to sign one. Might keep the kids from objecting (his, not mine). Near the beginning of this relationship when we were talking possibilities of the shape of our future, he asked if I felt a need to be married. I said not necessarily, but all else being equal that was certainly my preference. (Old family tradition, lol!) And offered a pre-nup if he so wished. His response was, Nah. In for a dime, in for a dollar. So that was settled without too much of a problem.

Perhaps if you *don't* feel this way, you should just skip coupling with that person?

woobytoodsday
Msg: 17
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 10:47:19 AM
deac ~~ absolutely! In our case, he's selling the house he lives in, and dividing the proceeds with the Ex; we'll be living here. As I said, got no problems with him disposing of his assets any way he chooses. He wishes to travel a good deal more than I do, or am able to. That'll have to be his dime. Which doesn't seem to bother him. I've told my son I want him to have a life estate here if he wants it. He's said that he couldn't see living here without me, so. . . .

Each couple has to work it out based on their own strengths and deficits; their own relationship and trust. Most important, I think, is talking about it early and openly.

zippytwo
Msg: 18
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 12:53:02 PM
Yes, I think it's wise to have some sort of agreement should the relationship not work out. I went into a relationship with nothing written about the financial aspect. He promised me he would support me as he didn't want me to work. I learned pretty quickly that he who has the money, has the power. When the relationship didn't work out, I was left with nothing. All my savings were gone as I had to support myself for two years while trying to get a job.

To put it bluntly, he lost nothing, I lost everything. If there is a next time, I'll be much wiser and not put myself in such a predicament. I see nothing wrong with a person protecting themselves financially especially in this economy where good jobs are so hard to come by. I am a survivor though. And I'm back!

I'm not looking for a handout or to take someone's money, far from it. I'm just looking to protect what I have worked so hard for.

rearguard*2
Msg: 19
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:19:17 PM
Far as I know, Quebec is about the only jurisdiction that still lets people decide on their arrangements, as long as you do NOT get married. Even here, however, some poor woman who finds that living in the multi-million dollar house she was given on $39,000/month is impossible, and is going after her ex to have a pre-nup settlement thrown out so she will be able to continue to live comfortably with her 2 kids, chauffeur, nanny and maids, etc.

The result of that case may be an end to freedom here as well.

Really, I feel sorry for her plight. She was originally a beach bimbo with little education down in Brazil before she landed her ex. Clearly she has not been treated fairly here, and the courts are all ears......
 rearguard*2
Msg: 22
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:52:07 PM
Oh, let's just face up to the fact that anything other than an empty, meaningless physical encounter between 2 ships passing in the night is just too financially risky at our age, and party, party, party!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:57:09 PM
I believe I wouldn't want a pre-nup ... IF I were to marry ... which I also cannot envision myself doing! since I'm apparently not very good at marriage ... I suspect I should just avoid it ... (which is sad, actually) ...

during my two marriages and one relatively long term relationship ... at the end of these three involvements ... I was just so GLAD to be FREE that I left with relatively little but the children and the children's belongings ... I gave my exes whatever they wanted just to get out ... my 1st husband and I argued over the children (we both wanted them) ... my 2nd didn't bother so I won by default ...

a pre-nup wouldn't have helped ... on the contrary, I believe it would have hindered my escapes ...

AND ... I have been/am on good terms with my ex-husbands, partly due to my just LEAVING without quibbling over who got which ...
 rearguard*2
Msg: 25
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 2:40:37 PM
Well, takes 3 to 5 years to get back into a good relationship following a divorce. Court fights over divorce settlements take 3 to 5 years as well, at least up here. So, if you spend a extra 5 years quibbling about money, it should at least compensate for the loneliness and isolation involved.

To my mind, you can always get more stuff and money, but you can't get a single day more of life...
 amethyst10616
Msg: 29
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:49:59 PM
Morningsong, I wish that were true in all cases, that everything will just take care of itself, but that is just not so. I was an accountant for twenty years before becoming a teacher and let me tell you, I could tell you some stories. I am just realistic and because I do not want to be dependent on my kids when I retire, I am going to protect everything I have earned to date. Each of us are certainly entitled to our opinion and one is as valid as the next. I am just too practical to go into a relationship blindly now. It is too huge for me to feel secure in my future to do that.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 30
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 4:55:57 PM

...since you're a fellow Ontarian, you must realize that if people merely "co-habit" together, without a "co-habitation agreement", the other person is entitled to 50 % of the other person's assets. I'm not sure how long the period of co-habitation must be, for this to apply? Anyone out there know the answer to this question?

it's two years.
 sk1960
Msg: 31
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 5:57:35 PM
its really tough to think about a whether or not to have a pre-nup. One can assume you are going into the relationship because you trust and love that person. But where does the trust line end? Would you trust them with your life - but not your money? But if you think about the rate of divorce - then why wouldn't you think about protecting your future - especially for those of us who are older and don't have the lifetime to recover financially - again....

I lost so much after the demise of my first marriage (ended in 91) - It took me almost 10 years to get back to a secure footing - and yes I think I do worry about being in that situation again. I recently began seeing a real nice guy - who really doesn't have much to his name - he works hard, and gives a fair bit to help support his ex and his 12 year old son ... So how can I fault him for that? But in the same breath - I own a home (almost) - I drive a very nice car - I have a job that has ensured that I can retire comfortably at age 58..... Where will that leave us when I can retire - but he can't? He is a great guy who makes me laugh, who has an incredible heart, ..... I guess time will only tell - but for me - if it gets to the point where we move forward - I think I might be asking for a prenup .... for my own piece of mind....
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 34
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:49:49 PM
Don't quite know how to phrase this to avoid being hurtful, but I do kinda need to know. Do none of us *actually* have a klew as to the character of the peeps we marry/move in with? Or we know, and just don't giva damn?

There *were* no pre-nups in 1963, when I got married ~~ but I *did* observe that the man I was marrying cared more about money than any other single thing in his life -- maybe even the next ten things in his life. What he wanted at the divorce was absolutely no surprise ~~ I could have told you that six months before we married. My error, and it was a biggie, was to believe you could love someone into relaxing, blooming. You can't.

So, as I see it, it isn't a case of I love you so much now I'd never cheat you, as it is: am I honest in the world, am I fair, do I cheat anyone in any way? If the answer to that is, no, then worrying about a pre-nup is pointless. If the answer is that you don't know, get a pre-nup. Or don't get married.

amethyst10616
Msg: 35
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:58:22 PM
Wooby, can you ever know for sure? Isn't marriage a partnership of blind faith even when you think you really, really know that person?

Like you, I thought I could love someone enough when I was younger to change him into what I wanted him to be. To be honest, if it had not been for one major flaw, he was everything I could have wanted in a man and I loved him very dearly. At 19, I found the courage to break off our engagement just two weeks before the wedding because I did not think I could live with him and matter more than anything else. As it happens, we know each other still and his need for financial success has mattered most. Sad, really sad that people do not matter more than money to some.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 39
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 8:43:37 PM
Well after having supported my ex with the children for 18 years and getting the proverbial "ripoff" when we divorced? Damn tootin if ever I was to live with someone again there would be a pre-nup in place. Most of what I have is promised to my two children. They have been with me for the rough ride of financial recovery after DaddyO took what the law allowed his lazy arse! lol...tis only fair. I have worked hard for what little I have...
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 40
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/9/2009 10:55:10 PM
Absolutely. Things change and the one that loved you so much suddenly no longer does and then theirs the attorney putting BS in her head and a judge or just a commissioner that decides what to do with your assets.

You'd have to bea an idiot not to have a pre-nup, especially if you have already been screwed once.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 41
pre-nups
Posted: 10/10/2009 12:37:47 AM
It's alright, I'll sign it if you sign it!
Some people feel vulnerable after having been chewed up to oblivion by ex's, if that will give them peace of mind, it's all worth the trouble...

StevieCashmere
Msg: 42
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/10/2009 4:07:08 AM
Self-Defeating-
A verbal agreement of 50/50 should suffice, though it's importnat that both parties should have some sense of protection from the law

Marriage is for life, having a document means it will expire and there is already doubt

Though, It's also importnat though why this came into being as women (as they tend to be) whose husbands decided to terminate were on the worng side of the law and left penniless, once the children grew up - this came into the public consciouness is the 60s, 70s, 80s,

Altenatively...Don't Get Married
~sc~
 rearguard*2
Msg: 43
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/10/2009 6:02:12 AM

The actual up-to-date text of the Family Law Act in Ontario is available at the web site below.te text of the Family Law Act in Ontario is available at the web site below.

Okay, I read through this document and was absolutely terrified when I finished it. Why anybody would get married, or even co-habitate under these conditions is completely beyond me. I presume that so many people do so because they do not know or understand the legal situation they are getting themselves into.

Nothing romantic about that document in any way......
 Moonchild51
Msg: 45
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/10/2009 8:06:21 AM
Heck, Miss Phoebe! Death need not occur for responsibility to children here in Ontario. As an example? Should I partner up with a man who has dependant children? Then we split up? Legally I can be made to pay child support over and above the support that child already receives! I have seen it done! That simply blows my mind quite honestly!The justice system here in Ontario sucks and that is putting it mildly!
 singleagain66
Msg: 47
pre-nups
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:03:23 PM
Frankly if I do get married again and she has alot of things and says to me to sign a pre-nup I would have no problem what so ever. Because for me it will not be about the money she has but the feelings I have for her and hopefully the feelings she has for me.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 51
pre-nups
Posted: 10/10/2009 8:39:20 PM

On topic?

I'm am a believer in happily right now, with a bright outlook toward the future, but not necessarily happily-ever-after. Kinda grew outta that.

THerefore, I am Pro Pre-Nup.

....You sound too darn happy....something you wanna share levi?

Yep, me too Pro Pre-Nup. When my first marriage ended, we more or less split everything half and half. I got the children...he got everything else. But hey, I got the better half....nothing much more to add.

...maeflowers
 amethyst10616
Msg: 54
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:31:36 AM
Most of them time, there is some inequity in income between the marriage partners. To me, it does not say to anyone that you are going in expecting failure. It says that I am marrying you for YOU, not what you bring to the table financially and I am committed to the person for love only.

It is just not smart to go into marriage without thinking of the long-term financial implications. I would never, never do it. I would not want him to feel that I wanted what he had before marriage and vice versa. I am willing to be a partner in all aspects, including financially.
 SueCat51
Msg: 55
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/11/2009 4:22:26 PM
If I were to remarry, I would insist upon a pre-nup. That is a BIG "if", because I don't feel the need for marriage.
 Much More
Msg: 56
view profile
History
pre-nups
Posted: 10/11/2009 4:29:48 PM
I think a pre-nup makes sense. However, it is a cheap shot to present it right before the wedding. It is a serious thing. Both parties need to be protected.

The pursuit of $ does strange things to people. Divorce is not known for bringing out the best in folks. What are the stats on how many marriages end in divorce?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >