Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Liberal vs conserative      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PinkOleander
Msg: 76
Liberal vs conserativePage 4 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Again, English changes far more rapidly than other languages. Common usage becomes acceptable because there is no final word. No Academy of the English language. So it can be spelled both ways. Reading comprehension and vocabulary are often used as measures of intelligence. Grammar, syntax and spelling are not. Education does not mean a person is intelligent. There are remedial math and English classes given at UC schools. Many people graduate who are not intelligent. They are pushed through the system.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 77
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 6:36:50 PM
Guess being conservative puts me in the loser category. Shame because I actually like it when people are willing to discuss differences. Sometimes I've changed my mind, sometimes the other person has and sometimes we just agree to disagree.

And to think I was going to ask Halftimedad to immigrate to the states and marry me. *sigh*
 OnlyThis
Msg: 78
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 6:45:23 PM

For example, most movies that have the largest audience are movies with the least intellectual or artistic quality.

Says who? You?

Personally, I'll take the people who voted with their dollars over some internet snob any day of the week... sheeeesh...
 PinkOleander
Msg: 79
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 6:48:44 PM
That final comment was because you were unfamiliar with the UC system. Yes, it can and is spelled either way. In books, newspapers and magazines. In time I'm sure the original spelling of "a lot" will be lost because it requires an extra space. In the meantime both are used. I am not a supporter of invented spelling. I am pointing out that English has changed and will continue to do so according to common usage. And "alot" is commonly used. I would like to continue this discussion but it appears to be going in circles.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 6:50:36 PM

And to think I was going to ask Halftimedad to immigrate to the states and marry me. *sigh*

Well, you could always move to Canada and then you would get the opportunity to learn a whole new way of spelling some words like neighbour, favour, humour and so on and you'd also get to say "eh" after every sentence and you would also be celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend instead of in November AND most Canadians are not overly political so whether you are liberal or conservative is pretty much a non-issue in our country.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 81
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 6:52:28 PM
I was commenting on one woman who was telling other women to shut up. And backing it up by saying that they weren't smart enough to engage with men as intellectual equals.

So I made fun of her. Sue me.
 OnlyThis
Msg: 82
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 7:13:54 PM
Surely The Terminator movies and the like are of much higher intellectual and artistic value

Not once but twice now you have indicated that you hold some special insight into what constitutes intellectual and artistic value. Trust me, you don't.

The highest grossing movies of all time are 1) Titanic and 2) The Lord of the Rings. Both of these movies were not only recognized by the public (voting with dollars) but also won pretty much every award worth winning thus being recognized as masterpieces of film.

Therefore the public seems to do very well in recognizing that which has artistic value and your opinion is just that.... so much for your argument...
 PinkOleander
Msg: 83
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 7:53:41 PM

I will not concede the point

I wasn't aware of a point being conceded. I thought it was a friendly discussion between two people with a background in linguistics (I'm working on my PhD thesis.) I try not to use words like "ludicrous" as they tend to inflame. I admit I didn't used to always be so laid back but I've found over the years that friendships are more important than feeling right in my own mind. The other person rarely feels I'm right anyway regardless when I have the last word and only ends up with bad feelings all around. I've learned to be a bit softer. This is just me, mind you.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 84
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:03:53 PM
Okay, since I seemed to have sparked this thing, I'll chime in.

I purposely break many rules. I split infinitives with relish. Back when they were codifying rules of English, someone noticed that Latin infinitives are never split, so English ones shouldn't be either. They ignored that Latin infinitives are single words - so I boldly go and freely play.

I also think that 99% is nearly perfect. And I won't back down on that.

But I stand firm on other things - "a lot" is one of them. It's arbitrary and I'm just going to be stubborn. I'll go to my death bed believing it's the only correct way to phrase that.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 85
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:52:26 PM
Bit confused here: where I grew up, and everywhere I've ever been schooled, Masters' applicants write theses, Ph.D.s do dissertations. Where is it that that is reversed?

Have to admit I missed the "alot" ~~ perhaps because I was focused on the use of "advise" instead of "advice."

I'm with Ismene, in that words are what I *do* and I deeply believe that they matter ~~ without them, used correctly, it's difficult if not impossible to communicate at all. And this is an area I don't wish to settle for simulacra.

OT ~~ One *would* think by middle age, that soul priorities would rule. Evidently not, lol! What is sad is that while we can have what we wish, payback is a beech!

esorb
Msg: 86
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:59:13 PM
[and it is easy to compare that elitist attitude ... to the elistist attitude that hitler had !!]

I am amazed that anyone who considers himself tolerant of contrary political views should compare those who hold such views to Hitler. Listening to republican demagogues i can't help thinking they regard the poor and dispossessed, those americans who sleep on skid row, as a normal complement of humanity, as natural and indispensable as the air we breathe. There is a big difference between free enterprise as a philosophy and practical governance. My impression is that most americans who call themselves conservative don't know the difference and so erroneously believe they are the champions of free enterprise and personal freedom. And anybody who questions their right to pocket millions of dollars and pay no tax while fellow americans who work just as hard can barely make ends meet , is considered a Hitler.
 esorb
Msg: 87
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 9:21:16 PM
[Again, English changes far more rapidly than other languages. Common usage becomes acceptable because there is no final word. No Academy of the English language. So it can be spelled both ways. Reading comprehension and vocabulary are often used as measures of intelligence. Grammar, syntax and spelling are not. Education does not mean a person is intelligent. There are remedial math and English classes given at UC schools. Many people graduate who are not intelligent. They are pushed through the system. ]

Ms Pinko_leander, I have no doubt your father is a brilliant man in spite of his difficulties with spelling. Bad spelling is a common problem. However, i do not think you should encourage poor spelling or assume a new word is created each time a spelling mistake occurs. If there are no common rules of grammer acceptable to the english-speaking world, i wonder why we waste our time administering english examinations. Grammar, syntax and spelling contribute to reading comprehension. It is not enough to comprehend other people's writing; they should be able to understand yours following the normal rules. It seems strange that you only ascribe intelligence to those who read and comprehend well written text but don't consider those who master grammar, syntax and spelling, all attributes of good writing , necessarily intelligent. Your view seems rather subjective and may be construed more as an expression of fillial piety.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/11/2009 11:18:03 PM
"Yes, it can and is spelled either way. "

As a graduate faculty member any APA paper that included the words 'a lot' without the space between the a and the l would be graded down as a misspelled word. I have checked several dictionaries before making this grade mark. I've also checked Word speller which wants to automatically correct the spelling to add the space.

Forums are not graded assignments and the grammar/spelling police should go grade college papers if they want to debate the spelling of words as indicative of anything at all. My ground rule in discussions vs academic assignments is that if you understood how the word should have been spelt then you clearly understood the meaning in context and since that was the point of the writing then point was achieved.

BTW dictionaries are the source of common usage. That is why all terms and their definitions in academic papers must come from academic sources of validated research. Wikis and all dictionaries and encyclopedias have not been validated.

To answer woobytoodsday, in the UK they write a dissertation at the masters level, including having to have a research question, hypothesis, research method, surveys or other quantitative or qualititative research method, analysis and recommendations - all 7 chapters one normally finds in a Business doctorate in the US. I am the advisor for several such dissertations at the moment. They have access to all of our academic databases for research plus databases in several different languages. They are required to write their dissertation in English with English vs American spellings (I have to reset my Word to English) and have very little lenience for English as a Second language.
Now, can we get back on topic?
 MondoVman
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 12:35:26 AM
Yo! Ye poorly educated "a lot" panheads,

"alot" means "lots" (as in "much" or "many"). These words are usually followed by "of":
"I have lots of intelligence and money."
"I have alot of intelligence and money."
"I like her lots."
"I like her alot."
Never ever
"I have a (i.e. one) lot of money." - That's pidgin English in AZ and MI. But favored by, my guess, the Brits. pshhh!
"I like her a (i.e. one) lot." - Hopefully these are starting to look and read as retarded to all.
Proper use of "lot":
"What is his/her lot in life makes him/her so unlearned?"
"This is my lot, my dirt, my yard."

Last but not least, a completely laughable statement from the internet claiming "a lot" (not "alot") means "many":

A lot (two words) is an informal phrase meaning "many." It can take an adjective, for example, "a sizeable lot."

So, "a sizeable lot" means "many lot" or "many sizeable" or "sizeable many". Huh? I'm confused.

Go Pink lady, go!
 junipermoon
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:10:00 AM
i would never use 'alot' ~ simply because i know better. however, i find this even more disturbing:
most men are conservative and most women are liberal

here we have a sweeping statement with absolutely no citation. where does this come from? i have yet to see any polls or studies to back up this assertion.

and, yes: advise is a verb. i believe the word intended here is advice.

this sort of shift in subject distracts from the real issue at hand.

the woman described in the op would put herself through not only one, but two boring evenings with a blowhard who apparently views dating as an opportunity to spew drivel to a captive audience.
 OnlyThis
Msg: 91
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:53:26 AM
i have yet to see any polls or studies to back up this assertion.

Clearly we have polls that show that more women are Democrats than Republican. With that said, many Democrats do not identify themselves as "liberal". However, that distinction may be somewhat irrelevant as the Democratic Party is clearly putting liberals in positions of power so voting that way is indicative of the label (i.e. the party itself has become liberal).

PinkOleander
Msg: 92
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 6:03:52 AM
It seems strange that you only ascribe intelligence to those who read and comprehend well written text but don't consider those who master grammar, syntax and spelling, all attributes of good writing , necessarily intelligent

I don't hon. You took my post out of context (either reading rapidly or poor comprehension) The discussion was whether spelling reflected intelligence. It doesn't. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
Traditional measures of intelligence are based on reading comprehension and vocabulary. There have been attempts to change this to non-verbal measures but the attempts have failed. And the discussion was about language change.
Where did I write that I "encourage poor spelling or assume a new word is created each time a spelling mistake occurs?" I'm quoting you here. Your reading comprehension and retention of what you read is indeed poor. Go back over what I wrote.
Oh and you also wrote "If there are no common rules of grammer." Grammar is spelled with an "a." I only point it out because your entire post was about the importance of spelling and how I should encourage it. And now I must get back to my day job in which I correct spelling for a living...
 dysfunction_junction
Msg: 93
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 6:18:19 AM
but he is so handsome. Pretty to look at. Good job, educated, blah blah blah.... and she's going to see him again.... My question is after all of these years...why do we do stupid things, get involved with the wrong people because they are hot and just set ourselves up for failure?

your friend is deranged. she probably thinks she can "fix" him. either that, or she's just really, really shallow and without integrity. she's got the priorities of a pig..... the next good thing that's in front of her face.... is exactly what she wants.

MondoVman
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:01:29 AM
Must add this: the Mr. and Ms. "simply because i know better"s show extreme disrespect for the language by refusing to capitalize the pronoun "I"; their slothful refusals are penultimate to disrespecting civilization as we know it. Wonder if these same individuals enjoy viewing deliberately exposed Penises and femaile Breasts in public venues. Me thinks yes. The fall of Rome came from within. Sloth and Lust were foremost in its demise.
- Look! i dussunt hafta kapataleyes i.
 cotter
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:02:59 AM
As I have often posted in the past ... I do not want to pursue relationships with men who have differing core values than I ... on religious and political issues. This post will be somewhat long but it makes my point about why people should do their best to find out about people prior to dating them.

In Message 63, I quoted another poster (who was attempting to bring the thread back on topic) and remarked to it. It went something like the following …

OT: If I understand the question right, the OP wants to know whether, after all these years, looks still trump compatibility ...
I don't care how "HOT" the man is ... if we are not compatible then it's a NO GO. That's why I let them know up front ... NO religious zealots and NO repugnicans. I don't want them, don't need them ... don't want to deal with the close-mindedness or the war-mongering or fear-mongering. I just don't want to waste my time or energy on them anymore. Been there and done it ... it's a waste of time.

I'm looking for a man who wants his peace and quiet as I do and a man who will be able to reasonably discuss things with me ... is able to keep an open mind about things.

And while I was not addressing any one poster in here with that remark, it seems "OnlyThis" felt obligated to answer. (I pretty much knew what it was going to be just based on previous snide remarks that had been made in his messages 19 & 45). But this is an open forum and so we get what we get ... eh?

In Message 64, "OnlyThis" wrote …

NO religious zealots and NO repugnicans ...

I'm looking for a man who will be able to reasonably discuss things with me ... is able to keep an open mind about things.

Good luck.

Well, I wasn't sure how I should interpret that, so in Message 71, I wrote …
I don't know how to interpret that.

Are you saying (with the snide remark) that there are no more reasonable men left out there ... they are all "close-minded conservatives"?

OR

Is that just the "smugness of the conservative" that I have been describing here ... an excellent example of what I do not want in my life?

And then it happened just as I expected it would … in Message 72 "OnlyThis" displayed exactly that which I have been commenting on when I say I have no interest whatsoever in dating a "conservative" man and do my best to find out about political background before embarking on any kind of relationship.

Ladies … here's what to expect if you date a "conservative" … here's what "OnlyThis" wrote back …
Well let me break it down for ya.. you want a man with an open mind while you yourself haven't had an original thought pass your way in years.

Lady, you are a perfect example of the kind of pig headed bigoted extremists that are currently ripping this country apart.

Have a nice day..
Ya ... that sounds about right ... that sounds just like those other two repugnican ("conservative") guys that I was dating and that is the reason I will not waste my time on such men ... don't need them and just don't want to deal with them …

I note that this guy is merely separated from his wife and while he claims he is not seeking a date … he has the "First Date" section filled out in all kinds of details and ends with the following …
Whatever we do, it will not be a waste of your time as the worst that can happen is that you will meet a very nice guy.
Wow … what a "NICE GUY"!!!!

Now how many ladies in here would like to be dating that "nice guy"?

Ohhhhh … I just love "outing" these "very nice" guys. (The forums are good for that.) Ladies always check out the forum posts of any perspective men ... it tells you a lot (did I spell that right?) about them.

Believe me … there is nothing at all nice about such snide, malevolent, spiteful, smug, arrogant, condescending, supercilious, pompous, patronizing remarks.

Which is the point I was making. (In the tone of the announcer on "The Price is Right" … ) And ladies … just imagine … those wonderful words that just flew so casually out of his mouth at someone he knows nothing about … can be YOURS if all you do is say, "YES" when he asks you out and then say anything that he might not agree with you on!!!

OT
I believe I have made my point about finding out ahead of time about people.

And OP … no amount of "good looks" (or wallet for that matter) could influence me to date something as I have described above. The "ugly" on the inside is just not worth it. Your friend will hopefully find that out before she devotes too much time to this man.
 OnlyThis
Msg: 96
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:25:52 AM

while he claims he is not seeking a date

That's right.. my profile is hidden because I am in a relationship with a beautiful woman. I can't imagine why you are still spending your nights alone.

The "ugly" on the inside is just not worth it.

Lady.. inside or outside.. you've got ugly pretty much covered.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:43:47 AM

Ladies always check out the forum posts of any perspective men ... it tells you a lot (did I spell that right?) about them.

Why yes...yes you did. However, I believe you meant to write "prospective"?

OT: OP, your friend is merely dating the guy. As I would assume you would be somewhat indignant if she made judgements regarding your tastes, methods or selection process, should she not be equally indignant?

I suppose as a friend, there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinions or sharing past relevant experiences, however, your belief that you know what is better for her than she knows herself, is rather pompous and arrogant IMO.

~ds~
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:45:23 AM
Post 108 and Post 109 - Let me introduce you .......Pot...meet.... kettle. Kettle....meet....pot.

After reading two previous flaming and bashing posts from individuals of different political spectrums, I sure am glad that I am a Canadian who, like most other Canadians, is able to separate one's political (and religious too) leanings from the overall goodness of a person.
 Mr. Happy, PE
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:49:17 AM
Lady.. inside or outside.. you've got ugly pretty much covered.

Ditto!
 GO USC
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:59:57 AM
A pretty good job of pointing out the differences.
If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one..
If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.
If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.
If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.
If a liberal sees a foreign threat, he wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.
If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.
If a person of color is conservative, they see themselves as independently successful.
Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.
If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
If a liberal is down-and-out, he wonders who is going to take care of him
If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down..
If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)
If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.
If a conservative slips and falls in a store, he gets up, laughs and is embarrassed.
If a liberal slips and falls, he grabs his neck, moans like he's in labor and then sues.

Just a little humor..
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Liberal vs conserative