Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should you still see someone even if they lied to you on the 1st date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Should you still see someone even if they lied to you on the 1st date?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Because no one in real life lies and cheats and dates under false pretences.
 red_relaxed
Msg: 8
Should you still see someone even if they lied to you on the 1st date?
Posted: 10/12/2009 3:41:31 PM

She was to wear a nice blue/white Blouse and a long skirt.

Did she?

Or did she lie about that too?
 red_relaxed
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:07:56 PM

They always Lie about their age the way they look who they are and so much more, in which studies have show by the Kingsly institute that North American women have the greats insecurities in the World. Figments of their own Lovely imaginations as the Study concluded.

Couldn't find your Kingsly Institute, nor the study you have cited which says women always lie about our age, the way we look and so much more.
How's that ball cap and sunglasses disguise working for you buddy?
I for one would be interested to read this Kingsly Institute woman bashing study if you would be as so kind as to post a link. Thanks in advance.
 girlred228
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:27:50 PM
And you gotta ask.. she lied about everything.. and if you buy into this.. just open yourself up for more lies... and lies and lies...
 ladyc4
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:34:38 PM

^^^^^^^^ I just went through your profile talk about being full of yourself.

The Study is very real on the Insecurities of North American Women, so deal with it.
Shows how much you really know, but just being a Old Mother Hen and assuming like many women typically do, sounds about right to me.

If they are insecure, it's because they've had one too many encounters with guys like this.

I have nothing to hide my ass is much smaller and firmer then 3/4 of all women on POF,
Dude, you must have one helluva small head then,can't think how else you'd have got it where it is.
Cindy O
 girlred228
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:39:05 PM
Generalities will get you nowhere.. all women don't lie about their age... I am 40 and get asked all the time.. about it.. because I am not sure how old I look... but people ask me all the time are the pics recent.. UHHH>> yeah.. they are...
 Dare to
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/12/2009 5:11:20 PM
Lied about her age..
Lied about her marital status...
Lied about her height....
Didn't look like her pics....

I wouldn't have even finished the date if i met a guy who did that.. PASS.......
 packagedealx3
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 6:08:13 PM
Then what is the point of this thread if you know the answer?
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 7:43:34 PM
Short answer: No!
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:02:35 PM

I lied on mine..I admit it..I'm actually 5'8" .

I wrote 5'7"...

so what...

If it's no big deal, then what not just say you are 5'8"? The message you are sending is it's not important to tell the truth.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:51:03 PM
Thinly disguised as a "nice-guy" thread.

I met one guy off of here, and he was really fat. His pictures were, like, really old.

Oh well. I guess the grocery store is the best place to meet men...
 Stafford_Jim
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 9:09:07 PM
Little white lies out of nervousness? Ok.

Major lies about her age, marital status, parent status, etc? NO!
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 10:16:31 PM
OP, think about the other men she could hoodwink in the future, and do the right thing. If you simply stop seeing her, she'll just keep living that honest life of hers. You should channel your inner player and mess with her. Make promises you don't keep, double book dates (that's why she was late and the sitter was calling - she'd been gone all afternoon with other guys), and misrepresent everything about yourself. Tell her you're in love with her by the third date. You can end it by standing her up on a school night - that oughta put a bee in her bonnet, and make her think twice about pulling someone's chain in the future.

Snarfblatt had it right - if you're gonna lie (and according to this thread, everyone does), at least make it convincing, and employ sufficient common sense so that your deception isn't easily discovered, unless that's your desire. Plenty of my liberal friends defended Bill Clinton's indiscretions, claiming that "lots" of politicians have had dalliances, so he shouldn't have been the object of so much criticism. That wasn't the point, I would correct them. He's just a bad liar, and not good at even setting himself up well. Think about just one of his trysts - Monica had to be signed in at the White House to come see him. That's poor judgment for anyone, and especially for the supposed leader of the free world, who might have found himself in a high stakes (read: nuclear) poker game and not have been able to bluff effectively.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 1:05:05 AM
The fact that it was your first date and everything up to this point was based on a lie should preclude any further involvement. Relationships based on lies have no future.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 9:38:51 AM
Compulsive liers have issues that can be serious and usually dont have the sense that they have a problem such as seeking professional help for such a problem. People that have a habbit of not telling the truth or tell numberous lies are on a similar path because they seem to think thier behavior is normal that everyone does it which is only justification to carry on the same behavior of concealing. I have a brother that resorts to lying when he confronted with issues or certian questions. What he doesnt realize is most people eventually realize that he lies and dont take his word as being seriously or doubt him in the future. Thats what happens to people who lie others stop taking them seriously and they become avoided.

A childhood story which most of you remember is the boy that cried wolf. People were concerned when he cried wolf, he did it to caring people and he repeated three times. After doing it one to many times others stopped taking him for his word and honesty but when he needed assistance and on the final call, when it mattered, no one would respond to the call of Wolf and the wolf killed the boy. "Fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me."
 Vannili
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:22:37 AM
Yes I will see a person on a second date, as long as I am not a victim of their lies, whether he lied about his age etc..80 % of people that I met lied not just dates^ lied all the times, even on just exchanging pleasantries or experiences ,they lied...

What is important to me is they LIED FIRST then afterwards they tell the truth..
Not the tell the TRUTH FIRST ,then afterwards they lied... That is scary lol.....

P.S. I have a book on how to detect a person who is telling a lie...
 chameleonf
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:31:10 AM
I suppose you should still see someone even if they lied to you on the 1st date as per the OP's story...if you're also the type of person who goes out of your way to jump out of a plane with no parachute.
 Vannili
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:51:39 AM
sswweet: Thank you for your input, people don't believe me on my calendar years, I will bring my birth certificate with me on dates so I won't put them through the agony..
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 25
Falcony.. should you see her when she lied on the 1st date/
Posted: 2/16/2010 1:16:09 PM
~OP~ An 11 year age lie? HA!! I caught someone lying by a year and it was a first/last date combo. I won't tolerate such silliness. The fact she was married? Oh hell no. I'm surprised you actually felt the need to ask about this women. JMO
 arwen52
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 1:53:50 PM
Run for the hills!
 Paderic
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:00:49 AM
Someone who is willing to lie just to get their foot in the door is going to continue lying just to keep the door open. The lies will never stop.

I can only speak for myself, but this is not the kind of person I want to be with.
 Daves place 1
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/9/2010 10:48:13 AM
First thing first, ten min late, why would you degrade your self and buy into the girl came, grow a set.

Second, you make mention of a tan line on her finger, in cold weather, lack of sun shine, come on, I smell something fishy here.
 Berdarien1
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/23/2010 6:34:27 PM
A lie is a lie.. I wouldn't be with someone if they lied to me the first date or the 50th. Lack of moral quality in people today that this happens.. Just have to stick to who you are and hope you can find someone who can deal with that.. G'luck man..

Bear
 RobertKoi
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/23/2010 7:03:17 PM
"Should you still see someone even if they lied to you on the 1st date?"
-------------
Would I still see someone who lied to me on the first date? Well, it depends on what she lied about. But yeah, a lie is a lie and it only raises the logical question what else she's lied about or MIGHT lie about in the future.

Anyway, last year in November I met someone and in retrospect I guess she lied even on the first date - well basically she did... However, a week later when I went to see her it turned out that she'd lied about having three kids instead of five, and the reason she said, was that if she'd told me the truth from the start I wouldn't have wanted to see her at all. That pissed me off and it triggered an argument in a chain of many more to follow, especially on the phone when I got back home. Having said that I guess I still have to answer NO! That's a BIG red flag - even more so when somebody's lying about her own kids for crying out loud.

During the argument I said that if I hadn't asked she probably never would've told me which she denied of course - as well as everything else. I found out by overhearing a conversation she had with a friend. Two names were mentioned and later that evening when I asked about those names, she told me. She turned out to be probably the worst liar that I've ever met in my life. Unfortunately it dragged out for months because in some insane way I had feelings for her.

My advice to anyone out there is to walk away immediately. Don't hope for changes. If somebody's showing you his/her cards early THAT'S who they are and they'll never change - not for you, not for anybody.
 JeepHammer
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2010 8:04:40 AM
RUN LIKE HELL!

First off, it was outright lying, not a mis-communication about things.
VERY BAD START!

*IF* it were me, and I've been in the same situation,
I'd tell her straight out that she didn't need to lie about ANYTHING. PERIOD!
No 'If, And, Or, or 'Buts' is why you don't care to see her again.

*IF*...
Someone thinks they have to lie about age, kids, babysitter, ect.
Then they KNEW it would be a 'Deal Breaker', why would they proceed?

For me,
Things like not being able to stay off the cell phone is a deal breaker...
It's just plain RUDE to be on the phone talking or texting while I'm expending my time and energy to meet someone,
And I've gotten up, paid the check, and walked out on more than one 'Date' because of the same 'Issues'.

I can understand if the babysitter calls with information,
But to take calls or texts during 'My' time, and especially when we first meet, is a deal breaker.
If my cell is 'Off', and it ALWAYS is when I'm meeting or at dinner, ect.
Then I expect the other party to do the courtesy of doing the same.
If they are too busy to catch lunch, dinner, ect. without a cell phone glued to their face,
Then they are too busy to have a relationship with me.

Lying is a flat out deal breaker.
I don't care about age, weight (within limits), kids (within limits) ect.
If they are so big there are places they can't reach with a wash cloth, then I have a problem!

One woman had 10 kids, including one with downs syndrome that lived with her and always will...
She said NOTHING about kids of any kind on the 4 or 5 phone conversations I had with her...

I had dinner/movie with a 'Project Manager'...
She had grown kids, and that wasn't an issue.
She was about 'Average' for this area, which means overweight... not an issue.
She answered her phone 19 times during dinner and talked to people every time,
She answered her phone 7 times at the movie and we got thrown out!
I didn't get 15 minutes conversation in 4.5 hours of 'Date',

And she called me names and gave me crap when I said I didn't want a second 'Date' because obviously she was too busy for a relationship...
Then I find out the 'Project' she was 'Managing' was a weekend 'Swap Meet'!
('Swap Meet' isn't exactly national defense or human organ transplant logistics!)

Just be AS HONEST about things as you can be,
Weight, Height, Job, Likes/Dislikes, what is or isn't a deal breaker, what you are looking for in a woman/relationship, ect.
And if the 'Applicants' can't do the same...
Well, if you wouldn't hire them to work for you because they lied on an application, then don't continue with the 'Relationship' for the same reasons!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should you still see someone even if they lied to you on the 1st date?