Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jenn8131
Msg: 293
The unoffical rules of dating a single mother.Page 6 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
You know you keep posting stats... I could post stats about a group that you belong to but I find them seriously flawed. Like do you know the percentage of African American men in prisons compared to the general population... but those stats really show the whole situation. Based on those stats we could assume that blk men are more violent. Those stats say nothing about the racisim that blk men face that have historically and traditionaly limited their resources, and opportunities. But yeah stats paint the whole picture don't they. Stats must be right rather than questioning the flawed structural system that maybe produces the stats.

And what are the stats about young blk men impregnating women?? ummm i remember them being high when I was doing my American studies. But yes lets continue to generalize people that are marginalized and deemed less superior than other groups of people.

Please I make being a single mom look good.
 nicol3y
Msg: 294
The unoffical rules of dating a single mother.
Posted: 6/20/2011 11:01:12 PM

You know you keep posting stats... I could post stats about a group that you belong to but I find them seriously flawed.

It is partly my fault this user posts stats. If you look a post where I commented on his bias and uncredible claims, you will notice I brought this problem to his attention. Instead of attempting to understand what a credible source is, which is what I intended, he now simply finds sources which will support his bias point. However, my point was simply to help this user understand that his sources lack credibility.
 jenn8131
Msg: 295
Posted: 6/20/2011 11:06:45 PM

my point was simply to help this user understand that his sources lack credibility.

Yeah which you would think would work for most people but apparently not all. All stats are flawed because they do not look at the individual they just reduce people to numbers rather than looking at what that person has done with their life, what they have gone through, what they have had to endure, what opportunities they had. Stats are biased and limited. People cannot just be reduced to percentages it is not that easy.
 mrcs84
Msg: 296
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2011 2:06:35 AM

I could post stats about a group that you belong to

Indeed you could. However,
1. You would be preaching to the choir
2. Being born into a marginalized group of people is entirely different from making decisions that put you into a marginalized group of people. I had zero control over being black. However every mother out there had 100% control over whether or not she A) Gets pregnant and/or B) lets that pregnancy go to term.
3. You're obviously alluding to the idea that blacks and women are disadvantaged. However, when I look at the programs that each have access to, and the government lobbying, and the ones that actually turn over results, I would say that women are actually largely privileged, while blacks are still largely disadvantaged.
2. That would have nothing to do with "The unofficial rules of dating a single mother"

If you look a post where I commented on his bias and uncredible claims, you will notice I brought this problem to his attention. Instead of attempting to understand what a credible source is, which is what I intended, he now simply finds sources which will support his bias point. However, my point was simply to help this user understand that his sources lack credibility.

I've posted stats long before you decided to start posting here. I am fully aware of what sources are credible and what sources are not. I've posted from sources such as...

- U.S. Census Bureau
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services
- American Journal of Orthopsychiatry
- Center for Disease Control
- National Principals Association
- U.S. Dept. of Justice
- Planned Parenthood

It's not like I just found a single mom-bashing site and listed "studies" that people specifically from that site decided to conjure up. Moreover, it's interesting how, again, instead of actually trying to debunk claims, I get all the ad-hominem, and deflection.

Yeah which you would think would work for most people but apparently not all. All stats are flawed because they do not look at the individual they just reduce people to numbers rather than looking at what that person has done with their life, what they have gone through, what they have had to endure, what opportunities they had. Stats are biased and limited. People cannot just be reduced to percentages it is not that easy.

So, nicol3y is talking about providing credible sources (which I generally provide), and jenn8131 just trying to say that all sources lack credibility. Of course, statistics are the easiest and most concise way to express evidence. From what I gather, you're pretty much suggesting that we go an ask each and every person in these studies to tell their story. As if the -why- does anything to actually change the -what-. Whether a criminal had a tough upbringing, did it on a dare, did it for thrills, or the myriad of other reasons, that person is still a criminal.
 My I
Msg: 297
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:55:43 AM

You know what my last 3 months were, 40 hours work, 20 hour practicum for school, 10 hour lecture and I still managed to maintain a B+/A average while providing for my daughter. I have worked 50 hour weeks since my daughter was born.

Shouldn't you place an asterick beside these numbers?
*While living undwer my parents roof.

I'm jus sayin' some single momns want to come across as super moms while their mother (child's grandmother) continues to support her daughter and now, her granddaughter.

It's no that it's a big issue Jenn. Nor is it something to get defensive over because we all rely on our parents at certain times in life. However, you shouldn't take full credit for something you're not doing all by yourself.

In the other thread, I just read another post from you, talking down about single fathers and why they are not dateable......... how is that different when comparing dating single moms?

I have worked very long hours so get over this bs that only men know how to work long hours.

^^^And so has your family... maybe you should reconsider who is doing the BS'ing here.
I think some single parents are not worthy of dating because, as we can see, some people have this inceassant need to revert all attention and sympathy back to themselves.

I struggle but I do not need to tell the world I struggle more than anyone else does..... when one matures, they will understand that. But, in the meantime, keep diminishing others as if they don't know what struggling is till they walk in your shoes.
 jenn8131
Msg: 298
Posted: 6/21/2011 1:38:56 PM
Living with my parents is a choice. Many cultures live multi-generational because family is very important. I do not live for free at my parents. Yes my parents are a great support and I feel that it is a benefit for my daughter having 3 loving supporting parents in her life then 1. I have talked about how my dad has lost his great paying job with benefits and been reduced to working at walmart. I make more money than my dad who is sometimes resentful to that. My mom is a university prof its why i got to do my BA for basically free.

I have never said single dads are not dateable in honesty I mostly perfer single dads I said sometimes that they may have a chip on their shoulder.

I don't want sympathy I love my life. I love being a student I get tired of the bs from men saying how women don't know how to work when I have always had a great work ethic. I like making good money I'm planning a yoga retreat....

I'm not diminishing others. I don't even have it bad I have it good I am according to the statistics one of the lucky ones because my daughter and I are not living in poverty. And ps life is a struggle. You want to continue to twisting my words go right ahead.
 Tealwood
Msg: 299
Posted: 6/21/2011 6:24:48 PM

I have never said single dads are not dateable in honesty I mostly perfer single dads I said sometimes that they may have a chip on their shoulder.

LOL...A chip on their shoulder...or just frustration as to the inequities that exists within the system>>>> but I do not remember ever a guy posting anything like the

He is not a father, he is a sperm donor.
A father would be involved in your sons life to love and nurture him.

A offering from a woman.....

Why not try sitting in one of those mens groups and hear some of the horror stories about what they have gone through.......

We are not saying woman do not know how to work...we are saying...LOOK at the numbers as published by the US Government agency...and duplicated in the UK....and the Australian Bureau of Statistics.....

It is partly my fault this user posts stats. If you look a post where I commented on his bias and uncredible claims,

Despite what someone suggests as non credible sources........I would challenge her to find a more credible source.....

So where is the line between diminishing someone...and simply illustrating the statistical evidence of custodial parents....of defining or illustrating who is more likely to be employed and who is more likely to be living off the avails of others....through welfare or government benefit programs....

I have talked about how my dad has lost his great paying job with benefits and been reduced to working at walmart. I make more money than my dad who is sometimes resentful to that

That is the new reality in today's society....jobs and opportunities are changing...and after spending many trips in the US......we have it.... at this point far better as they have I believe suffered a greater financial impact than we have....but....give it time...we should not be smug.....our house of cards could just as easily come tumbling down.....I have tried to keep open other opportunities...as a back up plan....just in case....as I do not have the benefit of a bank balance ....the dental work alone cost me $15,000 the last 4yrs....for the two children....out of pocket...

But where does it say that society owes us a living...that society owes us a job better than Walmart?

3. You're obviously alluding to the idea that blacks and women are disadvantaged. However, when I look at the programs that each have access to, and the government lobbying, and the ones that actually turn over results, I would say that women are actually largely privileged, while blacks are still largely disadvantaged.

Hey mrcs.....when you step into a university....is there a office in the university offering support for blacks....like they have for woman????

Is there a black culture centre in all universities...like there seems to be womans centers in the universities...????

I do not remember ever seeing a black in engineering program to try to entice more blacks into the field of engineering...

But they are regularly held for woman?

But perhaps I never noticed it? Care to comment??
 nicol3y
Msg: 300
Posted: 6/21/2011 10:02:02 PM

Despite what someone suggests as non credible sources........I would challenge her to find a more credible source.....

This statement reeks of ignorance.
Credible sources include, but are not limited to, the following: scholarly journal articles and publically funded news sources (NPR and the BBC).

when you step into a university....is there a office in the university offering support for blacks....like they have for woman????

Perhaps you would know the answer to this question if you had ever attended a university.
 nicol3y
Msg: 301
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:25:46 AM

Living with my parents is a choice. Many cultures live multi-generational because family is very important.

The following cultures favor a multi-generational household (whether single or married): Korean, African (Gambian, Uganda, etc.), Indian, Native American, South/Central American (Guatamalan, Mexican, etc.), and many more.
 mrcs84
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2011 4:34:42 AM

Hey mrcs.....when you step into a university....is there a office in the university offering support for blacks....like they have for woman????

Kinda. They have been essentially for -nonwhites-.

Is there a black culture centre in all universities...like there seems to be womans centers in the universities...????

[see above]

I do not remember ever seeing a black in engineering program to try to entice more blacks into the field of engineering... But they are regularly held for woman?

That pretty much applies to all of the hard sciences as well.

This statement reeks of ignorance.
Credible sources include, but are not limited to, the following: scholarly journal articles and publicly funded news sources (NPR and the BBC).

The BBC? Lolz, that's probably one the most feminized sources you could find.

Here is a classic example of giving credit where it's not due.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2017213.stm

So you have a lady that passed a 9-week course to become a "The First Female Green Beret" of the Royal Marines (after 2 failed attempts).

However...when you look at the actual Royal Marines website, you see that the ACTUAL course is 32 weeks.
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/royalmarines/training-fitness/royal-marines-training-course/index.htm

And please, why don't you provide some information from your credible sources so we can compare notes?
 nicol3y
Msg: 303
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:01:54 PM
[qoute] The BBC? Lolz, that's probably one the most feminized sources you could find.
I see how you attempt to degrade the BBC as a credible source by using a single, outdated article, to use as the base for your bias and stereotypical arguement. You demonstrate a selective regard for information by ignoring scholarly journal articles as credible, and distinctly focusing on the BBC, which you then attempt to discredit. That's sad.
 nicol3y
Msg: 304
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:09:29 PM

50% of single mothers do not work or do not work full time....

Where are you receiving your statistics and information? From stereotypes and personal experience, perhaps.

....they are asking for credit for doing what they should be doing...for doing or following up on their responsibilities,,,,,working to provide for themselves and their children..

Where are the fathers of these children? Why do you fail to acknowledge that single mothers are the sole provider for their children unless they receive child support? Additionally, if the biological father does not have an income, the biological mother receives NO child support, yet still has to financially provide for the child. In what realm should it be the responsibility of the mother to provide if the father cannot or will not? Because it is "her responsibility"? They BOTH made that child. Therefore, it SHOULD be the responsibility of both.
 jenn8131
Msg: 305
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:18:18 PM

That's not right. The Canadian statistics put about 60% of single moms as working. From the research I've been doing the percentages are closer to 60% and most of the welfare is welfare-workfare so most of these moms that are on welfare are actually working.
 mrcs84
Msg: 306
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2011 1:24:27 PM
I shall ask again nicol3y....

Why don't you provide some information from your credible sources so we can compare notes?
 My I
Msg: 307
Posted: 6/22/2011 4:59:39 PM

That's not right. The Canadian statistics put about 60% of single moms as working. From the research I've been doing the percentages are closer to 60% and most of the welfare is welfare-workfare so most of these moms that are on welfare are actually working.

^^That's very misleading as per stats canada.
Stats canada shows that 32% of single moms work full time for a full year. The other moms work part time and/or seasonal work.

The sites catering to single moms have the numbers extremely high (go figure) but stats canada based their numbers on employer's statistics and income tax returns.
 Tealwood
Msg: 308
Posted: 6/22/2011 5:23:24 PM

49.8% work full time, year round...I said do not work or do not work full time...I did not say 50% do not work....

2007 US Census number see below

I agree with your numbers Jenn in respect to 60%....but that is working...full time and part time...all make up the working numbers......so you inflate your "working numbers" to support your hypothesis....just like I lumped those who do not work and who work part time together.....so I lump part time work and not working as the same....

Technical paper often quoted 10++ years old....leading nicole3y to suggest they are not credible.....

so old report

66.2% of single custodial mothers work less than full time.
10.2% of single custodial fathers work less than full time.
7.0% of single custodial mothers work more than 44 hours weekly.
24.5% of single custodial fathers work more that 44 hours weekly.
46.2% of single custodial mothers receive public assistance.
20.8% of single custodial fathers receive public assistance.

11,268,000 total custodial mothers
2,907,000 total custodial fathers

http://singleparents.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=singleparents&cdn=
parenting&tm=664&gps=740_310_1916_801&f=00&
su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.1.336.ip_&tt=11&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.census.gov/
prod/2009pubs/p60-237.pdf

Custodial Mothers and Fathers and Their Child support: 2007
Issued November 2009

According to Custodial Mothers and Fathers and Their Child Support: 2007, released by the U.S. Census Bureau in November, 2009, there are approximately 13.7 million single parents in the United States today, and those parents are responsible for raising 21.8 million children (approximately 26% of children under 21 in the U.S. today).

79.5% of custodial single mothers are gainfully employed
49.8% work full time, year round
29.7% work part-time or part-year

90% of custodial single fathers are gainfully employed
71.7% work full time, year round
18.4% work part-time or part-year

27% of custodial single mothers and their children live in poverty
12.9% of custodial single fathers and their children live in poverty

when you step into a university....is there a office in the university offering support for blacks....like they have for woman????

Perhaps you would know the answer to this question if you had ever attended a university.

Little weak there...as I have attended university...but then that was almost 30yrs ago.....and I remember the orientation of the womans center was to promote greater or enhanced involvement and support for woman in higher education...something they have achieved as more woman finish high school and more woman enter and graduate university than men.....yet we still have the special support for woman.....and it seems they still have issues in respect to working full time to provide for themselves and their children?

Kinda. They have been essentially for -nonwhites-.

LOL....leading question there....I went to school in Manitoba....they had a center for Natives to assist in their education....along with the womans center but it was poorly funded compared to the womans centre.

I would agree with you...and would then ask if you have any idea as to the amount of public dollars that are funneled into womans centre's in the US compared to financial resources available for black or non white centre's.....but one must ask..... why....are the woman still receiving the funds they do...when they now are the majority of students entering post secondary education? That was the goal at first....was it not to improve participation of woman in post secondary education...and once achieved...one would have thought it was no longer needed....that crutch...that extra assistance?

So that would support perhaps your suggestion they are the privileged ones?

Yet we still have the numbers in terms of employment...suggesting they are not being held back...they are making a choice?

So the unofficial rules of dating a single parent are different depending on if you are dating a single father or a single mother...based on who will pay their own bills?

Where are the fathers of these children? Why do you fail to acknowledge that single mothers are the sole provider for their children unless they receive child support? Additionally, if the biological father does not have an income, the biological mother receives NO child support, yet still has to financially provide for the child. In what realm should it be the responsibility of the mother to provide if the father cannot or will not? Because it is "her responsibility"? They BOTH made that child. Therefore, it SHOULD be the responsibility of both.

I agree there should be a questions asked about where is the father....and when one asks about why he is not being financially responsible...but I ask that same question of a custodial mother...

49.8% work full time, year round

I find this number unacceptable...be it a father or a mother...be they custodial or non custodial...I fail to see why a free ride should be accorded anyone just because they hide behind their children....

So why are mothers not working? Why do they feel entitled in not working full time to provide for themselves and their children?

I have no problem calling out those who should be responsible for their children....be it a single custodial mother...who is not working or a non custodial father who is also not working...they are both the same....yet I suggest the woman defend the mother as someone who is above questioning....
 nicol3y
Msg: 309
Posted: 6/22/2011 10:38:31 PM

Little weak there...as I have attended university...but then that was almost 30yrs ago.....and I remember the orientation of the womans center was to promote greater or enhanced involvement and support for woman in higher education...something they have achieved as more woman finish high school and more woman enter and graduate university than men.....yet we still have the special support for woman.....and it seems they still have issues in respect to working full time to provide for themselves and their children?

Perhaps you selectively remember the women's center and not support for blacks because that is what you chose to remember. Which university did you attend? I guarantee that university contains a help center for minority groups, whether black, hispanic, native american, etc.
 nicol3y
Msg: 310
Posted: 6/22/2011 10:39:26 PM

Why don't you provide some information from your credible sources so we can compare notes?

What, specifically, would you like information regarding?
 mrcs84
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 1:34:05 AM
What, specifically, would you like information regarding?

Any of your posts where you refuted the statistics provided and basically said they weren't good enough. Though I think post 374 is the only one in this particular thread. The single moms age 18-22 thread had more of what I was talking about, but it's probably best we try not too intermingle the 2 threads too much.
 barleyboy
Msg: 312
Posted: 6/23/2011 12:01:14 PM
That is absolutely right.

It is her kids, not yours, mind your own business.

Raise your own kids.
 nicol3y
Msg: 313
Posted: 6/23/2011 12:47:47 PM

Any of your posts where you refuted the statistics provided and basically said they weren't good enough.

Up to 76% of single mothers in the Chicago region are employed with 77% of those employed working 35 hours a week or more, and less than 10% receive public assistance. Yet, 38.5% of single mothers still earn $30,000 per year or less.

Source/Link: http://www.educationnews.org/articles/more-single-working-mothers-live-in-suburbs-than-cities.html (since you seem to prefer websites to scholarly journal articles).

Last year the proportion of single mothers with jobs reached 71.5 percent, exceeding the 68 percent for married mothers. The figure for single mothers also exceeded that for married ones in the late 1970s and early '80s when married women were less likely to work.

Source/Link: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-11-05/news/0011050225_1_single-mothers-working-mothers-married-mothers (yet another website)
 nicol3y
Msg: 315
Posted: 6/23/2011 2:36:15 PM

May 14, 2009 - two years ago... I think you might find the economy has squashed those results flat...

That article is from November 05, 2000 and refers to the 'strong economy' as well...

Precisely my point. I could not have put it better myself. Single mothers work WHEN THERE ARE JOBS... just like everyone else. What is your point? Why do you fail to provide statistics on the percentage of single working fathers? Better yet, why do you fail to produce current statistics on married working mothers? Perhaps it is because they do not promote the bias and stereotypical point you are attempting to make.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 317
Posted: 6/23/2011 4:46:20 PM
(nicol3y) Perhaps you selectively remember the women's center and not support for blacks because that is what you chose to remember. Which university did you attend? I guarantee that university contains a help center for minority groups, whether black, hispanic, native american, etc.

Is your position so weak, that rather than answer a direct question, you have to try and distract us with special pleading to, "Well, vizmins get special treatment, too, so it's not so bad for wimmin!" Please tell me that this doesn't summarize your moral justification for preferential treatment.

Percentage-wise, more humans live under tyranny than democracy. So, would that justify us chucking out concern for human rights?

Arlo...
 nicol3y
Msg: 318
Posted: 6/23/2011 5:28:35 PM

They got pregnant with losers, or too early, or by 'accident' and that 'these things happen' or because they didn't think they could get pregnant....
Then, they decide they want a great guy... Too bad they didn't have the same criteria before they got pregnant...

You fail to acknowledge the women who were married and the husband had an affair, became abusive, etc.
No, that could not be a reason why there may be young single mothers. If that were true, your stereotype model would be dismissed as bias.
 Tealwood
Msg: 319
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:06:06 PM

Up to 76% of single mothers in the Chicago region are employed with 77% of those employed working 35 hours a week or more, and less than 10% receive public assistance. Yet, 38.5% of single mothers still earn $30,000 per year or less.

Source/Link: http://www.educationnews.org/articles/more-single-working-mothers-live-in-suburbs-than-cities.html (since you seem to prefer websites to scholarly journal articles).

Friday, June 24th About Us Authors Plaintext Feed

. EducationNewsToday EdReports

Groundbreaking new data from Gary Orfield, UCLA, & Malcolm Bush, Chapin Hall, University of Chicago on single mothers released today at forum sponsored by Eleanor Foundation

Interesting article....worthy of reading and comparing with the US census and other Government paper statistic ....but who is this paper sponsored by.....what is their potential political slant???

The Eleanor Foundation promotes economic self-sufficiency for working female heads-of-households, supporting organizations that provide four key services: ...
www.eleanorfoundation.org/ -

Promoting self sufficiency for working single mothers....now when I was in school...I was always taught to look at the ones who prepared the paper and wonder if perhaps their personal agenda might cause the numbers or meaning of the message to be questionable.....

But I doubt the male influence has been able to affect US government statistics?

Last year the proportion of single mothers with jobs reached 71.5 percent, exceeding the 68 percent for married mothers. The figure for single mothers also exceeded that for married ones in the late 1970s and early '80s when married women were less likely to work.

Source/Link: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-11-05/news/0011050225_1_single-mothers-working-mothers-married-mothers (yet another website)

Good link.......

But the news paper.....talks about jobs...not defining full time to part time....as does the 2 government reports....

but it also attribute working increase to

The rate of single mothers with jobs showed hardly any change from 1986 to 1993, remaining around 58 percent. But then it began a sharp rise, as states revamped welfare programs to emphasize work. Last year the proportion of single mothers with jobs reached 71.5 percent, exceeding the 68 percent for married mothers. The figure for single mothers also exceeded that for married ones in the late 1970s and early '80s when married women were less likely to work.

One might question the lack of credibility in these two sources?

I see how you attempt to degrade the BBC as a credible source by using a single, outdated article, to use as the base for your bias and stereotypical arguement. You demonstrate a selective regard for information by ignoring scholarly journal articles as credible,

Where are you receiving your statistics and information? From stereotypes and personal experience, perhaps.

yes personal experiences....but I tend to stay away from articles in the newspaper....

and do suggest U.S. Census Bureau in November, 2009 as a little more credible than a pro single mothers advocacy group?

You fail to acknowledge the women who were married and the husband had an affair, became abusive, etc.
No, that could not be a reason why there may be young single mothers. If that were true, your stereotype model would be dismissed as bias.

When all else fails...fall on the old true and tested...woman are the victims and the guys are the nasty abusers....

Ever hear of Dr. R Sommer?......

University of Manitoba
(draft copy)
PRESENTED AT THE WOMEN'S FREEDOM NETWORK CONFERENCE
Washington, D.C.
October 14-15, 1995

I have been involved in the study of partner abuse for the past eight years. My interest in this issue began with my concern about violence against women. Initially, my examination of partner abuse focused on courtship violence and spouse abuse perpetrated by men. My sense of curiosity led me to go against what I believed to be the essence of partner abuse and examine the prevalence of abuse perpetrated by women. Quite to my surprise, I found that women too, abused their male partners at equivalent rates. This led me to search out other research examining this issue, and again to my surprise I found my findings were not an anomaly, but had considerable support.

Where I went to school....LOL....should mention that SHE was not well received when she presented the thesis....

There are other published papers outlinning that abuse is not single gender issue if you would like to pursue this route?

So you really need to do a little better than blame the guys for abuse.....
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >