Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Single_Dad_Dave
Msg: 149
Dating a person with mental illness scare u?Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
My ex-wife is bi-polar. Lots of issues there. My most difficult clients were bi-polar. I wouldn't take on a bi-polar client. I wouldn't date anyone that was bi-polar.

Going through a divorce, even a peaceful one, is a painful and gut wrenching experience. I would rather have someone talk to a professional and get counseling for some anxiety and depression, than say 'I'm fine. I don't need anything'. It takes time and effort to work through everything, rather than just shoving it under the rug.

I think it's all a matter of degrees.
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 150
Dating a person with mental illness scare u?
Posted: 12/4/2012 11:39:29 AM
It doesn't scare me in the least.
My ex-wife is bi-polar. Lots of issues there......... I wouldn't date anyone that was bi-polar.
Borderline Personality Disorder or severe ADHD/ADD. If they didn't tell, I would figure it out. It's not worth it.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 151
Posted: 12/4/2012 11:47:49 PM
longhorn9901- There is a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation about mental illness.
1 in 5 people has some form of mental illness.
Being a nurse for 16 years has made me a lot more compassionate about it. (I'm not saying you aren't)
With medication, it's manageable.
The only one I couldn't deal with is schizophrenia, that can be dangerous.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 152
Posted: 12/18/2012 7:47:30 PM
It would depend on the intensity & type..
alot of mental illness on POF & the forums too
just be aware when dating...
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 153
Posted: 12/18/2012 10:36:11 PM
No way would I date someone with a mental problems. Seen what a bipolar can be like.. On one side he is the best kid and I mean everyone thinks there is nothing more sweet then him.. Then play a video game and lose the game. Grab a knife and start chasing his sister. Do you want to try and restrain a crazy kid with a knife??? Yes dated his mom I would never be around one again.. How about someone on med and everything is great for a few years and before you know it they run out of the meds or forgot to take them. Now you got a person that you have no idea who he is any more.. Only way to get them back is to somehow get them in a hospital for a long while...Seen a guy I knew go there, With out the meds he was a diffrent person and again out to hurt someone who he thought is out to get him... They can never get better all you can do is take meds to control the problem.. Not all are to the same extrem level some are mild... But look at all the killing and the shooting... Who done them?? don't blame the guns. If there was no gun they would use a knife or make a bomb or drive a car into a bus stop with people.. You name it they would figure it out. Mind you having a mental illness don't make them stupid, Most are very smart.
Very intresting book to read..
http://www.amazon.com/Whoever-Fights-Monsters-Tracking-Killers/dp/0312950446
 ExoticSapphire
Msg: 154
Posted: 12/19/2012 3:36:21 AM
I'm bipolar but I'm upfront on it as soon as I feel its necessary, I think it really has not hindered me on relationships so long as I can keep it under control. As for me, I don't think anyone I've ever dated has ever came out with a mental illness but I know obviously what it is like, so I don't think it'd really bother me.
 activemelaney
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2012 12:37:09 PM
I've been a nurse for decades.... I wouldn't date them. This is different from helping out someone who you are already close to. We question the motivation and stability of a person who wants to get emotionally attached (as opposed to just being helpful) to someone who has a mental disorder or physical illness. . We get to know these individuals over time. Some have savior complexes, others are predators, others just vulnerable sad individuals.
 sddude
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2012 2:26:05 PM
In my experience yes and sometimes no .

one that would talk to cats and invisible dead people on dates was pretty weird, she was sexy peaceful but strange,
was in her little world , ofcourse I was a little afraid.

Another was extremely neurotic nervous and bipolar, tooo damn scary.

One was always crying I married her and fixed her.

Another woudl kill kittens and puppies loved knives, I was deathly afraid .

It all depends on what is wrong, voices in their heads, violence, dilusions, emotionally low.

It all depends what type.

Ofcourse no one would like to be with a scary crazy one.
 Walts
Msg: 157
Posted: 12/20/2012 5:02:33 PM
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it. Why would I???? I'm nuttier than a 3 dollar bill. Birds of the same feather, flock together??????

The relationship definitely wouldn't end because of "boredom".
 Thewildbologna
Msg: 158
Posted: 12/20/2012 5:14:21 PM
^^^Excellent post^^^ I have been dealing with depression for years and I consider myself to be more normal than half the people out there.
 mkb023
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2012 8:03:03 PM
Girl, I agree with you, not only run the other way, but run like your hair is on fire...........usually people with mental/personality issues know how to hook people in, so DO NOT be fooled!!!!!
 FSU9144
Msg: 160
Posted: 12/23/2012 12:37:54 AM
As long is a person properly medicated, and has no prior history to psychological outbursts. Then I no I wouldn't have a problem dating someone who is mentally ill.
 FSU9144
Msg: 161
Posted: 12/23/2012 9:47:04 PM
Was that meant for me?
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 162
Posted: 12/26/2012 3:20:47 PM
Seriously?

If that scared me, why would I be on PoF?
 privat33r
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2012 8:35:31 PM
I worked beaches, pools and swamps as a lifeguard for a long while. The swamps were some type of neanderthal experiment. Everyone non-medicated and uncontrolled showed up there. Ever once in a while a day group from a controlled facility would stop by and mention, "we're bringing half a dozen kids here today - they have serious personality problems" but their kids would be from the rich area of town and would be absolutely in shock at the chaotic mental and physical violence that our beach had. Some of our kids were 14 hours a day 7 days a week all day wild - not in the yelling screaming fighting type, but the horrendous tortured danger and lifethreatening crazed whackonia. We used to assess people by the number of lifeguard's attention they demanded- 4 guard problems were serious as they could potentially force us to leave water unwatched - so we'd not devote that many people unless their was a direct and immediate threat of loss of life. There were 4 guard folk.

Decidedly, immediately and dangerously crazy is rare. Even on the far end of the spectrum there are many levels. The guys beyond what I encounted, those stuck in pens, can't stop masterbating or leaping on anyone. Then there are lower levels of wild, maybe just a phonebook sized file with every police office and public service agency- a few weird incidence a month- maybe showing up at a bfs workplace to scream about how he fingered her to the collected patients waiting to see their doc, phoning 500 times to an ex's new gf; almost fun.

Next you get to the easier to date types and simply debilitating mental illnesses, - nothing that involves the authorities on a completely regular basis- that's just the fun stuff. Gotta get used to a few peices of skin removed, the tires slashed, your heirlooms destroyed and strange accusations floating around the workplace. Its dating not playschool.

Lots of people don't believe there is mental illness, that its just societal control. To some degree there is sense to that. Our dna contains all of the streaks that cause mayhem along with the settled citifolk gentrified aspect- and in some conditions the wilder bits likely helped- or we wouldn't still have them. A beserker in 11th century Norway wasn't as much an issue as now. No few expect to share an apartment complex with that dude or a cubicle for 35 years. For most folk anyone that might bite has issues. Seems sorta closed minded - how many have tried that out - see if there's benefits to getting bit?
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 164
Posted: 12/26/2012 9:08:59 PM
+1
I think the Southeastern swamplands have some people with serious bi-polar issues. But maybe my thinking is crazy. lol
Date mental illness? Not on purpose!
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 165
Posted: 12/27/2012 9:07:40 AM
What most people FAIL to realize is that a mental issue can strike ANYONE, at ANYTIME. Situational depression is also considered a mental illness, albeit temporary. You should certainly stay away from the Jeffery Dahmers, and Ted Bundys but to lump everyone else into the same category as these guys, just makes you crazy. The stigma attached to mental illness is what skews peoples opinions towards it. Would I date someone with a mental disorder? I honestly believe that I have NEVER dated anyone without one.
 cashleys
Msg: 166
Posted: 12/29/2012 7:40:46 PM
That is true WHAAT-- One correction to a previous post- Aspergers is NOT a mental illness.

It is an autism not mental illnesss. It can be mild or more pronounced, but has nothing to do with Mental illness.
 shadoe_89
Msg: 167
Posted: 12/29/2012 11:13:49 PM

Girl, I agree with you, not only run the other way, but run like your hair is on fire...........usually people with mental/personality issues know how to hook people in, so DO NOT be fooled!!!!!

Wow, you're an incredible ass.
 BlacKONWhite00
Msg: 168
Posted: 12/30/2012 9:51:02 AM
Depends on the illness like other posters mentioned. I work with clients with mental illness. Some will be fine while taking meds but alot seem to think that once they feel better they can get off them.

Its draining and exhausting. You know mental illness does not go away, it can be controlled to a point in some cases and some not.

Wonders why you started this thread?
 BlacKONWhite00
Msg: 169
Posted: 12/30/2012 10:29:14 AM
bhawk I do find that really hard to believe but am wondering what mental illnesses these people had to be able to be weened off meds? Let me know please?

I should have reworded it to say that certain mental illnesses and more extreme ones are permament
 siisaa
Msg: 170
Posted: 8/2/2018 10:59:07 PM
No thanks. ~ 7 years ago, I dated a guy with mental illness and firmly believe that had I stuck around, he would/could have caused me physical harm. It was a roller coaster - not the fun kind. When things were good, they were REALLY good (including the amazing sex) but when we were on the rocks....it was volatile. It was hard as hell to extract myself from the situation because I wanted to hold onto the fond memories.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2018 8:39:47 AM
I am a Veteran, I have PTSD, and am Service Connected for it. It was not due to Combat, but from hearing car bombs while TDY in Greece.
Any Mental Condition will be affecting your loved ones to an extent.
 Inicia
Msg: 172
Posted: 8/8/2018 7:08:35 AM
Nope, know many "mentally ill" people with wonderful fully- developed, honest personalities and character-counseling and therapy can provide self introspection and personal emotional growth-"normies" may/can fear any form of therapy or self introspection; consequently, fail litmus test of honest self awareness. Yet both "normal" and "mentally ill" can resist personal growth-my red flag is the stagnation not the mental status. lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >