Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 86
Dating someone who`s a Cigarette Smoker and your not. Page 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
For me it depends on how much they smoke. I'll smoke a cigar every once in a great while, although I really don't care for them. Someone has a baby, you are with a group all having a cigar or some other special occasion. I don't think that classifies me as a smoker.

If I met a woman and she was an occasional smoker I might find it tolerable. I would expect that they were sincere and honest about how much they smoke. I've dated someone that smoked alot. Say 1 or more per hour. That was a dealbreaker for me. So like I said. It's not cut and dry for me.
 geminijen77
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Dating someone who`s a Cigarette Smoker and your not.
Posted: 11/3/2009 2:12:21 PM
I gotta say, smoking is a deal breaker for me. If I find out that someone smokes even just a few socially on Saturday nights, I just loose all interest. If it's a deal breaker for you, you gotta tell her. Maybe you can remain friends, maybe not. Hey; we all have standards, turn ons and turn offs.
Jen
 allymygirl2009
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:04:39 AM
As already said she lied on her profile, As i am sure many do, I know smokers have become much less , But lets be honest almost every profile I have viewed say they dont smoke... I smoke, do I chain smoke NO or in my home or anyone elses NO, Do I respect others and go away from people if I feel the need to smoke YES.

Even though I am in the process of quiting slowly, I still answered YES on my profile is it hurting the replies I get , yes, But atleast I was honest on my profile and thats what matters honesty.....
 allymygirl2009
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:10:13 AM
I love people that bash smokers, I may smoke, But I use breath mints and body spray if I feel the need to smoke. More then I can say for those that drink . I am not fond of kissing a guy whos breath/mouth smells of beer.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:28:22 AM

^^^^^....

That's what I used to think too... mints and body sprays don't do a dayyyummmm thing...actually make it even worse...
this one year smoke free, I learned a lot about my self... how I used to smell, how I used to think it was nothing...

Once you quit, after 6 months you get your smell functionality/taste buds back... then you find out how terrible you *used to* smell...
believe me, it's obnoxious, disgusting to a non-smoker... all the mints in the world won't change that....
I've been a non-smoker for going on a year and a half now and I still love the smell of a burning cigarette... so exactly when is this distaste suppose to kick in?

Also, when I was a smoker, I worked closely with non-smokers... it came as a bit of a surprise to one of the girls that I was a smoker, two months after she and I started working on the same project and had constant contact with each other... I also had dated a man that had forgotten that I was a smoker... it was about three months into things that he realized this as he stopped by my work unexpectedly and I was outside having a cigarette... and no, I've never hidden that I was a smoker.

Not every smoker carries the smell with them...
 hotrodius
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:16:58 AM
That will never happen i have Zero tolerence for smokers.
 tj71
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 7:42:03 PM
I am a non smoker and I made the grave mistake of dating a smoker. I knew she smoked but, against my own beliefs, decided to continue dating her. Not only was she a smoker she was a 3 pack a day chain smoker that did not hold back at all! Let me tell you, before I met her I was just a regular joe who did not like it but was *ok* with it, and had dated a few gals who smoked before with no issues. I was ok with it, but of course I preferred a non smoker but if the right gal came around would tolerate it. Well this gal was great and I decided to give it a go. BIG MISTAKE. I am now an ANTI SMOKER who is appalled about this terrible addiction and am besides myself that Tobacco is even legal! (9/10 people get hooked on Tobacco!) It has been hell dealing with such an addict! She smokes a cig every ~20 minutes! She smokes several cigs in the morning with her morning coffee! Before she even gets in the shower! I was constantly waiting on her while she smoked. Everywhere we went we had to go outside to take "smoke breaks" It got old. She was constantly wasting my time and smokers are selfish like this. I told her within the first month that I did not want her to smoke in the car with me. After a huge fight she finally agreed to not do that. I told her I did not want lung cancer. Smokers are SELFISH! And the hacking cough and raspy voice did not help matters! And her ash tray perfume was terrible! She claimed early on she wanted to quit. That is why I hung on and wanted to make it work. I fell in love with her and I cared about her so I stuck around! She struggled to even try to quit and finally with lots of nagging did for 2 months (chantix) but relapsed and never tried again. (She kept saying she would try in a few weeks) A year later I ended it.

If you do not like smoking do yourself a favor and never date a smoker. The smokes will always come before you. You cannot change anyone.

I wonder how many relationships where one smokes and the other doesn't even lasts?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:54:35 AM
Just be honest. You would rather not date smokers, as you really get put off by the smell. You only contacted her because she wrote that she was a non-smoker, and she's not. End of.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 2:03:26 PM
RE Msg: 118 by RonnieB77:
Deal killer for me. Don't like the smell or the smell of it on my clothes, in my hair or in my car or house. Don't like the breath or the taste. Like swingers and cheaters, smokers should date each other.
Smokers prefer to date each other. But smoking reduces the appetite. Conversely, quitting smoking so increases eating habits, that scientists have found that if you quit, you develop a much higher chance of diabetes. So in general, smokers tend to be slimmer than non-smokers. Today, with so many obese people, being slimmer is considered more attractive, but especially in women. So a lot of male non-smokers like to date female smokers. That causes a problem with the idea that smokers should date each other. Now, if male non-smokers wouldn't have sex with female smokers, that would make it possible for smokers to date each other. But what are the chances of that?
 blondindian
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 12:06:09 PM
Lets see another OP looking for politically correct opinions when clearly they should go with what makes them happy, if you are one of those people who has to have your own happiness determined by what others think you should do, I do indeed feel sorry for those people . Its true smoking is a nasty habit, but it is a habit that I chose . I being one that knows first hand as I smoke also. If you dont like it dont be around it the same goes for drunks druggies prostitution
And as to why anyone does things to their body they know as unhealthy ,problematic or known to cause trouble is a basis for all the shrinks in the world
For those that want to ban or shun or delete people from society who smoke lets just go all out and claim marshall law on these poisons or habits of ill repute
Zero tolerance: Drinking alchohol to any excess :exterminated
Zero tolerance :Drinking and Driving :exterminated
Zero tolerance :Consuming controlled or mind altering substance :exterminated
Zero tolerance :consuming coffee,chocolate, caffeine,preservatives;exterminated
Zero tolerance :Soliciting prostitution, giving or receiving:exterminated
Zero tolerance :STD's Being guilty of giving or receiving :exterminated
Zero tolerance:Spewing carbon monoxide and poison upon Earth:exterminated
Zero tolerance:Cheating ,adultery,premarital or unsafe sex:exterminated
Zero tolerance:Lying :exterminated
Zero tolerance :Being Jewish in Germany in Hitlers reign:exterminated
Zero tolerance: Whats Next oh STUPIDITY:EXTERMINATED
OH was that wrong? all I was trying to do was make it a better world as I see it, the list is endless,opps there isnt hardly anyone left on the planet ..the last perfect person I've ever heard of they nailed to a cross I for one would rather kneel at the bottom then be tacked to the top! Someone save us from ourselves....LOL
 CommonSensible
Msg: 135
Posted: 1/14/2010 12:28:18 PM
Simple you end it.

You say: "I'm very disappointed that you MISrepresented yourself as a non-smoker. If I'd seen that you DID smoke on your profile, I NEVER would have contacted you."

That's it.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 3:01:01 PM
RE Msg: 135 by cooldudeinberlin:
who was the idiot that said "smokers tend to be thinner than non smokers"? how ridiculous... however, statistical data proves this otherwise, in most situations, smokers have a higher tendency to be obese.
That was me.

Study #1:
Conclusion: Current smokers were of low BMI compared to non smokers and ex smokers, and currently light smokers were also of low BMI compared to ex smokers. There was no association of central obesity to smoking status.
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15083336

Study #2:
The increase in BMI with number of cigarettes was paralleled by an increase in coffee and alcohol consumption.
http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0011/ea0011p285.htm

On average, smokers have a LOWER BMI than non-smokers and ex-smokers. Even light smokers have a LOWER BMI than ex-smokers. When smokers have a higher BMI than non-smokers or ex-smokers, it's when the smokers are consuming a lot more coffee and sugar and/or alcohol, which accounts for the greater calories.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 5:46:06 AM
RE Msg: 144 by padman57:
No offense, but the first link you provide is to a study done in Oman. The second was done in Norway, and the difference being noted is pretty marginal. The fact that nonsmokers recorded an average BMI of 25.9, those who smoked 1-5 cigarettes per day recorded at 24.9, and those that smoked greater than 21 cigarettes per day recorded at 25.9 suggests there are confounding factors in their data.
There might be. But one thing that's been found recently is that ex-smokers have a much higher risk of diabetes. The most likely explanation for that, is that smoking depresses the appetite, and that when smokers quit, they almost always find they have a huge desire to eat much more food, particularly sweet things, and put on quite a bit of weight as a result. With a population that is 25% obese in the UK, that is bound to send huge numbers ever more overweight into levels that cause diabetes.

Just from a medical view, it makes sense. Smoking depresses the appetite, and that means you eat less food, and in today's Western countries, where most of us eat far too many calories, that means that smokers will absorb less calories, and will consequently be thinner.

The problem with that is that it's considered generally more attractive to be thinner, and healthier in these times, and non-smokers don't like to hear that they lose some advantages by not smoking. But you cannot have everything your own way. Nothing we can do can be perfect.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 9:26:11 AM
RE Msg: 149 by padman57:

There might be. But one thing that's been found recently is that ex-smokers have a much higher risk of diabetes. The most likely explanation for that, is that smoking depresses the appetite, and that when smokers quit, they almost always find they have a huge desire to eat much more food, particularly sweet things, and put on quite a bit of weight as a result. With a population that is 25% obese in the UK, that is bound to send huge numbers ever more overweight into levels that cause diabetes.
Seems more likely to me that smokers become addicted to food as a substitute for the addiction they're trying to break.
That's a possibility. But it takes years of over-eating to develop diabetes. So it's not a substitute in the short-term. It shows that smokers who quit and switching to using food as a long-term addiction. So currently, smokers who quit are not really helping themselves all that much.

Secondly, in the UK alone, about 25% of people are obese, and about 25% are smokers. Unless 100% of smokers have given up, some of those obese people are never-smokers. Only 10% of smokers actually quit (http://www.quitsmokinghub.com/smoking_statistics.shtml). Even if they ALL became obese, which is not the case, that would only account for 2.5% of obese people. So the vast majority of obese people are never-smokers.

I know that you put yourself down as athletic. You're 5'10". So weight doesn't show on you anywhere near as much as me. But the fact is, that you are in the minority of the population of the US for being athletic. You're the exception to the rule.

If smoking suppresses the appetite, why would the data in the one study sited previously show that heavier smokers trended to having a higher BMI than lighter smokers?
If you read the study, you'll notice that this was found to be attributed to heavy smokers having an unhealthy lifestyle in general.

So it can be said that heavy smokers, 21 cigarettes or more per day, are in general likely to lead a very unhealthy lifestyle, and thus are likely to be fatter. Only about 32% of smokers are heavy smokers. Those who smoke 20 cigarettes or less per day on average, have a lower BMI. Almost 70% of smokers are not heavy smokers. So on average, smokers have a lower BMI.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=866

One trait I have noticed in people I know that smoke- they come up with the most creative excuses to keep doing it.

As for the hypocrisy of nonsmokers- I don't see it. If someone wants to smoke, I say let them. I just won't date them and I don't want to be around them when they're expelling fumes. I don't date women who are alcoholics or obese, either.
I wasn't giving anyone a reason to start smoking. But one trait I have noticed in non-smokers is that they are very self-righteous about smokers, and keep telling them to keep away. You have legs. If you claim to be healthier than smokers, then you are more able to use them than smokers, so by your own views, you should be the one to walk away from smokers. So why do non-smokers regularly demand that smokers have to bend over backwards to please them, by keeping away from non-smokers?

Smokers don't want to date non-smokers. Non-smokers are in general self-righteous smug a**holes when talking to smokers. No-one wants to date an a**hole.

RE Msg: 150 by mermaid140:
I was a smoker and I just quit. I haven't smoked in 7 days. I have noticed that I am more hungry than I used to be. When you stop smoking your metabolism changes. It slows down. I expect I will gain a few pounds but I am not shoving cookies down my throat either.
Try celery. It has zero calories. I'm sure that there are quite a few other vegetables with almost no calories.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 6:28:00 PM
RE Msg: 154 by padman57:

I know that you put yourself down as athletic. You're 5'10". So weight doesn't show on you anywhere near as much as me. But the fact is, that you are in the minority of the population of the US for being athletic. You're the exception to the rule.
I'm athletic because I've spent a lifetime playing sports that require running and jumping and skating and pedaling.
What's that got to do with smoking?

I know few nonsmokers and virtually no smokers that can say the same. At least not at my age.
I know plenty of guys your age who smoke, and a few non-smokers your age. Lots of people do. I'm not sure what your point is?

Frankly, BMI is a lousy tool for evaluating how healthy a person's body weight is. It does not take into account how much muscle mass a person is carrying. Two people can be the same height and weight, one could be ripped and the other paunchy.
You didn;t have problem with it before. You have a problem with it now that I've analysed the data to prove the point.

Anyway, BMI is NOT for "ripped" people. It's an estimation for average people in the West, who don't do enough exercise to have a lot of muscle bulk, so they can have a good idea for themseves when they are putting on too much weight, and when it's time to consult the doctor, or to consider starting on an exercise regimen.
I wasn't giving anyone a reason to start smoking. But one trait I have noticed in non-smokers is that they are very self-righteous about smokers, and keep telling them to keep away. You have legs. If you claim to be healthier than smokers, then you are more able to use them than smokers, so by your own views, you should be the one to walk away from smokers. So why do non-smokers regularly demand that smokers have to bend over backwards to please them, by keeping away from non-smokers?

Smokers don't want to date non-smokers. Non-smokers are in general self-righteous smug a**holes when talking to smokers. No-one wants to date an a**hole.
When I have to run the gauntlet around the entrance to our office building, I hold my breath until I get through the other side of the cloud. The rest of the time, it isn't an issue because I simply don't go places that allow smoking. Except restaurants, because my state is just now getting around to passing a law to ban smoking in them.
When I leave the house, I have to hold my breath to stop choking on car fumes. Unless your state has banned cars, you are suffering from the same problem.

I absolutely, positively don't care one iota that someone would stereotype me as an a**hole just because I don't smoke and I don't want to be around anyone that does.

I equate a smoker to someone with bad dental hygiene. I won't date them either.
No-one is going to force you to date either people with bad dental hygiene or smokers. Smokers just don't like being around self-righteous a**holes who like to put down other people, just to make themselves feel better, because they have such low self-esteem, that without putting others down, they would feel like sh*t.

You want to make out like you're a decent human being? Stop being selective over who you pick on.

No-one cares if you don't want to date a smoker. But if you really want to not date a smoker, then act like it. You've already excluded anyone who doesn't live in the US from mailing you. So you're not interested in people mailing you for the forums. Be honest. If you don't want to date smokers, then exclude them from being able to contact you for a date.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2010 12:38:05 PM
RE Msg: 161 by padman57:

What's that got to do with smoking?
You tell me, you're the one that brought up my body type as though it had something to do with the discussion.
You said that BMI was BS, as it couldn't tell the difference between someone "ripped" and someone "paunchy". I pointed out that it was never intended to do that, as it's easy to see if someone is ripped or not, you only have to look at them to see that.

I then pointed out that you might not have realised that, because you are very tall and very athletic, and weight simply doesn't show up that much on a very tall and thin body like yours, so you might be not understanding why doctors started using BMI in the first place, because you might be assuming that 90% of the world is like you, when 90% of the world is not like you.

I know plenty of guys your age who smoke, and a few non-smokers your age. Lots of people do. I'm not sure what your point is?
Lots of people do what? The majority of people my age that I meet are sedentary, they have not spent a lifetime playing sports regularly.
That was again my point about BMI. BMI was designed for the average person in the West, and the average person in the West leads an incredibly sedentary lifestyle. For them, BMI is an incredibly useful tool for them to become self-aware of when their weight is getting to a point where it may seriously threaten their health and their life.

BMI is not designed for someone like you at all. You know when you are putting on weight, because you can see when you are getting fat, and you can see when you cannot exercise as much, that it's starting to become an issue. You have your way of measuring health problems, and most people have BMI.

The percentage of smokers in my age group that play sports that require good cardiovascular health is even smaller. They can't because they've spent their lifetime destroying their heart and lungs.

I'm not talking about getting together for hit and giggle games a couple times a year. I'm talking about playing at a competitive level multiple times per week.
I agree that smoking for over 30 years is bound to cause a hit in your performance level.

However, the percentage of non-smokers who play competitively several times a week in their fifties, is virtually non-existent in the West. Only people who do things like chi gung regularly and are very careful about what they eat, regularly display that level of fitness.

However, there was a programme about the Shimshal people. The men would smoke. But even in their fifties, they displayed a level of fitness that even Western athletes would find hard to match. They eat a basic diet of natural foods, devoid of artificial chemicals, are far from the car smoke and industrial pollutants, and get huge amounts of exercise every day.

The most major effect on our health, are our diet, regular exercise, not eating too much, car smoke, industrial pollutants, and also smoking cigarettes. But of those, diet and exercise cause the most major problems. It's why we are so worried about the obesity crisis. Smoking has been roughly the same for about the last 50 years. It's caused problems. But it hasn't crushed the health services. Obesity is clearly causing so many health problems, that even if we wiped out smoking completely, our health services will never be able to cope. The reason is obvious. Someone who smokes for 30 years, cannot compete on a competitive level multiple times a week. But he can still get regular exercise, enough to keep his body mostly in trim. An obese person simply has no chance to do that. His body simply cannot carry the weight. So he just cannot do what needs to be done to keep the body in trim. The most worrying is the kids who don't go near a cigarette, but are obese. They have far worse health than someone your age who is a heavy smoker.

You want to make out like you're a decent human being? Stop being selective over who you pick on.
I haven't picked on anyone. Nice try with the straw man, though.
I pointed out that smokers are in general thinner than their non-smoking counterparts. I never claimed they were healthier than everyone else. I simply pointed out that things are not always one-way, that non-smokers are not always healthier or more advantaged in every way. You seemed to have a problem with that. If you want to claim that anytime that someone doesn't totally disagree with you, their points are irrelevant, then that's your choice. But I'm not going to tell anyone that you are being rational.

I equate a smoker to someone with bad dental hygiene. I won't date them either.
No-one is going to force you to date either people with bad dental hygiene or smokers. Smokers just don't like being around self-righteous a**holes who like to put down other people, just to make themselves feel better, because they have such low self-esteem, that without putting others down, they would feel like sh*t.
LOL, you do have a thing for those straw men, don't you?
You brought up dental hygiene, not me. If you have a problem with following your own train of thought, then you are arguing with yourself. Not my problem.

No-one cares if you don't want to date a smoker. But if you really want to not date a smoker, then act like it. You've already excluded anyone who doesn't live in the US from mailing you. So you're not interested in people mailing you for the forums. Be honest. If you don't want to date smokers, then exclude them from being able to contact you for a date.
Not that it's any of your business, but I excluded smokers until someone in the forums mentioned they tried to send me a note and couldn't. Do you think decent people dig through others' profiles looking for ammunition to feed their hissy fit?
Read the forums. When people post a question, asking about what they should do about their partner, lots of posters then point out that their own profiles say they are single, and they're being hypocritical. On plenty of other threads, people also point out how their problems are directly shown by what they wrote in their profiles. I don't see why it's OK to do that to everyone but you, or to everything but smoking.

Also, why couldn't you have messaged them? Then they could have messaged you back anyway. There was no need to change your profile at all.

And, no, I won't take the gender and international restrictions down for you.
I'm not the admin or a mod. I cannot make you do anything. Whatever you do is your choice. But I have the right to point out when your own words are contradictory.

You didn;t have problem with it before. You have a problem with it now that I've analysed the data to prove the point.
All you've proven is that you've dug something up and you're attempting to use it to rationalize your behavior.
I'm not rationalising anything. In case you didn't notice, I gave mermaid140 some advice on how to keep up with her current attempt to stay away from smoking. I have no problem in admitting that smoking is harmful, and it's a good idea to not smoke. But equally, I don't want to be irrational, and claim things are true about smokers that clearly aren't true, like claiming smokers are fatter than non-smokers, when they clearly aren't, and when the opposite appears to be true, because if I start being irrational about smokers, then that's when I am in danger of rationalising my behaviour.

This is what I see is a problem with non-smokers. Instead of being able to just agree rationally, and get to the root problems, they too often go on the defensive about anything that doesn't totally support their POV in every way. It breeds irrational behaviour, and it's irrational behaviour that is the root of smoking. So in a way, they are fighting against their own POV.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 1:07:22 PM
RE Msg: 164 by padman57:
Oy! This has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. I apologize to everyone that has had to read this.

Do you know what a straw man is? It is when you misrepresent someone's position and then proceed to attack that misrepresentation. You've employed the tactic several times. You've also employed the tactic of attacking the person rather than the argument a number of times. If you'd like to engage in an intelligent discussion, I suggest you learn to control these impulses.

I see nothing to be gained by continuing this exchange.
That's because you keep using strawman arguments, and ad hominem arguments to discredit my research. You've given up on arguing with the stats, because you can see that the more you do, the more I show that the data reflects what I say.

I never argued that smoking was a great thing. I simply pointed out one simple observation about smokers, and you didn't like that. Tough.

RE Msg: 176 by txredbull:
Tell her you want her to stop smoking..... Get her some Chantix. If you like her, don't give up on her that quickly unless she won't stop. Many smokers just need some pushing, a reason to quit, and someone to hold their hand....love is a good reason and a good motivator.

And, obviously you do like her or you would be gone already.
This works for about 6 months, and then it starts again. People don't quit things and stay off them because you want to, any more than the Americans accepted paying heavy taxes just because the British did. Eventually, they refuse. People really only change because they want to.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 5:24:04 PM
RE Msg: 188 by padman57:
Your posts are LOADED with straw men and ad hominems. That you would even consider leveling such an accusation is ridiculous. Your insistence on using these tactics is the ONLY reason I've chosen to disengage.
I've used the same methods of argument that I've always used, only that these days, I do tend to be a lot more thoughtful before I post. It's never stopped anyone from arguing with me before, or from making their points enough that I've agreed when they were right about me being wrong.

You googled a couple of websites that presented data that, on the surface, seemed to support your constantly shifting conclusion.
My views are that in general, smokers tend to be thinner than their counterparts. You've even suggested this. You claimed to be a man over 50 who still plays sports competitively more than once a week, which is way above average for non-smokers, and yet you seem to think that average smokers your age should be able to do this, when the vast majority of non-smoking men your age cannot.

What you've failed to prove is that the trend you're trumpeting is statistically significant.
I don't know if you've noticed: Studies tend to state when a result is not statistically significant. These studies stated the BMI was lower in general, and that is significant on something as large as BMI, because weight = BMI x height^2. With the average height of men in the UK over 25 at 5'8.5", 1.74m, that means that each unit increase in BMI is of the value of 3 kg, which 6.7 pounds, almost half a stone. A half a stone difference is very significant.

You seem to have a problem with accepting that smokers are on average thinner than their counterpart non-smokers.

Is there a particular reason why?
 fetish4u
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 12:01:03 PM
I'm a non-smoker and I have no problem dating someone that smokes.I do think think you should be honest about yourself on the profile.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 197
Posted: 1/19/2010 11:31:56 PM
I smoke. I wouldn't contact a non-smoker, but they have contacted me (some *really* don't care). But gotta say, I truly don't understand why anyone would lie about it (or age, or weight, or education or, or, or). Aren't we looking for someone to love us for who we *are*?

I give up.
 platypus_man
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 8:50:26 AM
Smokers should stick with smokers, non smokers with non smokers. I haven't seen a lot of really happy couples that are mixed. After a while, the stink gets to the non smoker, and they start enjoy contact less and less. Just my observation.
 Applette
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 6:02:21 PM
Bully for you!!
 Applette
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 6:12:18 PM
Sorry people ...... I am a avid smoker ... love it! Tastes amazing .. my best friend at night as I watch that little flame in the dark! hahaaha ... I think of Betty Davis .. ummm a true classy smoker! And what amazing eyes ... glazed over with smoke as it drifts upward ........... lol ...

I would rather be a smoker then an over eater ......... which to me is a greater health hazard then a smoker ..... now we in Canada have a weight problem almost as great as the States and Great Britain .... maybe the government should be taxing the hell out of fat people .... see how you like it!!!! Trust me it will come to it ... as it is far more costly to insurance companies then smoking ever was. Now that I am on topic of bad things for people .... how about drinking ... kills far more innocent people then a smoking every did .. never heard of smokes being an excuse to beat up the little woman ... or destroy families .... Put that in your pipe and sm oke it ..... !!!!!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 245
Posted: 3/17/2010 12:54:15 PM
OPie, I'd let her go. She obviously fudged. I don't see any reason to hang around.

That said ~~ some non-smokers (never and former) really don't have issues with it. And there are all levels of addiction response to nicotine. Men in general don't seem to get as addicted as women. On every level their response is less than a female's response. It's not as much *fun* for them, so it's easier to quit on the whole.

I find it amusing that when I was a child one of the more wonderful smells of autumn was the smoke of leaf-burning: virtually everyone liked it. Nor was there *that* much difference between the smell of burning tree leaves and burning tobacco leaves. Live long enough and you're sure to have a few laughs at peeps' pretensions, lol! And who *are* these people who lick ash trays so they can say with any honesty that kissing a smoker is like that. . . . ?
 lateā„¢
Msg: 266
Posted: 3/18/2010 1:09:07 PM
My S.O. smokes cigarettes (with natural no additive tobacco), and I smoke a pipe (yes, ...like you're old uncle Henry), my preference is hand blended tobacco, but a bag of Borkum Riff will do in a pinch. Now, I am not a big fan of the smell of cigarette tobacco, ...not as much as I dislike the smell of dill though (I really can't stand it).

One thing I have noticed from smokers and non-smokers alike is how most people like the smell of my pipe tobacco. During the rest stops on a recent bus journey I made, ...people kept saying, "what's that smell, it smells great!" ...they'd look around and spot me and figure it out.

There are worse things than being a smoker, ....being a judgmental holier -than-thou control freak comes to mind..... Now there's a deal-breaker!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >