Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Relationship with a "metrosexual"!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whatever3321
Msg: 23
Relationship with a metrosexual! Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
*turns on music* (Brad Paisley-I'm Still A Guy)
I like how the stereotype for homosexuals is used..... But metro sexual men are pretty close to fairies, not all gay men act like that. I would like to blame this whole metro sexual thing on "queer eye for the straight guy" same way I blame disney for brainwashing children.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Relationship with a metrosexual!
Posted: 10/22/2009 1:46:53 PM

I would like to blame this whole metro sexual thing on "queer eye for the straight guy"

Actually it goes in the other direction: the metrosexual was first identified as a potentially untapped market in the general cosmetics industry (where growth due to women's purchases was weak), and then "queer eye for the straight guy" came along to play into this largely manufactured "trend".

From wikipedia:
The term originated in an article by Mark Simpson) published on November 15, 1994, in The Independent. Simpson wrote:
“Metrosexual man, the single young man with a high disposable income, living or working in the city (because that’s where all the best shops are), is perhaps the most promising consumer market of the decade. In the Eighties he was only to be found inside fashion magazines such as GQ, in television advertisements for Levis jeans or in gay bars. In the Nineties, he’s everywhere and he’s going shopping.”

The term greatly increased in popularity following Simpson's 2002 Salon.com article "Meet the metrosexual"...
(in case you didn't fall for the sales pitch the first time)

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy first appeared the next year, in 2003. Maybe the mainstreaming of metrosexuality due to all the buzz the show created made it somewhat more acceptable, but I'm still of the opinion this is mostly about marketing and represents a trend in search of a demographic.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 7:41:09 PM
Is his voice and the way he carries himself feminine too? I like a man with some meat on him and a deep voice. However, a man like this can be a great listener and friend and hang out buddy,but for me not an intimate partner. I am attracted to the male species and its characteristics.
 Kimberish925
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 9:14:58 PM
Metros are not androgynous....they are just men who know how to take care of themselves and their surroundings. They don't act like sissys. They also don't act like homophobes.
What's wrong with a guy who prefers to dress nice, stay well groomed and not act like a neandrethal in public? I can only speak of the ones I've known or dated but they were far from feminine, yet I would call them metro because of their personal style or tastes.
 Kimberish925
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 9:36:44 PM
The last metro I dated wore Aqua d Gio, was an avid hockey player, had a great personality. The only non masculin thing with him was not being very mechanically inclined.
You are right, it is subjective, to each thier own. I personally don't like overly muscular men, however that doen't mean that I won't think outside the box and get to know them as a person. Simply because you never know.
Division...Im not going to quote your profile but if you were to read it to yourself you would see that you are a contridiction. You say one thing there but are not open minded at all. I mean no ill will towards you...just sayin'
 damassteel
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2009 11:36:05 AM
Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Sugar Ray Robinson, Clark Gable, Cary Grant and scores of other celebrities fit the description of metrosexual to some extent.
My dad was too. He did his nails with clear polish, was fastidiuous with his clothes and grooming. He was a machinist and week days smelled of Oil, metal and degreaser. On the weekends and special occasions he was as dapper as they come. When He and my mom went out on the town, they looked like two movie stars on a lark. His ties, cuff links, and jewelry were always the finest quality he could afford. But he had a dog , went hunting, fixed cars, all the "Manly things". He was my role model and I grew up to be very much like him. I love clothes and jewelry. I don't shave or wax anything, but my grooming is important to me. I'm a blacksmith and a metal cratfsman so my hands are tough and burnt from years of this work, so I'm afraid I've lost the manicure battle for good. But yes, I like jazz and classical music, wine over beer, and I can help any woman shop for an occasion and she'll look damned good when I'm done with her.
My house is neat and well decorated and I damned sure can cook. Guys are a lot more nuanced than some here are willing to accept. And yes I've always done real well with the ladies; not a gay bone in my body. So yeah...I think I'm somewhat "metro", and it's definitely working for me.
 damassteel
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2009 12:05:13 PM

My man doesn't have a feminine bone is his body...

Well I've definitely got a few in mine, but it sure doesn't make me gay. Women have always loved the few I've got. And nobody in my life has ever thought of me as gay, except for some of the forumites here maybe...
 damassteel
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2009 5:48:41 PM
Here's what being kinda "metro" means to me:
I don't need a woman to cook, clean, pick my clothes,teach me manners or culture, tell me what's tasteful or not, I can do all that stuff for myself...and have done a damned good job with it.
I just feel more independent and autonomous. I was like that even when married. That lets me pursue a completely different kind of relationship with a woman; one that's based on shared pleasures and companionship alone... NOT stereotypic "gender models". I'm someone who questions a lot of things...never was big on"that's just the way it is",I'll find out and decide for myself, thank you very much.
All that extreme mirror gazing, primping and crap doesn't even enter the picture. I just like the idea of defining my own style and way of being a MAN that doesn't neccessarily jibe with mainstream trends; WAY too limiting and narrow. Imagine that ...letting others decide how you're going to move and be in this life. That's just crazy.
 Jontheknight
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2010 11:04:13 PM
Personally I am one.

Yea but who you decribed OMG he is a woman did you check if he had a well you know... Even i dont go fair into make-up and stuff. jeez 0.o I just like trying to make myself look good with like hair gel. Make sure i get out of the shower clean and smelling great. but really? Thats going a bit too far.
 jamie9562
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/7/2010 3:55:07 AM

WOW have I learned alot after reading the posts on here. I have been called metrosexual and to read all the womens posts that seem to like the total opposite. So I guess on my next date I wont shower since you gotta have that manly B.O. ,let my hair look like I just got out of bed, try and grow that unibrow, trade in a nice suit for a pair of over alls and a wife beatter with a pizza stain, maybe get a pair of rubber boots and pack some dog shIt on them, put a big dip of chew in my mouth and take my date to the pond and scream gimme another beer. I guess I should also pack some axle grease under my nails and forget to wash my hands after I go to the restroom. I guess thats been the problem women like slobs. Im just wondering do the do hair plugs for you back because I have no back hair that sticks out my shirt. Hmmm

easy nancy,,,don't over do it,,,you can continue to preen yourself like a hen without fear of it turning ALL women off..
some women like it,,so chill out ..jeez it's not like anyone is teasing you or anything ya half a girl you,,it's all good..

i think we are talking extremes here,,,when the line becomes blurred and you are so feminine you might as well buy tampons and call it a day..

i'm sure you are manly in your own very effeminate way,,,you can probably kick the crap out of some gross disgusting steel worker and be at the mall for the latest sale at macy's without even batting a perfectly manicured eyelash..

has anyone figured out what is causing this yet? because i know...

single moms raising boy children,,in most of the cases i would venture a guess
no male influence to speak of,,no male role model,,we are raising an entire generation of these men/girls and i'm curious to see how women feel about the very thing they were the creators of..

so what do you think ladies? proud of your work?
they smell nice and are impeccably dressed.....

but are they men? history will tell....evolution may throw it's two sense in and don't be surprised if the first man born with a vagina is in the near future,,,
just my two cents,,,carry on
 jamie9562
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/7/2010 4:22:53 AM

*sigh*

Do you know...uh....ANYTHING about history? Or about other cultures? Or about the evolution of your own culture (even where it was just 50 years ago and how differeing the ideas of what a "man" is)?

Or, forget history. Do you know anything about philosophy or have even sat and considered the subject? ....

I have a feeling you have no clue what a man really is...you just parrot what you have been fed...

no i am a complete idiot who just repeats what i hear on the lifetime channel...what's your excuse for being an un-informed ahole?
oh and i don't have a parrot and are you insinuating i wouldn't feed it if i did?
what was your point? i gave you my opinion based on my personal observations and knowledge of human nature gathered by paying attention to people and there behaviors most of my life ..

i do not claim to have the answer to what a "man" is the definition changes from person to person,,,

now try and pay attention to all the nuances of what i wrote and stop being such a schmuck...
your the product of a single mom aren't you? c,mon tell the truth...cheeky monkey you

peace and love
 WasabiGal
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/7/2010 7:24:40 AM
A manly man can still take time with his appearance. Even iron a shirt, if need be. Shocking, but it's true.

Ragged, dirty fingernails does not make you a man. It makes you a slovenly man. And a dangerous bed partner.

North American standards for dressing are much lower than Europe. It's not uncommon to see people out in public wearing stained track pants and sneakers. And those are the women. Men are often not much better.
 jamie9562
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/7/2010 7:44:13 AM

Ok my post wasnt meant to cause a big stink. Im not talking about you jamie9562 or any other of the "manly men" that seem to have issues on how to use deodorant. I was just saying that having clean clothes, bathing, and just good hygiene should be looked at as a positive not that your not a manly man. So I apologize if I had offended you with the wife beatter pizza stain comment. I never meant to get your skid mark stained whitey tighties in a bunch. I was just blown away by some of the women that like more backwoods dressing type men, and no the backwoods thing was also not meant to be aimmed toward you. Infact I think your more metro then you think Jamie9562. Your profile said you got new teeth so im thinking your working on your appearance or maybe im wrong. Maybe its so you can eat dim good ole critters. I think you have gave me new insight jamie im going to let my nose hairs grow and when I get out of my monthly shower im able to mop the floor aswell. Looking im saving on water and saving the environment.

fair enough nancy,,i kicked you in the skirt and now your twisting my tighty whity's,,,

i did indeed do some recent self improvment and at no point have i said being clean was not a desirable thing,,don't know how you came to that conclusion,,could you cut and paste where i said and or inferred that..

i'm a new englander by the way,,,which is funny cause i happen to agree with you about some of the more,,conservative,,aspects of Midwesterners,,,

but it's all good and i busted your balls,,you busted mine back

we are quits let's go have a drink together,,,

"bartender! budweiser in a dirty glass for me! shirley temple with a swirly straw and one of those adorable umbrellas for my faggy friend!"

badabing!! oh peace bro
 jamie9562
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/7/2010 7:52:42 AM
and arty,,,,i have lived out here for 3 years,,i'm from Massachusetts born and bred sir..

very liberal and wicked smaaaaaaaaaaat,,,
listen stop getting your panties in a bunch,,i expressed an opinion,i fully admit i could be wrong,,
no need to be so defensive,,and you went off on some tangent,,i honestly don't care enough about you to dignify any of it with a response,,you are entitled to your opinion on what i said and all respect to you sir..

your knowledge of obscure "also know as " tribe is indeed impressive,,my hats of to you on this knowledge..
i'm sure i know things that you don't and visa-versa,,let's agree not to pull out our metaphorical phallus's for all to see,,
it's tasteless really,,who's is bigger and all,,,who cares

so bravo on your opinion..i respect it,,and i look forward to reading more of your stimulating posts with eager anticipation...

peace and love
 Jontheknight
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:43:12 AM
*OUCH*! I broke a nail!
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/7/2010 6:34:42 PM
When did neat and clean become strictly a feminine trait? If I don't like slovenly men, does that make me a lesbian?
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/8/2010 9:02:39 PM
I never have and couldnt date a metrosexual. I do not think a man should spend more time in a mirror than me.

No worse than the over 40 has-been jocks constantly obsessing about their aging average body and needing constant reassurance.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/14/2010 7:41:08 PM

I didn't realise there was a name for it. He isn't gay... He is married already

actually there are plenty of homosexual men who are or who have been married with children.

to me- a metro is a guy who is either extremely in the closet or just needs one little nudge to being homosexual.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/14/2010 7:53:41 PM
^^^^So are you saying that of all the married men in this country- that none of them are homosexual???
 jamie9562
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/15/2010 3:19:39 AM

It doesn't mean you're gay, it means you like to take care of your appearance, simple as that.

if it was that simple....this thread would not be 7 pages long already.....
it is not that simple,,it plays into the feminization of society and how that is affecting the perception of men and their roles in society..

it is fine to look fine when you leave the house,,,no one is arguing that,,what is being argued is "over' preparing to leave the house if you are a man,,

are you still a man if you use several different cleansers and hair products and if you shave your body hair or in any other way prepare yourself in the same manner a woman does?

what is the line?

i think that it will probably be all over the first time i hear a hetero man say " oh my god! my foundation is running! and look at my hair! it's a mess! " and then starts crying....

we can pack up our testicles at that point and just throw in the pink towel...
 matchlight
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2011 11:00:19 AM
Isn't all this just a matter of degree? I never thought wanting to look your best made you less of a man. In fact, I've always assumed women wanted us to pay attention to all the little details. I certainly appreciate it when *they* do.

When a woman thinks a man has to be a one-dimensional clod to be the real item, it makes me wonder about her. I used to get into pickup football games where we tried to break each other in two. One of my favorite things, when I was very young, was to join my Dad and the guy next door to watch the fights on TV. Later, I had two old pairs of gloves, and I spent a *lot* of hours sparring with guys I knew. And we'd all get together to drink beer someone had bought us and talk about who the hottest chicks at school were. I did all the usual stuff guys do--and luckily never got caught for some of it.

But I was also brought up to appreciate painting, and literature, and music, and gardens, and nice restaurants, and I was taught how to be polite. And just because I'd spent part of the day fixing something on my sister's car, that didn't mean I wasn't interested in spending another part of it learning some of her cooking skills. Trying to slot people into neat categories is a great way to get quite a few of them way wrong.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2011 6:19:22 AM

I "draw the line" at sharpie brows.rub on tans and perms.

Jealous!!!! (ducking)
 seagaa
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/29/2011 2:23:18 PM
[Hence the trend of feminizing males now-a-days....metro or whatever you want to call it.]

There's such a thing as TOO neat...I call it metro/gay

FWIW I won't date the female equivalent of a metro either! By that I mean those women who over do their hair, make-up, nails and everything...they look like tarts to me.....some men love them and think they're great arm candy....I'd be embarrassed to be with them! Again, there's a line that can be crossed and thennnnnnnnn overboard!

I believe in moderation....even then only moderately!

Ok but to say it is "gay" is pretty stupid.
 OutMind
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/29/2011 2:38:07 PM
Whatever floats your boat.
 OutMind
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/29/2011 4:33:49 PM

Own a cat or lapdog
Wear pink
Bake cookies
Choose alcoholic beverages ending in 'rita' and 'tini'
Drink Decaf coffee
Drink coffee with only the little pinky finger off the cup pointing in the air
Drive with both hands on the wheel
Pay over $40 for haircut
Cry and show emotion
Dance
Afraid of spiders

Oh, this can be fun.

Pink.
My cycling team main color for a few years was pink. We won the state championship, in several categories and kicked so much ass that even today, when I wear the old uniform, people salute.

Bake cookies.
Okay, I cook. I don't bake. I don't touch cookies.

Drinks that end in tini.

How about shaken, not stirred. In my book Bond is bad-ass. Well, Sawn Connery and the latest one, the other ones, wimps.

Drink decaf.

No way. Give me expresso. Stirred, not shaken.

Driving with both hands on the wheel.
If you are test driving a Porche on some speedway, you better have both hands on the wheel.

Pay over $40 for haircut

I am cheap in that department. But I tip very well.

Cry and show emotion

So okay, I cried when watching Gladiator!! Now I am learning to show emotion, but this is one that women will always hold over you. (We unsensitive b astards!)

Dance
Love to dance. I am not great, but I fake it quite well.

Afraid of spiders

Wham!! What was that? I don't know, but it sure is dead.

Okay, this was fun. But I have to go have dinner and a date.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Relationship with a "metrosexual"!