Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > An "unofficial" look at CS payment amounts.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 76
An unofficial look at CS payment amounts.Page 4 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)

The other 2 credits really don't make much of a difference as they are used in a formula to calculate how much one owes or gets refunded on an income tax return, anyone in Canada with a child gets to claim these credits, not just single mothers.

The equivalent to spouse and dependent child tax credits can only be claimed by one person though. If there is a shared parenting agreement you need a letter signed by the other parent before the CRA will let you claim those amounts.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 77
view profile
History
An unofficial look at CS payment amounts.
Posted: 10/28/2009 1:24:30 PM

Yes, I commented on how the tables are set and are law. What I am talking about though is that the table amount can be significantly more than the amount required to actually support just the children. $1800 per month for two children tax free, for example, is a hell of a lot more than the direct costs involved with supporting those two children. I would theorize that all of that extra money would be used up by the recipient of the CS payments and not be distributed to child expenses only.

I'm not an expert by no means but I think it comes down to a quality of life issue.

Lets say dad makes 80,000/year and mom makes 20,000. The total for the home is 100,000 per year. Lets say this household had a huge home, boats, cars, quads, expensive things, and such. The child is used to having all the luxuries. When the home breaks up and the child goes with mom who is making 20,000 a year and cant afford all the luxuries but dad can. It would be putting that child into poverty and a way of life that they are not used to. So to help mom keep up that way of life for the child the child support is higher.

Same thing would be if mom and dad both make 80,000/year and the total household would be 160,000. The child would be accustomed to a 160,000 a year living.

That's just my thoughts.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 1:28:35 PM
Here is an interesting fact. The real reason why Finance Minister Paul Martin switched the taxation on child support was to cover up a billion dollar income tax evasion problem.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/28/2009 1:37:56 PM

I'm not an expert by no means but I think it comes down to a quality of life issue.

Lets say dad makes 80,000/year and mom makes 20,000. The total for the home is 100,000 per year. Lets say this household had a huge home, boats, cars, quads, expensive things, and such. The child is used to having all the luxuries. When the home breaks up and the child goes with mom who is making 20,000 a year and cant afford all the luxuries but dad can. It would be putting that child into poverty and a way of life that they are not used to. So to help mom keep up that way of life for the child the child support is higher.

Same thing would be if mom and dad both make 80,000/year and the total household would be 160,000. The child would be accustomed to a 160,000 a year living.

That's just my thoughts.

I can see what you are suggesting Diamondincnd, and thank you for your thoughts. These luxuries like large homes, quads, high end home theatre, etc. are mostly for the parent though. Sure the child uses them to some extent, but not in the same way or to the same extent I would expect an adult to.

I would ask why can't the CS recipient earn more? Especially given if both parents have similar backgrounds and similar education levels. In your example where the dad earns 80k and the mom earns 20k. Why is mom only earning 20k? Or as many moms have posted on PoF where they were the "bread winners" per se while the husband was consistenly unemployed or underemployed. In either case you end up with the higher wage earner contributing what i would call spousal support, but it gets blanketed under the term child support.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/28/2009 2:08:12 PM

Also in alot of situations the mom is taking care of the kids, and may have passed on chances for career advancement for the sake of taking care of children.

That is what spousal support (alimony) is for.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 2:33:10 PM
Although women may have fought for the right to be equal this is not always the case in today's work force. Much like matriki sweet had mentioned.
I do think that if mom pushed herself that she could do better for sure though. But that was just an example given, the parents may even make the same amount of money, or the mom makes more. I think with higher incomes it comes down to quality of life and not so much the necessities of life like it does with lower incomes.
This is my theory as to why the support payments goes up with the income level.

I don't know much about alimony at all as have never dealt with it before but I'm guessing its along the same lines but just doesn't last as long. Supposedly just long enough so the person receiving it can get on there feet. For example a house wife that hasn't worked in years or a person that has a much lower income.
 Tealwood
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:04:54 PM

Sorry to those who are looking for an intimate encounter, I wont do one-night stands. I have morals.

Selective or moral choices,...do you have any problem expecting someone to finacially make up what you are unprepared or unable to earn yourself?

Morality is not simple one off issue's where the it suits or best supports your own self interest.

My ex was always looking for reasons to stay home and not work...and it had nothing to do with raising the children...as when she was home on maternity she expected...demanded I did my share of raising the children after i returned home from work...or the part time job...and she felt it only right I also got up so many times a week for the 2am feeding...as part of the parenting....even though i was the one who was working the 60hr work week.

I kind of know what its like, I got just this week dumped off one of the websites I do because a young kid who knows absolutely nothing came along who's father owns a computer store here in town. He now gets the website job, no notification or anything to me, goes to show you, if you are male and young you can get the job and keep it more often than a woman can.

Use the poor woman are victims....it never gets old for some...how about you were to slow...your attitude sucked.....your not as good as you think you are....the person in question owed a favour to the kids dad...the kid did a better dales job and your personality alienated the client????I lost and have lost orders because the other sale rep had better boobs than I have....on the the next client....I have lost orders because the other sales rep has flirted or been suggestive to the buyer...I offered the guy once but the male one male thing was not something we were going to...

As of now....over a million off last years numbers....no one's problem but me...and no one to blame but work harder...keep the clients happier...and realize there are other deals or opportunities to be achieved.....

but the North American business community is always looking to do better and save money..or buy offshore..so if woman get paid less than guys...why are men still employed when they can pay a woman less for the same job....Pleeaase....

bottom line...you lost the job and why are you always looking to blame someone else....you have had 4 serious relationships...and the blame is was always someone else...are we not seeing a trend here??? Always someone else...never looking in the mirror..or accepting things happen and things change....instead it seems it is always someone else..never accepting we all have some responsibility in where we have been and even more importantly...accepting our errors and our mistakes we find new opportunities are always there for those who reach and strive to take what they can...rather than sitting and blaming others waiting for what we feel is our right or our entitlement...
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:12:27 PM
Necessities of life = Child Support

Quality of living = Spousal Support
 diamondincnd
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:15:34 PM
Tealwood you have obvious issues towards women but that doesn't give you the right to come into a forum and try to steal the thread by bashing the women in it. We are not your ex's, don't treat us as such.
Getting back to the topic at hand...........................................

So dad has a high quality of life, how would one increase the quality of life for a child living with mom and not expect it to benefit mom.
Do you think mom is going to eat kraft dinner while across the table babe is eating steak and lobster?

Of course it will benefit mom too, I'm not saying it wouldn't.

Or is it better to have Dad in a mansion eating Steak and Lobster while mom and child are eating craft dinner all because dad is spiteful.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:33:57 PM

So dad has a high quality of life, how would one increase the quality of life for a child living with mom and not expect it to benefit mom.
Do you think mom is going to eat kraft dinner while across the table babe is eating steak and lobster?

Or is it better to have Dad in a mansion eating Steak and Lobster while mom and child are eating craft dinner all because dad is spiteful.

How about the recipient get a better career? Not trying to be solely argumentative, but I believe the system is set up to support mediocrity in some cases.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:35:41 PM
Maybe the recipient could make more money if women didn't get paid less for doing the exact same thing men do in many career feilds.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:53:12 PM
Sorry, but that is a very generalized stereotypical statement. This is 2009, not 1959, and less pay for equal work is illegal now as far as I know. There are certain career paths that are a lot more gender bias, of which many are lower earning types of careers typically filled by women.

Jobs like waitressing, housekeeping, secretarial, etc. seem to be filled by women mostly, but that does not mean that those are the jobs they must do. Hell, I was a waiter for over a year back when and I was constantly referred to as a waitress as many people weren't used to seeing a man in that type of job. I didn't receive a penny more than my female co-workers though. Just because a lot of other women work in lower earning jobs doesn't mean that they are in away restricted from higher earning career paths.

In my industry, construction, women are provided with more services and facilities than men are in an effort to try and increase female participation in the trades.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:55:18 PM

How about the recipient get a better career? Not trying to be solely argumentative, but I believe the system is set up to support mediocrity in some cases.

In Canada Thatusernameistaken, you had already mentioned that the CS is based only on the payers income so the recipient's income has nothing to do with it.
IMO Both incomes should be looked at but thats not how its done in Canada.

If you are talking about alimony and there is no reason why the recipient cant get a better job then I can see your point and I completely agree. (get off your lazy butt)

If the recipient was a house wife that hasn't worked at all for many years or has only worked minimum wage jobs with not education and the payer has a high paying career, then the recipient after the break up can go to school and the payer has to fork over the bills for school for the ex as well as alimony costs. Because now the recipient has to be reeducated.
Once the recipient is reeducated there shouldn't be any reason for them not to get a job and the alimony should stop.

(I thought this thread was about CS)
 carterscutie85
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/28/2009 4:00:11 PM
It might be illegal but it still happens. I was reading not too long ago all about it in Cosmopolitan magazine. They were listing the trades, and the stats on how much men in each trade get paid and how much women get paid. Men by far made more for equal work.
 InNCsearching
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/28/2009 5:23:40 PM
child support is bullcrap. if a woman did not have children she would still need...a house, a car, gas in the car, food (and let's face it if you make hamburger helper for 3 instead of 1 how much more is that really), she needs electricity even if alone, water, and cable tv. so what is child support really. let's say the kids have 200 dollars every 6 months in new clothes. 150 extra a month for food, 200 for extra curricular activies a year. let's say 50 dollars more in gas to drive them a month here and back to soccer practice. 50 a month for school lunches. so a person needs a house, car, electricity, water, gas in there in tank, anyway without children. so roughly the incremental cost of raising a child is about 3,000 dollars a year. now, the ex is responsible for let's say 40% of it. so the guy should pay 60% of that incremental cost of raising a kid. so about 1700 a year. or about 140 dollars a month. now if there is daycare for a toddler then he should pay half that cost or 300 max more a month so about 440 max a month. now if the child is a teenager, then there is no law that says that dad has to pay if they want a cell phone or a car or car insurance. those are luxuries and i had to work for that when i was a teenager. so that shouldn't be computed.

so barring extenuating circumstances like your child has multiple personality disorder and needs hospitalization child support is a free income to the mother. now if she says well she doesn't work well......i bet she would have to if the ex died now wouldn't she? everyone needs to work but not if they are rewarded for not working.

so i don't mind child support but the whole calculation is all screwed up. people need the basics without children and there is such a thing as saying "no" to a child or not dragging him to the doctor every second for a sniffle and making the ex pay for it. if they were single and no child support or still in a husband and wife marriage they would say....think the kid is sick enough to go...we really can't afford it. but because they can...they drag them, hold out their hand and say i can do what i want so pay up.

some women don't get any money. and i think that sucks. but the majority that do based on the calculations, you know you're ripping people off. no worse than the banking industry right now.
 Tealwood
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/28/2009 6:47:53 PM

It might be illegal but it still happens. I was reading not too long ago all about it in Cosmopolitan magazine. They were listing the trades, and the stats on how much men in each trade get paid and how much women get paid. Men by far made more for equal work.

Well take home pay and per hour are two different things....

full time hours are based on...in Canada a 36 hr work week....so the whiners...the feminists who complain about the income disparity talk about someone working 36hrs...and compare i to some tradesman who works 60 hrs...and suggests they get paid the same????
 Tealwood
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/28/2009 7:40:37 PM

Tealwood you have obvious issues towards women but that doesn't give you the right to come into a forum and try to steal the thread by bashing the women in it. We are not your ex's, don't treat us as such.
Getting back to the topic at hand...........................................

LOL...what happened to your arguement about they both earned $2,000 per month or $22,000 per year...or $24,000....and then went to the fall back $80,000 and $20,000?

I would suggest the father is required to pay cs to support his children...But then the question is required to be asked....why would he marry some bimbo who is unable to actually earn an income? And why is this woman not capable of actually earning an income...perhaps she just figures she can get by on her good looks...or she as a woman feels entitled to being taken care of by a man...nothing better than watching some woman who at 20's was the cat meow...and had everything...and the guys would do anything for....when they reach 30 something...they find the " bloom " is waning and can no longer get the guys to fall over themselves...to please her...

Now I would have thought that you had integrity...pride...that you were actually capable or earning your own income...????as opposed to living of the avails of some man...I think there is an occupations that has done that....but then they actually earn an income...

I refuse to get into another flaming war with some man who thinks yet again they are above everyone else.

You were not in my relationships, so you do not know what happened, being beaten, my daughter being beaten, being cheated on is NOT MY FAULT, nor is it any other womans fault. If you think we deserve it then you seriously have issues.

How come your single? Must be your fault eh?

Very lame....very cheap....I was contacted by victim services and given a referral...but it seems they service did not accept men.....the reality was...I allowed the abuse....the physical assault to occur and the verbal and emotional garbage to escalate and be part of the relationship. That was something I allowed.
But then i reached a point where i would no longer allow or tolerate it.

Why am I single. Because I choose it. Or perhaps because I am unable to attract decent woman or good looking woman. You can come up with whatever comment you feel best suits your need for an answer. But part of the reason I am single is attributed to me..or my choices.

The problems that was part of my marriage was my doing. I allowed it to occur because I felt I was not good enough for anything better...or I was unable to get anything better. That was my problem or my issue's in allowing the problem or the verbal emotional assault to occur. When it became physical and i allowed it to occur because it never actually physically hurt...then again it was my fault because I allowed or enabled the physical assault. Then there was a day when I realized that i did not care...I did not care what happened..i did care what the response might be...and i ended the marriage. Not because i was hurt or afraid of being hurt...i was afraid that I no longer cared about getting into trouble if I retaliated.

My issues..or my own lack of self confidence in who i was allowed or enabled my ex to physically assaulted me...when she felt anger..or her depression/anger boiled over.

Bottom line...you suggest 4 destructive relationships....you need to look in a mirror and realize that you are equally responsible in that you attract that type of man....or you are equally part of the relationship in respect to where it breaks down.

I walked away. I realized that I did not need a relationship to be happy. I am satisfied being single if the relationship or partner is not what i am looking for.

Who cares if you are cheated on. The reality is the relationship was not what you thought it was...if they are cheating...and then the reality is...it is you...not the ex who made the miscalculation. At the end...i am sure my ex cheated...and who cares. I never did...I later realized the only considerations i needed to worry about was myself.

There are more than a few woman on this site who i have great admiration and respect for.....you just are not one of them as you seem to have this affection for hiding behind the victim label.

A self confident independent individual who is capable of earning and forging their own way in life does need someone else to support or provide for them or their children. A user...a leach or someone who looks for someone else to provide for them..someone who is unable to actually provide for themself and their children are then perhaps more inclined to tolerate or enable this situation...because they need someone else to pay or provide because they are themselves unable to do so for them,self....so yes...they are just as responsible.
 m__c
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/28/2009 7:51:36 PM
Matariki....Once again How can a women can't even make more then 3000/Annam so that she can receive the Working family benefit??????????????That's interesting.
Second ...If 9600 Tax credit does not make any difference , then why you oppose it when I suggested that the CS payer should Get it. Obviously it does make a huge difference.

For all the Females who are complaining about the wage difference....There are a lot of Female CEO's who are running the companies, somehow they have never complained about the wage issue.......Wow Interesting for example the CEO of Pepsi is a female.

Rest assured..The jobs are allocated to the qualified Candidates. Every immigrant has faced this situation but rather then complaining about it they went and update themselves to qualify for the better jobs.

This CS issue is a Major issue for every one. The only way to resolve is that " Don't have something one don't need".... That's it Love , live and enjoy the life. Have it with some one with honesty and dignity and advise him of it, then there will be lesser problem about it.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 8:15:07 PM
Tealwood

LOL...what happened to your arguement about they both earned $2,000 per month or $22,000 per year...or $24,000....and then went to the fall back $80,000 and $20,000?

These were two different made up scenarios, try to follow the conversation will you.

I would suggest the father is required to pay cs to support his children...But then the question is required to be asked....why would he marry some bimbo who is unable to actually earn an income? And why is this woman not capable of actually earning an income...perhaps she just figures she can get by on her good looks...or she as a woman feels entitled to being taken care of by a man...nothing better than watching some woman who at 20's was the cat meow...and had everything...and the guys would do anything for....when they reach 30 something...they find the " bloom " is waning and can no longer get the guys to fall over themselves...to please her...

Again this is another example of your issue’s not mine and so is the rest of your message #135.

My personal scenario is never mentioned and you have no grounds to assume what I’m like in life.

V_C

If 9600 Tax credit does not make any difference , then why you oppose it when I suggested that the CS payer should Get it

We have already discussed this. There is no such credit for $9600 or the $2000 you had mentioned in other threads. Just ask any parent or non parent here.

Is it possible to stick to the topic at hand.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/28/2009 8:24:33 PM
Diamond - This thread is about CS, what I am saying is that I feel the table amounts go above and beyond child support (outside of low income situations) and that the extra money is actually used as spousal support but is under the guise of child support. I was mentioning the recipients income as it relates to balancing a perceived "quality of living" standard.

Carterscutie - No offense, but you are quoting "facts" from a woman's magazine whose current headline is "What you always wanted to know about talking dirty". That's equivalent to me quoting Maxim for information on menopause. I have been in the construction industry since I was 17 and I have worked for women, worked along side women and have had them work for me. In not a single situation EVER was a woman ever paid less than a man, nor have I ever even heard of such a thing. I'll take 1st hand information over a puff magazine any day of the week.
 ValkyrieHJR
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/28/2009 9:47:41 PM
Okay, I actually had the opportunity to write a paper on this when I was in school. I found some very interesting facts, unfortunately, I don't remember my sources.

There is no such thing as the glass ceiling anymore. That is true. There are plenty of women CEOs, CFOs, COOs, on boards of directors, etc. But ask any single one of them what they had to give up to get there. I guarantee they don't have good family lives. They may have children, they may be married, but for most of these women they had to choose which would come first, their career or their family and they chose their career. I am not faulting that. That is their choice.

next to note, several studies have been done that compare jobs that are typically male and typically female and the amount of money paid in each job. The example on e particular study used was a painter's helper and a secretary. These are obviously 2 completely different jobs, but both jobs required approximately the same amount of education and actual labor. But a secretary is obviously more commonly a woman while a painter's helper is more commonly a man. That being said, women, on the average, earned 70% of what men earned. This does not mean that of both a man and woman were painter's helpers the man would be making 30% more than the woman. That is actually extremely illegal here in the states. It just means that positions that are more typically assigned as being a "woman's job" tend to pay less than those typical assigned to men.

There is no need to start flaming me for this post. I am well aware that a painter's helper may seem like a more labor intensive position than a secretary and therefor should require a higher pay. I cannot honestly say that one is worth more than the other as I have never been either. I am just restating the facts that I discovered.

I think Stacey has a very good point, also. In this economy and culture, single mothers have a very difficult time finding work simply because they are single parents. The employers have to be concerned with reliability and such. Once again, there is nothing wrong with a company doing that. That is just smart business. But at the same time it does contribute to women making less money than men.

*steps off soapbox* Sorry I know that whole thing was completely off topic, so I will shut up now....

diamondincnd
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 11:44:43 PM
I have an example of how men are paid better then women in some jobs.
I worked at a fish plant for a bit and when I was hired I was getting $8/hour, the same as all the women that was hired there. There was approximately the same amount of men as there was women employed. At the time I had no idea what the men were getting to start until my BF at the time got a job there. He was doing the same job as me in fact we stood beside each other on the line. He started at 11.50/hour and after that we started to talk to other employee's we found out that all the men started higher then the women for no reason.

Yes I know, off topic.

Getting back to the child support thing.
Earlier on in the thread I made up a scenario were the babe's bills for the month were $750. Tealwood brought up that the Universal Child Care Benefit should be shared by both parents in order to offset the cost of the child expense then split the difference.
So what if this happens? Mom is very lucky; (which majority of people are not) she gets all kinds of handouts. Say she lives in Ontario and she is getting…

Contribution to Babe's bills

277 Canada Child Tax Benefit
+100 Universal Child Care Benefit
+100 Ontario Child Benefit
+214 CPP Children benefit
+200 Grand Parents Contribution (Rich grand parents want to help out.)
=891.00

My earlier scenario suggests the babe’s cost being $750/month. With this scenario she is getting $891.00 and so more then the childs expense. I haven’t even added dad’s contribution yet. So Daddy Tealwood sees this as off setting the cost of babe and says “Well you don’t need any more so I’m not giving you any more”. So daddy Tealwood takes off and does nothing to contribute and just walks away from his responsibilities.
So Tealwood according to you does this entitle a non-custodial parent to walk out on the financial responsibilities?

Or better yet…lol…since the hands outs should be shared does she owe you half of the $141.00 left over?
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:16:22 AM

I don't know who all these women are who are getting this extravagant amount of money

There are many, many people who pay or receive high CS amounts. You use the word "extravagant" to describe these higher amounts. One of the things I have been trying to quantify in this thread is how much money is "extravagant" and how much is legit for costs.

all you bitter ass men are whining about

I understand that you're pissed at a few of the people posting, but I feel that all people should try not to generalize. I for one do not feel that I am "whining"; I would like to make sure that child support is just child support and not alimony. There are separate rules for alimony, and it should be separated entirely from any child support amounts.

I doubt it is as common as you would make it out to be.

Who knows. I've never seen the stats on what the average awarded amount of CS is, I doubt it is even tracked like that.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:36:56 AM
All of your facts are pretty good ConciousSoul. I have commented myself that the first few years of a baby's life can be expensive.

Just as a side note though, the way you were talking in this thread I assumed that you had kids, but I just looked at your profile and it says that you don't. Whats up with that?
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:43:19 AM
***think the kid is sick enough to go...we really can't afford it. but because they can...they drag them, hold out their hand and say i can do what i want so pay up. ***

Have you ever taken a sick child to the doctor with a waiting room full of sick kids/people? Oh yeah, i DEFINITELY do it for the money. NOT.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > An "unofficial" look at CS payment amounts.