Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > An "unofficial" look at CS payment amounts.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 101
An unofficial look at CS payment amounts.Page 5 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
**Or better yet…lol…since the hands outs should be shared does she owe you half of the $141.00 left over?***

How about she puts it in a college fund. not all expenses are the same month to month either.
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 102
An unofficial look at CS payment amounts.
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:59:54 AM
***Raising a kid isn't cheap***

You are exactly right. And the whole idea of child support is not whether the mom (or dad) are spending it for them instead. It's about making the environment for the child similar to what it was with 2 parents in the picture, so that their quality of life is comparable to what it would be with both parents.

I know in my case ($173.40 a month for 1 child, my other daughter's father does not pay) $50 a month of that goes towards a college mutual fund, so that it will make money and compound over the years until she goes to college in 2 years. That leaves about $123 a month to cover food, clothing, and other necessities.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/29/2009 10:21:06 AM

And the whole idea of child support is not whether the mom (or dad) are spending it for them instead. It's about making the environment for the child similar to what it was with 2 parents in the picture, so that their quality of life is comparable to what it would be with both parents.

When two households become one both parents have to be responsible for quality of living, not just one as may have been the case during a marriage.

I know in my case ($173.40 a month for 1 child, my other daughter's father does not pay) $50 a month of that goes towards a college mutual fund, so that it will make money and compound over the years until she goes to college in 2 years. That leaves about $123 a month to cover food, clothing, and other necessities.

How about $1991/mo for two children when the parents have a shared custody 50/50 arrangement? I would suggest that would more than cover any costs to the recipient. There are extremes on both ends of the scale, I just think that the table amounts are wrong as the payers income goes up.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/29/2009 12:27:39 PM
Seems I wrote that first reply backwards.

It should have read:

When one household becomes two both parents have to be responsible for quality of living, not just one parent as may have been the case during a marriage.

My bad.
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/29/2009 1:54:51 PM
I think that was what i was saying??? The custodial parent gets the financial support from the non-custodial parent so that the child has the same quality of life as it was when there were 2 parents.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/29/2009 1:57:06 PM

I think that was what i was saying??? The custodial parent gets the financial support from the non-custodial parent so that the child has the same quality of life as it was when there were 2 parents.

Yes, and I agree with you in that it appears that child support is set up that way. What I am saying is that in my opinion that isn't child support anymore but better defined as spousal support.
 ValkyrieHJR
Msg: 107
Posted: 10/29/2009 2:04:52 PM

I would like to make sure that child support is just child support and not alimony. There are separate rules for alimony, and it should be separated entirely from any child support amounts.

I have not had a chance to completely research this, but here in SC I have been told they have instituted a receipt system if the social services is involved. They allow $25.00 per child to be put towards the power bill, nothing can go towards the phone, unless the child(ren) has a gps phone where they push a button and it dials the police or the parent's phone. It cannot go towards cable or internet or satellite, even if you mainly have those for the kids. Most children in this situation are receiving Medicaid, which completely covers their medical costs, which includes dental, eye glasses, and any other necessary medical expense so there should be no need for the child support money to pay for any medical expenses. It cannot go towards gas for the car, car payments, insurance, rent or anything else like that. After that money goes towards the power bill, everything else has to have a receipt and it all has to be spent on the kids. It can be used for food, clothes, toys, etc.

Like I said, I have not had a chance to research any of this as of yet, so I may have been misinformed or there may e details that I have left out or things that I just don't know as of yet regarding this.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 108
Posted: 10/29/2009 2:08:52 PM
ValkyrieHJR -

I would like to see something like you suggest here. I'd honestly be surprised to learn that this is true even in SC though. I haven't heard anyone mention something like this being in place in North America yet.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 2:23:42 PM
What about things that don't have a receipt? Things like the child's allowance or you went to garage sale's and bought the child things. I'm not sure how its possible to know to a "T" what was spent on that child.
Another Note
Have you ever been in business and had to save all the business receipts? Have you ever thrown in extra's out of your personal spending for example you buy a printer for home just because you could? There would be so many ways to cheat on the paper work I cant see it happening.
 ValkyrieHJR
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/29/2009 2:30:39 PM
My ex was telling me about it. Not that it matters, since he doesn't work and doesn't pay anything anyway. He's not exactly a reliable source though. He tends to spin facts to suit him.

I would like to see something similar, but I think that the CS should be able to go towards things like cable and such, as long as it is being used for the kids as well. Things like car payments and such would be included up to a certain percentage (less than 1/2).

I am not saying this because I am a greedy money sucking type. I am saying this because if the family were still together, they would both be paying towards the car payment, or the rent, etc.

Now, say for instance Jo Schmoe has to $200 a month. And July Schmoe gets the check for that in the middle of the month. Assuming that she has things budgeted out, and she needs to pay out a good bit of money before she gets that check. and the amount includes part of what is budgeted from that $200 payment. I don't have an issue if she takes that money back out of the $200 to buy something that she may need. Don't mistake me, I am not saying she needs to be buying fur coats and jewels or anything like that. I am all about making sacrifices for my kids. But it may be that she needs to get something for work or personal items. But that also should not be a regular thing.

Edit for above ^^^^^ Diamond, I didn't say I necessarily agree with the way it is working right now. I think that the some of that money should be able to go towards things like cheerleading or sports, or camp or things like that. I think that both parents should be responsible for their children and that should include the activities they want to participate in. Once again, I think that because if the parents were still together, this would be another expense that both would be contributing to, under normal circumstances.

I also did say that I may not have all of the facts yet. I have not had a chance to completely research this yet, and it came from a somewhat unreliable source.
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 111
Posted: 10/29/2009 2:46:21 PM
This is basically what i've been saying. If you are allegated to pay child support, it shouldn't matter where it goes necessarily. It is to supplement the custodial parent's income so that the child has a good lifestyle. I'm sure if the custodial parent was a man, he wouldn't appreciate having to keep receipts for his spending! The custodial parent is spending money to raise their child, the child support is replacing that money. I've never received an extravagant amount of money to come even close to going out and spending it on myself. There have been a few occasions where he had to pay a large chunk sum to keep from going to jail, and over half of it went in my daughter's college fund. The other half went to some needs she had.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 2:51:04 PM
I already do that, I keep receipts for everything. I can tell social security what I spent the ssi money on and other receipts for the tax man and if need be, for child support office to show what I spend on the kids.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 3:10:14 PM
Matariki Sweet

Our welfare system sucks in BC, Just like if the recipient was honest enough to claim that they won $5 on a scratch an win the recipient will see's a $5 reduction on their next check. Bad huh? Oh and they also stopped sponsoring recipients for school. I could go on and on and I don't even collect welfare....

When the recipient leaves welfare does FMEP give back all the money from how ever long they were on it, or is that money just gone into thin air?
 carterscutie85
Msg: 114
Posted: 10/29/2009 3:53:55 PM
In the U.S, at least in Ohio, you don't get both child support and a welfare check, either. It's one or the other, and u only get to collect the check for 3 years. I don't know how much higher it is for multiple kids, but for 1 child u get around $350 for the check and $350 for food stamps. Welfare takes your child support if u are getting a check from them, even if your child support is higher. If u were collecting a check and then your c/s got ordered and it happens to be more then the check, u have to go down there and tell them u want c/s instead of the check, if u don't u just continue to get the check and welfare keeps the difference.

The good thing about the 36 months though, is you don't have to take it for 36 months straight. Say if u needed it for 6 months, then didn't need it so u got off it. You'd still be able to sign back up for it if need be, and you'd still have 30 months left.
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/29/2009 6:23:07 PM
wonderingsoul...i'm assuming you are responding to the comment i made. You took it a little farther than i meant. If you took all the expenses and cut them in half, it would be a ridiculous sum of money each month. What i meant (of which you took too literal) is that the child support is not technically the child's money, but to supplement what the custodial parent (notice i'm not automatically saying mom) is making so that the child's life is not affected drastically by the parents not being together in the financial sense. This interpretation of child support comes directly from my child support caseworker. This is how she explained child support to me when I was awarded my small amount of $173.40 a month.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 116
Posted: 10/30/2009 6:26:00 AM
I get a form of Medicaid called "Paramount" and it covers contact lenses...hmm, wonder why it's different for you.

It does not completely cover dental. It covers some things but it does not cover braces, for one, and if you see more than 1 dentist in a 6 month period, it will not pay for the extra dentist u seen. It only pays for the first one. Learned that when I wanted to switch from Dentist. I-Love-Root-Canals to the handsome dentist who took care of me-minus the root canals. Paramount paid for the second dentist, but that's because I was having problems with the first one so they made an exception.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 117
Posted: 10/30/2009 12:15:32 PM
Not trying to be an ass here, but it seems like a lot of the posters in this thread are or have been on welfare. What's up with that?
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 2:24:55 PM

Not trying to be an ass here, but it seems like a lot of the posters in this thread are or have been on welfare. What's up with that?

sometimes people need the help. When this all started for me I had a 2 day old and a 15 month old and lost my job because the 2 day old could not go to daycare and needed me. So yes I did go on welfare and am not ashamed to admit it. I also worked all my life and have been paying into that system I had to ask for help from.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 4:34:56 PM
A story I thought I would add....

A women that has 2 children 100% full custody and a man who was making $40,000 per year as a computer nut went to family court . The BC courts ordered that the dad paid $550 for child support. Shortly after, the dad decided he wanted a career change. He wanted to start up his own business in land scape design so he went back to school for a year to learn about his interest's and after he was finished he started his own business.

He was making -
previous years $40,000 as PC tech
Yr 2 $10,000 while at school
Yr 3 $9,000 business start up
Yr4 $15,000 In business
Yr5 $17,000 In business
Yr 6 $18,000 In business

The father had not paid any child support during this time and was in arrears approximately $40,000. He went back to court and tried to have his amount owing lowered due to his lowered incomes. The judge looked at it as he was deliberately under employed and still had the full potential to be making $40,000 per year, so no changes were made to the amount owing in arrears or any future amount.

True Story.

carterscutie85
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/30/2009 4:48:39 PM
^^

Sounds to me like the judge didn't beleive that he wanted a career change, and thinks he changed his career so he could be making less and ask for a decrease in c/s.

It's really hard to get c/s lowered regardless, because it's the child's money and most judges don't like to take away money from the child if they can help it.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 7:37:48 PM
To provide the best for his /her kids. I know lots of custodial parents that are happy with what they get, it's the ones that aren't getting any help that aren't happy and someof them don't care about the money either. And then yes, there are those that want it all and more.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 7:56:06 PM
PPP thats a good one, pretty wide brush. Oh and if you ever need that seat installed just give me a ring, lol.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 8:02:18 PM
HPotter
Its not just about the ex's. I have come across many of custodial parents that don't want nor need the support money. The judge however see's things differently and orders CS regardless if the custodial parents wants it or not.

In my situation I am going to have a hearing soon and my main objective is for Custody and access. The support part is way down on my list of what is truly important to me.
I am however interested in how the whole legal thing works just because of the mere fact that I don't have a choice when we stand in front of the judge and neither does the ex.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 8:15:31 PM
hahaha, not to threat jack but I got rid of the trans am for an SUV for the same reason. Not as cool as the car but still cool, lol.
 Tealwood
Msg: 125
Posted: 10/30/2009 9:55:39 PM

HPotter
Its not just about the ex's. I have come across many of custodial parents that don't want nor need the support money. The judge however see's things differently and orders CS regardless if the custodial parents wants it or not.

In my situation I am going to have a hearing soon and my main objective is for Custody and access. The support part is way down on my list of what is truly important to me.

I have doubts...and I am sure you will not find anyone here who will believe that you would ever stand up and tell the judge I do not need the cs and i am not interested in the cs. But I have known a couple of custodial dads who have done it....so it does happen.

next year...I will be applying for a divorce and as part of the application I will not be asking for cs nor will I want it..and in fact will refuse to accept it. It has been or will be over 7yrs where I have been seen and acknowledged as the primary custodial parent.

I am however considering she be required to pay part of the educational costs of post secondary education...but have not decided if the effort..the potential issues it will bring up are worth the legal investment.

Tax credit does not make any difference , then why you oppose it when I suggested that the CS payer should Get it

We have already discussed this. There is no such credit for $9600 or the $2000 you had mentioned in other threads. Just ask any parent or non parent here.

Sorry but as a custodial parent....I have claimed it for each of the taxation years I have been a single parent. I would use 2008 but I never did get the electronic copy...but the 2007 year...bold as brass.....Non-refundable tax credit line 300 $9600 and line 303 $9600 (spouse or eligible dependant) used to be called equivalent to married ...
And then line 367...$2,000 Amount for children.....TAX CREDIT

Now if you have not used these easily understood and available tax credits ...whose problem is that?

Many people live in apartments, not houses. It takes a down payment to have a house. If you live in an apartment, you may have to upgrade from a 1 room apartment to a two room apartment, because you need a room for the child. That's a significant rent increase.

And that increase cost would also be required for a non custodial parent who wanted to be a significant part of his child's life both today and long into the future...

But like many other issue's Soulman you seem only fixated on the plight of woman...yet you claim...

I am family-life education professional.

That would suggest understanding and compassion for both households....yet the only interest you ever seem to hold is for the mother...Soulman ...never sure if it is based out of your feminist orientated university education...or you hope it might attract some action?

Montrealhttp://www.canadaimmigrants.com/Montrealiving.asp

Average Rent for Two-Bedroom Apartments in 2007
$647.00 per month
Source: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. 2007.

Now for 2009 that is up to $668.
http://www.louer.com/montreal-apartments.htm
or

Apartments in Montreal
The advantages of renting an apartment in Montreal also make it difficult to find the right one. Services such as Louer.com will greatly help in your search, however rent prices and location are important to consider.

One can expect to find a one-bedroom Montreal apartments for approximately $600 to $800 CDN per month, and between $700 to $1200 CDN per month for a two-bedroom apartment. Of course, these are just average prices, and they may vary depending on a number of factors (number of rooms, quality of apartment, nearby services, etc.).

Without a kid, you can manage very well on public transport. Some people with kids have no choice but to manage on public transport even though it's hell to do so, because they don't have the money. A car is expansive as hell, if you include the cost of the car, insurance, license, registration, and gas, not to mention repairs. With a kid, especially a infant who must be transported in a special crib, you may not have the choice to get a car.

I would suggest that having a child does not then give you an allowance or a free pass to buying a car. But then that reasoning would also suggest the non custodial father also needs a car when he picks up his child or children for his access time...or are you suggesting that this is only worthy for the custodial parent...or the weak not capable woman?

But a fully capable fully responsible parent would not have children if they could not afford the necessities? Would they?

If the logic is that it takes two parents to adopt a child, then two lesbians or two gay parents are a couple, just like a heterosexual couple.

And second, single moms ARE allowed to adopt, in many states, certainly in more states than the number of states that allow LGBT marriages, for instance.

That remark stinks of homophobia.

It does stink of homophobia....but many of your statements stink of a self serving desperate attempt to find approval from woman...or simply a misandrist ....

I happen to not hate my ex. I happen to feel it important that one leaves non custodial parents dignity as well and a home where they can also enjoy or be a family. Something that you Soulman seem uncaring and uninterested in exploring or conceding.

but you have suggested

- Children need AS MANY responsible, caring, nurturing, attached ADULT role model as we can provide them while they grow up. Two is better than one, yet three would be better than two, and so on. These attached adults can be anyone, not just the biological parents, so long as they create real bounding relationship and act as models. Not "role" models - simply models.

Yet you assume the woman is finacially not capable of earning an income and the father is to be the finacial provider. I always advocate that both parents work full time and equally provide for their children...leaves out the Lizzie....the one who works part time and would struggle to maintain her 2,000 sq foot house without the cs she derives from her two children...the two children who supposedly expressed interest in living with dad and who will not until dad gets a court order.....

I have seen many NCP Dad's suggest that they share the tax deductions to maximize or gain the available tax credits available....how sad is that?....It all comes down to dollars and cents dosen't it?.....NCP's dollars and the CP sense....

Decisions based on dollars and cents seem to go both ways....even though after numerous posts...you did come up with not going to school...as an after thought?

Tealwood

LOL...what happened to your arguement about they both earned $2,000 per month or $22,000 per year...or $24,000....and then went to the fall back $80,000 and $20,000?

These were two different made up scenarios, try to follow the conversation will you.

No problem following the conversation...nor doing some of the math...but what would your suggestion be with the mother earning the $80,000 and the non custodial father earning $30,000.....based on the legal requirements he still pays cs....

A women that has 2 children 100% full custody and a man who was making $40,000 per year as a computer nut went to family court . The BC courts ordered that the dad paid $550 for child support. Shortly after, the dad decided he wanted a career change. He wanted to start up his own business in land scape design so he went back to school for a year to learn about his interest's and after he was finished he started his own business. The father had not paid any child support during this time and was in arrears approximately $40,000. He went back to court and tried to have his amount owing lowered due to his lowered incomes. The judge looked at it as he was deliberately under employed and still had the full potential to be making $40,000 per year, so no changes were made to the amount owing in arrears or any future amount.

True Story.

And not a problem with that premise....another true story guy in Ontario who was a tool and die operator but hated his job and the life. After he separated from his wife he quit and went back to school to be a teacher...the courts would not allow his cs to be rolled back while he was in school so he could retrain himself..suggesting it was his responsibility to finacially provide for his children...again not a problem with this premise.

yet they do not have this finacial expectation for woman going to school?

I know for a FACT that any and all daycare expenses and extra cirricular activity expenses paid by the NCP are tax deductable for the father if he chooses to pay them according to the equalized calculations.

CHILD CARE EXPENSES DEDUCTIBILITY

In certain circumstances of shared custody the higher earning spouse may in fact be able to deduct child care expenses. Again, the deductible of these expenses can be highly beneficial. The maximum claim for a child under age 7 for child care expenses is $7,000 per year and it reduces to a maximum of $4,000 per year for children over age 7.

These expenses must be paid for child care, nursery school, day camp, or an educational institution.

So must thank you on this point Liz as a few years ago it was not possible...only the mother or custodial parent was able to claim the child care expenses....but i have been told the extraordinary expenses were different. There is also something about if the non custodial is paying child care and the custodial is not capable due to school or illness...but otherwise any daycare costs are not deductible.

But feel free to prove me wrong....I tend not to review as often the tax deductions of
the non custodial....
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > An "unofficial" look at CS payment amounts.